Artistic Landscapes Inc

Founded 1998 • With Angi since June 2010

Artistic Landscapes is a reasonably priced, professional landscape design and installation company serving the Twin Cities area. We love to work on renovation projects, turning a boring landscape into a beautiful landscape! We are an owner operated company with 5 employees, designing and

The Backyard OasisA Service Provider's profile imageA Service Provider's profile image

hardscaping (37)lawn & landscaping (36)stone & gravel (13)Patios (10)mulch delivering (10)irrigation system (6)driveway pavers (4)masonry (4)landscape lighting (3)fence company (3)decks & porches (3)drain pipe installation (2)

04/15/2020

Tom D.

They did an excellent and impeccable job.

Description of Work
They did landscaping and put in a driveway service.

Category concrete driveways, landscaping

Work Completed On 04/10/2019

03/16/2020

Melissa C.

Love everything — quality of work and integrity of workers.

Description of Work
Landscaping, Deck, and Patio

Category decks, landscaping, mulch, drain pipe, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 03/13/2020

Review for Artistic Landscapes Inc - 2343 Xerxes Ave N, Minneapolis, MN - 38446316

06/12/2017

Beth .

Chris and his crew did a wonderful job. They came when they said they would, did everything they said they would, and the quality of their workmanship was top-notch. Would definitely recommend and am already planning to work with them again.

Description of Work
Re-leveled our paver patio.

Work Completed On 06/03/2017

10/24/2016

Jane P.

The quality of the work was excellent. Owner and workers were very professional and a pleasure to work with. Only complaint is that response to phone calls and emails was less than perfect, as I had to contact Chris more than once on a couple of occasions to get him to return my call or email. A relatively minor complaint compared to the general satisfaction I have with his work. I would definitely call on Artistic Landscapes again and would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
install paver sidewalk and improvements to drainage of storm gutters and sump pump discharge.

Category landscaping, drain pipe, hardscaping

Work Completed On 06/23/2016

10/24/2016

Jane P.

excellent quality of work but communications with owner was difficult. He often had to be contacted several times before returning a call.

Description of Work
install paver sidewalk in front of house

Work Completed On 10/24/2016

10/04/2016

Brian E.

excellent service, price and professionalism

Description of Work
concrete block retaining wall

Work Completed On 10/04/2016

11/02/2015

Jodi W.

Artistic Landscapes Inc. was one of many companies we talked to and received quotes from about installing a boulder retaining wall in our backyard to replace aging railroad ties and decking. The backyard is sloped with very limited access to move materials and equipment, therefore many of the companies we spoke with responded with either limited options for landscape ideas or unaffordable prices. Chris came out, listened to our ideas, gave us some of his and told us exactly what we could expect; he quickly put a bid together and we were elated it fell within our budget. He and his crew not only worked around the limited access issues, but challenging weather including rain and wet conditions/clay soils. In addition to an approximate 60 foot long boulder retaining wall, they installed 33 paver stones for a pathway, steps as a feature area, additional large boulders for aesthetic enhancements and graded the area to address critical storm water runoff needs. The placement of each stone/boulder was clearly thought through, resulting in a unique and attractive wall versus many of the standard "one on top of the other" looks. Toward the end there were a few minor tweaks we requested to which Chris and his crew were more than happy to accommodate until they knew we were completely satisfied. Clean up was fabulous too; our front yard damaged by major equipment during the process (which we knew was necessary) was fully restored as promised! Chris was good to communicate with and very trustworthy in terms of what he committed to delivering. I would recommend Artistic Landscapes to anyone seeking quality work at a fair price, and by someone who knows what works and what doesn't. We absolutely love our new backyard...thanks Chris and Artistic Landscapes!

Description of Work
Artistic Landscapes installed a boulder retaining wall, pavers and steps in our backyard. The wall was approximately 60 feet in length and was especially challenging given the limited access to the backyard. They also graded the area to maximize storm water runoff.

Category decks, excavators, landscaping, masonry, mulch, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

Work Completed On 09/01/2015

08/31/2015

Christine C.

The project went very well. We knew exactly what would be done prior to beginning. His men were careful and precise. We were very satisfied.

Description of Work
Replaced patio

Category patios

Work Completed On 08/01/2015

06/19/2015

Julie N.

Chris, the owner, reviewed my project needs, suggested block style and color, described the process in detail and provided an estimate. To ensure I would be satisfied with the color choice, he directed me to another project he completed in my area where the same block was used. The selection was perfect and I hired Artistic Landscapes. The crew arrived on time and completed the project as planned. Chris was on site throughout the project to answer any questions I might have and to ensure all was on track. The effort entailed removal of the existing flagstone wall, digging and setting a base, and removal of left-over flagstone and soil. They also had to accommodate my gutter drainpipe, and I was impressed with their solution. The team was professional, well organized and efficient. It looks great! I have no hesitation recommending this company!

Description of Work
Artistic Landscapes designed and installed a small retaining wall.

Category landscaping, masonry, mulch, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

Work Completed On 06/15/2015

06/06/2015

Mary Jane C.

We have had Chris do a number of smaller jobs for us over the last 5 years. We have always been extremely pleased with the quality of his work. The shoreline rock wall was by far the biggest project he has done for us. We couldn't be more pleased with the final outcome! In order to get the huge rocks to the shore, our yard was pretty torn up in the process, as was the sand beach. Not only does the rock wall look fantastic, but they put the yard and beach back in better shape than it was in the first place. In addition, Chris is friendly as well as professional and really cares about our input and suggestions. We will hire him again!

Description of Work
Chris and his crew put in a rock retaining wall on our shoreline.

Category landscaping, masonry, pavers, gravel

Work Completed On 06/03/2015

05/04/2015

steve H.

Job went extremely well. Chris and his crew were on top of everything throughout. Chris made it a point to discuss all phases of the project with me making sure we were both on the same page. The crew showed up every day at 8:00 am and put in a full day. This particular job was somewhat tricky in that our neighbor has a beautiful cedar fence with mission style lights topping each post. It had to be carefully disassembled and reassembled. There is also a large oak tree along the property line and the protruding roots needed to be cut clean and sealed. The walls came out beautifully and work perfectly with our house!

Description of Work
Removed existing retaining walls in driveway and replaced with block.

Category fencing, landscaping, masonry, hardscaping

Work Completed On 04/20/2015

Review for Artistic Landscapes Inc - 2343 Xerxes Ave N, Minneapolis, MN - 28775973

09/22/2014

Kristen S.

The project turned out BEAUTIFUL! My backyard patio was transformed into something better than I had anticipated. Chris was easy to work with and provided excellent communication throughout the project. He definitely went above and beyond with the scope of work. He was proactive in following up on a couple of minor details - which says a lot about the level of customer service and the pride he takes in his work. His crew kept everything as clean and tidy as possible throughout the process - which scores additional points in my book. I would definitely recommend Artistic Landscapes.

Description of Work
Replaced an old patio with new paver patio, re-graded backyard for more efficient drainage

Work Completed On 09/15/2014

08/23/2014

GEORGE A.

My overall experience with Chris at Artistic Landscapes was positive. Chris was very responsive and was very active in the day to day work on my project. Chris is very knowledgeable and we asked a lot of questions throughout the process. The project took longer than expected but there were some unfortunate weather delays and change orders to the project scope. Overall, we are pleased with the final outcome and would recommend Chris.

Description of Work
Boulder Wall, Paver Patio, Seat Wall with Columns, Landscaping, Adjustments to Sprinkler System

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 08/22/2014

08/06/2014

Marcus M.

I like the work that they did. They seem to be conscientious when they were here. It was fine. He could be reached by email and cellphone.

Description of Work
I used Artistic Landscapes. He put sod down for me in June. I had a whole bunch of stuff done. It was just part of the deal for finishing up the job from last year.

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 06/11/2014

03/11/2014

Charu T.

We invited 3 different contractors and received best price from Artistic Landscapes. Chris showed many options to me initially. I had couple of doubts on materials they use. He brought me to the house where he recently completed the work. That establish he left good reputation with owner where he served on project. He started work on day he given originally and completed in estimated time frame. His crew members are professionals and work hard. The completed project add value to property and my family liked very much . We recommend him and will hire again when we need in future.

Description of Work
Construction of Paver patio on backyard. sizing 35 foot wide 12 foot long. Steps from back sliding door through patio.

Work Completed On 06/17/2013

10/15/2013

Deborah J.

We chose Chris Baker and Artistic Landscaping for our project because he provided us with a computer-assisted-drawing (CAD) of the complete job when he gave us his bid. This drawing allowed us to see what the finished landscaping would look like including photos of the plants he planned to use. All of the bids were very close in price so the CAD drawing set Chris apart from the others. The project was finished in 10 days as projected. Chris provided us with samples of materials used but he encouraged us to see the products first hand at Hedberg Landscape Supplies to make sure we saw the true colors and that was a good idea; especially for the pavers used in the patio. Chris also worked with us on replacing some of his suggested plantings with ones that we preferred. Chris and his crew did great work on the entire project. Everything was tied together with the house. The Chilton edging, the Chilton flagstone steppers and the buff limestone boulders matched the Kasota stone in the house. Our neighbors looked at the finished yard and said it looked like a setting for a spa. The last day was a little rushed and the mulch could have been installed with more care but that was a small concern with such a large project. I would definitely work with Chris and his crew again.

Description of Work
We had our front and back yards totally redone. The existing pond was completely redone and enlarged to include a pump and filter. The existing patio was taken up; replaced and expanded to include a walkway around the side of the house. Most of the back yard was mulched except for a small area of sod for easier care. new plantings were placed throughout the back yard. The front yard is very shady so mulch was put down in that area along with new plantings and 9 large boulders. The rest of the yard was new sod highlighted with stone edging and steppers.

Category landscaping, mulch, pavers, gravel, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 09/24/2013

09/25/2013

PETER C.

It went great. They did high quality work, were extremely professional, fast and very competitively priced. We would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Artistic Landscapes ripped up our front walk, re-paved it with pavers, installed front landscape lighting and corrected a drainage problem in the front of our house.

Category landscaping, hardscaping, outdoor lighting

Work Completed On 08/26/2013

08/26/2013

CAROL T.

Chris was professional, friendly and easy to deal with. Even though he hadn't installed any permeable driveways, he had installed permeable patios and didn't see any problems with doing something similar with my small driveway. He even suggested some options for reusing the water. I would have accepted Chris' proposal but I found someone who installed permeable driveways using recycled material which is what I initially wanted and was having a hard time finding.

Description of Work
Chris gave me an estimate for installing a permeable driveway to replace my asphalt driveway.

Category driveway pavers, hardscaping

Work Completed On 07/28/2013

06/24/2013

Jonathon M.

Overall it went very well. About one week delay between start of project and completion. However, the delay was due to the wet weather this spring and no relection on the provider. Our sideway had heaved and needed to be replaced for safety reasons. Chis suggested pavers, and very satisfied with the results of both the walkway pavers, and patio area. Also accepted Chris's suggestion of adding paver veneer to the front stoop. Doing so added height to the stoop, requiring a step to be added. Chris provided this at no extra cost as it wasn't included in the estimate.

Description of Work
Replace concrete walkway with pavers, Add small patio area, and replace overgrown shrubs

Work Completed On 05/13/2013

06/19/2013

JOEL P.

I picked Artistic Landscape by reviewing Angie's List for Landscaping providers. I had identified five companies that I was interested in, with Artistic Landscape being my first choice. I ended up only contacting Artistic Landscape. I was looking for a small company who would be able to provide design work and the installation services. Chris Baker (owner) came over four about an hour and listened to what we were looking for. Instead of sending us a quote, he came back two weeks later with a CAD drawing and presented us a design for our review. We discussed different stone (for the sitting wall) and different pavers for the patio/sidewalk. We had the option to change things up if we wanted to. After choosing Artistic Landscape, Chris came back again to show us actual samples of stone and pavers to finalize our design. The implementation went smoothly. It took them about 4.5 days to get the work done. Chris had two guys doing landscaping and two guys doing pavers and stone walls. Chris was also here most of the time working with them as well. In addition, Chris had my six year old in the bobcat (technically a compact track loader) for 10 minutes while he was loading up the dump truck on the second day. Chris was very friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. We would gladly use him again and recommend him to friends/neighbors.

Description of Work
Removed sidewalk, landscape rock in front and sides of house, and all shrubs/bushes. Installed paver patio, stitting wall, paver sidewalk, and added a layer of pavers over the front concrete stoop. Installed new landscape rock, new flowers, and new shrubs. And replaced two home made paver/stone flower beds, with matching stone (to sitting wall). And laid down sod and adjusted sprinkler system after everything was installed.

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, pavers, gravel, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 06/14/2013

02/18/2013

Kevin C.

Chris and his team from Artistic Landscapes were reasonably priced, did excellent work, were flexible and open to change requests, left a clean job site every day, and were not only professional, but fun to work with.

Description of Work
Significant renovation to landscaping, new driveway, etc

Category landscaping, driveway pavers, hardscaping

Work Completed On 09/01/2011

01/24/2013

Britta C.

Chris and his crew did an excellent job. We had to fix our grading and start from scratch. Chris put in a new brick paver sidewalk, fixed our front stone stoop, flatted our back yard that was previously a jungle, put up a new fence, and did all new plantings in the front, side, and partially the back of the house. For us, it was a big job and he did a excellent work. We also were getting water in the basement, but after he fixed the grading and put in drain tile it stopped the water. He replaced the sod in the front, and although they had to put more in than originally estimated, he honored his initial bid. He was really flexible with our schedule and it was really nice to just be able to trust someone to do a good job without supervision. You can tell that he loves what he does.

Description of Work
Lanscape Services.

Category fencing, landscaping, hardscaping