Remodeling Specialties/Fred Sons

Founded 2005 • With Angi since September 2007

906 E 2nd St

Royal Oak, MI 48067

Remodeling Specialties/Fred Sons is a family owned and operated local business with over 14 years of industry experience. I opened Remodeling Specialties because I saw a need for an honest, fair, and detailed remodeling company in our Michigan community. I am a very creative worker with a passion to make houses beautiful, functional and personal. I started working on older houses, but my passion has turned into re-creating any style of house to bring it new life. I have an art background that will add a unique and fresh perspective to your personal remodeling visions. I am personally involved with each and every customer from start to finish. We are an excellent remodeling company for Angie’s List members because of our attention to detail and our honest work ethic. I would love the opportunity to partner with you for all of your home remodeling projects. If you are contacting me via email, please include your phone number....

12/24/2019

Tom M.

If you are a perfectionist and want a high quality kitchen remodel done this is the company you want. They were very patient with us and it turned out amazing. Our original budget was exceeded and we paid a lot for the work but the changes were understood in advance and well worth it. The crew was A+ and the owner/contractor did the design work which made the best use of our small space. All our expectations were exceeded.

Description of Work
Full kitchen remodel except floors and appliances

04/22/2019

sander C.

Fred and his team did an excellent job replacing many floorboards in my home that were damaged by the previous owner's cats. In order to refinish the floors, they needed to do an enormous amount of prep - disassembling two walk-in closets, and removing stair railings and many doors. The dining room had a mahogany inlay that Fred's crew needed to match up. I can barely tell where the new boards meet the old. I also asked Fred to select new, upgraded baseboards for the dining area while I was out of town. He chose exactly what I would have and did an impeccable install. The clean-up on this job was a lot. The crew did their best - windows, door frames, washing tile over and over.... Be forewarned - floors are a messy business and I'm still dusting! Do this work before moving into a home so you never have to do it again! Fred's team is always pleasant, tidy, and professional. I enjoy working with them and especially appreciate the creative thinking of Fred. I've had several jobs done, large and small, by this crew, and have never been disappointed. While their price is higher than some, the work reflects that. In my experience, you get what you pay for and, especially in construction, you will end up paying for the cheaper work in the end.

Description of Work
Wood floor refinishing, repair, including baseboard trim work.

Category contractors,handyman service,hardwood floor,remodeling,woodworking,doors,basement remodeling

03/12/2019

Thomas M.

The work went very smoothly. They have a small team so the same people are there everyday to do the work. They only sub-out plumbing and electrical work. It was nice to be able to talk to the same people throughout the project. Also Fred was very good about design selection. He accompanied me to tile and cabinet distributors and worked clsely in the selection of hardware. RS was probably not the cheapest option but they did great work so were a great value.

Description of Work
RS was hired to rebuild a bedroom and bathroom in the basement that had been demoed due to mold. In addition they added a second half bath.

TERI S.

Fred and Brett were awesome!! My bathroom is exactly what I have always wanted. The tile work in my shower is amazing, you can really see the attention to detail. Would definitely recommend them for any remodel job!!!

Description of Work
total bathroom

Category ceramic tile,flooring contractor,plumbing,remodeling,home remodeling,interior painters

Michael K.

SUMMARY OF WORK FOR BUNGALOW IN ROYAL OAK, MI 2nd Floor (June - July 2018): Removed furniture to garage, then removed floor, ceiling, all walls, stairs, and all electrical, and hauled away all debris. Then installed closed-cell insulation under roof deck, rebuilt ceiling, walls, stairs, electrical, built and installed L-shaped wood railing, installed hardwood flooring and moulding, painted all walls and ceiling, clear-coated new stairs and stair rails, and returned furniture. Total cost: $37,200. 1st Floor (Sept. - Nov. 2018): Removed furniture to garage, then removed floors in living room, hall, and two bedrooms, and hauled away all debris. Then finished and installed new door in kitchen, installed hardwood flooring and moulding, patched and painted all walls and ceilings, and returned furniture. Total cost: $23,300. SUMMARY OF SATISFACTION All work was high quality and completed according to contracted schedule. When unexpected but needed work was identified, Fred was easy to work with to make additions to the contract and quote additional costs. When we pointed out something we didn't like, it was corrected quickly at no additional cost. Fred's two support workers were very capable, talented, professional, personable, and a pleasure to work with. Each day they arrived promptly at 9:00 am, completed work by 5:00 pm, and cleaned up before leaving. Cost was relatively high, but we are very satisfied with the results.

Description of Work
Remodel 2nd floor, replace flooring on 1st floor, patch/paint all of 1st floor

Category contractors,drywall,electrician,hardwood floor,insulation,lighting,remodeling,woodworking,interior painters,doors

Gina K.

Fred and his awesome crew did a great job on our bathroom. It was a big job, but from demo to finale their professionalism and meticulous attention to detail never wavered. They brought a wealth of experience to our project that included design ideas, advice, suggestions and workmanship that we highly recommend. We love our new, beautifully updated master bathroom!

Description of Work
Bathroom Remodel

Category ceramic tile,countertops,drywall,electrician,flooring contractor,lighting,plumbing,remodeling,replacement windows,woodworking,marble & granite,home remodeling,interior painters,doors

08/07/2018

LB M.

Called Fred Sons (got Fred on the phone) and scheduled a visit for an estimate. I took the day off of work ($$$) and Bret Provins showed up for the estimate (colleague? his card said "Production Manager"). The entire conversation I had with Bret went in one ear and out the other. Promised to email estimate in 2-3 days. 5 days later, still no estimate, so I called. Brett said it would be there that night. No estimate. On the 6th day, texted Fred directly - Brett had taken down the wrong email address, even though I'd texted it *twice*. By the 6th day (it was a Saturday at this point) I get the estimate, which is a fantasy novel written by someone who wasn't mentally present at the visit (the one I took a day off of work for). Charges for things I *explicitly said* we didn't want done, things that never came up in conversation at all, and charges for things Brett said wouldn't need to be done. Frustrated, I called Fred (no more Brett for us) and he said "I don't work on Saturdays, so I can't talk to you" (no apology for the weird and complete time-wasting estimate, no apologies for the late estimate). He never called on Monday. I think our project ($5,000-7,000) must have been too small for his to care and/or things are hopping for contractors right now and they don't have to offer good customer service. Went with another contractor.

Description of Work
Modest Bathroom Remodel

Category drywall,flooring contractor,plumbing,remodeling,home remodeling,interior painters

Anytime someone is upset from contact with my company, I am upset [Member Information Removed] I am sorry this person had problems. I remember to the contrary Brett was excited about this project because it is really close by to his house. [Member Information Removed] in terms of "in one ear [Member Information Removed] out the other", my understanding is that to do some of the things she wanted to do, we would have to do some things that she did not want to spend money on. As an example we can't tile over a floor that is weak [Member Information Removed] cracking. We have to fix what is under it first. The estimate was sent out the very next day after the meeting. However I got the email address wrong leaving out the underscore in the address. But she did get the estimate, I believe within a week of the meeting. I included the things that would need to be done to achieve her goal. I do work Saturdays [Member Information Removed] Sundays usually doing estimates. I rarely do sales meetings on weekends. Again, sorry for the rough go.

02/10/2018

Elizabeth B.

Quality work, professional team working for him. Very pleased with the job.

Description of Work
Laundry room

Category remodeling

12/06/2017

Peter T.

We had this company re-do work done by a different company. Fred and team were able to diagnose the problem, and propose a solution that fixed the issue. Fred and team executed that plan perfectly and we were very pleased with the quality of their work as well as the professionalism of the crew.

Description of Work
Remodeling of a bathroom

11/10/2017

Larry M.

Fred and his crew were excellent. Very responsive, thorough, and honest. Work was very well done, including daily cleanups. Always on time, never canceled appointments, and very accessible by phone and text. Highly recommended!

Description of Work
Remodeling/HVAC/electrical in kitchen area.

Category contractors,drywall,remodeling

MJM Restoration LLC

MJM Restoration bring together in our team a combined 50 year tradition of applied, proven property restoration services that have resulted in multiple successfully completed projects. The MJM team is highly experienced in the technical displines necessary for performing the complicated tasks required to provide property restoration services. Our professional staff includes estimators, projects managers, skilled construction tradesmen and certified technicians. MJM completes projects in a most responsive and cost effective manner by paying attention to schedules, goals and budgets. Communication between MJM and it's clients is our #1 prioity. We emphasize on the need to asist our clients in understanding every aspect of their projects by explaining the technical procedures and scope of work task.

Offers by MJM Restoration LLC on Angi
    Kitchen Physician

Specializing in CABINET REFACING We’ve always guarantee the job is done right. We take pride in ourselves and on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! , call --or-- click to schedule a free estimate today! OVER 40 YEARS EXPERIENCE

General Remodeling
    Check, Financing Available

Remodeling Specialties offers residential remodeling services focused on kitchens, bathrooms and room additions. Installing/ finishing hard wood floors is a growing area of expertise as well as all kinds of decks. We have a passion for quality, design, creativity, and attention to detail. We believe in fairness, and doing things the right way.

Handyman services, appliance repair, roofing, heating and air conditioning, electrical and plumbing work. We have subcontractors that do this work.