Home Energy Center

Founded 1981 • With Angi since March 2009

Home Energy Center has risen to the forefront as the HVAC contractor of choice in the Twin Cities and Des Moines metro areas. Established in 1981, we focus entirely on residential services, customizing our products and strategies to deliver the best possible value for local homeowners. As an

2022 Super Service Award

HVAC Companies

202255441
View project
Furnace Replacement  project

HVAC Companies

202255441
View project

HVAC Companies (44)water heaters (1)appliance repair (1)

10/27/2022

Debbie Z.

Great. Very timely, knowledgeable and efficient service.

Description of Work
Tune-up

Work Completed On 10/27/2022

03/22/2022

Ben F.

Fantastic Installation experience with Home Energy Center! Top notch communication and wonderful care for our home. They went above and beyond with communicating on rebates, warranty, and next steps to close out the permits. Very Happy Customer, will use again, and have also recommended their service to friends and family!

Description of Work
Furnace Install

Work Completed On 02/02/2022

03/22/2022

Steve H.

The AC/furnace unit was installed quickly and professionally. Totally satisfied.

Description of Work
HVAC Install

Work Completed On 12/15/2021

12/04/2010

Joel R.

First, this company has handled all of my heating needs/problems since 1986 when they replaced a 58 year old gravity furnace with a high efficiency forced air system. I was not always pleased with this first furnace, but the company techs always gave me good service and advice. I needed to replace this furnace due to a flooded basement that left the unit under water for 6 hours and it was 23 years old. I looked to Home Energy Center (HEC) because of the good service they had provided over the years, but it was their job to lose - I had some questions about the old furnace. I called to make an appointment for an estimate and Kevin came out on the date and time of my choosing (at that time as late as 7pm and Sat. available). Kevin knew about my old furnace and told me they had stopped installing that model a few years after my purchase - they had found something better (I believe mine was an early high efficiency model -92%), I was impressed that he didn't try to sidestep any of my criticisms and presented me with what I thought was a good heating plant. Kevin said it's normally a 2 week wait for the installation but they had a cancellation the following Monday (4 days) and if I opted for that date they would deduct $250. He already had my business so I thought this was a nice gesture. That Monday the 2 installers came at 7am sharp and got right on the job. They said it would take about 8 hours so when I came home at 330pm I was surprised to find they had finished up and left They did leave all the manuals and instructions for operation. HEC provides what they call a "happiness check" where a company rep makes a return visit to check out and familiarize the homeowner with the system. I called Joyce and set up this appointment for a week later and Steve arrived at the appointed time. He had a checklist of items to go through with me and answered all my questions. He again covered all the warranty information and said I would receive materials in the mail to apply for an energy rebate and the Federal Energy Tax Credit (2010 exp). I did get these documents as promised along with excellent instructions in dealing with them (thanks Joyce). Granted I have only had this furnace for 2 months but so far I have no complaints and the house is warm. I would certainly use HEC again and will for future service/maintenance calls.

Description of Work
furnace replacement.

Work Completed On 09/27/2010

11/08/2010

steve B.

I thought that they were very aggressive in their sales. Once they get your phone number, they don't leave you alone. They called monthly after the bid; it was really tough to get rid of them.

Description of Work
They gave a bid for installing a high-efficiency furnace.

Work Completed On 11/11/2009

10/18/2010

John M.

The job took 2 days. The first day they replaced the AC. So we were comfortable that evening and beyond. The workmen were very professional. Everything was done as expected and tested out before they left. And the old stuff was all removed with the areas left clean.

Description of Work
Replace air conditioner and furnace.

Work Completed On 08/01/2010

09/23/2010

ANDREW H.

They are very responsive. I've been satisfied with their service. They are professional.

Description of Work
They did maintenance on our heating and A/C system.

Work Completed On 07/06/2010

09/01/2010

HOLLY Z.

My husband felt that because we were up front that we were getting estimates from other companies, this salesperson sized us up as not serious and decided not to offer any useful information. It was disappointing that we both set aside time on a Saturday thinking we were going to get a serious estimate and useful information.

Description of Work
We contacted this company to provide an estimate on replacing our furnace. We were researching companies, getting estimates, asking questions, and looking for referrals. When we scheduled the appointment, they said it would take 1.5 hours and that both homeowners had to be present. The person who came to provide the estimate looked briefly at the furnace but didn't take measurements of the house, look at the chimney, vents, etc. We sat at the kitchen table for 30 minutes while he showed us things from his binder to support how great their company was, asked us questions about what we thought a furnace would cost. In the end, he jotted a few handwritten numbers on a notepad that he left us. A furnace is a big purchase and we had lots of questions about what kind of furnace he would recommend, BTUs, cost of operation, efficiency, what size he recommended (we'd been told the old furnace was too large for our home), what the cost of venting a high efficiency furnace and any chimney issues would be, etc. None of those questions were answered, he didn't leave any material that we could use to read and better understand what this company was recommending.

Work Completed On 08/26/2010

06/15/2010

LEE G.

The system works great and there have been no problems.

Description of Work
They installed a whole new heating and air conditioning system.

Work Completed On 08/01/2005

06/25/2009

Dan & Terry K.

The guys did a really great job and finished it in one day.

Description of Work
They put in a new furnace.

Work Completed On 03/19/2009

03/23/2009

Thomas K.

They came out and gave us an estimate. They measured how big the house was. They said the air conditioner we had was too big for the house and 15 years old. We have had problems off and on with our system. They got rid of the old unit for us. Everything was cleaned up when they left. They were her for about three hours. They were wonderful. They put booties on their shoes and didn't track on my carpet.

Description of Work
They put in a new furnace and air conditioner.

10/29/2008

Adrienne F.

Kevin Ott came out to do the estimate. He was on time and very professional and courteous. He was very knowledgeable and went over my current system with me. I did not get a written estimate as their systems are top notch and I was looking to get a simple system. He gave me some options.

Description of Work
They came out to do an estimate for a new furnace and A/C system.

05/19/2008

NITA B.

Very happy with the service. I was able to get the appointment on a day and time that worked for me, and Diane was very helpful and pleasant. On the day of the service it looked like rain so the rep called in advance to see if he could arrive early to get the A/C work done before the rain. He arrived at the time agreed to, and was knowledgeable and courteous. I pointed out one issue and he tried to replicate it (unfortunately we couldn't) but he did try something to fix what he thought I was describing. Because it was a tune up on a 3-year old system, I wasn't expecting any problems, and none were found. Not being knowledgeable in this area, I'm not able to evaluate the quality of the work, but I was very satisfied with the associates and their process.

Description of Work
Annual tune up of furnace and A/C.

12/11/2007

Mark S.

They came out to house, gave an estimate, did the work right away, finished in about 2 hours.

Description of Work
Removed one heating duct that was not needed, moved 3 others up so we could raise the ceiling in the basement, capped off another heating vent that was not needed.

12/03/2007

Ron Q.

Scott is the owner and very pleasant to work with. His crew came in a few days later and did the work well. We are very satisfied.

Description of Work
Installed island Jennair range vent and ducted to out of doors. Extended heat register to other side of kitchen. Installed cold air duct for air exchange.

Category appliance repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

11/06/2007

Kathe C.

The salesperson answered all my questions and was helpful in suggesting some alternatives. But their price was much higher and less inclusive than the other bids I received, with a shorter labor warranty.

Description of Work
Replace forced air furnace and install air conditioner.

10/23/2007

MARGARET L.

Everyone I have dealt with whether it was someone on the phone, the tech who did the work, the sales rep or the person who came out a week later to make sure everything was running ok, were professional, very courteous and pleasant to wok with. I enjoyed every single one of them. They answered all of my questions and were very patient with me.

Description of Work
They installed a new furnace.

10/06/2007

JUDY J.

John was very pleasant. He offered good advice and was very professional. I thought I would have to replace the existing AC, but he thought it just needed a good cleaning and he was right. It works great.

Description of Work
Extensive cleaning, checked freon level, checked AC performance, spent two hours on the job.

09/24/2007

MARGARET B.

It was a very good experience. They were able to schedule very quickly and it was a reasonable price for a good product.

Description of Work
Furnace installation.

09/11/2007

Scott M.

Sales rep was polite but had a somewhat different approach than some of the other companies I contacted. Talked quite a bit about their reputation and NATE certification. Have guarantees regarding energy savings. Spent very little time actually talking about the equipment he was recommending. We opted for another company due to price.

Description of Work
Received estimate for furnace. ($6675.)

08/22/2007

Christopher O.

I have read the comments on Home Energy on here and yes, they are sticklers for having both homeowners present. Good or bad, that s your call. My wife sat in with us on the conversation with Kevin, and we had to reschedule a second conversation with another company because of some of her questions after our meeting. I was skeptical, but think that it is a good idea that they do this. The presentation had a lot of tidbits that we did not find helpful. It came off as if no other HVAC company in MN knew what they were doing thus we should use HEC. As a new homeowner, a lot of this stuff is new for me, thus an explanation on what s available and why one would benefit from X rather than Y would have been more appreciated. Although our questions were answered, it did not seem like there was an attempt to connect with our vision of the work.

Description of Work
We are in the process of replacing our gravity furnace with a forced air system.

08/06/2007

Stephanie O.

I selected Home Energy Center based on Angie's List ratings and their coupon for a free diagnostic service call. Steve Cupps was fantastic. He arrived at our home on time and quickly diagnosed two problems. Although he had another service call to make at 5:00 pm, he returned at 7:30 with the required parts (three in all-two from his warehouse and one from an auto parts store) and finished the job. Since the weather was in the 90's every day, we were extremely grateful for his willingness to provide same day, after-hours service. They honored the Angie's List coupon and allowed us to avoid the costly bill of replacing our furnace and AC.

Description of Work
Diagnostic service call to see why our furnace and AC were not functioning, and if a repair was possible.

04/02/2007

MARY S.

It was kind of spendy, but I went from a 78% to a 92% furnace. There was a little bit of electrical work that the tech had to come back later on, but otherwise they got the rest of the work done in one day.

Description of Work
They took out and put in a high-efficiency furnace. Put in ducting through the side. Also installed a high-efficiency air conditioner, programmable thermostat and an April-Air Unit (whole house humidifier).