Porcelite Bathtub Refinishing

Founded 1976 • With Angi since June 2001

14332 21st Ave N Ste 150

Minneapolis, MN 55447

Whatever your needs may be in porcelain repair & refinishing. Porcelite utilizes a scientific process for bathtub refinishing that has been successfully researched and tested by various engineering testing firms. The process utilizes a specially-formulated, catalyzed, chemical coating to turn an ugly tub into one that dries to a gleaming, smooth, hard finish with that "new tub" look of any desired color. This refinishing or reglazing process works on porcelain, acrylic and fiberglass tubs and showers. Service since 1976- the oldest refinishing company in town. Porcelite Bathtub Refinishing Company has been in business in the Twin City Metro area for over 34 Years. A wide variety of home owners, apartments and contractors have been pleased with the Ease, Low-Cost and beauty of their "new" bath tubs. Compared to the cost of a new fixture + removal of old, new installation, the Porcelite tub refinishing process is a great alternative of Refinishing rather than replacing. Experience shows in quality!...

01/03/2022

Samuel Y.

Hired Porcelite to refinish a bathtub. Straightforward job, nothing unusual about our tub. On the plus side, Porcelite is very systematic and punctual, and they communicate clearly, but the poor rating is due to the product itself. Perhaps this product just does not work for older (1935 in our case) bathtubs? If so, that should be discussed up front. Or maybe this treatment only works if you don't use your bathtub for normal bathing/showering? I followed all the instructions yet four months after the treatment the new surface is already chipping away quite noticeably.

Description of Work
bathtub refinishing

10/11/2019

Tatiana I.

Very bad, Mitchell the guy who did the job, don’t know how to do it, there were paint dripping on the bathtub, scratches, orange looks like in some areas, debris below the paint, he came back to ‘fix’ the initial problem (dripping paint) but instead created the other problems, didn’t paint the bottom of the bathtub when I spoke to his manager he said that he will be back when we change the floor to finish the bottom (but Mitchell even paint the floor we have right now), also he use my new bathroom sink to wash his tools so it left paint in it, I requested a supervisor to came over and check but Mark (supervisor) said there are no one, and that Mitchell is their best employee, and he will send him back to fix everything ‘again’, at the end they decided to no come back and instead refund my money, until now I have no received a penny.

Description of Work
Refinished a bathtub

Category bathtub refinishing

The check for the full refund amount of $595.00 was mailed out on 10/9/19. It has not cleared our bank as of today (10/13/19). If you do not see the check by the 18th, please let us know.

09/06/2019

Angie B.

A great job! We are very happy with the results.

Description of Work
tub refinishing

06/01/2019

Kathleen R.

Don't waste your money! I had my tub refinished in late January and by May I now have several chips with more showing up daily. I had Porcelite had come back for the warranty and they said that they could fix the chips but because there are more chips coming I could not see the point. The technician then said they could redo the tub but because of its age and condition they could not guarantee it would not keep happening. I am not sure why they did not tell me that before they initially resurfaced the tub. Very disappointed. For a couple of months, it looked great and the people were great to work with.

Description of Work
Resurface Bathtub

Category bathtub refinishing

Thank you for posting about your experience with tub refinishing. Our notes about the tub are a bit different: we show that the complaint in May was for peeling. That'[Member Information Removed] something that should not be happening, so we returned to repair it. Peeling and chipping are different. Peeling means we didn't do our job as well as we should have. Chipping unfortunately comes from things (such as shaving cream cans, kids toys, etc) being dropped in the tub, and as our warranty and care instructions say : chips aren't covered under warranty. If you indeed have further peeling, please call Mark in the office and we will have the tech return to repair the area([Member Information Removed]). We generally see 15-ish year lifespan on our refinishes, so something is going on with this tub that we want to address. 612-529-7000 is our number.

05/22/2019

LYNDA K.

Based on Angie’s List reviews, I called Porcelite. Mark answered all my questions, gave me prices and scheduled the appointment. Victor arrived on time for the appointment and explained the process to me. There was a ridge in the tub that I had assumed was from previous refinishing (before I lived here). Victor said it had not been refinished, those marks were from drain cleaners. He told me that he could not completely smooth that out, but could make it look better. I appreciated this because he saved me the $150 it would have cost to strip the old finish, had he tub been refinished previously and he could have just told me it had been refinished and charged me for that service. The whole process took about 3 hours. Yes, it stunk to high heaven, but the smell was gone in about a day. After a 24-hour cure, I actually gave it 48, I was back in business. The tub looks beautiful, really like a brand new tub. After a couple of days, I noticed a spot that had been missed, texted Mark a photo, and Victor came back out and primed and glazed that spot. In his defense, my bathroom is darkish and at first I thought it was a shadow, so I can see how he missed it the first time. My only complaint about the whole process is that I opted for texturizing the tub surface ($39) to avoid having to use a tub mat for showering. Even with the texturizing, it is wayyy too slippery and I ended up ordering a mat from Amazon that is made specifically for refinished tubs.

Description of Work
My 1951 bathtub was in rough shape, including a couple of spots with the finish completely gone. It was definitely past due to be refinished.

Category bathtub refinishing

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with Mark and Victor. I'm glad some money and time could be saved once Victor assessed the tub in person. We appreciate your positive feedback! Have a great summer!

02/01/2019

Jennie L.

Bathtub looks brand new again after having to be completely stripped. We got a very reasonable price compared to other quotes we received. The service provider was kind and professional, and he was incredibly patient with the status of our house being in the middle of moving. Our stuff was literally everywhere! Poor guy.

Description of Work
Bathtub refinish

Category bathtub refinishing

We are glad that you had a positive experience with both Porcelite, and with Victor, the tech. Thank you for taking the time to post a review in the midst of your move!

12/04/2018

Paula D.

Wonderful. Great service, friendly, efficient. Great outcome. Cleaned up after himself and left my home very neat.

Description of Work
Reglaze tub

Category bathtub refinishing

So great to hear that the tub came out well, and that Mitchell cleaned up and left things clean and neat. That is very important to us, so I will make sure to pass along the positive review. Happy Holidays!

08/26/2018

SUSAN O.

arrived on schedule. Went about his job very professionally and efficiently. The finished product was outstanding.

Description of Work
clean and refinish bath tub

Category bathtub refinishing

I'm glad Victor did a nice job on your tub, and that it turned out well. Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

08/14/2018

ANN R.

Looked great. Didn't use the tub for a long time since we were doing a major remodeling in this rental property. Nine months after the work was done i noticed bumps in the surface around the drain area. I called the contractor and he sent a tech out. The tech (who had done the work) said that a dripping faucet had done the damage, and, that it was not covered by the warranty. Couldn't believe that a bathtub surface could be damaged by water dripping. Anyway, he was right, It was very clear in the warranty. We had the faucet repaired and the tub partially resurfaced ($150). It looks great again but I'm concerned how durable this product is. A new tenant moves in next month so we'll find out.

Description of Work
Bathtub refinishing

Category bathtub refinishing

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's understandable to question how dripping water can damage a tub's surface. It's amazing how corrosive water actually can be, given that it seems so innocuous. Please do let us know how things hold up now that the leak has been repaired. We have every hope that our average 10 year lifespan should be what you can expect.

08/03/2018

PATTI C.

I made the appointment over the phone and was quoted the cost less the Angie’s List discount. Mitchell refinished the tub as needed. Because water unexpectedly came out of the shower head after he had painted the tub, he came the next day to sand down the bubbles and touch up the paint. He gave us tips on replacing the drain and the necessary maintenance in order to keep the warranty in effect. Tub looks great!

Description of Work
Refinished nearly 50 year old tub.

Category bathtub refinishing

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us. I'm so glad Mitchell went over the care instructions, and was able to rectify the water leak issue as well. Thanks again!

07/30/2018

Michael A.

Fantastic job! Got the job done within the estimated time, and did a great job of cleaning up. Tub looks like new! I have already recommended Porcelite to two other people.

Description of Work
Bathtub reglazing/refinishing

Category bathtub refinishing

Wow, thanks for the review online, and for the recommendations! We are so glad your experience with us was a positive one.

07/24/2018

Brian G.

It looks very good. I’m happy with the results.

Description of Work
Refinishing Bathtub

Category bathtub refinishing

I'm glad Mitchell did a nice job on your tub. Thank you for taking the time to post a review!

07/02/2018

keith S.

Terrible customer service. They were supposed to send a technician out to check the bath tub before the date set to refinish. I was told they would call me before he would come out or if he "had time" to or was in the area. I later received a call saying he was already at my house in which I was about 15 minutes away. The tech would not wait for me. I figured the appointment was good for the date we set up to get the job completed. I called in the morning and they said we were not on the schedule due to the technician not reviewing the project. The salesman Mark started rudely to say this was my fault in an unprofessional manner. I WOULD NOT USE THESE PEOPLE.

Description of Work
Refinishing Bathtub

Category bathtub refinishing

The only comment Porcelite is going to make about this situation is to say that it is our company policy to respectfully decline to work with anyone who uses profanity or is verbally aggressive/abusive with any of our staff.

06/29/2018

Mary G.

great, looks like a new tub! they were quick and professional and i would definitely use them again, we're really happy with the outcome!

Description of Work
tub refinishing

06/23/2018

Krysteen H.

We had a bathtub that had been refurbished 20 years ago in terrible shape. Victor came and was careful to make sure our surrounding areas were cared for, was extremely knowledgeable and great to work with. We should have hired these guys years ago.

Description of Work
Bathtub refinish

Category bathtub refinishing

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I'm glad Victor not only did a good job on the refinish, but protected the areas around the tub. We appreciate the feedback, and will pass it along to Victor. Have a great summer!

06/13/2018

Michael W.

We started with Porcelite Bathtub Refinishing because they have over 400 "A" reviews on Angie's list. Mark called me back very promptly but unfortunately they do not service our city. Mark was still very helpful and took the time to answer my questions on the process and gave me a couple of referrals which I really appreciate.

Description of Work
We are looking for a company to help us refinish a bathtub.

Category bathtub refinishing

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience with Mark. I trust you found a refinisher who serves Lino Lakes, and that they did a great job for you!

06/07/2018

Debra Z.

Awful, When worker came in, he had no contract to show me with detailed amounts agreed upon over the phone. I asked him to retrieve it so I could review it to make sure not only the amounts were in but the guarantees were in writing as well. He shared he never filled out the cost information till after the job was done. I insisted the amounts be put in before the job was to start. He wanted to look at the tub first. While viewing the tub, I shared I wanted to make sure the old caulking was removed and new put on. He didn't want to do that (even though over the phone the person I talked with assured me the caulking would of course be handled). He claimed it might take him too long to remove it and reapply it. It was wider than usual for him to want to redo. As well, he also claimed the sink cabinet was too close to the tub and he wouldn't be able to spray the refinishing color on the front of the tub as it would be too close to the sink cabinet and therefore would not do the front front of the tub either! I actually thought he thought that would be perfectly fine with me to skip the caulking and the front of the tub. I told him that because he refused to do the job as it was, but only a portion of it, it would not all look fully new and so it would be silly to even begin. I shared he should probably not start it then. He left. Waste of my time. These things should have been reviewed with me over the phone, questions asked, etc., As well, no one called the day before (as most companies do) to confirm when they would be arriving. All felt shady to me I guess. Under new management?

Description of Work
Needed to have my tub refinished

Category bathtub refinishing

We didn't refinish this tub. We are not under what I would consider new management. The current owners group purchased Porcelite in August of 2011. The technician did have a copy of the invoice with him (with the agreed on verbal pricing given over the phone, and warranty/care on the back) that he showed the homeowner. Our estimator did say on the phone that we remove existing caulk & recaulk after the refinishing. We have learned over the course of the past 42 years, that when a gap is over 1/2" wide, like it was here, we disclose our concerns about the ability to get a good caulking result. That way everyone is on the same page. This is also true when a cabinet (or toilet) is up very close to a tub. We sometimes can't get the spray gun in the small space. We always disclose this, and say that we can do our best to spray the area, but that it will end up rough. Most of the time people are okay with this result. I am one of the owners, and I sit right next to our estimator in the office. It's true that gap width between a tub and surround and a toilet/cabinet and tub is not something we discuss as part of our phone calls. I'm not sure that one instance in 7 years is enough for us to alter our procedure, but we will have a discussion about it. Thank you for your feedback.

05/26/2018

Padraic M.

Wonderfully. It is now almost a year later. The tub still looks great. These guys are careful, fastidious and thorough.

Description of Work
Large tub refinish

05/26/2018

Padraic M.

I so often am disappointed when hiring home services. I'm a fussy, very knowledgable engineeer. This time, I was wrong! In thrilled to say theys guys exceeded my expectations. Completely satisfied! The project was an irreplaceable, large square American Standard tub. The porcelain was shot. Chips at the drain were rusting. Careful removal of the drain and etching away the rust meant this will be a durable job. Very nice job sanding and cleaning the porcelain prior to priming Extreme care and gymnastics shown to paint a tub 4ft accross and get the masking off without leaving a mark. It has been a month now and we are still quite happy

Description of Work
Refinishing of 1938 Am Std tub

Category bathtub refinishing

Thank you for such a glowing review. Tim, the technician, has been doing tub refinishing for a long time, and his skills reflect that. I'm glad you had such a positive experience with us; thank you for letting us know and taking the time to post a review. Have a great summer!

04/13/2018

Leslie L.

Technician came on time, very friendly, did a good job-tub looks like new

Description of Work
Bathtub refinishing

Category bathtub refinishing

I'm glad Victor arrived on time and did a good job on the tub. We get a ton of feedback about Victor's friendly-ness and good attitude. He is a great guy who really enjoys his job and working with people. Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us.

04/05/2018

Alex D.

Porcelite came out on Wednesday, March 21 in the morning to refinish the bathtub at a rental property I own. When I looked at the tub that evening, I noticed that the front left corner and the right rear corner had paint that had sagged down, as if there was too much paint applied. In addition, in the front left, there was some "fuzz" or lint that looked like it may have been from a roller. Other than these two areas, the finish was very nice - it was extremely smooth and very bright white. I called the next day and the technician came out to work on the two areas that same day. He sanded the areas and repainted them with a smaller spray tool. I left the tub alone for a couple days since it said to let it cure for 48 hours. Although the paint sagging was gone, I noticed that the finish was not the same in the repaired areas. The rest of the tub was glassy and smooth but the repaired areas were rough, almost like a matte finish. I noticed the water was beading on these areas differently. The difference was very noticeable when I ran my hand over these areas. I called again on Monday, March 26 and spoke with the person I originally spoke with to schedule the work to begin with. I said I was frustrated with the quality of the fix that was done and that I had a new tenant who moved in on the 26th, and I wanted all of this work completed before that. I spoke to my tenant and arranged for the technician to come out on Friday, March 30 between 4:30 and 6. On Friday, March 30 at 12:42 PM I got a text and then a call from the technician saying he was at the home but no one was home. I said we were not expecting him until later. He said he had a job cancel and that he could not wait until the scheduled time. I contacted my tenant and we arranged to have him come out on Saturday, March 31 in the morning. The work was completed on Saturday and my tenant said that the repaired areas were now smooth. I had no further communication from Porcelite until today when I called them to ask how I could pay the bill. I was told I could send a check to their address in Plymouth. There was no question about "How did everything go?" or "Sorry for the inconvenience". Bottom line, I would not hire this company again. The work quality was not consistent and the repair was also unsatisfactory. If the repair was done and I was told "I am sorry but I will need to come back again to make the finish consistent" I would have been fine with that and planned for it. However, what happened was that the repair was done and it was left up to me to find a defect again. On top of all this, the fact that the technician showed up at the home early without confirming that anyone was there, and then refused to honor the prearranged time is unacceptable and unprofessional. The final straw was that I have received no apology or acknowledgement that this was a hassle for both my tenant and me. My experience could be used as a case study for poor workmanship followed by poor customer service.

Description of Work
Bathtub refinishing

Category bathtub refinishing

I'm sorry we weren't able to get the tub to our normal quality level on the first visit. With regard to the 'poor customer service' feedback, I (one of the owners) personally heard our office person say twice during one phone call that Porcelite wants to make this tub right for you. We want all of our customers to be pleased with the quality of our work. Sometimes we don't get it right the first time, but we believe that we do everything within our power to correct imperfections such as you experienced. I'm sorry your overall experience with us wasn't positive. I have provided your feedback to both the tech and our office person.

02/21/2018

Lynne K.

Excellent from start to finish.....good company and employees

Description of Work
refinished tub

12/18/2017

Jarad M.

Excellent experience. Would recommend to a friend.

Description of Work
Bathtub refinishig

Category bathtub refinishing

I'm glad you had a good experience with Victor/Porcelite. Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. Happy Holidays!

11/09/2017

Bruce E.

Mitchell was on time and explained the process beforehand. He showed us color choices as dabbed- on samples on the side of the tub. He vented his work to the outside to minimize dust and smell. The tub was sanded, etched and multiple layers of the finish were applied to the tub and surrounding dated wall tile. The tub area was tented with poly during the spraying process. The finished product turned out well and we are very pleased with the over all appearance. Spraying the wall tile added continuity as it now matches the tub. Mitchell took his time, was professional and was a pleasure to have on site.

Description of Work
Resurfacing bathtub and wall tile surrounding tub

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile

Thank you so much for the review! I will make sure Mitchell is provided with this feedback. The techs love hearing that people are so pleased with their work. Thanks again!

11/08/2017

Debra J L.

Perfect, absolutely perfect!!! Mitch from Porcelite was on time, explained every detail of the process to me and what to expect and how to care for my new bathtub. I had researched the process on line and I can tell you that once Mitch explained each detail of what he was going to do I was SO glad I had contacted Porcelite. The price was extremely reasonable. This company is the expert....hands down!! I would not hesitate to recommend Porcelite to anyone. In fact, I took pictures and showed everyone at work and they all asked me who had done the work. One woman is considering having this done to her bathtub and I believe she will be contacting Porcelite to have the work done.

Description of Work
I have a 40 year old cast iron tub that was scratched and dingy over time. Nothing I used could really make it look clean. I recently had the surrounding bathtub-shower walls replaced. Next to them, the bathtub was an eyesore. My bathtub looks brands new!! What a phenomenal process!! It makes my whole bathroom look like a total renovation. It looks FANTASTIC! It is SO beautiful that I keep going into my bathroom and I just stand there and stare at my bathtub. I love it, I absolutely love it. Anyone considering this process should not hesitate to contact Porcelite.

Category bathtub refinishing

I'm glad your experience with Porcelite and Mitchell was such a positive one! It really is amazing how well this process turns out. Thank you for taking the time to not only write a review, but to post a picture - we sincerely appreciate it!