HomeSmart from Xcel Energy Minnesota

Founded 1989 • With Angi since July 2010

4.3

3115 Centre Pointe Dr

Saint Paul, MN 55113

Don’t wait for an appliance to break down in your home. Enroll in a customized appliance repair plan, serviced by our trusted service experts, and enjoy peace of mind knowing that your home comfort is in good hands. Select the Essential Repair Plan ($18.95/month) to cover your choice of four

11/10/2022

Patricia P.

Scam. Absolute scam. I couldn't even get anything fixed. The hold times are horrible, half the people that I do talk to are as confused as I am. I've finally had it and canceled my services after a 1 year contract. Called and paid off the rest of the year (Nov 2022) and specifically told them to not renew, and will be cancelling. They said ok, and I thought that was it. 2 weeks later, I got a letter stating that they renewed our contract. What?? I called, again on hold for the longest time, and they said "Oh we send those out automatically! We still have you here as canceled!" Sure, why would I doubt that? Well, just yesterday, I got an email asking for payment for December. I cannot be on hold again for something that you can't do right. You're not paying for the time I'm wasting on you. I will be leaving 1 star reviews on every platform I can find to warn others about this scam.

Description of Work
It doesn't matter when I couldn't get a hold of anybody. What's the point?

01/05/2021

MICHELLE H.

I am 85 years old and live alone. My furnace stopped working the evening of January 2, 2021. I called HomeSmart the next morning on January 3 to schedule an appointment and was told it would be approximately two hours for someone to return the call to schedule something (not sure why the woman taking the information could not just schedule an appointment?). After waiting the two hours, I called HomeSmart again and was told that someone did call back from HomeSmart and leave a message, neither of which actually happened (no call, no message; my Xfinity bill can prove it). Another several hours went by and finally I received a call. I told the man who called that I had been waiting for hours to address a non-functioning furnace and his response was that he “just got the information” and "it's not my fault". His tone was rude and belligerent. I told him that we had already contacted some other companies to address the issue but before I finished explaining, he hung up the phone on me. I wanted to ask him what my options were through HomeSmart, but since he had hung up I decided not to deal with him and try to find other options. I was already anxious enough about not having heat in January in Minnesota. While I diligently paid my $55.00 to HomeSmart each and every month, HomeSmart has not complied with its contractual obligations to me. This is disgraceful; why would I (or anyone) continue to pay for such terrible service?

Description of Work
My furnace stopped working

Category appliance repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac, home warranty companies

09/16/2020

John T.

We have the program where 8 appliances are covered by homesmart. On our online main page it list covered appliances and the last one says water heater-tankless and being covered. We now have a leaking hot water heater and they are saying that they do not cover tankless hot water heaters in minnesota. The side note of tankless also has more text that you cant see online of a risk note. So I spoke to the rep last night to set up service. She put it through and I even said on the call our tankless hot water heater is leaking so very nicely she put an urgent status on it. Got the phone call this morning from the service people saying oh they dont cover those you need to call them right away so I did. The representative was on a phone that kept cutting out and was very difficult trying to talk with him. Then it cleared up a bit to the point where we had the conversation and told me it wasn't not covered in minnesota but it is in colorado. I was like then why does it say covered appliances water heater-on our main page. He couldn't answer me and said he escalated it back to his supervisor with no specific time of call back and I was going to ask him but his phone kept cutting out so I hung up. I waited about 3.5-4 hours and called back since I hadn't heard anything. Now I am a authorized user on the xcel account and have now spoken to 2 reps that i have clearly stated my name and this was my spouses account that I am an authorized user on. I said to the 3rd rep my name and I am calling as a supervisor was supposed to call me back due to these reasons. She again stated that tankless water heaters aren't covered. I said well my online says it is covered. She told me the article and page of the service agreement where it says they are not. I said well then why doez it still say this and then she said there's a side note. I was like there is no side note or anywhere I can click to see the side note saying that it was not covered. Then she comes back and says it can be days before a supervisor gets back to you . I was like but my water heater is leaking to the point it has ruined a door now and possibly walls. (We ourselves have buckets to catch the water.) Then she said what's you name and i told her and she's like you are not a user on this account and I am like yes I am. I have scheduled a couple repairs before from my own log in page and my spouse has their own log in page. I also said I have the screenshot of it showing it online and she said I cant even talk to you any more about this until you are a user and was super rude. I said thank you and hung up. I cant believe this is happening. It has been a wonderful service so far but this is the last straw. I am going to be telling everyone who will listen about this experience and possibly escalating it to legal and the better business bureaus and other consumer reporting sites and bloggers. Sorry xcel this is not ok. So make sure you read that service agreement with a fine tooth comb as i dont want to see another family get hurt. Especially when i had major back surgery last week and dealing with this has caused even more pain and suffering. If it were possible id switch power somewhere else.

Description of Work
Tankless Water Heater repair

Category appliance repair, plumbing, water heater repair

01/26/2020

Jay D.

Technician unable to repair. Indicated need professional cleaning. Gave me suggestion on who to call and left. Nice enough guy, but it's January in Minnesota and I have no operational heating unit.

Description of Work
Need hot water heating system repaired

05/31/2018

frederick W.

Both the furnace and central air were tuned up prior to the season.

Description of Work
Furnace and air conditioning tuneups

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for the great review!

02/26/2018

Jackie E.

Homesmart appears to be a good deal...HOWEVER...if you look at what is NOT covered, it is a mile long with the most costly repairs not covered. It is very deceiving, so think long and hard before you commit to a year of payments and are stuck with a worthless plan. Preventive is also not covered, like it is with Sears. Basically, the plan covers nothing expensive, it covers things like knobs and soap dispensers, but heaven help you if something big goes wrong.. It locks you into a year contract and you have no way out even if you are not satisfied. It is a racket and should be illegal. If you choose you can add a preventive maintenance, and replacement plan but it will cost, much more. Then you are spending a bucket load of money for a things like "replacement" which gives you LESS then it would cost to replace the item. Worthless! Don't do it!!!

Description of Work
Broken Washer

Category appliance repair

I apologize for your bad experience. I would like to learn more about your specific situation and make this right. If you wouldn't mind giving me a call on at 651-639-4491 at your earliest convenience, it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to speaking with you and working toward earning back your business.

02/09/2018

Susan B.

On time courteous but inexperienced with my high efficiency boiler no consistency in service techs. Had to come back multiple times with no effective repair done

Description of Work
I needed service for a high efficiency boiler. Kept sending out sub contractor KB Service co that continued to attempt repairs but had no idea how to diagnose or deal with the problem.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, energy audit

Hi [Member Name Removed], I apologize for your bad experience. I would like to learn more about your specific situation and make this right. If you wouldn't mind giving me a call on at 651-639-4491at your earliest convenience, it would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to speaking with you and working toward earning back your business.

09/27/2017

John A.

It's part of the service. We pay a monthly fee for coverage on key appliances. It includes the heater and the air conditioner. We're very pleased. We've been with them for years. They have good value. The main reason I like them is reliability. We thought we got the best overall value. Everybody we've seen has been professional.

Description of Work
A/C tune-up.

09/07/2017

Onaiza A.

This is a program with our electricity. They have an appliance repair, we can pay a little every month on our bill and they will come out. They came out and cleaned our dryer vent out. They were very good. The scheduling was a little bit difficult. We were trying to get it done as soon as possible, because it could be a fire hazard. It was a difference of 2 or 3 days before they would come out. We had no issue once it was done.

Description of Work
Cleaned dryer vent.

Category appliance repair, dryer vent cleaning

08/21/2017

HENRY Y.

The process went well and we appreciated how the auditors replaced all of our bulbs (40+) with energy efficient LEDs. They were helpful in providing actionable items that we can do to improve energy efficiency.

Description of Work
Moved in to a new home and had an energy audit performed.

Category energy audit

06/15/2017

John R.

The cost was free. It took about a week and a half for someone to come out. Worker was professional.

Description of Work
They installed a saver switch.

03/29/2017

scott T.

We have always used them. They've been great. I don't know why I would change. I think we get them go come out here before the heating season and then again before the cooling season. They will be out in May again.

Description of Work
Came out to check the central air. It's just a tune up. They make sure everything is running properly.

03/29/2017

scott T.

It was free because we are on a contract. It is the utility company here and they are controlled by the government. They have always done great work. Just one service person came out, and he was great.

Description of Work
They did a furnace tune up.

02/02/2017

Kathy R.

They are quick to respond and on time if I have a problem. They call me when it's time to do maintenance and schedule a visit. It took about 20 minutes to a half hour to inspect. Left area clean. Tech was polite.

Description of Work
Scheduled maintenance.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, home warranty companies

10/05/2016

Bob L.

I would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
They took the shroud off air conditioner and they took the hose and washed it clean and they put the shroud back on to and made sure that it had freon on the air conditioner.

01/05/2016

Bill B.

The provider arrived on time, was very methodical and explained some of the problem areas. When he left he said we'd receive a written report in about 10 days. The service was performed on 12/1/2015. It is now 1/5/2016 and we have not received a report or bill for the service.

Description of Work
The provided performed the service, but we never received a report or a bill. Their accounting and follow through is unacceptable.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Unfortunately, this reviewer is not a customer of HomeSmart from Xcel Energy.

12/30/2015

Colin P.

My oven was working intermittently, so a Homesmart contractor replaced a part. That part and several other parts didn't work, so had to replace my oven because they couldn't get a working part.

Description of Work
Tried to replace a circuit board.

Category appliance repair

Customer contacted us for repair. Service Provider, Bilder Appliance, ordered first Circuit Board, unfortunately it was defective. Bilder Appliance then rush ordered a second circuit board, which in turn, was defective as well. Bilder’s owner, Dave, contacted his supplier, Whirlpool, who admitted they have a bad “batch” of circuit boards and Dave unfortunately got two of them. Dave ordered from the manufacturer and ensured they would be from a different batch. As soon as those parts come in, Bilder Appliance (Dave) will be in contact with the customer to go out and replace. We have credited the customer’s account 2 months ($29.90) of HomeSmart for the inconvenience. Thank you.

08/29/2015

Marlene W.

I needed insulation and they told me what needed to be done.

Description of Work
They came in and did energy testing.

Category energy audit

07/16/2015

Ruthie M.

I had excellent service for over 15 years with Minnegasco Home Service Plus, but they can't work on any Excel gas lines so they were not able to really take care of the new little Home I bought in the Highland Park/Mac Groveland area of Saint Paul, MN. ....so I switched to Excel HomeSmart service full coverage with replacement insurance for my little bungalow. VERY BAD IDEA! My central air conditioning unit failed on 7/2/15. Todayis 7/16/2015. I have spoken with two subcontractor (K.B. Services Company) employees and no fewer than 6 Excel energy direct employees trying to get some air conditioning repaired or replaced in my home before I expire from the heat. As I sit right now, no one has even called me back except a customer satisfaction rep (after I gave their follow up survey a less than stellar response) and the sales dude (Mike) when we were trying to coordinate a site visit for a full replacement estimate. I am so disappointed. After paying into a service for over a year, they turn out to be more of a hindrance than a help. What a waste of $50 bucks a month huh? Use Homesmart services by Excel Energy with extreme caution.

Description of Work
Nothing yet. Today is 7/16/15 and I have been without my central A/C for three weeks. This is during numerous 90+ degree days and I am not exactly young anymore. I need A/C for health reasons.... I would be VERY VERY WARY using this service from Excel Energy. I think they actually practice bait and switch.

01/02/2015

June L.

Everything passed with flying colors. They basically went over all the systems in the house and did the test where they exit the air out of a house to see how quickly new air comes back in and that's when they said we had a really tight house. They went over everything to make sure that we were not wasting energy anywhere and stuff like that.

Description of Work
We had Xcel Energy come in and do a home energy audit.

Category home warranty companies

12/11/2014

DONNA L.

They come and fix anything for free for their members. They're inexpensive. They send someone out right away. The worker they sent out was super nice, fast and polite. I was impressed with him.

Description of Work
They're my home warranty company and they had someone come out for free to install a new thermostat. I pay $14.95 a month for the service.

Category home warranty companies

11/10/2014

Jeff H.

From sales to installation, the HomeSmart team was a pleasure to work with. The sales approach was no-nonsense and the price was similar to below what other high rated installers were proposing. The system was a top of the line Bryant Evolution 2 Stage with Variable Fan, New Humidifier and a Smart thermostat with WiFi control. The installation crew was polite, timely and left no mess behind. They also installed an insulated vent for our dryer.

Description of Work
Installed New Furnace

06/04/2014

Dan A.

Went extremely well, Energy Audit with Xcel and Neighborhood Energy Connection done by Tom Stangl. Really good representative went through the house thoroughly and checked everything. Highly recommended!!!!

Description of Work
Energy Audit,

04/07/2014

Robert B.

I was transferred to this service after I completed my business with Xcel Energy admin office. It was mostly a sales pitch. I was not impressed with the service.

Description of Work
Offered some discounts and tried to sell me services.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your comments, [Member Name Removed]. HomeSmart is an appliance repair plan that partners with Xcel Energy. After your conversation with the Xcel representative, they may have transferred you to our customer service line to answer questions you may have had about furnace, a/c, or appliance repair. Since you do not have an active account for the HomeSmart appliance repair plan, our customer service team member most likely informed you on the services HomeSmart has to offer. Sorry the information sounded a little sales-pitchy. The HomeSmart plan may not fit your home’s needs at this time, but please feel free to call or email if you have any particular question about the plan or what HomeSmart covers.

03/03/2014

Joanne G.

I love them. I only pay $20 per month and only have one call and recovered my money for the whole year. We probably have at least one call per year.

Description of Work
HomeSmart from Xcel Energy Minnesota repaired a defective switch on our water heater.

Category appliance repair

Thank you for your review, [removed member name]. We are always happy to help.