Dakota Unlimited Inc

Founded 1986 • With Angi since October 2004

We’re a family-owned Minnesota fence contractor company with hundreds of years of combined experience and are committed to providing the level of detail our competition can’t match. The owners, Tom and Chuck Engelmeier are brothers who work closely with their team so you can be assured every job

fence company (289)driveway gate installation (23)woodworking (9)decks & porches (5)hardscaping (1)garage doors (1)

02/25/2022

Susanna F.

Horrible design lead to neighbor complaints and later buyer complaints. Dakota would not fix their fence. I called numerous times. Finally hired a third party to remove the eye sore and then two days after that Dakota called me back. At that point, I asked for my money back and the response from Steve Levine was "Thank you for your business. We appreciate your feedback." He showed no concern. Basically, a very greedy company who does not care about their customers. Too bad for them. I would not recommend this company as they don't stand behind their product and once they have their money they ignore you. Horrible experience.

Description of Work
Back yard chain link fence

Work Completed On 02/24/2022

07/14/2021

Julie D.

Dakota Unlimited did a fantastic job with my fence project from beginning to end. Danny came to my house several times to provide a quote, answer my questions, answer questions from my neighbors, make changes I requested to the project, etc. He was very courteous and helpful (and patient!). Also, the two teams that came out to put in the posts and then the fencing were fast, relatively quiet considering the work that had to get done, and the foremen (Josh and Jake) that I spoke with were very professional. Several of my neighbors commented on their work as well -- how fast and good they were. I am very pleased with the outcome and, while it was a lot of money to spend, it was worth it!

Description of Work
Wood fence surrounding my 0.25 acre back yard

Work Completed On 07/14/2021

Thank you so much for your kind review! I will be sure to pass your comments along to Danny, Josh and Jake I know you will make their day!

05/21/2021

Beth F.

This is an old review as the fence was installed a few years ago and I was looking them up again since I want to extend the fence and wanted to use them again if they still had good reviews. The fence is excellent and the team that installed it was very professional and prompt in getting the work done.

Description of Work
CA style chain link fence around garden and backyard

Work Completed On 10/21/2014

Thank you so much for the 5 Star review!

10/14/2020

Roger L.

Its a small job so hard for anyone to do it cost effectively!

Description of Work
Still needs to be done

Work Completed On 10/14/2020

Thank you for your review!

09/04/2020

Karen A.

we received a bid that was reasonable but the job has been postponed

Description of Work
post and rail fencing

Category driveway gates

Work Completed On 09/03/2020

We are a bit confused by this review....when we looked into your name we were not able to match anyone with the fencing type requested. If you could give us a bit more information we could look into this further. We appreciate all of the A's in your review but are very confused why there would be a " F" as your overall experience. We strive very hard to provide quality service and without knowing anything more, I will have to say that we don't think we have worked with you.

07/14/2020

Jason S.

My next door neighbors hired Dakota Unlimited to replace their chain link fence (including along the property line between our properties). This was something that had been on my own todo list for a couple of years now so I took the prompt and contacted Dakota Unlimted to expand the project to include the parts go the fence they were going to originally leave and the fence along the other side of my property (along an alley). They immediately got someone out to me to give a quote and not only did they go great work, but slotted me into the same spot as my neighbors so all the work was done at once. They definitely cost a bit more than I was originally planning, but you can tell where the additional money went when you look at the fence quality.

Description of Work
New Privacy Fence

Category fencing, woodworking

Work Completed On 06/10/2020

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate the opportunity to work with you!

06/02/2020

Emma L.

Fantastic job by Dakota Unlimited from start to finish. My old cedar fence was rotting and falling in. Since it was too late to install a new fence last winter, my salesman, Danny, even came out in the snow to install a temporary portion so my dogs would be safe! Josh and the tear out crew did a wonderful job, taking great care of my existing perennial beds and leaving my yard in pristine condition. The fence installation went just as smoothly. All of the crew worked incredibly hard, were respectful and extremely accommodating to some last minute changes. Dakota took care of and coordinated everything from pulling permits, scheduling the survey and getting utilities marked. They have been a joy to work with and I have every confidence that they will stand behind their work. I highly recommend Dakota Unlimited.

Description of Work
Replaced cedar fence

Work Completed On 06/02/2020

Thank you so much for your wonderful review!! We are so proud of our team!! We really appreciate working with wonderful people like you! Have a great summer!

05/25/2020

Don H.

Still waiting for my insurance company to ok

Description of Work
Fencing repair

Category woodworking

Work Completed On 05/25/2020

Thank you for your review!!

11/09/2019

Corey C.

Although Dakota Unlimited was more expensive than most fence companies, I was assured that their quality and service would make it worth it. After the job was complete, I asked that they come back out to fix one of the walls as it wasn't straight. They came out and "fixed" it but it still wasn't straight. I told them that "we are not entirely happy with the fence line but I think we can live with it." They decreased the final bill but didn't attempt to fix the line again. When reading a review, I think you ultimately want to know one thing: knowing what you know now, would you have picked Dakota Unlimited to install your fence? The answer to that question is no. The quality of the final product below average and we will not be choosing Dakota Unlimited for future work.

Description of Work
Fence removal and installation

Work Completed On 09/19/2019

Review for Dakota Unlimited Inc - 15953 Biscayne Ave W, Rosemount, MN - 38224112

When reading a review, I think it is best to hear both sides of the story and we appreciate the opportunity to share our side. We always strive to provide our customers with the best experience and regret that you don’t feel that is what you have received. Many times, when installing a fence, we run in to obstacles that make it difficult to provide a perfect straight line. In your case there was a drain in the fence line that we had to avoid. When we realized you were unhappy with the finished product, we sent out our most experienced carpenter and he worked his tail off trying to make you a satisfied customer. This still wasn’t up to your standards, so, in a continued effort to provide you with a pleasant experience our production manager sent you the following email in an attempt to make things right: “I understand you are still not entirely happy with the fence line. I also understand you gave Ryan 3 options to rectify the situation. Our goal was and still is to make sure you will be happy with the product. Obviously, we are falling short of meeting your expectations. So, I am writing this email in order to clarify your wishes. Please let me know what will make you the most satisfied and we will provide that to you. If moving the line is what you desire, then that is what we will do. Please let me know at your earliest convenience, and accept our apologies for your experience with Dakota Unlimited so far. Rest assured it will be corrected one way or another” You chose the option provided of a significant reduction in your bill. It was implied that this resolution would leave you satisfied, so we are saddened you’ve taken to Angie’s List to communicate otherwise.

08/19/2019

Kevin A.

Overall good experience, the fence and gate look amazing and really tie the backyard all together. However, the one side of the fence now places the underground sprinkler heads, which were clearly marked with flags, (3 of them) on my neighbor's yard that water the fence on his side of the property. I have reached out them but not heard back unfortunately. I hope they can provide a resolution to their mistake. - Follow up to earlier review: They stopped by on the Monday after my weekend email, was basically told there would be no resolution to my unhappiness with the underground sprinkler mistake. That being said the fence still looks great, but service for an honest mistake is not a priority for this company. Do not use them if service is important to you after the job is finished.

Description of Work
Backyard private fence

Work Completed On 08/19/2019

Review for Dakota Unlimited Inc - 15953 Biscayne Ave W, Rosemount, MN - 38055635

We are so glad you love your fence. When our production manager came out immediately to assess the situation, it was made clear that we put your new privacy fence in the same location as your old chain link fence, with the exception of a tree we needed to avoid. This is not a mistake made by Dakota because we didn't install the sprinkler heads on the other side of your current fence line. While it is unfortunate that those sprinklers cannot water the lawn on your side of the fence; this is something you need to discuss with your sprinkler installer. We work extremely hard to provide the best customer service to all of our clients and feel we have in this case.

08/01/2019

DANA J.

The process went smoothly from the estimate to installation. Extremely professional. Cleaned up very well. Fabulous looking fence. Would not hesitate to use them again.

Description of Work
Replace fence on back property line

Work Completed On 07/30/2019

Thank you so much for your kind review! We really appreciate the opportunity to work with you!

07/26/2019

Michelle R.

Great company to work with. They contacted me within 24 hours after my initial call to set up a time to come and give and estimate. They did a beautiful job installing the 91 feet of privacy fencing where the old fence had deteriorated and seemed very knowledgable. They finished ahead of schedule, too. Customer service was excellent. Communication was excellent. Pricing was on the high side.

Description of Work
replacement of wood privacy fence

Work Completed On 06/01/2019

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate working with you and appreciate you sharing your experience with Dakota Unlimited! Have a great summer!

05/01/2019

Robert S.

My experience with Dakota Unlimited exceeded expectations from beginning to end. Our salesperson Andrew was knowledgeable, thorough, and professional. He recommended products that fit exactly what we were looking for - while all along educating us on how our choices would impact the final price. While other companies wrote quick quotes, Andrew took the extra steps to ensure we were getting what we needed and wanted at a fair price. He was why we chose Dakota. Once the scheduling and install began, the other team members were likewise sensational. The team showed up on time, were over communicative and ensured we were happy with the install process from beginning to end. They also were great at helping avoid issues with my neighbor's sprinkler system which was overt the property line. They could've plowed through but understood the importance of being a good neighbor and worked to ensure a good result. The fence looks great and we've been telling everyone that Dakota is the only place to go for your fence. We'd use them again in a heartbeat!

Description of Work
Aluminum Fence Install

Work Completed On 04/30/2019

Review for Dakota Unlimited Inc - 15953 Biscayne Ave W, Rosemount, MN - 37851914

Wow! Thank you for such a wonderful review! We really appreciate your kind words!

04/25/2019

Zachary S.

I was unbelievably impressed with the crews professionalism. The final product looks fantastic. They were punctual and very tidy. I was very impressive to watch them make sure all the details were done just right.

Description of Work
Brand new fence installed.

Category fencing

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate working with you!

03/21/2019

Cody P.

Dakota does it right. The fence was exceptionally well installed, is extremely sturdy and straight, and when there was an initial problem with some boards they went above and beyond sending multiple people out to have it resolved. In fact, even a year later, when I had a driveway problem causing the gate to not open (NOT an issue with the gate), they sent someone out to saw the bottom boards and re-hang the gate at no cost. If you want your fence done right, go with Dakota.

Description of Work
Privacy fence and driveway gate installed

Work Completed On 03/21/2019

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate you sharing your experience after the fence has been in place. We truly want to make sure our customers are happy with their fence and will do what we can to reach that goal!

11/27/2018

Danielle D.

Nobody got back to me from the AL work I did, but I had called the office and they eventually got back to me. The rep I worked with for the estimate was very professional. A few options were given as far as length and materials. The least expensive option was for 27' for $2300 (plus additional fees to locate the property lines and remove soil displaced by the post holes). I found this price to be outrageous and didn't move forward. My friend said she also had them estimate a replacement fence for a larger part of their yard (Dakota says there's a different price model if you have more feet to cover) but she got a similarly outrageous proposal for $10k.

Description of Work
Estimate to finish off one side of yard with fence. 27'

Work Completed On 11/06/2018

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to present you with a quote for your project. We are regretful that you found our prices to be more than you anticipated. We do our best to provide a quality product with quality employees and product.

09/01/2018

Bill S.

One team removed the old fence, and another put in the new one. Both did an excellent job and both were very easy to work with and very responsive.

Description of Work
Remove old cedar fence and replace with new one.

Work Completed On 08/07/2018

Thank you for your review!

08/01/2018

joanne C.

They did a beautiful job, fast, efficient, clean up after themselves, I was very happy with the service. I will recommend them to others.

Description of Work
They build me a fence.

Work Completed On 09/01/2017

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate working with you!

07/22/2018

CURT H.

They gave us detailed information on what they were doing and when. Very happy with the results.

Description of Work
Backyard fence - black chain link

Category fencing, driveway gates

Work Completed On 07/18/2018

Thank you for the opportunity to work with you on your project!

05/22/2018

Annie D.

I spent weeks researching various fence companies in the Twin Cities. After working with 3 sales reps from different companies, I still wasn't sold on any of them. I happened to hear about Dakota through word of mouth and checked their Angie's Lists ratings. They by far had the best reviews of all the companies I dealt with. After I made contact for a free estimate, Rick called and scheduled a time to meet with me. Rick was knowledge about the products and was able to tell me a bit more about their competition and what Dakota could do for us. We were happy with the sales and follow up as we waited through the long winter that dragged through the spring. Jennifer at the Dakota office was on top of all scheduling and updates. She was great to work with. They also dealt with the city of Lake Elmo and their crazy rules and regulations they decided to implement this year when installing a fence. The week before install, a foreman was there as the city marked all of the lot lines and checked to make sure exactly what we wanted for the fence. Jennifer and also the main foreman on the crew contacted us the week and day of to let us know when to expect them. All members of the crew were courteous and hard workers. We are VERY happy w the look of the fence and super happy we chose Dakota Unlimited.

Description of Work
Aluminum Fence

Work Completed On 05/21/2018

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We really appreciate working with you!

03/18/2018

PAUL Z.

This went well. Reached out via Angie's List and Rick the sales rep was back to me quickly. He came out and we discussed the project. He measured and also recommended pruning some trees that would interfere with the fence installation. Also agreed to remove a small decorative fence and arbor that were deteriorating. Quote was sent and we had just a little confusion with the diagram and amount of fence, but Rick came back on site and we easily resolved that. I accepted the bid late summer and the installation was scheduled early November (they were very busy). I gave them 1/3 deposit to get the job scheduled. They called me about a week before installation date to confirm. They arrived right on time and the installation went very well. They checked with me multiple times during the installation to make sure I was happy with how the installation was progressing. The crew was very friendly and they obviously enjoyed working with each other. That afternoon we got about an inch of snow and I smiled when I heard them playing Christmas music on their radio. Instead of complaining about the snow they were enjoying it! I thought that was impressive. They finished the project in a day and the result is something my wife and I are very happy with. This was a very good experience.

Description of Work
Maintenance Free Vinyl Privacy Fence installed

Work Completed On 11/03/2017

Review for Dakota Unlimited Inc - 15953 Biscayne Ave W, Rosemount, MN - 36910376

Thank you for your review! We really appreciate you sharing your experience!

02/11/2018

Rick H.

the entire job was completed on time. I did request one return visit to address two small issues. The issues were addressed to my satisfaction immediately. Overall the job was done to my satisfaction. My wife is happy and that is a huge plus. It has been almost two years since the installation and the fence still looks great. My only complaint was a comment from my neighbor regarding a negative remark made by the person who came back to address the issues. Apparently, I was being petty with one of my issues because he only had to make an adjustment of 1/4". However, both my neighbor and I had noticed the issue so I don't really think it was petty. Even if it had been petty, the repairman would have been wiser to keep his opinion to himself. I do not want this one small issue to retract from the wonderful job that was done in providing me with just what I wanted.

Description of Work
installation of cedar fence around entire back yard.

Work Completed On 08/15/2015

Thank you for your review!!