Home Maintenance Service

Michigan: Contractors
05/31/2023

5555 Greenboro Dr SE

Grand Rapids, MI 49508

Since 1981, HMS has delivered custom home projects with quality craftsmanship. From kitchens to bathrooms, and everything in between, you can trust us to tackle your project big or small. ...

handyman (71)drywall (13)interior painting (12)home remodeling (12)electrician (9)plumbers (7)basement remodeling (6)decks & porches (5)closet design (4)door installation (3)insulation (3)flooring (3)

06/12/2022

Gary K.

He did a really good job. I'm very satisfied.

Description of Work
I had a leaky kitchen sink and a leaky bath tub

Work Completed On 11/01/2021

05/28/2020

tyrea D.

The guy called my home days after I requested service through company. I told him my name, by the way, I used my nickname, which isn't ethnically sounding, and told him exactly what I was looking to get a quote for. He came out that same day and my significant other greeted him and showed him and the gentleman with him what exactly we were looking to get done. He gave him the card and said oh i will get a quote to you. I never heard back from the guy and was going to find someone else. Then I get this email last night and remind you this guy new exactly what needed to be done prior to coming out and if he thought it was too much at time he could have said it than instead he sent this email days later: "After considering all of the factors involved in working on your house I have decided not to give an estimate for me doing the work. 2 factors: 1.I am 74 years old and no longer climb to 2 story heights. 2.The job is more than we can handle at this time. I apologize for any inconvenience. Thanks, Randall Meyer HMS." Entire email. no greeting no nothing. This leads me to believe there were other motives for not wanting to do the work. Anyone of color I recommend either asking for a minority contractor or making sure the contractor who is assigned to you doesn't have any issue with working with people of color. I can't say for sure that was the reason but all of this is fishy considering all the facts. Extremely not happy and wasted my time.

Description of Work
Trim on House and Garage Repainted, Power Wash House, Trim Trees in Front of House, and Quote on replacement of Screens on Porch

Category handyman service, screen repair, tree service, house painters

Work Completed On 05/27/2020

02/29/2020

Amy R.

Randy did an amazing job! Our basement was partially finished. We wanted the drop ceiling removed, walls studded and dry walled, create a full bathroom and closet. This space would become our master bedroom and ensuite. Time wasn't an issue for us but was completed in a satisfactory time frame. The area under reno was kept very clean each day, when we would come home to check out the progress. The master bedroom was framed (over the styrofoam insulation and existing drywall from the 60's) and the entire room got new drywall. Drop ceiling removed and drywall ceiling with can lights replaced it. New bathroom area was plumbed and created to our own design, including a water closet. All new trim throughout. New vinyl plank flooring installed in the bathroom, closet and laundry. Our new space looked amazing when complete and we couldn't be happier! We unfortunately had some water damage shortly after and Randy came back out to do some touch up work for us. We would definitely recommend!! Price was also extremely reasonable!

Description of Work
Full Basement Remodel

Category closet systems, drywall, flooring contractor, remodeling, doors, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 01/15/2019

Review for Home Maintenance Service - 5555 Greenboro Dr SE, Grand Rapids, MI - 38417840

02/06/2020

Debra K.

Larry came out to assess my project and told me he could do it. We discussed options for covering the area. He quoted me a price for labor and wrote up an agreement for me to sign. He purchased the supplies and did the work the same day. I was pleased with his work. I won’t have to worry about the plastic coming down. He did a good job of engineering the project. He was friendly and respectful which is not always the case when a woman hires a man. $

Description of Work
Needed to protect plywood on the side of my house where siding had blown off. Since it is winter the siding could not be replaced until spring.

Work Completed On 02/06/2020

01/26/2020

Katherine C.

Fine, kept trying different things til it worked

Description of Work
Washer did not spin

Work Completed On 01/25/2020

12/09/2019

Ribert W.

Great, the technician was very flexible, and worked well outside of his regular hours to get the job done for us on a busy holiday week.

Description of Work
TV Mount installed

Work Completed On 11/25/2019

11/20/2019

Tracy M.

Wonderful! He arrived on time, explained everything, and he did a great job!!

Description of Work
I had a dead bolt lock installed.

Work Completed On 11/20/2019

06/22/2019

Bryce S.

Went very well. Randall was at our house when he said he would be. He was done in a few hours and work he did was beautiful.

Description of Work
Replacing kick plates on exterior doors and painting exterior trim

Work Completed On 06/18/2019

09/12/2017

Sean Y.

Overall had a great experience using Randy and Trent as the contractors for our basement renovation. Randy was very responsive and prompt coming out to give us a free estimate on the work required. He came out within the week to take measurements and draw up rough plans for the renovation. After a few days for him to get estimates on materials and sub contractors Randy came back to go over the details of the quote. He was very knowledgeable and upfront about what work he would be completing and what would be sub-contracted. We were on a tight time frame for when we needed the work completed by and Randy went out of his way to put us on the schedule quickly. In all honesty he kept to his time schedule the best he could, the major constraints were generally involved with scheduling from the sub-contractors (excavation for our egress window, plumbers, and electricians). We did have one run in and set back with one of the sub-contractors and Randy advocated for us, and made sure that we were taken care of. He handled it very professionally and made sure we were satisfied with the final work and resolution. We were very impressed with Randy's ability to stick to a budget, and to communicate if something we wanted done would be an extra (we had a lot of those extras!). Over our eight week renovation we grew to look forward to Randy and Trent's arrival. Always jovial and out going they never made us feel out of place in our own home. If anything, it was a bitter sweet day when they completed the work as we felt like the were almost family towards the end of the project. If you are looking for a hardworking, professional contractor with years of experience that does great work at a reasonable price, Home Maintenance Service is for you. I will most certainly hire them for any future projects we need.

Description of Work
Finished basement master suite.

Category closet systems, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, handyman service, insulation, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters, doors, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 08/22/2017

Review for Home Maintenance Service - 5555 Greenboro Dr SE, Grand Rapids, MI - 36219782

05/02/2017

Pat W.

job went great, happy with the work.

Description of Work
after having new carpet installed, some doors were difficult to open (rubbing against new carpet). had bottoms of doors trimmed a little shorter. doors now swing open freely.

Work Completed On 05/02/2017

10/06/2016

Lara J.

The person they sent out was from Mr Handyman, easy to work with, asked questions, checked on what he was doing, flexible, if we wanted him to do something else he would figure out how to do things that was kinda odd. He secured our screen door better also. It was kinda expensive.

Description of Work
We had our basement ceiling pulled out, some ceiling put around our front door and the front door removed and painted.

Category interior painters

Work Completed On 10/06/2011

09/06/2016

Chris D.

I want to make sure that he gets credited for this because he did outstanding work.

Description of Work
I used Home Maintenance Service for handymen. They did some floor repairs, they installed some lights.

Work Completed On 08/15/2016

08/31/2016

Margo B.

We will definitely hire Randy and his son again. They were very professional and did a great job at a reasonable price.

Description of Work
We needed damaged siding replaced, light fixtures swapped out, some exterior priming/painting and misc repairs.

Category handyman service, siding, house painters

Work Completed On 08/31/2016

08/29/2016

Rob Y.

Randy and Trent did a great work on the job plus they were able to get a couple of things done that we added at the last second (added a canned light in the ceiling and painted the second closet). We had a few requests for them after the job was finished and I sent them an email to summarize. They replied to the email immediately and scheduled a time to come back only a few days later. They arrived on time and completed all requests even though a couple of them were not easy. I was very pleased with all aspects of the transaction. Further, they went the extra mile without us even asking when they repaired a hole in the wall in our master bedroom. We didn't even realize it until they were gone. Class act. I would highly recommend them to anyone based on their friendly approach, quality of work and professionalism. Thanks Randy and Trent.

Description of Work
Frame, Drywall, Lighting, Door Removal and Finish Master Walk-In Closet

Category closet systems, drywall, electrician, handyman service, insulation, remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 08/08/2016

07/18/2016

Birthale A.

They did a good job and they are coming back to complete a small area.

Description of Work
Decks & Porches

Category decks

Work Completed On 05/10/2016

05/31/2016

Christopher R.

We were very pleased with the results. Randy was very friendly and pleasant during the whole process. I would definitely use him again and recommend him to friends and family. He made the entire process easy to deal with.

Description of Work
Randy removed a couple walls and built a new one in our kitchen. He also did some electrical work for a microwave and refrigerator.

Category drywall, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 05/20/2016

05/05/2016

Skip P.

The repair was nothing that we agreed upon. He told me he couldn't do the repair the way we discussed for the money he quoted after he did the make shift repair. He did not call a head of time to go over what it would cost to get it done right or to even discuss an alternative repair. He just did it. When I called and asked hi why he did what he did, he said that's all he could do for the money and that I was probably going to stiff him for the work he did do. He already knew what he did was wrong. Needless to say I paid him for the work he did. I don't operate like that. I told him if it cost more to do it right I am ok with that. I just need it repaired properly and for him to call back so we could set up a time for the work. He never called back. So now I will have to find and pay someone to go in and undo what he did so I can have the subfloor repaired the right way. Such a waste of time and money.

Description of Work
Was supposed to replace water damaged subfloor in bathroom and tile floor

Category flooring contractor

Work Completed On 04/19/2016

Review for Home Maintenance Service - 5555 Greenboro Dr SE, Grand Rapids, MI - 31677753

Mr. [Member Name Removed] is not being honest with his complaint. I did the job on this old house bathroom floor as we discussed. It was a limited repair; apparently he expected the entire floor to be replaced. I got the toilet stabilized as needed. This is a typical situation where the land lord wants a large job done for a small price. He did pay me for what was done there. This was a run-down house that needs lots and lots of work. I did a good job as I always try to do for the price agreed upon. Thank you, Randall Meyer HMS.

03/15/2016

Brad E.

They were incredibly nice and did a wonderful job. I have already recommended them to family and friends.

Description of Work
Randy and Trent framed in some basement rooms and replaced Windows.

Category handyman service, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 03/14/2016

12/02/2015

Daniel S.

Randy was very professional and courteous. He did an great job converting our cabinets into a location for a dishwasher we purchased. The plumbers he used did an excellent job as well.

Description of Work
Installed a dishwasher in a cabinet location which did not previously have a dishwasher.

Category handyman service, plumbing

Work Completed On 11/16/2015

08/18/2015

Tracey B.

We had a dungeon of a basement - nothing but a dark cement room. I contacted Randy Meyer at Home Maintenance Service (HMS) through Angie's List and we met right a way to discuss a plan to make our dingy basement into a place for our family to hang out. His plan was thorough and his price was fair. He and his son worked nearly everyday from 9:45 - 5:00. They were punctual, friendly, and always very professional. In fact, there were days that I had to leave my house earlier than their arrival time so I'd leave a note on my garage door and they'd come in and get right to work. Randy was always willing to answer all of my questions and that was very comforting since our basement was such a BIG job. They always used tarps to protect the floors as they walked from the garage door to the basement. Randy took care of contacting and communication with the electrician, electrical inspector, and the building inspector. The job took about a month to complete but it was worth it! It was well thought out and beautifully done. On the last day, they even fixed our broken garage door! That was truly a blessing! I would definitely recommend HMS and I will definitely call them back for our future projects. Great work.

Description of Work
Home Maintenance Service finished our 1000 sq. ft. basement.

Category electrician, handyman service, remodeling, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 08/12/2015

Review for Home Maintenance Service - 5555 Greenboro Dr SE, Grand Rapids, MI - 30823625

07/07/2015

Linda H.

I was very pleased with the plaster repair and painting as well as the recaulking. Randy was very pleasant to work with and willing to add on the couple of extra jobs I wanted done.

Description of Work
plaster repair and pain in 3 rooms, recaulk around tub /shower

Work Completed On 06/26/2015

06/10/2015

Larry G.

It went great, they were efficient and very professional in all the work they did. I couldn't be happier.

Description of Work
Fixed siding at two locations and removed and replaced damaged sill plate. Also removed interior wall installed insulation and drywalled. Painted outside siding to match. Great Job!!

Category handyman service, remodeling, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 06/09/2015