HJ Home Inspections, Inc.

Founded 1998 • With Angi since June 2006

2146 Krislin Dr NE

Grand Rapids, MI 49505

Owner operated with over 16 years in the Home Inspection Business. Please review http://www.hjhomeinspections.com for more details, completed courses and certifications

07/23/2020

Tim K.

I met Harold at the home we had under contract. We initially focused our attention to the foundations of the additions the existing owner added onto the home several years ago. Harold discovered that the foundations were constructed from treated lumber and not concrete. Since this was a non-starter for us in terms of purchasing the home, we concluded what would have been a 4+ hour inspection in less than an hour. Harold discounted his fee accordingly. Harold was extremely knowledgeable, and we will certainly hire him again.

Description of Work
Home Inspection

08/07/2017

Susan S.

Harold was very professional and explained what he would be doing during the inspection. I was allowed to ask any question and was told a answer right away. At the end of the inspection (lasted 2 1/2 hours) Harold gave a complete verbal report and told me a written report would be in my email the same day. A friend is purchasing a home and I have given him HJ Home Inspections (Harold's) phone number to have a good and reliable inspection done.

Description of Work
I had a offer to purchase on a condo that Harold did the inspection and radon testing. I also looked at a blank inspection report that showed what he looked for in each inspection he does, it is very thorough.

07/17/2017

Jared P.

The inspector was very professional and provided a detailed 97 page report with photos of areas of concern.

Description of Work
Complete inspection on 3800sqft house.

06/13/2017

Prudence S.

This is what happened and you can make your own judgement: I signed his contract to do an inspection, radon check and termite inspection. He doesn't let you follow him. He stated that after examining each area, he would explain what he found. What he first found, and explained to me, made me reject the house and the inspection stopped. He subtracted the cost of the radon check and charged me $450 for 1/2 hour of work.

Description of Work
He completed part of a house inspection.

Category home inspection

We were not very far into the inspection when [Member Name Removed] stated, much to my surprise, that she wanted to stop the inspection. We had determined that there was a crawlspace under an addition with no access to it and so it (the crawlspace) could not be inspected. The possibility existed that issues with water/mold, termites, and/or carpenter ants could be present. It was also noted that there wasn't any venting of the crawlspace present. She stated that she had that situation in a previous home and did not want that again. "Besides" she said, " I am not in love with the house anyway". She went on, "it is no fault of yours so I want to pay you anyway what we originally agreed to". I told that would not be necessary so I deducted the cost of the radon test. The home itself was absolutely immaculate and everything so far on the exterior was very professionally done (new windows roof, etc.) and with very good quality materials. At that point of the inspection, there was no reason to walk from the home unless, of course, you just aren't willing to have an inaccessible crawlspace. I simply pointed out to her the situation with the crawlspace (I am sure you would want the inspector to point that out to you as well). She was uncomfortable with that situation and so she stopped the inspection. I assume, because of the lack of inventory on the market and the bidding wars taking place, that she is now regretting her decision. The way I conduct inspections is to do them in stages. I start with the exterior, roof and chimney and enter the findings and pictures into the reporting system. At that point, I bring the client up to date with the findings of that phase and then look at, and discuss, any of the findings prior to proceeding with the next phase of the inspection. It was at the end of the that first phase that she made the decision not to proceed.

02/13/2017

Leslie B.

Harold Van Dyk performed the inspection. He responded to my request in less than 24 hours and the inspection was scheduled within two days. The inspection was thorough, including a radon test. He reviewed with me some of the findings during the inspection. A summary of the report was available following the inspection and the entire report was delivered electronically that evening. Mr. Van Dyk also was helpful in providing safety information and a vendor list for home repair and remodeling. I highly recommend HJ Home Inspections.

Description of Work
HJ Home Inspections did an inspection for a home I had put an offer on.

01/13/2017

susan S.

Excellent, Harold was on time, professional as well as personable, very knowledgeable and thorough. He spent 3 1/2 hours and showed us items of concern and explained the issues as he went along. He took numerous photos and included them in his lengthy report. He walked on the roof to inspect it as well as the chimney. His inspection was very detailed and described every issue whether it was large or small. We would highly recommend HJ Home Inspections inc.

Description of Work
We needed a whole house purchase inspection for a potential real estate transaction.

11/01/2016

Candace W.

Our experience with HJ Home Inspections was the best we ever had. From the moment we made our online appointment request, the follow up and attention to detail was outstanding. Prompt, thorough, patient, professional and extremely knowledgeable, we will recommend HJ Home Inspections to everyone we know with an unqualified five star review.

Description of Work
Home inspection

01/31/2016

Kaylie O.

They did an outstanding job inspecting my home. He was very thorough and gave estimates on when things would need to be reviewed/replaced in the future.

Description of Work
Home inspection including roof.

01/16/2016

Bruce G.

Was not able to attend inspection so did not provide feedback on punctuality. Inspector coordinated with selling realtor. Inspector sent report via email in addition to summary report highlighting major findings. Separate pdf files allowed providing summary to seller for remediation of issues. Was pleased with the level of detail provided including photo's illustrating comments and findings

Description of Work
Inspect home as part of home purchase

10/28/2015

Andrew S.

Inspection was conducted in a very thorough and very professional manner. It is clear that Harold knows his craft well and he was able to identify several key areas of concern which were helpful in review with the sellers. I would highly recommend HJ Home Inspectors as a reliable provider for this service!

Description of Work
HJ provided a complete home inspection of a property we were considering for purchase.

09/08/2015

Karen M.

Harold was on time, performed the inspection and let me know approximate costs to fixing some of the major repairs needed to get done. Polite and professional and personable.

Description of Work
Performed a home inspection

08/07/2015

dustin C.

Harold refused service because i have a log home. sent an email back stating it shouldn't matter what type of home it is, the mold i have has been effecting my health and there was no one else that can do mold testing. he gave me a date and time but wouldn't of worked for me due to work and asked for a pamphlet so i can see what all this entails, sent an email back stating he's filling up fast and mentioned to him i can do it in September, but he went back to refusing me. feel like i'm being discriminated against not only the type of home i have but also because of disabilities as well. house apparently had a mold problem dating back way before i bought it, passed inspections when it shouldn't have, found out the severity of the mold problem i had this past winter after ownership of more then a year. severely effecting my health and trying to seek proper treatment but cannot do that until i get the results back same as properly getting this place cleaned by a professional.

Description of Work
refused service and discriminated against.

Category mold removal

05/13/2015

Karen R.

Harold inspected a home we are purchasing, He was set up in advance of our appointment time and was great to work with. He was thorough, polite, informative and insightful. We have had home inspections before with mixed results, but I feel confident that we are aware of the issues we are facing with this home and are now able to make educated decisions regarding the issues we need to address.

Description of Work
Pre-purchase home inspection that included structural, electrical, plumbing, wood destroying insects, and radon testing.

05/12/2015

Janet S.

Harold returned my call quickly and was able to schedule a visit within 3 business days. He listened carefully to our concerns, and outlined his inspection process, as well as further options depending on what he found. He was honest in saying he didn't find much to be concerned about, and provided a clear report addressing the areas of concern and a recommended course of action. Since he didn't have to do as extensive testing as he thought possible, he even adjusted his initial quote to a lesser amount. His professionalism and integrity say a lot, and I would absolutely recommend him.

Description of Work
Inspected basement and attic areas for potential problems with moisture/musty smell, also performed visual inspection for carpenter ants.

04/28/2015

Nathan C.

Harold was great. He went above and beyond assisting me (for months) while trying to resolve the matter of the faulty roof installation. He wrote a thorough report explaining everything that had been done wrong. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Description of Work
I had a roof installed by 1800HANSONS that was nowhere near code. Harold came out the day after I called and referred me to an attorney after doing a thorough inspection.

02/26/2015

dick S.

nHe was prompt, professional, knowledgeable and was able to point out areas in new home that were not up to expected standards. I would indeed hire him again if/when need be.

Description of Work
General inspection of quality of workmanship on new house.

12/23/2014

ERIC J.

Harold was punctual and thorough. He had excellent suggestions for us to consider

Description of Work
Harold provided guidance on a house that we are renovating. His insight was very valuable to us as we start making a project timeline

10/17/2014

Debra H.

I was very impressed with Harold. He arrived at the house earlier than the scheduled time so he could turn on the lights and get a feel for the house. After I arrived, Harold explained his process and let me know that he would have the report ready for me by the time he left. He spent 4 hours doing the inspections. The whole time, he let me follow him around and ask questions. He explained everything he was doing, was patient, courteous and incredibly knowledgable. Prior to the inspection, I thought the house was in very good condition. But Harold found 3 significant issues I was not aware of and while disappointed that the house will take more work than I thought it would, at least I was informed and can negotiate with the sellers with better knowledge of what it will take to rectify the situation. That is exaclty what I hired him for!

Description of Work
Home inspection, wood boring insect inspection

07/26/2014

Shauna K.

Harold was timely, professional, and very thorough. Receiving a binder with photos, a CD, and written inspection details the day of the inspection was great. He answered all questions thoroughly.

Description of Work
Complete home interior, exterior, and roof inspection.

Category home inspection, radon testing, mold removal

06/02/2014

Raymond B.

We're moving into the area and hired Harold based on Angie's List recommendations and the coupon. He was there when we arrived, and spent 3 hours going over the home in great detail. He was knowledgeable, professional and very helpful as we inspected the home and made a final buying decision. He knew the area and was familiar with builders and techniques. We appreciated his expertise and attention to our inspection. The report was complete and prepared on site. We know that most inspectors use the same software and go through the same motion, but Harold gave us confidence in what we were seeing. Use the coupon, and make sure you participate in the whole inspection to get the most out of it.

Description of Work
Home purchase inspection.

05/16/2014

Leah H.

Everything went fine, there was some concerns he had that kind of made a mess for us with the sellers. But his concerns turned out to be okay and everything worked out in the end.

Description of Work
He was very thorough checked every nook and cranny of the house.

05/04/2014

Pat B.

Great, will use again! Spent quite a bit of time. Found several small issues to be cleared up by purchase. Gave binder with pictures and review. Gave information about condo which will be helpful. Very pleased with this company, highly recommend!

Description of Work
Inspected for sale by owner condo

11/24/2013

Nick W.

Excellent, as stated above.

Description of Work
Called Harold and he promptly returned our call regarding a home inspection on our new home. We scheduled the appt. that same week and we were very impressed with his services. Prompt, knowledgeable, professional and thorough. Basic inspection cost $325, plus we opted for the additional Radon testing ($125). With Angie's List discount of $25, we were all in at $425. I would not hesitate to use Harolds services again and I highly recommend him, you will not be disappointed.

10/15/2013

Claire S.

Harold performed 2 house inspections for us this fall. In the first, he found a number of issues, including a dead furnace and several broken window seals. The owners refused to negotiate that, so we moved on and used Harold a 2nd time a few weeks later. Both times he was there inspecting the exterior when we arrived. He caught us up on his findings and kept going. He was thorough and always ready to explain findings, and documented it all real time, which made the full report available after the inspection was done. His report was thorough, concise and clear in describing his findings and the seriousness of any one finding. He also educated us on the home, pointing out how to operate appliances or maintain the building. Yes we would use him again!

Description of Work
home inspection and radon test

09/29/2013

Sherri D.

I was very pleased with Harold's work. I live in Florida and my property is in Michigan. As you might imagine it is difficult to manage this property from a distance. I have found that many times contractors do not communicate well or communicate as little as possible. As you my know, inevitably poor communication will result in poor project outcomes. This is very frustrating to say the least. Harold is an excellent communicator. He provided the level of detail I needed to make accurate and timely decisions for the property. In addition to his great communication skills, his level of professionalism and knowledge is outstanding. He advised me of the pros and cons of using the home kit for mold testing. It is very clear Harold understands his business very well and provides the highest quality of service to his customers. The price was a bit high, but certainly worth the service I received. I would absolutely recommend his services to anyone!!

Description of Work
Harold inspected an area in my rental home that was suspected to contain mold.

Category mold removal

616 Restore, Inc.

Cleaning & Restoration. Serving Michigan 40 years.

Offers Coupon

American Flo Blasting

American Flo Blasting is a full service soda, sand, and multi-media blasting co. located in Climax, Mi just outside of Galesburg. This company is a mobil operation that will come to you or you may choose to drop off smaller jobs at our shop. We specialize in mold remediation, fire damage restoration, paint removal from brick buildings as well as antique auto restoring. We will work with your insurance company to insure your satisfaction. Free estimates! Call 269-207-2514, 7 days a week to schedule an appointment. 8:00 am to 6:00 pm

SGS Contracting Environmental Services Llc

*Call us today and ask about our Angie's List Deals!* With over 20 years of experience, we specialize in asbestos abatement, Mold and Radon Remediation, Duct cleaning and sterilization, Indoor air quality, Air Sampling Testing and Inspections. Let-SGS Clear the Air! *20% Discount for Seniors and Veterans*

Offers Coupon

N/A

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about HJ Home Inspections, Inc.

How is HJ Home Inspections, Inc. overall rated?

HJ Home Inspections, Inc. is currently rated 4.9 overall out of 5.

What days are HJ Home Inspections, Inc. open?

HJ Home Inspections, Inc. is open:

What payment options does HJ Home Inspections, Inc. provide

HJ Home Inspections, Inc. accepts the following forms of payment: Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

Does HJ Home Inspections, Inc. offer free estimates?

Yes, HJ Home Inspections, Inc. offers free project estimates.

Does HJ Home Inspections, Inc. offer eco-friendly accreditations?

No, HJ Home Inspections, Inc. does not offer eco-friendly accreditations.

Are warranties offered by HJ Home Inspections, Inc.?

No, HJ Home Inspections, Inc. does not offer warranties.

What services does HJ Home Inspections, Inc. offer?

HJ Home Inspections, Inc. offers the following services: Complete Home Inspection in the extended Greater Grand Rapids area including Radon Testing, Mold Testing, Well & Septic Inspections, duplexes, multi-unit and apartment complex inspections, consulting conditions of shingles, furnaces & water-drainage problems. Structural issues requiring a Professional Certified Engineer. Expert witness services.

Are there any services HJ Home Inspections, Inc. does not offer?

N/A