AMEK Custom Builders

Founded 1996 • With Angi since September 2001

4.1

9340 James Ave S

Bloomington, MN 55431

The AMEK family are trusted in the Minneapolis and St. Paul region as custom builders and remodelers who have worked with local homeowners for 16 years. Family owned and operated. License #BC164402

07/14/2019

david S.

My wife and I hired Amek after we talked to about 15 other contractors to a series of small exterior jobs on our home. All of the other contractors wanted to do decks, or windows or siding. None were able/willing to do it all. We judged Amek's price to be exceptionally high(just under 4x the price of materials) but after trying for nearly 2 years to get the work done, we agreed to their price. Everything went well at first. Then, we went into a period where virtually no work was done for 19 days. As we got more and more frustrated, we learned that Amek had sub contracted our entire job and some of the sub contractors, sub contracted some of their jobs. We ended up in many finger pointing sessions. The quality of the work that was eventually done by Amek employees was top notch as was the work by one particular sub contractor. I wish that I could say the same for other sub contractors. Most disappointing was the poor communication between us, Amek and the sub contractors. Our advice to anybody considering using Amek is to insist that the work be done by Amek employees or be fully advised prior to signing the contract about which work can be subcontracted.

Description of Work
Siding, Windows, Deck and General

Category decks, gutter repair, remodeling, siding, replacement windows

10/18/2018

Kurt M.

Excellent. AMEK replaced our old wooden deck and enlarged the size of the new deck with Azek deck boards, an iron railing and a beautiful spiral staircase that descends to our pool deck. They removed our entire front porch and reconstructed it with new balusters and new double front doors with nickel glass panes. Their workmanship is first class. Our home looks much classier now. I would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
New deck, iron railing, and spiral staircase, new front porch and double entry doors

Category decks, remodeling, siding

04/04/2018

Chris Z.

Started project in September2017, did not finish siding until the week before Christmas 2017. Worker were working maybe 4 days a week and always had family issues that prevented them from working past 3:00p.m., rarely there before 9:00 a.m. Trim around windows has gaps between drywall and trim work. Door was promised to be factory painted and was not. Compromised to have them paint it and there are still spots not painted. Service door to garage has issues, lights do not work. Never got to gutters or driveway. Owner does not communicate and project manager does not either. Received a final bill before final inspection was completed. Was denied the opportunity after requesting to be at my home for the final inspections which occurred end of March 2018. It is now April and I am still waiting for communication regarding my requests. I assume the work that was completed is ok and will most likely have to pay to have another inspection completed to have peace of mind that my home is protected. The warranty on my door is invalid because I compromised to allow them to paint it or he lied about the factory painting. I called off the driveway after the snow flew in November and Amek forgot about doing the gutters. I am not a satisfied client of AMEK

Description of Work
siding, window, doors, gutters and driveway

Category concrete driveways, gutter repair, siding, water damage restoration, replacement windows

10/23/2014

Beth J.

Description of Work
They performed a remodel to help with flow and function. Matt with AMEK was extremely efficient and professional.

Category remodeling, roofing

06/09/2013

Susan O.

The project started out as a result of damage from ice dams the year before. We contacted AMEK the year before the project started. They worked with us and our insurance company patiently to insure we received fair compensation from our insurance company. We had an energy audit done by centerpoint energy and knew that our insulation was inadequate. Since most of our house has cathedral ceilings our research lead us to conclude that SPF insulation was required to meet our insulation needs to prevent any more future ice dams. Finally after a year of back and forth with the insurance company with a lot of help from AMEK we received a fair amount form the insurance company so that we could proceed with the project. There was someone there every minute from AMEK to be there in the event that anything went wrong, which of course it did, Where we have the cathedral ceilings we have tongue-in-groove cedar ceilings. Since the house was built in 1980 it didn't have any sheetrock underneath the cedar ceilings. The company that did the insulation carefully had to put a base coat on so that the insulation didn't blow through the ceiling. A wire got cut so he had to get an electrician there immediately. It was estimated that the project would take 3 to 4 days. It ended up taking 4 days. The cleanup after the project was completed was excellent. They were one of the few companies that would tell us what it would cost them to do the project. The other companies wanted us to believe that they would get the entire project totally covered by the insurance company. We weren't too sure that we would get the quality we were looking for or would get an unexpected final bill. We had no problems with ice dams this year.

Description of Work
We had the old shingles and decking removed from the entire house and garage. Where we have sloped ceilings we had 5 1/2 " spray polyurethane foam insulation, the rest of the house had R-30 cellulose insulation. New decking, ice & water shield to code along with 15# felt underlayment, and shingles were put on. Two skylights were replaced with solar powered shades. New vents and stacks were installed.

04/11/2012

AL M.

Overall, the experience was excellent. This is a family owned company and the brothers work very well together. They were very professional, upfront with costs and everything else. They explained all of the options, and Andy was on site with the crew. The clean-up was very efficient. There were some nails found in our yard afterwards, and Andy came out personally to make sure that was cleaned up. Our neighbor also had them put their roof on. There were some problems with some leaking afterwards, and Andy and his crew came out to exhaustively look for the leak, but it turns out the leak was coming from a toilet. It’s a very straightforward, efficient and trustworthy company. We are currently having them do a bid for finishing our basement, since we would feel very comfortable working in our home again. I would highly recommend them to anybody else!

Description of Work
They put a new roof on our house.

04/10/2012

John F.

They did a fabulous job! When the job was finished, the person that was supervising the work called me and told me about some damage that he thought was done by the crew. Turns out, that damage wasn’t caused by the crew (I already knew about it), but I appreciated that he was so upfront. They got the job done on time, and cleaned up well. The price was reasonable, and Andrew was a good guy to work with. I’ve recommended him to friends of mine!

Description of Work
The replaced my roof and fixed a couple of windows.

Category roofing, replacement windows

07/15/2011

Kevin L.

We met with Matt Schmidt with AMEK Construction on several occasions in March and April of 2011 to discuss our home addition project. We discussed in detail the features we wanted in our new addition and clearly stated our budget. We asked Matt repeatedly if what we discussed would be within our budget and were always told it was. On April 20, 2011 we decided to go forward with the design phase of the project since we were convinced AMEK could do this for us within our budget. We signed a contract with AMEK that clearly stated the budget and paid AMEK $750.00 for a preliminary design. On May 23, 2011 AMEK presented their proposal. Their proposal was 40% over the contract stated budget. We asked them how could this happen and they said there must have been a misunderstanding. We specifically asked on numerous occasions during the design phase if we were in budget and were always told YES we were. We obviously did not go any further with the project being that it was way over our stated budget. So basically we paid AMEK $750.00 for a proposal that was 40% higher than our written contract budget. We are extremely disappointed with AMEK and feel we were grossly misled. We have asked AMEK Construction refund us half ($375.00) of the $750.00 we paid for the proposal. We have tried to discuss this issue with AMEK directly but have been unsuccessful in coming to an agreement.

Description of Work
AMEK Construction provided preliminary design plans for a home addition project.

Category remodeling

This complaint is completely mis-leading. The member fails to mention he filed a complaint with BBB about the same thing. We replied in a very timley maner and the BBB was satisfied with our response and believed we did not mislead the member. To see this full report go to BBB case # 57203506. They were unhappy with BBB's findings and filed another complaint with them that they didn't agree. BBB sent them a reply that they agreed with us and the case was closed. 40% over budget? false. The proposed price for the addition was actually $56k with options up to $70k. They wanted an addition with most of their kitchen remodeled? I showed them several additions we'd completed from $40k-$100k just so they had a perspective on what we were going to design and how their selections could impact the project. What the member also fails to mention is that they singed a design contract for $1,500.00 and only paid us $750.00. We had done everything agreed on for the $1,500 from prelim plans, scope of work, final plans but becasue of the major disconnect we agreed to forgive the remaining balance. The whole situation was very unfortunate for both us and them. To say we mislead them is really not true. Mis-leading someone would be having them sign a contract for an amount they wanted to hear and then charging them lots of change orders once the project started.

06/15/2010

Greg K.

I called this company last November, received a quote to fix a leak from my skylights and to fix the water damage in my living room. We waited until spring to complete the job because snow was starting to fall. I attempted to call the company in the spring and they called me back to set up an appointment to finalize the details. They never showed up for the meeting - glad I took a half day at work!!! I still have not received a call back after they missed the last meeting.

Description of Work
Skylight install and fix water damage

Category drywall, remodeling, skylights

05/16/2003

MICHAEL H.

THE GUY TOOK TOO LONG WHEN HE WAS GIVING ME AN ESTIMATE AND HE CALLED ME EVERY OTHER DAY TO SEE WHAT I DECIDED.

Description of Work
THEY GAVE ME AN ESTIMATE ON SIDING.

04/25/2003

LUKE W.

I CALLED THEM IN EARLY FEB. AND TALKED TO ONE MAN WHO GOT SOME INFO ABOUT WHAT I WANTED AND SAID GARY OR DUPRE WOULD CALL BACK. NO ONE HAS CALLED BACK AFTER FOUR WEEKS.

Description of Work
ESTIMATE FOR REMODELING

12/27/2002

nancy H.

TONY IS AN EXCELLENT SALESMAN & FOLLOWS THROUGH TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH THE JOB

Description of Work
SIDING

11/22/2002

KEITH R.

CREWS WERE VERY PLEASANT AND EASY TO WORK WITH. WENT THE EXTRA MILE.

Description of Work
NEW SIDING.

09/19/2001

Description of Work
REPAIRED DECKING, INSTALLED STORM WINDOWS, FRONT WALKWAY

Category replacement windows

09/19/2001

DOUG B.

VERY PROFESSIONAL

Description of Work
ROOF GUTTERS

Category gutter repair

A&M Builders LLC

Fully licensed and insured. When we build, we build to last!! We use high quality materials and take the time from the beginning to end of the project to make sure every step is preformed to the very best of our ability. We build high end decks and porches, specializing in the more decorative ones. We take pride in our work and it shows! We are a small owner operated company with decades of experience in building and remodeling that strives to turn your dreams into reality!

Infinite Decks

Infinite Decks is Minnesota's Premiere Custom Deck Builder! We specialize in low-maintenance, hardwood and aluminum. Our options for decks and porches are #infinite!

Complete Building Solutions

SUPER SERVICE AWARD FOR FOUR CONSECUTIVE YEARS! Complete Building Solution's team of professional engineers and consultants brings residential and commercial structural engineering solutions to our Midwest based clients. We are here to remove the mystery of structural engineering; bridging the gap between construction and engineering in a consumer-friendly way.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Financing Available

Design Build Remodeling, Stucco Renovations, Construction Defect, Roofing, Siding, Remodeling, Additions.