The Home Examiner LLC

Founded 2002 • With Angi since May 2010

4.4

516 Fountain St NE Apt 1

Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Home inspection, infrared diagnostics, energy tune-up, radon information, pest inspection.

06/22/2015

Patricia J.

01/31/2014

Marie W.

Steve was highly professional but very open to discussing what he was seeing. I've done a lot of work on houses, but he saw lots of things I hadn't noticed in two other visits to the condo. When I asked later for an electronic report he put it up quickly for download. Would definitely recommend him. He's very even-headed and thorough.

Description of Work
Home inspection on condo we are trying to purchase.

06/24/2013

Adam M.

Steve communicated extremely well throughout the process. He was very cordial and is someone I would easily recommend to anyone looking for a home inspector. During the inspection, Steve was extremely thorough. More importantly, as this is the first home I've purchased, Steve was an excellent source of knowledge. He provided little tips and tricks, general old home advice, as well as some vendors that he would recommended for their specialization in our area. He also provided a great preface about the neighborhood, the association, and best practices for any future dealings with the historic preservation board. The inspection report provided post inspection was very detailed, provided excellent use of the pictures taken, and was laid out in a very readable format.

Description of Work
Steve provided an in-depth home inspection representing us as the potential buyers of a Heritage Hill home.

03/11/2013

Caryn W.

Steve was great! This was our first home purchase and Steve was recommended by our realtor and friends. He was not alone on the inspection he also had his son and a person he was training accompany him. He took the time to go through the house and explain to me what he was putting into his report. He also had lots of handy tips if something did need fixed (like the gas valve that should be fixed when we eventually replace the hot water heater). The fact that Steve's entire report is electronic is very nice as well. It gave my husband piece of mind that even though he couldn't be there for the inspection that he could read the report right when he got home from work. Thanks Steve!

Description of Work
Home inspection including radon testing and termite inspection.

07/26/2012

Ruth A.

Steve was at the beginning of the inspection when I arrived and was very nice about me tagging along and asking questions. He went through the entire property in detail and was very helpful in our final decision making process for a home purchase. He set the Radon test and came back a few days later for the results. Was great, as always!

Description of Work
Steve did a home inspection for us, a radon test and a termite inspection. Not only does he always do a great job (5th time we've used Steve - between my husband and I and our kids) but he gives helpful suggestions on different things. He is great to work with and I would highly recommend him.

05/08/2012

Bridget P.

Arrived early to appointment. Seemed to test everything - though missed the fact the AC didn't work. Went over results. Failed to inform me that a Infrared Thermography - Building Diagnostics test may not show the best results due to the outdoor and indoor temps being around the same - on the test I paid extra to have done. Was not accommodating later on when I found out my error of putting the report in my name vs the future mortgage companies. He was also not accommodating answering questions that the future mortgage company had.

Description of Work
Had an inspection done prior to purchasing the house. I had the inspection done in my name, later found out that the inspection needed to be in the future morgage company name (per my lender). Inspector refused to change the name on the documents and charged for a complete new inspection just for a name change - because he needed to 'reinspect the house' - though it was vacant. I find this absolutely appalling. Had a second inspection done, by a different company as required for the mortgage - to find out that the "two" that this company did, didn't find that the AC did not work (which is a major expense). How can an inspection miss that the AC is not working? Also paid extra money to have an Infrared Thermography - Building Diagnostics (as concerned with an older house about energy costs) to only find out AFTER the audit was done that he really couldn't tell anything because the outside and inside temp were about the same thus the findings were fairly inconclusive - I was present at the inspection and he could have mentioned this before doing the tests thus saving me some money. He also broke the cellulose blinds that were on a upper set of windows and pointed out he broke them and just told me that I could simply purchase new clips to fix them (he did not offer to fix them - he was the one who broke them)

Category home inspection, radon testing, energy audit

I'm sorry to hear your disapointment with the services. You Angie's List comment 2 years ago was quite the opposite of this report. I hope that I can clear up some areas of objections. Your lender resuest for an additional report in their name should have been paid by them since they didn't inform you in advance. The small fee I charged for that covered office time and additional liability I take on having additional clients on the contract. I did not actually so back and perform a full inspection As stated in the report the air condition could not be tested due to low outside temperature that can damage a unit if started. It was also reported that th eage of the AC was past its life expectency and could need replacement at any time. The infrared thermography did show a great deal of information, it's a useful tool that show water intrusion, missing insulation, drafts, etc. For clarification, I did NOT break the blinds, the blinds broke when I wnet to operate them. On inspections I test items normally, and sometime an item may break under normal use, as this is the case. I do not repar something that breaks under normal use. The item is either worn, defective or installed improperly. I reviewed the report and noticed that I identified over 25 itmes that needed repair which can be typical of a vacant foreclosed home in decline.

04/14/2012

ernesto R.

I've used them on multiple occasions and their company is really reputable. They are excellent to work with. The experience went well. He was a very honest and professional guy. I usually call him 100% of the time when people ask for a home inspector. Another agent recommended him to me. They are really, really reasonable compared to other companies. It was an all-around good service. I would absolutely use them again.

Description of Work
I used The Home Examiner for a home inspection.

01/20/2012

David R.

Inspector spent @ 4 hours on his own, then took another hour to walk the property with us and explain his findings.

Description of Work
We hired this company for the inspection of the bank owned property that we wanted to purchase. They completed thorough inspection of the course of a half day and provided us with a detailed tour of the property and a full inspection report printed on the spot in color and available online. He cost a bit more than some others, but it was also more thorough than many of the other companies I've used and the ability to access the report after the fact online was helpful as a referral resource as we were scheduling repairs and maintenence.

05/06/2010

Bridget P.

Steve was very professional - addressed all our concerns, went over the complete report page by page. Report easy to read and very detailed.

Description of Work
Complete home inspection, radon test and infrared diagnostics

Rivertown Flooring

Hardwood Floor Refinishing, standard or custom stain colors available. Many types of finishes and sheens available. Also hardwood floor installation, buy material from me or one of the big box stores, custom installation! Removal and disposal of existing layers of flooring if needed or desired. Luxury Vinyl Plank installation, buy it anywhere, custom install, also Sheet Vinyl installation! Also shoe moulding and baseboard moulding if needed or desired.

2022 Super Service Award

616 Restore, Inc.

Cleaning & Restoration. Serving Michigan 40 years.

Offers Coupon

American Flo Blasting

American Flo Blasting is a full service soda, sand, and multi-media blasting co. located in Climax, Mi just outside of Galesburg. This company is a mobil operation that will come to you or you may choose to drop off smaller jobs at our shop. We specialize in mold remediation, fire damage restoration, paint removal from brick buildings as well as antique auto restoring. We will work with your insurance company to insure your satisfaction. Free estimates! Call 269-207-2514, 7 days a week to schedule an appointment. 8:00 am to 6:00 pm

MasterCard, Check, Visa