Castle Building & Remodeling

Founded 1977 • With Angi since November 2004

4.4

Design Showroom Locations:______ -2600 Johnson Street NE, Minneapolis, MN 55418____ -362 Snelling Ave South, St. Paul, MN 55105____ -5 W. Diamond Lake Road, Minneapolis, MN 55419____ -4020 Minnehaha Ave South, Minneapolis, MN 55406________________________________ Castle Building & Remodeling Inc is a professional design/build remodeling company that specializes in residential remodeling. Castle is a second-generation business with over 3,900 past clients. Our unique design studios in South Minneapolis, Highland Park, St. Paul and NE Minneapolis allow Castle’s interior designers to help you plan anything from handyman project, bath or kitchen remodel, all the way to the largest remodeling projects. Our detailed specifications and comprehensive planning process allows us to guarantee a favorable experience by ensuring there are no unforeseen costs and by providing a guaranteed completion date....

Diversified Drainage

Diversified Drainage is a full service drainage company, providing solutions for ponding water, soft or saturated soil, excessive patio or deck post heaving due to freezing in winter, waterproofing foundations to stop water infiltration. There are usually 5-6 Employees working during the season including the 2 owners who have 30 plus years of combined experience in drainage solutions. The scope of our job size on the smaller scale is $1000.00 and up as we use mostly specialized equipment and trained employees our mobilization costs are at the least a few hundred dollars. We may sub-contract out services that others are better able to perform than us in some situations like patching asphalt, underground boring, and bolder landscape walls. All payments are due upon completion and generally will collect payment onsite. For special promotions and financing options ask your rep.

Bormann Brothers Contracting Inc

Bormann Brothers is your number one choice for professional roofing contractors in Minnesota. Our company is family owned and operated and was established in 1997. Additional DBA - Bormann Brothers Contracting & Borman BrothersRoofing. Additional email - ssbormann@frontiernet.net , nickjen@frontiernet.net , Additional phone number - (612) 237-4601. Family owned and operated.

Tom's Miller's Roofing

The Miller’s team is your dedicated Wisconsin & Minnesota Roofing Contractor offering Roofing, Siding, Gutters, Window installation, and Emergency Roofing services

10/09/2019

Castle was great to work with. Emily, our designer, came up with a great design and really listened to what we wanted rather than push her own ideas on us. Construction was on schedule and very organized. General communication with the project manager could have been a little better, but he always responded to emails promptly. There were also a few minor issues with cleaning up that were promptly addressed. I will be using them again when we get around to our bathrooms. The price was comparable to other companies and the quality was excellent.

Description of Work
Full kitchen remodel along with new flooring in living room and new stair railing.

Category countertops,flooring contractor,interior designers,woodworking,home remodeling

09/28/2019

Overall work was fine - all contractors I came in contact with were very professional and respectful. Replies to emails were not very responsive. Never was given a timeline or estimate of what was supposed to be accomplished each week.

Description of Work
New bathroom tile, vanities, toilet installation, new light fixtures throughout house, crown molding.

Category electrician,lighting,remodeling,ceiling fans,home remodeling,interior painters

11/30/2018

This project took nine weeks just as projected. They were able to keep almost perfectly to the master day by day schedule. All trades staff and subs were professional and did high quality work. Electrician Mitch was excellent. Designer Ashley H. and project manager Steve were great communicators and visited the site often enough to keep progress on track and anticipate and head off problems, of which there were very few. I liked the flexibility offered by the company to get some savings-self painting and self purchase of sink, backsplash tile, disposer, and cabinet handles, so I could research quality and price. I chose Castle because they had experience and a focus on homes of my era and I was not disappointed! I had heard enough horror stories of projects gone wrong to go with perhaps a little higher cost remodeler that was excellent-money well spent to eliminate hassles. Comprehensive, detailed plans, detailed bid, great workers, on time= a happy homeowner here. I would highly recommend them for any kitchen project!

Description of Work
Total remodel of kitchen in 1949 vintage home

Category custom cabinets,countertops,electrician,flooring contractor,insulation,lighting,plumbing,remodeling,home remodeling

Thanks for the kind review, [Member Name Removed]! We are so happy you are pleased with your remodeling experience. It was wonderful working with you!

11/09/2018

We were so pleased with the work Castle did remodeling our first floor in 2016, that we contacted them for our unfinished basement remodeling project. Mark, our designer, spent a lot of time with us on the design, answering lots of questions, and helping us to use the space effectively, We were able to get a family room, laundry room, half bath, a large shop area, and plenty of storage. Castle was great to work with from start to finish. Both projects were completed on time, with excellent quality. Their project management staff were responsive to any concerns or changes we had during the project and we are very pleased with the results. I would definitely contact Castle again if we had future remodeling projects!

Description of Work
Basement Remodel

Category countertops,flooring contractor,insulation,lighting,plumbing,remodeling,home remodeling

Thanks for the review!! It was a pleasure working with you and we are DELIGHTED to hear how much you love your new space!

02/02/2018

Castle was wonderful to work with. The designer (Ashley H) worked well with us to design a project that was satisfying and within our budget. Both the construction manager (Steve) and Ashley were very responsive, communicative, warm and friendly, and worked with us closely throughout the design and build process. We received regular updates about building schedules, advice on how to prepare for different phases of building and were helpful with advice on changes/choices we had to make re: plumbing, wall configurations, etc. Overall, we had a very satisfying experience and the finished work is high quality. They were on-time (almost always) and stayed on budget. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Half bath and coat closet installation on first floor. Installation of storage cabinets, tech tube on first floor and upstairs bathroom. Replacement of kitchen ceiling. Remodeling/fixing second floor bathroom, which included tub replacement, toilet replacement, and re-tiling. Re-finishing all wood floors on the first floor, and refinishing wood stairway between first and second floor. Painting walls and ceilings of kitchen, living room, bathroom, 2nd bathroom, new closet, bathroom on the 2nd floor, staircase. Replacing bathroom exhaust fans. Replacing front storm door. Tiling back entryway. Replacing/installing new light/fan fixtures in the living room, new bathroom, new hallway. Installing new ductless mini-split system on first floor, second floor and third floor. Fixing baseboard issues in bedroom closet. Fixing various indoor doors.

Category custom cabinets,contractors,ceramic tile,closet systems,drywall,electrician,flooring contractor,hardwood floor,heating & air conditioning/hvac,interior designers,plastering,plumbing,remodeling,woodworking,ceiling fans,architect,home remodeling,interior painters,doors

01/29/2018

I received a couple of emails from Castle indicating their receipt of my email and that one of their designers would contact me to discuss my projects further before sending someone out to the house to do a preliminary estimate. I expected when she called that she would ask me some questions about the size of the bathroom space and what I wanted to change with the remodel. However, without knowing any of that information, she first asked if I had reviewed the information on their web site, which I had. Then she stated that she wanted to make sure I understood how much a bathroom remodel would cost before they sent someone out to the house to give an estimate, and she stated that most of the remodels they have been doing cost $25-35K, and was I prepared to spend that much? Therefore, without knowing the size of my space, whether or not any plumbing would have to be moved, what specific materials I wanted, etc, she made it quite clear that Castle Remodeling could not do a space for less than that amount. (Just to be clear, I have already had 2 other company reps out to the house to look at the space, and they did not indicate the cost would be that high.) This is not my first bathroom remodel, and I know they can be expensive. However, I also know that anyone can do a beautiful remodel on a small bathroom for $30K. However, it takes creativity to be able to work with a client who has smaller but still realistic budget - to choose a layout and materials that focus on quality, function, and beauty - without requiring everything to be high end. I felt like her tone was very condescending, and she did not recognize that the company could have had a customer for many years and many projects if she would have been more willing to work with me. The conversation left me feeling like Castle is only interested in high end remodels, and not in doing remodels in more modest homes. When I work with a company that is willing to be creative and where I am treated with respect, I am a great customer. I make decisions and don't request major changes mid project, I pay my bills, I remain loyal to that company, I refer my friends, and I write glowing reviews. I feel this Castle employee blew an opportunity today to not only gain my business but other business I could have brought to them.

Description of Work
I have a list of several interior and exterior projects that i would like to have completed over the next several years, and I'm hoping to find a company capable of completing the projects on my list that I can work with over time to bring my home to it's potential. I'm not wealthy, and I have a modest home, but I have done remodeling projects on previous homes and am fairly realistic about what is involved. I sent an email to several companies including Castle explaining this goal, listing my projects, and highlighting my priority projects for this year which include replacing ~500sq ft of carpeting with a hard surface flooring (probably vinyl plank) in my upstairs bedroom area, and also doing a total gut and remodel of the bathroom in my finished basement area.

Category flooring contractor,home remodeling

Hi [Member Name Removed], First of all I want to apologize for making you feel as though we were being condescending towards you. That is never our intention and we always try to treat everyone (whether a client or not) with the upmost respect. We deeply regret that your experience was disappointing. Thank you for writing this review to let us know! I have spoken to the design manager whom you had a conversation with and she feels terrible. She also noted that you were very thorough in your online form so she felt she already had a good idea of the project you were wanting - that may have come across as though she was skipping over those details. In our experience, the cost of a remodel is not well represented on TV and is usually the biggest barrier for our potential clients. Therefore, as part of our business model we do try to have the budget conversation upfront even though they may be uncomfortable. We would hate to have you fall in love with a bathroom design that wouldn't work financially, leaving you disappointed and feeling as though we wasted your time. I see from your review that you have had two other companies out to give you a bid and they did not indicate the cost would be as high as we estimated. While I cannot speak for other remodelers, one thing we pride ourselves on is providing upfront pricing. Other companies in this industry have a bad rep for giving initially lower cost estimates and then surprising you with charges later. This is something we avoid completely and try to give our clients the most realistic budget estimates that we can right away. It is not our intention to make any excuses for your bad experience with us. We just wanted to explain where we were coming from and again, we apologize for this lapse in communication which made you feel disrespected. If there is anything we can do to make it right, please reach out to the owner directly via email to discuss further. Take care! -Colleen Bursaw Marketing Manager Castle Building & Remodeling Inc.

09/29/2017

The remodel went very well. This was the only bathroom in the house and no major problems were encountered. Everyone was very prompt in responding to questions/concerns, keeping me up to date on the project progress. Everyone I encountered was great to work with.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel

Category home remodeling

08/17/2017

Everyone we worked with was extremely professional and knowledgeable. They came out to the house to measure and find out what we were interested in. About a week later we met at their showroom to go over the beautiful design they came up with. We decided against doing such a big project but will definitely call Castle when we're ready to go ahead.

Description of Work
We had Castle Building & Remodeling out to do a Kitchen Design package that would involve insulating our back porch and adding a laundry room. We opted not to do the project at the time but were blown away by how they paid attention to every little detail. The plan we received was beautiful and guarantee they offered showed how confident they are about their work.

Category home remodeling

Thanks for your kind words, [Member Name Removed]! Please do give us a call when you're ready to start your project! :)

06/14/2017

We had Castle come out to give us an estimate on insulating and finishing the three season back porch to extend kitchen and add a laundry room and bathroom. We decided against doing the remodel since we hope to move but the plan and estimate, which included gutting the current kitchen, were great. (FYI, this review and estimate is several years old now.)

Description of Work
Remodel kitchen/back porch

Category countertops,drywall,electrician,flooring contractor,heating & air conditioning/hvac,insulation,plumbing,siding,replacement windows,architect,home remodeling

06/03/2017

Great. Our designer (Mark) was very easy to work with and had lots of great ideas. He listened to our ideas, and provided feedback. Through years of this type of work, Castle has lots of experience to bring to this type of project. When we got stuck on choices of finishes, Castle provided design help (Emily) with that as well. Our project manager, who we saw often at our home (Scott) was great to work with. The whole team we worked with was professional, friendly, attentive and responsive. Their goal was always complete customer satisfaction.

Description of Work
Kitchen remodel with addition. We have a south Minneapolis home built in the 1930s and the kitchen was a little small, poorly laid out and very outdated. We hired Castle to design and construct our kitchen dream.

Category custom cabinets,ceramic tile,drywall,electrician,flooring contractor,insulation,interior designers,plumbing,roofing,replacement windows,woodworking,drain pipe,architect,home remodeling,interior painters

Thank you for choosing Castle and for sharing your feedback!

Kitchens, Bathrooms, Handyman, Interior Design Services, Flooring, Attics, Basements, Porches, Design & Build Home Additions, Master Suite Additions, Second Floor Additions

Landscaping, roofing, detached garages, and small amounts of single trades like: masonry, roofing, siding, electric, plumbing, etc.

MasterCard, Discover, Check, Visa, PayPal, Financing Available