Abbott Paint & Carpet

Founded 1945 • With Angi since July 2001

1808 Grand Ave

Saint Paul, MN 55105

Abbott Paint & Carpet is committed to conducting business with integrity and pursuing excellence in all that we do. Our goal is to continually improve our products and our services, we strive to recognize and respect the partnership we have with our customers, suppliers, employees and community....

11/13/2017

Paul R.

I am sad to say it did not go well even though we are happy with the end results, finally. We have used Abbott regularly for paint supplies and for carpet. In those instances we have been very satisfied and would highly recommend their service and products. Unfortunately buying the roller shades was not a smooth experience. The measurements were written down incorrectly so one shade was one inch too wide for the window. That needed a re-order. The brackets for the shades we were shown in the store display were very different from what we got. Then we learned that those we were shown were a newer premium style and not available in the shade style we ordered. If so, why were we not told that when ordering? We then needed to order new brackets in a different color since the ones we got were bright white which looked awful against the dark old woodwork. We were expecting a tan color but only part of the bracket was tan while most was white. Instead we ordered black which doesn't look too bad since it is more hidden in the shadow of the window casement. But it was another annoying delay in finishing this little project. Finally, once we got everything in place, we like the product very much. It looks great in our old house and works well. If anyone is going to shop at Abbott for window treatments, I would recommend being very particular and double check every aspect of the order to make sure you know what you are getting is what you want. I am amazed that this simple project with nine windows would take weeks longer than expected with multiple corrections needed to finally get it done. So it pays to be extra diligent, I guess.

Description of Work
This most recent time at Abbott was to buy new Hunter Douglas roller shades for several windows in our 1916 home. We needed measurements taken and help choosing a style and color of shades that would fit with the original woodwork of the windows and the style of the Arts and Craft Bungalow house.

Category flooring contractor, window treatments

12/21/2015

Ted N.

The people at Abbott are wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable. A great place to go if you need advice about a project.

Description of Work
We have purchased paint for many different products from Abbott over the years. Most recently, we had them custom match some paint.

09/24/2015

Bernie B.

They were very professional. They went over and above what I expected.

Description of Work
Carpet repair and restretching.

07/20/2015

MARGARET D.

they were helpful and knowledgeable and gave primer advice that I needed to know but did not even know to ask

Description of Work
matched paint swatches and sold me quantities of paint needed for property

05/09/2015

Joan M.

on time-efficient-perfict cleanup-looks great-

Description of Work
flooring and window coverings

Category flooring contractor, window treatments

03/16/2015

Karin E.

I went to the Stillwater Abbott location one morning in January wanting information about carpet. I was told the decorator was not there and that no one else knew enough about carpet to be able to help me. The decorator would be there later that day. I called and told her I would like to meet with her. When I showed up she seemed distracted. She also seemed like she was very new at working for Abbott. She wasn't very confident about carpet choices. I chose a sample that I liked but there wasn't a bigger piece that I could have taken home so I took the whole board with several colors on it. That seemed odd that there wasn't a bigger sample for me to use. The color that I thought I liked turned out to be the same color as my couch and when I returned the board to Abbott the designer was not there. I called her and explained I needed some other suggestions because that color wasn't quite right. She said she would get back to me but never did. Meanwhile I decided to shop around and found another store with excellent customer service and decided to go with them. Approximately 2 months later I got a bid from Abbott by e mail for the original carpet I had picked out. I e mailed the designer back and said it was too late. I had already chosen another carpet from another store and was unimpressed with the service I had gotten from Abbott. I really wanted to work with Abbott. They are local and not a big box store and I had heard they had a good reputation. The customer service I got, or didn't get, made me think they really didn't want my business. I was very disappointed. Maybe you will have a different experience.

Description of Work
I wanted advice and a bid to install carpet in my 3 bedroom townhouse.

02/17/2015

kathryn M.

Did good job of estimate...chose another less expensive option.

Description of Work
Didn't use

02/02/2015

Rhonda K.

The folks at Abbott are great. They know their products and how to design a room! Very helpful service when looking for carpeting and paint, and all the tools. We did purchase a lot of paint (and colors looked great based on their suggestions!) but we were on a tight budget so had to choose another supplier for the carpeting.

Description of Work
Gave lots of help with colors and styles

01/13/2015

Wendy L.

It took two visits for them to do all the installation. The work was generally very good. There were two issues encountered. They had not ordered enough carpeting which was okay. They just left the closet undone and then came back and finished that. They were not able to remove the toilet to put flooring under it and they did not consult with me about it before putting the flooring just around the toilet. They had said they would put flooring under the toilet. They found they were not able to do it but they did not consult with me before just going ahead and not doing it. After I contacted them about the issue, they did give me a discount for not being able to put the flooring under the toilet. They resolved it with the discount but it was not handled properly initially and I think they would admit that. They left the area clean.

Description of Work
They installed carpet in the basement and new flooring in the bathroom.

01/06/2015

Sarah T.

Fine. Haven't gotten the bill yet but their estimate was a little higher than I expected. Still, they are a known quantity and were extremely responsive, neat, and timely.

Description of Work
restretched carpet in church entryway

11/10/2014

A H E.

Great experience from start to finish. Abbott was very generous in allowing me to take home a number of flooring samples so I could find just the right one. The estimator came as scheduled as did the installers. Installation went smoothly and everything was nicely cleaned up upon completion. I now have a beautiful hardwood floor to match the other hardwood floors in my 1922 bungalow. I would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Ripped up old carpeting and installed a new hardwood floor in a second floor bedroom.

10/07/2014

STEVE L.

Everything went well. The floor looks great.

Description of Work
New flooring in the basement.

04/15/2014

Douglas U.

Tim was professional, prompt, and friendly as he walked though our home. He took detailed measurements and gave us good advice on where to put what type of flooring as well as other options. Although we ultimately went with other providers, it was because of an abundance of good choices, and we still think working with Tim also would have been a good choice.

Description of Work
Tim gave us a professional evaluation and lots of great advice on flooring.

03/31/2014

Emma M.

Had initial problems because the sales person I started working with took a leave from work and I kept getting passed between individuals until I complained and got one of the owners themselves. Also, had a problem with the guy who came and measured for the estimate because he insisted my floor was not level enough and I needed to find someone to come in and put down a leveling agent first. My testing said it was not necessary so I insisted on having them come back and check it again. The person who came back said it was indeed not necessary. I also found out the individual who had come the first time was no longer with the company. Once I got passed all of that, everything was great. The installer was excellent and I'm very pleased with the work.

Description of Work
LVT flooring in entry, kitchen, dining area & bathroom.

03/18/2014

james P.

Everything was completed in a professional matter.

Description of Work
Steve Abbott is a true perfectionist. He has always matched colors and stains spot on.

Category flooring contractor, hardwood floor, interior painters

02/03/2014

Lawrence B.

Abbott did a great job of helping us select the carpet. They were very sensitive to our needs, style and costs. Their installation team did a fine job on what was a big project. They were efficient, professional and prompt.

Description of Work
Helped with the selection of, sold us and installed four rooms of carpet.

02/01/2014

Frances V.

The Abbott staff with whom we have worked have been very professional and take their jobs seriously. We worked with the same woman in 2009 and in November 2013, when we needed to have two blinds repaired. This is a good sign--the staff stay with the company--and they were always prompt and courteous.

Description of Work
Measured and installed blinds in our house and sent back two from 2007 for repairs.

Category window treatments

01/27/2014

Nick D.

It went great. It was done in a day. They also sell paint. I get a lot of paint from them. They are knowledgeable and friendly.

Description of Work
They installed the carpet in my home.

10/15/2013

Jeffrey F.

I asked them for a particular kind of paint and they asked me about my project. Based upon my answer they recommended a different type of paint that is a very high quality paint too.

Description of Work
Bought high quality paint and paintbrush.

Category home improvement stores

09/07/2013

KURT S.

This was a mixed bag. I had intended to put ceramic on the kitchen floor, but was checking out other possibilities as well. When I read that ceramic was difficult and had a few estimates that agreed that I would basically have to rebuild the sub-floor to support the ceramic I changed plans. I visited Abbot on Grand in St. Paul because I have purchased paint there and continue to do so. I have had great experiences with that side of the business. When I went to the other side and began getting information about other flooring possibilities I encountered a woman, whose name I have forgotten. I was in the middle of asking questions and gathering data - in fact, I think I was right in the middle of a sentence when she got a page that a call was waiting. She didn't let me finish my question. she bustled off to answer the phone leaving me to wait and mosey about the show room on my own. When 20 minutes had elapsed I was headed for the door, and Tim Abbot came in. He was very professional and took me through all the products, introducing me to Marmoleum, which I had never heard of. It was great. So I scheduled a time to have someone come out and give me an estimate. When the time arrived, the estimator didn't. I called Tim and he apologized and called the estimator. Then returned my call to tell me the estimator had my time written down 2 hours later. Fine. I could have written the time down wrong; no big deal. The estimator arrive punctually at the corrected time. He was very professional and personable. He gave me an estimate that I considered reasonable and I decided to have them do the work. Two men arrived punctually at the agreed time to do the work. They brought in a roll of Marmoleum. And said they were ready to put it down. I said "Whoa. You need to first take up the old vinyl." The main guy said "Huh? That's not on my work order." the helper guy said "Can I use your bathroom?" Having been granted permission he disappeared into the facility for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, lead guy was calling Tim and trying to figure this out. Clearly the estimate was based on the removal of the old vinyl. I was vindicated, but now they didn't have time in their schedule to complete the job. So they left me to reschedule with Tim. Upon their departure my paranoid voice whispered that they had done that on purpose to see if they could slip one past me. I told my paranoid voice to shut up. The time was re-scheduled; needing two days now.The crew arrived punctually at the re-re-scheduled time and did a wonderful job on the removal. The next day I got a call from Tim telling me the main guy was sick and we would have to re-re-re-schedule. I told him the time frame (a couple of weeks out) was not acceptable. So he made some arrangements, shuffled some people and brought a new guy in a few days later to finish the job. He did a swell job. Only later did I note a minor scuff, which was irritating but not devastating. And so the saga was completed. I hesitated to write this because I like the company and continue to buy my paint from them. Every member of the Abbot family that I have encountered has been fantastic. Perhaps my experience was a fluke. But, unfortunately it was my experience.

Description of Work
Removed old vinyl floor in the kitchen and laid Marmoleum floor.

Category carpet installation

08/26/2013

Amy H.

We used to buy our paint from Hirschfields, but after going to Abbott paint in White Bear Lake we will never go anywhere else. The level of service is incredible. We have had so much help from them matching colors and consulting on what types of paints and stains to use. We have used them for our entire exterior paint job, interior stain matching, interior paint, paint for dressers and cupboard/bookcase refinishing. We have been happy every time. There is a little of a premium in price, but we have had no trouble paying for it, and when our contractor is going to do the work, they have always given us a contractor's discount or discount for large orders.

Description of Work
Matched stain color, helped match paint colors, bought paint/stain/varnish/painting supplies, in the past has helped consult on colors for exterior of house, etc. I also got a lot of advice from them on how to refinish some wood chairs, a dresser and cupboards/cabinets.

Category house painters, interior painters, cabinet refacing

08/10/2013

Karen M.

Our stager said we needed to replace our carpet because our dog had chewed the edge of it. Our carpet cleaner suggested we contact Abbott as she had used them in the past and found them to be very professional. We had hoped they would be able to take a piece of carpet from the closet and sew it onto the damaged area. After evaluating the situation, they said they could easily stretch the carpet and remove the damaged portion. The result looked perfect and only cost $75, much less than new carpet. We were very pleased!

Description of Work
Stretched carpet to hide frayed carpet that dog had chewed.

10/15/2012

Kathie E.

Excellent service. Came out to see the project, received the bid and the work was scheduled and completed. A relatively small project for them, when they had not done the original installation, but service and work was excellent.

Description of Work
Stretched the carpet in one area to cover damaged edge. Patched the carpet in a door way and installed the proper transition to tile. Both areas had been damage by our puppy's chewing!

05/10/2012

CATHERINE M.

They have a very good show room to choose from, and they are in a good location. I took advantage of a nice sale they had on carpeting. They also helped a lot on making a choice in the show room. The guy that did the work did an excellent job. He kept the place cleaned up. They recommended to clean out pet odors before they put the carpet in which turned out well. One of the guys even picked up my recycling bin for me.

Description of Work
They did my carpeting. I had all of my carpet replaced.

04/20/2012

Allison T.

Good work done quickly by their professional installers (cant recall if they were a subcontractor). Whole condo took about 1 1/2 days.

Description of Work
Carpet purchase and installation