Dan Murphy Building & Design LLC

Founded 2000 • With Angi since October 2008

2870 Weatherly Rd

Howell, MI 48843

4 employees. Uses sub-contractors for plumbing, hvac & electrical work. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. No service charges. May contact through email. Also services Livingston County....

08/07/2015

Cathy E.

Description of Work
house trim work

08/07/2015

theodore B.

Description of Work
Mr. Murphy was very professional & personable over the phone. I contacted this provider about having a basement closet completely rebuilt from studs to drywall. Unfortunately he was unable to get to this job within the timeframe we have to complete the job. Because he asked the right questions he was able to understand the job at hand enough to give me some solid advice because I now have to tackle the job myself without the benefit of having experience with this size of a project. He not only gave me some detailed suggestions on how to go about this particular project but also told me to feel free to call him on his cell phone if I ran into any problems. This is a man who I would feel very confident in hiring and, in fact, expect to within the next couple of years on less urgent projects.

Category drywall, remodeling

07/06/2015

James B.

Went very well and provider was very responsive. Overall great experience.

Description of Work
Removed deck and replaced rotted wood on house

11/07/2014

Bruce F.

Dan is much in demand and we had to wait for him to fit us in. Once started the work progressed smoothly. He always explained the steps of the process. Quality of work was exceptional. They showed up when they said they would and they always kept the work site clean.

Description of Work
Reconstruction from ice damage. Drywall, trim carpentry, painting, tile floor replacement

Category contractors, ceramic tile, drywall, remodeling, woodworking

09/17/2014

Bruce C.

Description of Work
Have not had the work done at this time but he will be doing it(That is 3 bathroom remodels and linen closet) and possible more remodeling,

Category remodeling, home remodeling

07/29/2014

Barbara R.

The doors and window took a bit of time to come in, but after they arrived from the manufacturer the work went well. Dan and his worker were here when they said they would be and on time if not a little early. They were professional and cared about the work they did - wanted it right and did not cut corners - in fact they fixed where the builder had cut corners. Dan went out of his way to make sure we were happy with the job and said to call if we found anything that wasn't right and he would be back out to fix it. We are very happy with the way our lower level looks. We would hire Dan again and highly recommend him !

Description of Work
Removed 3 sets of french doors. Installed a specialty window in place of one french door and dry walled in the rest. Installed 2 doors in place of other 2 sets of french doors & dry walled the remainder. (Dry wall & mud) Replaced/installed siding where work was done - and moved some of it around so matched better. Installed 4 storm doors. replaced molding. (the three sets of french doors were leaky and awful! This is so nice now!)

Category drywall, remodeling, siding, replacement windows, doors

06/18/2014

Paige R.

Description of Work
Dan Murphy B&D helped us convert a pole barn extension to our garage into a woodworking shop, complete with a concrete foundation. The contract work was subcontracted to Apex Concrete. We liked the subcontractor he hired for the concrete work, and will probably use them again for other jobs. All the carpentry work was done by Dan and his staff. | |We solicited quotes from several vendors, asking for a written quote based on the work we wanted done. We weren't sure if we could afford to do it all at once, so we asked for the quote to be broken into the cost for each milestone, i.e. concrete foundation, framing the walls, and insulating. Dan was the only person who actually gave us the quote we wanted. (Some didn't even bother with a written quote, they just gave a verbal hand wave, and wanted us to commit before doing more.) Dan was pleasant, polite, professional, and flexible. He took the time to give us the written quote exactly as we had requested, even itemizing it for us so we could get an idea of the cost for various construction options. | |It took a while for the construction to get started, but that was a case of waiting in a queue behind projects that were already underway. Once the work started, it went smoothly and quickly. There were times when Dan got hung up at another work site when we were expecting to meet with him (he was stuck waiting for an inspector to come examine the other project). In those instances, he did his best to communicate and reschedule. | |We had some mid-way design changes that probably drove him nuts, but Dan was very professional and accommodating to changes without displaying any frustration. The carpenters did their work quickly and efficiently, and were also flexible when it came to the design changes. | |In addition to the good quality work Dan and his staff performed, Dan went the extra mile to help us find very good prices on windows and doors he installed in the shop. He was looking out for our best interest, knowing we were on a limited budget. Because our project was relatively small (2 doors and 3 windows), he was able to work with his suppliers to find us discontinued items that were for sale at very fair prices. | |In conclusion, we were very happy with the work performed by Dan Murphy Building and Design provided, and we are satisfied with the end product. We will most likely be using his services again, and we definitely recommend him to anyone looking for a good construction company.

05/05/2014

Mark K.

Not good. Dan came out on April 16th to look at the work I needed done. He said he would have a quote to me by 4/25. I asked if possible to have by 4/23. He said he would try. Well, 4/25 came, so I called. He committed to providing that weekend. On 5/1, I still did not have a quote. Left him a message, he called back and left a message for me stating he would have the coming weekend. Still nothing. Called him today (5/5), and he started the "so busy" excuse. I had told him over a week ago, if he was too busy or the job was too small, to just be straight with me....no worries. Now, almost three weeks later, I am back to finding/calling/making an appointment with someone to quote my work needed. Ugh!

Description of Work
There was no work performed as after 2 1/2 weeks of chasing him for a quote, I still didn't receive one.

01/13/2014

Michael S.

N/a

Description of Work
Had this company over to give me a quote on finishing our basement in early November. He said he would get an estimate to me in 2-3 weeks... Still waiting. He seemed to have lots of good ideas, but I guess they are too busy for the project. Waited long enough so I have decided to proceed with another builder.

09/16/2013

Randall M.

Everything went as planned. We did have to wait on the manufacturer a bit as we had custom sized windows ordered and everything they make is to order. What a great improvement to our house.

Description of Work
Replaced three aluminum clad windows with Oxbow wood casement windows. On the fourth window, we had the opening enlarged and put in a french door onto the deck.

Category remodeling, replacement windows

07/06/2013

Marilyn A.

Works great now

Description of Work
Repaired pocket door

Category remodeling, doors

06/25/2013

Steve S.

Dan and his Team were very punctual, always came when they said they would come. Did a great job, cleaned up after themselves. They worked around my schedule. I only have good things to say about dan and his team Will definately use him again!!!

Description of Work
Drywalled and taped 2 bedrooms

Category drywall, remodeling

06/10/2013

Kristine R.

Very easy to work with. Considering using him for kitchen remodel as well.

Description of Work
Replaced sliding door and moldings, fixed door tracks

Category remodeling, home remodeling, doors

05/06/2013

Deborah A.

Very well, he was very diligent in making sure it was done correctly.

Description of Work
Dan came and saw the pocket door that was in need of work. He was very informative about what happened and what needed to be done. He completed the work in a very timely manner. I was so glad to have been able to afford such a professional! I have recommended him to others needing work done.

04/29/2013

Morton M C.

Not much to tell. Bought an Angie's List special, contacted the vendor (actually he proactively contacted us), set up a date in the near future. He met my wife at the location, fixed the door in a quality and expeditious manner. All in all, a very pleasant experience. I plan to engage again to install a custom door in my primary residence (this work was at my son's home) in the not too distant future.

Description of Work
Repaired a pocket door that had a broken track

Category doors

04/20/2013

Dave M.

helped us make the right choices

Description of Work
Dan did a complete remod on our basement from adding a full bath room with sauna to changing our walkout doorwall for a better flow. He arrived on time and completed the project all with no disruption to us or the three cats. He brought with him many great ideas and helped us make the right choices.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, remodeling, basement remodeling

04/01/2013

David B.

very well

Description of Work
fixed a pocket door

03/25/2013

Albert C.

Extremely professional. Scheduled convenient time as soon as he was able. Cleaned up beautifully .Will use again and have referred Mr. Murphy to my daughter for her home improvement work.

Description of Work
Repaired pocket door that was not closing due to loose track.

03/25/2013

Kim C.

Our experience with Dan has been professional, easy and timely. Dan always comes out to your home on time and in a good mood! He is very hands on. He was there 90% of the time doing the work himself while overseeing his two main guys. He was also always there if their was someone new coming like a plumber or electrician. We just bought a house on the lake that was built in the 50's. We have a giant list of all the things we would like done and Dan is going to do them all. We have a basement that was not finished and I had no idea what could be done to fix it up except that I wanted a pole removed from the center. I had 5 different quotes 2 of which said it was not possible to remove the pole and the others were more expensive.When Dan came to give an estimate he had with some great ideas on raising some the duct work, making the block windows more visible and possibly even adding a small bath if we wanted. He did it all! It looks great and everything was done in a timely, clean and professional manner. We also added a closet and vanity area in our bedroom. We are in the process of completing the Vanity area and closets. They are coming along nicely the sink area is in and the custom shelving and drawers he built are perfect. I am super excited about using Dan to get our kitchen done. I highly recommend him to do any of your remodeling especially if you need any custom work done.

Description of Work
He finished our entire basement from removing some fake stone wall, drywall, painting and more extensively removing a pole from the center adding a support beam and adding a small bathroom. We also had an additional closet added to our master bedroom and a vanity area that included a sink and custom drawers and shelving that were able to be built right into the wall doors are flush. Dan also made us a custom pull out shoe rack that holds 30 pairs! We are also going to use him to redo our entire kitchen. His quote was also less than others and he again had some unique but not real costly ideas.

08/24/2012

Jill B.

Mr. Murphy promptly called us back after our initial call. Provided a timely free estimate of work to be done. Once hired, he provided us with critical feedback regarding the plan for the basement remodel. He had a lot of great suggestions and ideas for our new living space. He also was very accomodating to our last minute changes to the plan. He worked very hard to meet our finish deadline- which we appreciated because it was right before the Christmas holidays. He was very easy going, hard working, and particular to his craft. Mr. Murphy had different crews of men who helped him depending on the work to be done. They were very respectful of our home and cleaned up their mess at the end of the day. Mr. Murphy is an excellent craftsman and we are very pleased with his work. Overall Mr. Murphy created a wonderful new living space for our family. We would definately hire him again. Work that Mr Murphy did: Installed studs, electrical, dry wall - wall & ceiling, custom molding with rope lighting, closet under stairs for audio/video equipment, 2nd custom closet in seperate part of basement, installed pet door that involved cutting through outside brick wall.

Description of Work
Complete Basement remodel including stud, drywall (walls & ceiling) molding. Also installed pet door and constructed custom closet in unfinished part of basement.

Category remodeling, basement remodeling

10/17/2011

Shelly S.

It was actually frustrating. We had two water heaters in our house and one of them was leaking. We have only lived in the house for a year. The guy came out and said it was the other one. We had a little flood and we tried to figure it out, but it wouldn't stop leaking. A couple of times before he came out, he sent other people so we were getting different feedback from them. That was the frustrating part. Three different people came out and the first couple of times they tried to bill us when nothing was figured out and it was still leaking. We didn't actually pay anything until Dan came out and we just had to buy a new water heater. The price was probably average. I don't really know because we didn't really compare it with other water heater people. We were frustrated. We just wanted the leak stopped. The quality was below average. We had to go through three different people and other appointments. If it had been accurate the first time, I would have been happier. They were pretty responsive. They came right out each time. They were on top of it. I don't remember if they were punctual. I would use them again in the future, but I would ask to go straight to Dan. He had more experience than the other people.

Description of Work
We bought a water heater from Dan Murphy Building & Design about two months ago.

Category water heater repair

09/16/2011

Nizar M.

They were very professional and followed through on the quote. I would have used them, but the price was a little more than I had wanted.

Description of Work
I was looking to have my bathroom remodeled.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

04/18/2011

Sharon G.

I asked him to come back, but he never called me back. I think he is very competent. His price was very much in line with the other quotes that I got. He came very highly recommended.

Description of Work
Dan Murphy Building & Design LLC gave me an estimate about a month ago for some repair work in my ceiling.

02/17/2011

Linda W.

Way outside time parameters.

Description of Work
remodel

Category remodeling, woodworking

10/30/2008

Abbey S.

Dan and his crew were outstanding. Very respectful and a pleasure to have working in the house. They were fast and considerate about being as tidy as possible. It was messy work, but they took all precautions to limit the impact on the rest of the house. Dan was right on time for the estimate and the estimate was spot on the final bill. Which was more than a few thousand dollars less than competing bids. Couldn't have been a better overall experience. Dan has a keen design sense and is a rare find--technical skill and creative talent. Will definitely use Dan again and would recommend him without hesitation.

Description of Work
Converted outbuilding/workshop into garage by removing interior floor and workshop built-ins, door, windows. Removed the front wall to hang garage door and rebuilt front wall. Also, in the house removed interior wall, rebuild door frame to include decorative arch--included much drywall work, closing up old doorways, turning closet to face into a different room, repairing ceiling and floor, moving electrical outlets and heat/air ducts.

Category contractors, drywall, electrician, garage doors, heating & air conditioning/hvac, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, doors

Town & Country Door LLC

In business since 1995, we have serviced all makes and models of garage doors and automatic openers within the Metro Detroit area. We have built our strong reputation by providing quality service at prices you can afford. So, go ahead and give us a call. Our experienced service professionals are ready to repair your garage door – right now. We can have your garage door up and running fast and reliably with same day service Monday through Sunday. That’s right; we’re open every day. If we can’t fix it, your service call is free. Our friendly customer service representatives will take careful notes to understand your garage service needs. We then schedule same-day service by one of our skilled garage door repair professionals. We service all makes and models of garage doors and automatic openers with high-quality, brand-name parts, such as LiftMaster, Stanley and Genie garage door openers. Ask about our 3 year part warranty.

Offers by Town & Country Door LLC on Angi
    Dominion Service Company

At Dominion Service Company, we are dedicated to making your home comfortable. Our expert technicians provide installation, maintenance, repair, and replacement services for your home HVAC systems. With extensive experience in the heating and cooling business, Dominion will create a custom HVAC solution that is right for you. Contact Us

Tradesman Joe LLC

Tradesman Joe LLC provides residential heating, cooling and water heating repair, maintenance and installations in the Livingston county and surrounding areas.

Design, build & remodeling services, design plans, room additions, general remodeling.