A 1 Asphalt Inc

Founded 1988 • With Angi since May 2010

4.1

4634 Division St

Wayland, MI 49348

At A-1 Asphalt, Inc., we strive to enhance the success of our customers by providing them with the highest-quality asphalt services and the greatest degree of integrity, responsiveness, and professionalism. One of our key focuses at A-1 Asphalt, Inc. is to constantly provide our customers with great value. We believe that building our business relationships based on this focus has made us what we are today. A-1 Asphalt, Inc. calls themselves Team A-1. Team A-1 states that they give their customers the greatest value that not only includes competitive prices but also includes the skills and know-how necessary for every project. Do not hesitate to call or visit A-1 Asphalt, Inc. We are here to help you with all your asphalt projects....

07/12/2019

Lauren I.

We just had this done two days ago...it hasn’t been seal coated properly and is still very soft. We’ve left several messages and no response what so ever. Maybe his dad ran a good company but things have obviously changed for the worse. All I want is my job fixed...

Description of Work
Asphalt Driveway

Category driveway pavers

[Member Name Removed], I am with A-1 Asphalt Inc, located in Wayland, MI. We did not do the work in your driveway. Brooklyn, MI is out of our service area. There is another company with the name of A1 on the east side of Michigan. We are sorry that you had trouble and hope that you can come to a resolve with the company that did the work. Deb Hanes A-1 Asphalt Inc.

07/12/2017

bill B.

Good. Communication on arrival time was different than actual arrival.

Description of Work
Replaced driveway.

05/08/2017

lynn B.

over quality was below average. When they came back to fix the problem, it ended up being worse looking than when they started. Said they would come back in 6 months and seal coat it free. We'll see if that makes any difference. Would not recommend them for any job.

Description of Work
remove old asphalt and lay new asphalt in driveway.

09/20/2016

Andrea A.

They never returned my call. I left a detailed message.

Description of Work
Long driveway paved.

03/24/2015

Anastasia D.

The first application was poured on a Monday, as well as the millings for the entire drive. They did exactly what was expected and angled the drive in a manner to allow proper drainage. The final coat of asphalt was laid 1.5 weeks later, after the first layer cured. We are very happy with our driveway and the cost and speed that A1 delivered! Thank you!

Description of Work
Asphalt 2000 sq ft and lay aphalt millings for the length of the drive (~2000 sq ft)

01/05/2015

Douglas B.

They were okay. I wouldn't say they were fantastic, and I wouldn't say they were terrible. They were in the middle. The interaction with them was fine, they showed up, did the work, I paid them, and away they went. The work was okay, I don't think it was the best job ever, or the worst.

Description of Work
We used A 1 Asphalt. They patched and sealed my driveway.

10/25/2014

john O.

They were not our first choice, but getting contractors to even come to an appoitment is tuff, and the first choice would not return calls to even schedule the job. A -1 stopped and gave a good bid, then they too dragged thier feet about a start time, then the Demolition crew arrived and did a great job removing and reshaping the drive..all good. then ..nothong, no call and they did not return to pave the drive. They did not come the next day??, I called 3 times before someone returned my call and I spoke to Andy the scheduler...he thought the job was done? After i explained they had not returned, he informed me they had and quot; other Obligations that week, and would not be out until the following week!...I asked wasn't i an Obligation?? Not enough. They arrived at 3PM the following week, and started paving , they did the first coat , and then left. Again no call, no expalation for when they would be back, or why it was not finished? We waited , 1 day no calls , no return to our calls, 2 days then Gary Walters texts that they needed extra time for the material to dry??Multiple calls and no returns, no manager to speak to. But i got the bill for the first layer of paving the next day...they started billing me before the job was completed? The next week they arrived without notice and Gary calls , and quot; you need to get home and open your garage door so they can pave under the doorand quot;, so i have to drive back to my house and open the door, then go back to work?? The drive Has 2 seams down the middle, there is a watermellon size rough patch near the opening, and the drive is still leaving tire prints wherever we park a car 3 moths after the Blacktop was installed?? Called A-1 , they always refer me back to GAry Walters, he does not call me back 4-6 calls, then asked for a supervisor, can't talk to him, Brian, but leave a message...then Gary walters texts me and quot;you have a Problem?and quot; I tell him about the Imprints, then seams , the rough spot...he tells me he'll check...then 2 weeks Later i call, and Gary texts he sees only 1 spot and this shouldand quot;pop outand quot;. I'M DONE! THESE GUYS SUCK AT SERVICE, COMMUNICATION, FOLLOW UP, AND START BILLING BEFORE THE JOB IS EVEN DONE!! I WOULD NEVER HAVE THESE PEOPLE TO ANY WORK FOR ME EVER AGAIN. THINK TWICE NO 3 TIMES BEFORE YOU USE THESE GUYS, AND CHECK THE CONTRACT...SMALL PRINT!!! GOOD LUCK.

Description of Work
Removed and replaced our residential driveway.

09/25/2014

Richard H.

See above; no services performed. No response to telephone messages.

Description of Work
This provider performed no services. I called this provider four times and left messages at the extension provided by the telephone receptionist. Not one of my calls was returned. I would not use this provider if that is typical of their response to phone calls and requests for information. For information, two other service providers responded to my call with two hours.

Category driveway pavers

I have searched our lead tracking system and do not find a [Member Name Removed] at this West Olive address listed. I am wondering if he called a different A1 Asphalt as there are others in Michigan. If he is sure it was us, can he give me the name of the estimator he left messages for so I can follow up further. Deb Hanes, A-1 Asphalt Inc.

07/14/2014

chas S.

They did a very good job. Their communication and good work stood out the most.

05/12/2014

mike M.

RECOMMENDED WORK THAT DID NOT NEED TO BE DONE

Description of Work
RIPPED ME OFF

10/27/2013

Robert B.

Requested quote on line - a quote was sent via email and I did not know anyone came out to estimate the job - strange but effective. I called to ask several questions and these were answered professionally by the sales person. I paid 10% of the estimate when I accepted the job and then the final payment after the job was over. They also scheduled me quickly as this was the last week the plant would be open before closing for the season. The crew who did the work were very professional. It was a little damp when the crew arrived to prepare and clean the driveway, cracks and edges. They finished the prep work and then told us they would come back when the drive had completely dried. Later that day when the drive was dry they came back and completed the job. Everything was neat and clean with only a minimium of black sealer on the white trim around the garage door. Probably less than if I had coated the drive myself.

Description of Work
filled cracks and seal coated asphalt driveway

10/06/2013

Vickie S.

It took awhile from proposal to the actual work being done. After they started it went very well until they hit the underground cable which was marked BUT comcast had to close to the surface (NOT buried deep enough). But the actual removal and installation went fine. (even though we had asphalt in the yard which we had to remove) The men on the job did what they were suppose to do, BUT we have two low spots in the driveway where water pools and is going to be a problem. Talked to a woman named Deb at the office and tried to explain this to her, PLUS I had to ask for my $75 discount (which she acted like it was going to come out of her pocket). I will not call the office again about this, because I don't like being treated in a hostile manner, so I wrote on note on my bill (-$75.00) and sent it to them and have NOT HEARD FROM THEM. Which is not a big surprise considering how she acted. I will NOT recommend them. There was a coupon on Angie's list also for the $75 which the contractor told us we could use.

Description of Work
Removal of old concrete and new asphalt put in driveway

Category concrete repair, driveway pavers

09/20/2013

Elizabeth A C.

The estimator was fantastic! He saved us money. We were prepared to resell both drives. He said we just needed cracks filled. The guys cleaned out the cracks before filling and inspected carefully. We will certainly be repeat customers!

Description of Work
Sealing of cracks in asphalt driveways

08/23/2013

mike M.

First the disastrous contract that states: and quot;Customer agrees to pay all cost of collection and all attorney fees incurred by A-1and quot; regardless if they even do the work or do the work incorrectly. When they started, they found out that there quote was fraudulent since it was a scam that parts of the driveway needed to be removed since they found concrete driveway under the layer of existing asphalt and could not go any further. As they found that out, they dug up my electrical line to my light post and wanted to have there handy man come out and replace the line without conduit. We objected and they told us that we had to find an emergency electrician to do the job which we found after three hours of looking When the job was finished, the slope of the asphalt had all the water going into my house and not down my driveway and it took them 5 trips to finally get it to be acceptable. I wanted a credit to my bill for the charge of the asphalt removal and they would only agree to taking off approximately 25%. I did not want a discount for all the hassles of finding the electrician as well as the 5 trips out to fix the grade. Within 30 days, A-1 had their attorney file an illegal lien on the property since the property is in a trust and it is a criminal violation. Due to the legal clause and their violation of filing a lien, I have spent over $4000 in attorney fees to get the lien removed and not have to pay for their legal fees. Worse yet, Fritz Kruer at 2801 Lake Drive, EGR, told me the same thing happened to him from A-1 in regards to the misrepresentation of work to be done as well as the failure for them to do the contracted work. Absolutely, do not trust these very dishonest people. This did not get resolved until 8/15/2013

Description of Work
We contracted for removal of asphalt and the paving of driveway with asphalt.

08/22/2013

gerald T.

The person that did the estimate responded promptly and provided the estimate quickly. The work was scheduled and completed in short order and looks very good. I'm very pleased with how professionally this company handled every aspect of the job.

Description of Work
paved my driveway with asphalt

Category driveway pavers

Again thankyou for the work, also the review Truely yours in the interest of Quality A-1 Asphalt Inc.

08/12/2013

William B.

Overall, A1 did a very nice job. They found a drainage issue under the driveway and repaired it for a negotiated $100. I did have an issue with rain leaking into the garage. It took a few calls but A1 sent someone out and we agreed on a fix. The fix was successfully completed. I'm a satisfied customer and would use A1 again.

Description of Work
Replaced asphalt driveway....removed existing asphalt, prepared driveway for new asphalt and applied new asphalt.

07/19/2013

Lisa S.

Wow, who would have know how difficult it is to get a concrete contractor to return a phone call? We were given a list of concrete contractors by the city. We began calling them because we needed more than one bid for review. A1 Asphalt was the ONLY company to actually answer the phone, promptly return the call, promptly arrive to review the work, and actually submit a bid. All calls were returned quickly and even during the very busy summer were willing to do repeat visits until we had made a decision. I learned later than many companies will blow a call off if they think it isn't and quot;big enough.and quot; Apparently when I left various messages with ten or so other companies they must have thought our church just had a few cracks, not a big job, so didn't bother to at call back and say they weren't interested. Kent Companies actually showed up, but never called back or submitted a bid, just utterly blew us off. I am delighted with the service from A1 Asphalt.

Description of Work
remove and replace numerous sidewalk slabs, remove some slabs and create new planting curb at our downtown church

Category concrete repair, driveway pavers

07/15/2013

Wil R.

Came out and looked over driveway, measured and then gave estimate. Came back on appropriated time and did the job. Called after to see what I thought!

Description of Work
Asphalt coating of driveway.

06/11/2013

Barbara B.

After getting the estimate, we realized this was a project we could not afford at this time.

Description of Work
He came out, measured, and then sent us an estimate.

02/04/2013

Charles H.

Well done. They were careful of the adjacent landscaping, provided a professional appearance, and cleaned up thoroughly. We were pleased with their work.

Description of Work
Home driveway regrading and paving.

06/25/2012

David S.

They exceeded our expectations! I have no complaints at all.

Description of Work
They replaced our asphalt driveway.

05/29/2012

Cynthia S.

When we got there, they did the work quickly. I would recommend them to anyone. I would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
They put Steelcoat on my driveway and repaired cracks.

05/16/2012

Diane T.

They did a good job. The price, quality, and professionalism is great. I will use them again in the future.

Description of Work
I used them for my driveway.

03/20/2012

Kyle B.

Representative was on time for appointment for an estimate. Did a good job explaining the process that would happen. Bid came in higher than other bids, the representative seemed to be fighting with us to get the project when we decided to go elsewhere...

Description of Work
Paving a residential driveway

03/04/2012

Catherine S.

The first crew arrived in the morning to clean and trim, followed by the crack filling and coating teams. The finished job looked very nice. The crack filling has stood up well for over a year, but some of the coating started peeling up the spring after. It was the first time the driveway had been sealed, so we will try again to see if it lasts longer.

Description of Work
Our driveway (~425 ft) was cleaned, including trimming along the edge, the cracks were filled, and the whole surface coated.