Cappy Heating & Air Conditioning Inc

Founded 1978 • With Angi since February 2012

4.3

12551 Globe St

Livonia, MI 48150

Cappy Heating is a industry leader in heating,cooling and air purifying technologies. We started Cappy with one goal in mind-providing are families with comfort solutions that fit not only their lifestyle but also there pocketbook. In addition our friendly, professional and award winning staff is

10/21/2018

Michael L.

Long story short, I paid $273 for them to replace the filter, and try to leave....while the furnace was still not working correctly. Was then told it'd be another $700+ to get it fixed (AFTER I paid $273 for a filter). Read below if you want the entire story Received a call from the woman renting our condo that the furnace was suddenly blowing cold air and the temperature was quickly dropping (low 40's today). After calling a few places, Cappy called back and advised they could come out and take a look. The service fee was $145 to come out, then $95 an hour, plus parts etc.... The service tech came out and quickly decided the unit was overheating because of a dirty air filter, which was tripping a limit switch and shutting everything off. He advised that the unit was rated to increase the air temp by up to 65 degrees....measured incoming air at 71, and outgoing air at 134 (without the filter in). Then put the "dirty" filter back in, and it went up to 135, so a total of 64 degrees which was within the 65 it was rated for. He continued to insist this was the problem, despite it still falling within the 65 degree spec. He then checked for the carbon dioxide levels (00), and briefly checked the thermostat (also suggested we replace the batteries for some reason, which the tenant had already done). He replaced the air filter, and advised me to replace the limit sensor on my own the next day (I would have been OK with this part of it, if I was at all convinced that was the problem). I then paid him $273 cash, and he got in his van to leave (apparently satisfied that the furnace was intermittently working). Before he pulled away, the tenant advised me that even though the furnace was set 5 degrees above the current temp, it was again blowing cold air. The tech returned inside, and advised that the furnace wouldn't be working right now because we had "messed" with the thermostat (I'm guessing he meant when he took the cover off and pulled on the wires?). Ready to leave yet again...I had to repeatedly ask why the furnace would be blowing cold air when the thermostat was still 5 degrees above the actual temperature. He then returned to the furnace, checked the "bad" limit switch, and found it to be in good working order. He then checked the pressure switch, told me it was bad, and "that's the problem". After checking it again, he changed his mind and said the pressure switch was OK. He then checked the igniter and flame sensor, and stated it was bad, adding that "this is the problem 90% of the time" (but we're just now checking it for the first time??). He specifically stated the clip was bad, but that when he pressed it with his multi-meter, he felt the wires snap back into place, so it was now fixed. We let the furnace run for a minute, turning it off and on, and once again....it's not working. He then replaced the igniter / flame sensor with a new one, mainly just to replace the clip on the wiring....and.....still not working. He next concluded that the smart valve was bad where the igniter / flame sensor wire harness clips into it. As he moved the clip back and forth you could hear it clicking on and off....so finally, something we could agree on. At this point I have paid $273 cash to a service tech that was in his van and about to pull away for a finished (not at all finished) job. After he called his boss, I'm told the smart valve is a $509 part. I will also have to pay the hourly rate to go pick up the part and naturally install it as well. It's Sunday, rates are up, I get it. After explaining my displeasure with paying $273 for an air filter install, I'm told I'll only be charged half an hour ($47.50) to pick up the part, rather than a full hour. I explain to the boss (Jennifer) on the phone that I think the amount they're asking for is too much, and she then agrees, stating maybe I shouldn't spend that much on an old furnace, and should just buy a new one from them. She also promises to take off the $273 I've already spent and put it toward the new furnace. That's a good sales strategy....rack up as much money as you can, and once the customer says it's too much, agree with them and push for an entirely new furnace. I have since found the $554.50 part ($509+$45.50 pick up charge) on RepairClinic.com (RepairClinic Item # 2759947) for $350.82 (Repair Clinic is located in Canton). In the end, I have spent $273 for a $19 filter, and nearly spent an additional $744.50 for the install of a $350.82 smart valve (assuming 2 hours for the install, as the air filter was 1 hour). I understand needing to make money, I understand the added cost of it being a Sunday, but this company was absolutely ridiculous, right from trying to leave after making a quick $273 and not fixing a single thing, to then pushing for a new furnace. Please do yourself a favor and do not contact this company for service. If you want someone to sit in front of your furnace for $95 an hour and randomly guess at what is wrong, call me instead. **On a side note, the service tech was very friendly and personable. I'm not sure what went wrong here...whether he genuinely couldn't figure out the problem, or if he was being pressured so much by his boss to get to the next job that he felt like he was rushed and had to take short cuts. (I think this may be the case because when he called his boss to check for the cost of the part, I heard her telling him that he'd have to stop and take care of another job on the way to pick up my part, and to tell me he'd be back sometime later tonight). Why would a boss not even let the guy finish the one job he's on before throwing another one into the mix? And why would you have him stop somewhere else for another job, when I'm being charged for drive time to pick up the part?? Either way, this was a disaster.

Description of Work
Furnace repair on a 43 degree Sunday

11/14/2017

Randal S.

The service person was nothing short of excellent and didn't try to play any "games" as some do (notably Kootz). Although the price for the one-time service was a tad higher than their competitors I think it was money well spent. To be honest, I was at first reluctant to call them because of their association with Home Depot which casts a negative image. However, I felt the service person knew his stuff and was completely above board, and that is something quite hard to find these days.

Description of Work
I had routine furnace preventative maintenance performed.

07/12/2017

Susan Y.

Cappy is my go-to for my AC and heating needs for the past 5+ years. I trust them with my units. Can't beat the quality of work compared to the many I tried before found them.

Description of Work
Had routine AC maintenance done for condo and house

07/19/2015

Elizabeth G.

My HVAC system has stopped working 3 times in 5 months! When I call the office I explain the problem then wait until someone else returns my call who then tries to get me take covers off the unit and trouble shoot the issue for them! When that doesn't work I then still have to wait 2-3 days for a technician to come out and they supposedly fix the problem. The first time a fuse blew when the heating was turned on. It was freezing cold. The tech came out 2 days later replaced the fuse, and said we must have been hit by lightening (really?). Middle of June when we turned the A/C on the fuse blew again (there was no lightening). When this tech arrived 3 days later he said the fuse kept blowing because it was improperly grounded. He replaced the fuse and supposedly fixed the grounding problem. This weekend has been the hottest of the year with high humidity and the A/C only blows warm air. With the A/C on for 24 hours straight the inside temp is 83 degrees! Cappy's will call us on Monday to schedule a service call. Unfortunately I didn't have a choice on using this contractor. I will definitely never use this business once my warranty has expired.

Description of Work
This business installed the HVAC system in my new construction condo. I had no say in the HVAC company used.

LESLIE B.

Description of Work
Furnace & A/C inspection + A/C start-up on a foreclosure home I bought. Added freon. | |Friendly, knowledgeable.

dale B.

Description of Work
Installed geothermal system. Everything looks and works good. Initial price is high, but with the 30% tax rebate the system is just a few thousand more than a 90+ furnace, air and water heater would cost. I should save that in the first 3 years

Elizabeth F.

Description of Work
From the quoting service to the actual installation, it was first rate customer service. I purchased an air conditioner and furnace for my home.

01/09/2014

Joanne L.

Jennifer was such a sweetheart and walked us through relighting our furnace. She didn't charge us a cent.

Description of Work
Walked us through relighting our furnace.

12/02/2013

Richard B.

They were prompt, courteous and friendly. And they cleaned up when they were done

Description of Work
Installed a new furnace and air conditioning unit.

08/12/2013

Teresa G.

I call initially in June and they came out. But the service man that came out was unable to access the drains located underneath the manufactured homes. He left and said someone else that could fit under the house would be scheduled to come out. I heard nothing from them and no one came back. After about 5 days I called back and I was told that original serviceman had not come in with tickets yet for office review and they would be seeing them that afternoon and would call me back. I never heard back from them. AC was still leaking all over the floor. I had to keep towels on floor to absorb water leaking from the unit. If they really did not, or do not, want to work on AC units in manufactured homes, I wish they had just been honest with me up front about it. Manufactured homes are a bit different in their maintenance needs. I know that. Just be honest with me. It was the not calling back or coming back that ticked me off the most. I ended up calling another heating/cooling company to fix the problem.

Description of Work
Check out leaking central air unit. Had water all over floor - was not draining

01/06/2013

Ronald C.

I was looking for estimates on replacing a 35 year old furnace. I wanted a 95% efficient Trane replacement. Home Depot sells Trane and Cappy is Home Depot's contracted installer. I left my name and number and was called by Cappy within a few days to set up an appointment for a free in-home estimate. The representative was on time, to the minute. We discussed what I was looking for and he inspected and evaluated my needs. Cappy provided an excellent price and did not try to sell me anything that I did not need or want. He even offered to throw in a service (refrigerant recovery for an old chest freezer and free disposal of the freezer) that I had not initially sought. Unfortunately for Cappy, another company provided a nearly identical price, but with an added humidifier. I opted for the second company. I would definitely seek out Cappy for any future work. I was very impressed with the company and their honesty. Their prices were excellent and they were very professionally represented.

Description of Work
Estimate for a furnace replacement.

10/30/2012

Leland R.

I have used them about 3 times in the past for emergency furnace repairs in a new condo ( for me). Each time they have been prompt, quickly solved the problem and fairly charged for the visit. This visit was scheduled for me and my two neighbors to install a cleanout trap that should have been installed when the condos were built 12 years ago. A recurrent problem is that the drain tubing becomes clogged and overflows causing water damage into the units below. He showed up with the parts and finished the job in about half the time estimated and at half the cost at what seemed a very fair price.

Description of Work
Install a cleanout trap for the humidifier and airconditioner.

06/13/2012

Robert M.

Jim came out and gave us an estimate. They were not high-pressuring and didn't try to sell us more than we need. He was real practical and down to earth.

Description of Work
They gave us an estimate for a new unit.

04/16/2012

samantha I.

needed a new AC called and received about seven estimates after doing my research with the different brands and companies using Consumer Reports, Angie's List, searching the web for ratings which took about two/three weeks; ended up with Home Depot who use Cappy Heating and Cooling for the same unit a different company was about $1,000 more. Most companies tried to sell the highest efficiency. In Michigan the AC is on for two/three months. Did the math. paying for higher efficiency would not save money, it would take years to get the savings back. Paying $1,500-3,500 more which would save about $150-200 a year did not make sense because the AC is not on all year. But I could be wrong!!! so far so good, haven't had to use it / turn on yet

Description of Work
got a new AC

01/03/2011

elizabeth V.

Cappy was able to send out a salesman to provide me a quote to replace my furnace with short notice. The quote seems a bit high, but after doing more research I may still consider going forward with them.

Description of Work
Jim from Cappy Heating & Air Conditioning Inc gave me a free i-nhome estimate for a new furnace. He seemed knowledgeable and presented me with three options to replace my outdated furnace. Overall I would say I was satisfied with the estimate, but he seemed to rush through the paper work he left with me. The quotes seemed a bit expensive so I will continue to shop around.

08/04/2006

They are very good and not too expensive. They have excellent service. They had to come out two times after the installation to make adjustments. They came promptly and didn't complain about my requests. They worked with me until everything was just as I wanted it. They were the most reasonable for what I got. My unit is top of the line.

Description of Work
They installed a heating and a/c unit for me.

Hydro Clean of Michigan

Hydro Clean of Michigan provides Air Duct Cleaning using a truck mounted negative air pressure 16,000 CFM system. Our attention to detail and satisfaction guarantee will improve your air quality and maximize your hvac efficiency. We can prove this by showing you the difference in your ducts with before and after camera scope inspections. For the most recent reviews please visit our Google overview page. Call us anytime at 248-497-6464 or visit Hydrocleanofmichigan.com .

2022 Super Service Award

Offers Coupon

AMISTEE AIR DUCT CLEANING & INSULATION

Amistee Air Duct Cleaning & Insulation serves thousands of residential and commercial customers in Southeast and Central Michigan. In 2022 Amistee expanded its indoor air quality, home efficiency, and comfort efforts to the Mid-Michigan area by purchasing Dust Busters Air Duct Cleaning in Burton, MI. Our Mid-Michigan office is located at 2017 E Boatfield Ave., Burton, MI, 48529. Mike McCowan and Steve Dickinson are committed to helping the millions of homeowners and business facilities fight the constant problem of Indoor Air Quality (IAQ). From the beginning, Amistee has done one thing and one thing only, which provides premium and professional service to each and every one of our customers. Amistee constantly strives to be the absolute best and have the most qualified technicians in the industry. See for yourself and call us today at (877) 349-8877 or visit us online at www.amistee.com!

2022 Super Service Award

Offers Coupon

A-1 FURNACE & DUCT CLEANING LLC

37 years experience, thousands of satisfied customers. Specializing in Air Duct Cleaning and Dryer Vent Cleaning. We are committed to 100% customer satisfaction. Free phone estimates.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Financing Available

Residential and commercial installation and repair of heating, air conditioning, cooling equipment, air purification, humidifier, air & duct cleaning.