Chuck Hecht

Founded 2011 • With Angi since October 2016

Experienced handyman who insists that his work satisfies each customer. When you call me, I am the professional who does the work. Schedule your own time slot with my online booking app. Texting is the most reliable way to reach me. If you email me, please follow up with a phone call. https://v2.waitwhile.com/checkin/7IheTrhuowMKN5QC1yhh/confirm If you schedule your appt within 48 hours, please call me to confirm availability....sometimes projects have mission creep and I need some extra time to wrap up existing projects....

A Service Provider's profile image

+3 more images

handyman (67)woodworking (11)flooring (6)interior painting (5)home remodeling (5)ceiling fan installation (3)pressure washing (2)lawn & landscaping (1)

08/26/2021

CHRISTOPHER S.

The original installation work was of very poor quality which led to the failure of bottom pin and separation of the veneer. Chuck had a look and clearly explained his plan for the repair and the estimated cost. He replaced hardware and the supporting block of wood between the veneer panels. The project was out of scope for our DIY skills/tools. We are very pleased to have this door reinstalled and functioning again. Bill was per the estimate. Highy recommend Chuck for your next handyman project, we will be calling him again.

Description of Work
Bi-fold closet door repair

Work Completed On 08/25/2021

02/10/2021

DeAnn F.

Chuck did a good job. I did not ask for prices up front, so that was my mistake, but Chuck charged by the item rather than by the hour. He was here for 2 hours and charged $340.00. I feel $170 an hour to be very high. Chuck also did not clean up after himself which was very frustrating. I found garbage everywhere. One item I had him do was to add salt to the water softener. The empty bag was left on the floor, right next to the garbage can.

Description of Work
I had several small projects, the largest of which was installing a ceiling fan

Work Completed On 01/26/2021

09/23/2020

John M.

Chuck did an excellent job for us. We discussed what work we needed done and he explained his strategy to repair or replace each job. His estimate was fair and his work was done very professionally from start to finish. Chuck kept me updated along the way and was great to work with. I highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Repair/replace wood siding, rotting wood around large window, rotting wood on deck, open vent into home

Work Completed On 09/21/2020

09/18/2020

Rhonda C.

Despite receiving a text reminder that he was on his way, he was a no show for the scheduled appointment for a quote. After waiting 30 minutes I called, and he did pick-up. He said he was "moving away from using the online scheduling system" (where I booked the quote appointment) and said the text reminder was "just a bot" as though it did not represent his company. Trying to remain courteous, I did not verbalize my thinking that perhaps the schedule should be removed from the web and the automated text reminder system would then be disabled - problem solved! I explained the job I was needing tackled, while he was banging around working on something, I was uncertain he was listening, and he put me on hold a couple times. Then he tried to talk me out of the composite decking material I wanted to use (despite recommendations from other pros), then suddenly he said he did not want the job because it was outside his expertise! Please do not claim to have carpentry skills if you cannot install baseboards in a garage! He may be "handy" and is work may even be fine but I do not recommend the Dakota Handyman if your time is valuable - he may not show up! Dr. C.

Description of Work
Baseboard installation in garage

Category

Work Completed On 09/18/2020

This customer caught me in the middle of a technology transfer as I was switching from Square to Waitwhile. I did miss her free estimate appt and apologized for it. But I do not apologize for withdrawing from the estimate after speaking with her and learning about her very unusual demands.

07/27/2020

Christine P.

He was efficient and knowledgeable. The total end payment was quite a bit higher than his initial quote.

Description of Work
Replace a ceiling fan and replace a ceiling light fixture.

Category ceiling fans

Work Completed On 07/16/2020

I appreciate your business and your review. I don’t know how or why you kept time, but I charge by the value of my work not the time. I roll into someone’s driveway with a $40k work van loaded with $60k worth of tools and supplies so that I can do a great job. Besides, if I remember correctly, I was there for 3+ hours, not that it matters. I replaced a ceiling fan, installed blinds, assembled a business chair, fixed your humidifier and changed its filter and loaded your water softener. Have a great day.

05/03/2020

Sheri P.

Chuck is your guy. He was immediately responsive to my initial request and upfront with me on all fronts. He is meticulous in his work and doesn't cut corners which I very much appreciated. I will most definitely be hiring him again for future work needed here at my home. Thanks Chuck :).

Description of Work
New subfloor under toilet in bathroom, old sink removal and install of new one, dishwasher install and toilet install

Category handyman service, home remodeling

Work Completed On 04/22/2020

04/14/2020

Linda S.

He was wonderful. I’ve been looking for a handyman. And I think I’ve found him. Thank you angies list for referring him

Description of Work
I needed 2toilets put in

Category flooring contractor, handyman service

Work Completed On 04/02/2020

04/11/2020

joanell B.

This is the fourth time I have hired Chuck, and have already arranged to have him do more work in the next couple weeks. Chuck is excellent. Is knowledge and professional. Is good at figuring out a way to fix problems. Highly recommend!!!

Description of Work
Fixed leaky toilet. Fixed shed doors

Work Completed On 04/11/2020

Either

03/29/2020

Kandy H.

Horrible Encounter! Chuck called saying he’d pop over and take a look at our desk. My husband showed him the desk. He said it looked like a 1st grader put it together. Wow! He secured some areas. He was ready to leave so My husband wrote him a check for $50 But then Chuck he said he thought the desk still needed to be leveled better and wanted to look at one more thing. My Husband told him no, let’s leave it alone, we’re ok with it now, but he insisted on turning desk onto its side. The desk was big and heavy with a hutch on top. He insisted on turning it to its side. Then it all crashed down. Instead of apologizing, he got upset, And said it was a piece of crap! Then Chuck just left abruptly! He didn’t apologize or offer to pick it back up and was a jerk! He was not nice once the entire 30 min he was at our home. Very condescending!! Never use Chuck!!! ***Update*** Buyer Beware!! Chuck isn’t being honest in his rebuttal to my review. He even texted me last evening to rebut my review. Just beware and read all his past reviews. He doesn’t have all A’s for a reason. I should’ve done that first before telling him he could stop over at the last minute when he called me. Make sure to compare several handymen before making a choice.

Description of Work
Repair a Desk

Work Completed On 03/29/2020

I can not even believe this review! In her own message to me, she stated that they didn’t put it together well and when they dragged it across the carpet, it began breaking. She even wrote down that I it was unsafe...and she was right. All the plastic anchors had pulled out and damaged the particle board. It was barely standing up. None of what she said happened is close to reality. She wasn’t even there. Additionally, I only requested a $25 fee. I suspect that her husband thought my effort was worth more and tipped me another $25. After her poor review I did void the check just as proper protocol. I am committed to helping all homeowners in Dakota County with small and large jobs.

02/21/2020

Patrick A.

Mr. Hecht knew I was in desperate situation and he did not hesitate in taking full advantage of my circumstances. One day I received a call informing me that my crawl space had flooded after a huge snow thaw. My sump pump needed to be replaced quick and most handy men were busy with other jobs. I live out of state and my home is occupied by tenants. Chuck Hecht knew he had me were he wanted. He over charged me to install a sump pump and he tried to lock me into preforming water mitigation. Although he didn’t have any equipment to perform the job. He wanted to start the job and figure it out as he progressed. Ultimately, I have to hire water mitigation professionals if I would have taken the bait! Please don’t be fooled by his so called “A” rating. Mr. Hecht is not trustworthy.

Description of Work
Replace Sump pump

Work Completed On 03/14/2019

Sir, The situation was much more complicated than you described. The day that you called and begged me to come over at 7pm to investigate your tenant’[Member Information Removed] claim that water was rising in the crawl space in your split level home, was the week of the “great spring melt-down flood”. Your basement was flooding and I recommended an immediate course of action that may have saved your basement from the flood. You wanted to think about it. By the time you called me back the next morning, the water had risen so much that now your entire finished basement was under a couple of inches of water. You then authorized me to do whatever I could to resolve the flood. For the fee of $515, I replaced the sump pump and all the frozen piping and I dug out the frozen exterior pipe outside and redirected it to the [Member Information Removed]. This was all during the time when everyone else was needing the same sump pump supplies and there were literally no sump pumps or sump pump hoses on any of the store shelves. I had to [Member Information Removed] two hours to find the appropriate supplies to save your house from further flooding. Considering that the fee included materials, $515 was a very fair price for what I did for you. Regarding my offer to provide additional services to fix the basement: I don’t offer those services and had only volunteered to cut up and drag out the wet carpet and cut off the bottom of the drywall so that the tenant and her small children wouldn’t have to suffer long with the developing mold and mildew.

12/11/2019

Amanda K.

Chuck was very professional and finished the job easily.

Description of Work
Chandelier removal

Work Completed On 12/06/2019

11/12/2019

Andy C.

It went great , chuck Did a great job

Description of Work
Wood ****** hole

Work Completed On 11/10/2019

10/21/2019

Dale G.

Both times he arrived on time and did excellent work. The door installation was more difficult. I had picked up the wrong type of door, so he went back to the store with me and helped me pick out the correct door. Then he had to widen the door opening a few inches to install the door.. He did a great job on the door installation. I think his prices are very much in line with what I was expecting. We are very pleased with his work and would recommend him as a handyman to others!

Description of Work
We had Chuck do two things for us. The first was patching some cement on our front stoop. The second was installing a fire-resistant door between our garage and dining room.

Work Completed On 09/05/2019

10/13/2019

Josh N.

It went well. When we ran into a issue of spacing, Chuck had a immediate solution with adequate execution. Everything was completed within a reasonable time frame, with integrity, and safety in mind.

Description of Work
Wall mounted folding gym equipment to garage wall

Work Completed On 10/13/2019

09/29/2019

Kevin R.

Chuck was neat, organized, and quality work. We would hire him again and would recommend him to anyone.

Description of Work
Hung garage system and various tasks around the house.

Work Completed On 10/07/2019

08/13/2019

Robert E.

Didn't show up. Didn't call with an explanation of why he didn't want the job after discussing it on the phone. Irresponsible. Would not hire again.

Description of Work
We had several projects that involved getting on the roof. We discussed everything with him on the phone, but he never called or showed up to give us a quote. He wasted our time.

Work Completed On 07/29/2019

He never hired me, nor scheduled a time on my online calendar. This guy is off base

07/26/2019

Diane S.

Handled all the glitches with ease and was done in no time.

Description of Work
microwave removed and new one installed

Work Completed On 07/25/2019

07/08/2019

Glenda & Joseph N.

Chuck was an expert and had additional supplies to complete the items on our checkist: 1. Install Cabinet. 2. Install permanent shower curtain bar. 3. Hang floating shelves 4. Hang, pictures including moving one so centered. Chuck even gave recommendations on the height which I GREATLY appreciated. My husband is NOT a Handyman so thankful and grateful I NOW know who to call. Thanks Chuck!

Description of Work
Numerous tasks needing completion in my husband's/guest room bath and the man cave.

Work Completed On 07/07/2019

06/17/2019

Thomas R.

Chuck was excellent - highly recommend. He was punctual, professional, had innovative solutions to help fortify and stabilize a 19 year old deck around our swimming pool. Great job and will definitely hire again.

Description of Work
Handyman - Fortifying Deck

Work Completed On 06/17/2019

05/02/2019

Erik S.

We had a bit of a misfire when it came to coming out to do the job, but he did a great job once we worked everything out. He even came back out as promised to touch up the paint. It was an absolute match to the siding on the house. Chuck did a great job and I’d gladly have him back out again.

Description of Work
Vinyl siding repair

Work Completed On 05/02/2019

04/01/2019

Peggy W.

Chuck was GREAT. Punctual, responsive, easy to work with, and affordable. He's the 3rd handyman I've used since buying my house 2 years ago and I wish I'd found him first. He will definitely be my first choice from now on. :-)

Description of Work
install lights, repair barn doors, rehang gate, etc

Work Completed On 03/28/2019

02/09/2019

Corey G.

Chuck did an awesome and very thorough job. The quality of his work was fantastic and he also provided great insight around the work that was done previously in the bathroom. Definitely will hire again.

Description of Work
Bathroom shower grout cleanup and re-caulk

Work Completed On 11/16/2018

01/25/2019

Angela O.

We were originally told by a professional plumber that our leak was not a plumbing issue and that it was leaking through tile or grout. We hired Chuck to take a look. He discoverd in less than 20 minutes that it was a plumbing issue with our overflow plate/pipe and fixed it in less than 10 minutes. We will definitely hire him again.

Description of Work
Water Leak