Expert Building Services

Founded 1976 • With Angi since October 2010

4.3

3106 E Us Highway 169

Grand Rapids, MN 55744

Expert Building Services provides free estimates for remodeling homes and buildings in the Itasca County area. John Schirber returns calls promptly and sets up house calls at the convenience of our customers. Once we discover the priorities, we collaborate with the owner to complete their wish list. We specialize in handicapped accessible homes. Are you looking for a bathroom or kitchen remodel? Maybe you need a new roof, siding or windows? John and Linda strive to give 110% to every customer. We are eager to meet you on your building site and begin to prepare a proposal for your approval. Additional contact name - Cassidy Hammer. Additional email - cassidyrhammer@icloud.com....

08/13/2020

DANIEL D.

This is the second job, John, Daryll, and company have done for us. I like the way they respect our home and take extra steps to keep the job as clean and neat as possible. They have skills that make them perfect for remodel jobs on older homes as well as newer homes. They provide the best "bang for the buck" if you wish to hire pros. And since I myself do not possess the necessary talents to do such fine work, I'm glad they're nearby.

Description of Work
They installed a new bay window, and also a new sliding patio door.

Category drywall, egress windows, picture framing, plastering, woodworking, home remodeling, doors

08/22/2019

Tim O.

Expert Building Services was outstanding. They exceeded my expectations in every aspect of the project from timing to cost to workmanship. John and his team are friendly, professional, creative, and very skilled problem solvers. I will hire them again for any and all future building repair or renovation projects. I highly recommend you do as well.

Description of Work
Major Building Repair

Category decks, drywall, electrician, fencing, picture framing, gutter repair, remodeling, roofing, siding, water damage restoration, replacement windows, woodworking, house painters, doors

06/30/2018

Celeste S.

We had John and his crew install an egress window in our home at the end of May 2018. We really appreciated that they showed up when they said they would, they were respectful of our home, the cleaned up the site well when they were done and John went above and beyond making our landscaping match the other side of the house (it was not expected of him to do, he just did it to be nice). Our new window has added a much needed bedroom to our home that will be enjoyed for years to come. Our final price was no more than the quote we were given which we really appreciated!

Description of Work
Egress window installed

Category egress windows

10/22/2017

Neal R.

We asked up front what happens if it takes longer than you expect? Do you go by the hour ? He said no they never go by the hour but by the bid they don't mess with hours. So he bid the job with 4 days of caulking, one person on it and the 4th day he ran out of caulk and demanded more money than the bid, he was 8 tubes of caulk short and about 3/4 another day to finish and he wouldn't go any further, he packed up his things and said we're done he wouldn't negotiate or meet us halfway. He said he'd have it done by Nov 1st and just walked out on us leaving us with one full side of the upper story undone and we are very disappointed and saddened by these events and recommend everything be put in writing when working with this man and signed by both parties and notarized if possible to protect yourself. Never take him at his word its no good.

Description of Work
Exterior Caulking

07/23/2017

Laurene A.

I was amazed how good they are. They're name Expert Builders says it all. John and his team do the absolute best they can do. They go beyond my expectations. Everyone worked so well together. Very kind, considerate, respectful. They made me part of the team and genuinely cared about what I wanted or needed. I will tell my friends and family about them. Highest recommendation I can give.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel, windows, stair railing, gutters, cover for egress window

Category gutter repair, remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling

07/11/2017

brian S.

great job Frist class all the way will use again. thanks for a job well done John and his crew.

Description of Work
They replaced my old deck

Category decks, gutter repair, remodeling, foundation repair

07/03/2017

Carolyn E.

Very well done. Charges were accurate as estimated before job.

Description of Work
Building a new deck

Category decks

06/30/2017

Brenda C.

It went very smoothly. Everyone was very professional, and we were kept up on progress through phone calls and e-mails.

Description of Work
New roof, new back door installed, all new windows throughout the house and some electrical.

Category electrician, insulation, remodeling, roofing, replacement windows, doors

04/25/2017

Maureen F.

All the wood working turned out beautiful, the workers are not only experts, they are master craftsmen. All the work was finished in a reasonable time. Everything was approved by the city inspectors. I highly recommend Expert Builder Services.

Description of Work
They stabilized my foundation, replaced all my windows/framed them with beautiful pine, finished my deck with railings and steps/added stone tiles on the ground, upgraded my electrical box, and replaced my kitchen cabinets, counter top, and added dry wall.

Category countertops, drywall, electrician, replacement windows, deck cleaning, woodworking, home remodeling, foundation repair

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for your response to our work. John and his crew always strive to give their best. We hope we gave you 110% like everybody else.

02/07/2017

Jo O.

it didn't. they never called or emailed per my request.

Description of Work
new metal roof on house now and several other garage at a later date.

Category remodeling, roofing

Hello [Member Name Removed], May 3, 2107 This is the first time we have looked at our [Redacted] account in the last three months. We have been so busy! We did not know we would get leads from [Redacted], because this process is new for us. 90% of our work is from word of mouth and people just call us. You can call me John, 218-326-9762 or email me at [Email Removed] Sincerely, John Schirber State of Minnesota License Number 20047854

04/30/2016

Diane H.

Fantastic company! We are more than pleased with the work, the professionalism and expertise. The entire crew was very easy to work with. The owner John was right on the ball with getting things done and organized. Our thank you to John, Al, Darrel, Ann and the rest of the crew. They went above and beyond!

Description of Work
We had basement windows replaced. Chimney pipe removed. Windows and siding which included the outside Styrofoam insulation board. Wrapped all windows that were already in place with aluminum. Doors along with storm doors. Gutters and down spouts. Repaired deck boards and put up deck board behind decks. Installed locksets, etc. Roof was done.

Category picture framing, gutter repair, insulation, siding, replacement windows, chimney repair, woodworking, doors

01/13/2016

Cathy R.

Description of Work
We ended up not paying the entire bill because the entire project was not completed

05/14/2015

Crystal L.

Expert Builder Services is wonderful. They are very professional. They finished on time. They do quality work, especially Daryl. He is the main guy that did most of the work for my job. I am a VERY happy customer. I love my addition!

Description of Work
I had a small addition put on my home so that my laundry could be brought upstairs.

02/25/2015

Sheila N.

It didn't, they never even provided a quote after multiple requests.

Description of Work
Nothing. We requested a quote for siding on house and garage. Came out promptly to measure and discuss the job but then we never heard back. We called twice to get the quote and never received anything. Not asking any more.

07/15/2014

NYLE L.

They responded and completed all of the work, faster than other contractors, quoted, or responded.

Description of Work
Service was aware of codes and methods. Corrected many mistakes of TJB. They were responsive, thorough and reasonable, compared to other contractors, who either didn't show, didn't respond as promised, or had cost overruns. I would hire them, again.

06/10/2014

Mary H.

He responded. He is about 50 miles away. I was pleased. He took my call right away. I think he was driving right away. I think he stopped and gave me all the information. Emailed me back and he went over there and said I will get there as quick as I can and gave me an estimate. Very professional. So we sent it in to the insurance company. We settled with them and now we have to decide if to go with him. Professional, prompt. We haven't done any work, but as far as responding and be here to help, he was good. But I think he will do a good job for sure. He was quick to reply, to drive over to give an estimate when you are 50 miles away. I thought that was impressive. It's not like you are just going a couple of blocks away.

Description of Work
Quote on roofing.

09/20/2012

Karin M.

We received an approximately $20,000 rural cities loan from our town in Northern Minnesota. Through the county agency we chose Expert Building Services as one of our several options because they were one of the contractors that I knew from the list. Of the 3 contractors we chose, John called first, kept his appointment time, worked within our time frame (90 days required by the program). We had a few extras that he helped us get and worked with both our loan budget and our personal budget for the things we were looking for. His staff was prompt and courteous, safety conscious. The staff was considerate of the space around them (including our "pet room") and made sure they cleaned up the waste products and supplies that were present. John checked with us personally on a regular basis to make sure we were happy with the progress of the project and with the comportment of his staff. We are very pleased with the whole process because within 30-35 days they had the whole project all "buttoned up" and we were ready to continue with our lives. We didn't find the presence of the contracting staff to be stressful as we were gone most of the day at work. We looked forward to seeing the progress made from day to day. John had the staff start during the very last week of March but I don't remember the day. We recommend Expert Building Services if you are looking for an honest group and one that respects your time and property.

Description of Work
Replace roof; replace windows; replace door; remove lead based paint.

Category roofing, replacement windows, interior painters, doors

07/19/2012

Cathy R.

It ended badl, we thought the work to be off a less then quality nature.

Description of Work
Our kitchen and living room were gutted and then put back together. The emplpyees did an adequate job but no one actually finished the final punch list (which we gave to the owner 6 times). There were some mistakes which were never corrected.

Category closet systems, countertops, drywall, hardwood floor, remodeling, replacement windows, glass block, home remodeling

As the owner of Expert Building Services, I've enjoyed great job site successes in the thirty three years I've been in business. 90% of my customers have turned into wonderful friends. They continue to use my services year after year. In any business there are going to be jobs which do not work out. I am so glad to let them go and concentrate on the wonderful clients I continue to serve.

06/26/2012

Fred S M.

They were fine.

Description of Work
They replace a ceiling.

12/15/2011

Heather A.

John (the owner) was very quick to respond to my request for an estimate and was very prompt to show up at the appointment time. Once the workers arrived they were very accommodating to any special requests I had and were very respectful and professional. The workmanship was EXCELLENT,and quick. They were very good at cleaning up every night when they were done. My overall experience with this company was wonderful and John will be the first one I call if I every need more work done on my house. Also Miller Roofing did my roof in one day with tear off and replacement. And they completely cleaned up all of the debris from the job.

Description of Work
I had all my siding removed and replaced and my windows removed and replaced. Plus I had my bathroom completely gutted out and redone. And I had a new roof put on by their subcontractor Miller Roofing.

Category drywall, remodeling, siding, replacement windows

Custom Carpentry and Woodworking

We are your locally owned and operated one stop for all of your home needs. We offer everything from dirt work, brush hogging, custom landscaping, hardscaping, one of a kind outdoor kitchens, rock, or gravel. If it is in your dirt, I am your guy! I also offer beautiful, one of a kind, restoration, installation and fabrication of custom wood flooring, cabinetry and countertops, hand made wood furniture or any other wood project. I bring a level of craftsmanship only equaled of those times past.

Loyear Disaster Restoration Services, LLC

Please call for a free estimate today! With over 68 years of experience, Loyear Disaster Restoration Services understands it's not just about restoring your property, home or business. We help rebuild lives. If you experience devastation from fire, water, or Mold our professional team of technicians at Loyear Disaster Restoration Services are here to help. When your property is affected by disaster, getting back to normal can be the hardest part of the recovery and can feel like your life is turned upside down. We understand and can help simplify an overwhelming process. From start to finish we help you every step of the way.

Offers by Loyear Disaster Restoration Services, LLC on Angi
    Innovative Basement Authority

Innovative Basement Authority, founded in 2005, is a subsidiary of Groundworks, a family of companies that offers superior, proven solutions for your foundation repair, structural repair, crawl space encapsulation, dehumidification, and concrete leveling needs. They currently maintain offices in Fargo, ND, Rush City, MN, and Minneapolis, MN. Innovative Basement Authority is a recognized accredited member of the Better Business Bureau and devotes its years of experience, industry knowledge and specialized training to help customers protect their homes or commercial buildings from water damage, concrete sinking, and foundation failure.

Offers by Innovative Basement Authority on Angi