Avalon Building Concepts

Founded 2000 • With Angi since June 2006

In business since 2000, we've been serving Greater Grand Rapids reliably for over 20 years. Our contractors are GAF Master Elite certified and multiple President's Club Award winners. The Better Business Bureau has given us an A+ rating for our quality product and customer service. We are West Michigan's go-to resource for Roofing, windows, siding, gutters and more. We'll do your job right the first time, every time. Professional salesmen will quote you fairly and honestly, and our contractors will do exactly what was agreed upon. No less....

GAF Preferred Contractor Badge

+20 more images

roofing (596)gutter repair (114)window replacement (81)door installation (30)chimney repair (26)skylight installation (16)roof cleaning (8)electrician (7)concrete repair (5)deck cleaning (3)garage doors (3)siding companies (63)

08/08/2022

John B.

Had a roof leak in the middle of the night on July 4th. We were planning on reroofing the house and installing gutters on the other 2 sides of the house this summer anyways. I emailed Avalon that night that I needed a quote for a new roof. The next day I was contacted by one of the ladies in the office. She said someone could stop by at 7 p.m. that evening. She also said it would probably be 6 to 8 weeks to schedule for the work to be done. Will Harris came by that evening and inspected everything. He found that the leak was coming from one of the vents in the attic and put a plastic tub under it for me. He quoted me a price comparable to ones I had gotten last year and told me that they would be able to schedule to have it done in a couple weeks. By the end of the week I was left a message to call and schedule the date of the job. I stopped by that day to drop off the deposit. I had a concern with the contract but Will was giving a quote and couldn't be reached. The owners personally came out and took care of the issue. One of them also scheduled the job for the following Thursday. The materials and dumpster showed up on Wednesday, the roofers were there the next day at 7:00 a.m. to start work and the dumpster was removed Friday morning. Will showed up about 9 a.m. on Thursday to check on things and said he'd be back at the end of the day to follow up. Before leaving he went to the neighbors on both sides of the house and left a card for them to contact him if any debris needed to be cleaned up in their yard after the job was done. That evening he inspected everything and cleaned up the yard some more. He also walked around the house with a magnet and got a few more nails. He said they would be calling in a couple weeks to schedule the gutters to be installed. I got a call August 2nd from Aaron asking if it would be ok to come by around 2 p.m. to install the gutters. Aaron and Eric showed up and knocked it out in a few hours. Two of the nicest guys to deal with. In fact, everyone I dealt with through Avalon was very friendly and eager to make sure you were taken care of and happy with their service. The reason I chose Avalon was because of the reviews. I know they can't please 100% of their customers and some customers just can't be pleased no matter what. The majority of the reviews are positive and that's exactly the kind of service I got from Avalon Building Concepts. I will be using them again in the future. Will also texted me after the gutters were done saying he will be doing a final inspection next week and address any concerns I have.

Description of Work
New roof and gutters

Category gutter repair, roofing

Work Completed On 08/02/2022

05/17/2022

Chris P.

A representative from Avalon Roofing, named Chris Greening, was the first person to stop by for a roofing and gutter estimate that I'd requested from many companies. Chris was right on time and when I arrived home from work he had already surveyed the job that needed to be done and was on the roof taking measurements. Ultimately, the shingle that I wanted and needed was in "short supply" and not readily available (Pandemic related issues). Chris knew that he might not be able to fulfill my request but still put in the time to explain "in detail" all the facets of proper installation and warranty - Avalon offered a 50 year warranty. Of the 6 people that I talked to, Chris was the most knowledgeable and dedicated and followed up with me consistently, over the following days, with valuable information. Ultimately, Avalon's pricing was the "most competitive" at $10,800 for the premium shingles and a 30 foot gutter install with downspout. The other companies ranged in pricing from as low as $9600 (not premium shingles) to upwards of $16,000 for the premium shingles with gutter installation. *For reference - this was for a home with two roofs, upper and lower, that required 60 bundles of shingles, one piece seamless gutter with downspout and single layer roof tear off with 3 Chimney flashings to replace. If you need an honest expert to assist you, call Chris Greening at Avalon Roofing.

Description of Work
Roofing and Gutter

Category concrete repair, gutter repair, roofing

Work Completed On 05/16/2022

03/23/2022

Duane H.

Avalon Building Concepts is my #1 go-to for major home improvements. So far Avalon has replaced: the concrete floor in my garage, the house and garage roofs, a pile of kindling I called my deck, two sliding doors and an exterior door, and just yesterday Tyson Potter sold me new windows. What can I say about my sales rep Tyson Potter? Tyson always leaves with a signed contact and I have no doubts at all that I just got a great deal. Tyson always listens to my desires and concerns and lays out the small number of options to choose from (rather than me having to listen to a spiel on every product brochure in a binder). The quality of Avalon's products and the professionalism of the crews always exceeds my expectations, but getting to work with Tyson makes selecting Avalon a no-brainer.

Description of Work
Multiple projects completed with excellent results

Category concrete repair, decks, roofing, doors

Work Completed On 03/08/2022

03/12/2022

Dave M.

Extremely spotty communication, reps failing to return calls (until they want their money.) Very sloppy job, roof is now uneven and they left their debris and trash on the ground which is going to be a huge problem because we have dogs. When we had concerns about the quality of the work, the company rep, Amy Vansuilichem Johnson became very rude and condescending. Rather than listening to our issues, she told us that we didn't understand what we were talking about. Also made fun of the way my daughter talks. Owner of the company also did not care that his workers did terrible work and left holes in the roof.

Description of Work
Roof replacement

Work Completed On 03/11/2022

Review for Avalon Building Concepts - 5017 Division Ave S, Grand Rapids, MI - 39657404

Roof does have structural sagging that would not be resolved by a roof replacement. Work was completed in DECEMBER. We followed up on March 10th regarding payment, at which point zero communication with the customer regarding any concerns. Avalon then reached out to the homeowner again on the 11th and it was only when the customer returned that call did Avalon get notified of any concerns of the homeowner. This a second home for the customer they did not inspect the work until March 4th, there was snow on the ground when the project was completed, had we been notified of concerns with the clean up we would have sent out a crew to do additional clean up. The image shared is of Soffit and fascia work not contracted for by the customer.

04/01/2021

Phil T.

Extremely poor communication and expensive. The only times they were prompt on communication was to collect the deposit and to collect the balance once the job was done. Originally signed the contract on 12/09/2020 and heard nothing for a month. Without notice the builder showed up a month later only to identify that what was quoted is not possible. We then signed an addendum on 01/20/2021 for the work. There was no communication for over another month until I contacted them and asked for an update. On 03/04/2021 I was messaged that the work would start on Monday, 03/08/2021. When the work did not start, I asked for an update and was told the work would start by 10 AM the next day... Again it did not. Work finally started on 03/10/2021, took about 10 days to complete since the workers were here a bit sporadically. Ultimately, the work done was acceptable and the builder was a nice guy. I fully understand that the weather needed to be warm enough to pour cement without jeopardizing the integrity of the cement but for the premium I paid to use a Avalon I expected much better communication throughout the process and it should have been done and cleaned up within 3-5 days.

Description of Work
Repair of 2 chimney caps including brick and concrete caps

Category chimney repair

Work Completed On 03/10/2021

Review for Avalon Building Concepts - 5017 Division Ave S, Grand Rapids, MI - 39275708

01/23/2021

Susanne B.

Avalon replaced our roof, the soffits and fascia and siding. The workmanship is outstanding and the quality of materials are far superior to any other company we got quotes from. Additionally, of the four quotes we got, ranging from $68,000 to $42,000, theirs was the lowest for the highest quality product we were shown. They were also super fast. We have a traditional two story house, and that is 2200 square feet, and they did the entire roof, including removing the old materials and replacing a lot of rotting boards, in a day and a half. They sided my house, wrapped all the trim and replaced the soffit and fascia in a week. The people we worked with from their salesman Chris to the workers they sent were kind, respectful and patient, answering all our questions and making sure the job was done the way we wanted it. We did not choose them because they were the least expensive, but because of the quality product that they offered and the other reviews we had seen. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to anyone or to use them again if I needed too.

Description of Work
Roof, soffits and fascia and vinyl siding

Category concrete repair, roofing, siding

Work Completed On 01/23/2021

Review for Avalon Building Concepts - 5017 Division Ave S, Grand Rapids, MI - 39151697

Thank you for your kind review. We are happy to have met your expectations!

09/30/2020

Pat C.

We had avalon do our roof on the house back in 2015 when we had some storm damage. We were very satisfied so now that we are trying to sell our home and our garage needs replacement, we knew we could count on avalon for a quick response.

Description of Work
new asphalt roof

Work Completed On 12/19/2019

09/25/2020

Ruta B.

I called avalon and Jason showed up. Jason checked on my gutters and cleaned them for me. he was very nice and helpful! Instead of telling me new gutters, he suggested I waited to see how the cleaning responded to my issue before moving forward with new. He was so helpful I would recommend Jason and Avalon to anyone! Thank you!

Description of Work
gutter repair

Category gutter repair

Work Completed On 09/24/2020

Theodore J J.

This project became more time consuming, complicated and difficult. Jonathan was always available for every question and glitch, and ensured that this major job was performed in a timely and friendly manner with results that are magnificent. Throughout this entire project, with its many frustrations, Jonathan showed his professionalism and trustworthiness. We definitely will recommend Avalon Concepts and would request Jonathan for any future projects.

Description of Work
Initially, we received a quote from Avalon Concepts for our roof with Jonathan. Even though the quote was higher than two others, we were impressed with the professionalism of Jonathan and decided to contract with Avalon. We were glad we did! Once the roof was started, it became obvious that our 100-year old home's chimney(s) were deteriorating and a window needed replacing. Pictures were taken to confirm their findings. Jonathan helped us locate the necessary resources to do a complete rebuild of the chimneys and guaranteed that the initial roof work would be completed as promised.

Category roofing, replacement windows, chimney repair

Work Completed On 09/14/2020

Tim O.

I had avalon replace the roof at my last home I lived in and they did a great job. after my father passed away and I took over his home, the first thing I needed to do was replace the old roof and avalon was the contractor I called.

Description of Work
new asphalt roof install

Work Completed On 08/14/2020

cindy B.

I heard of Avalon from a friend who had their roof done by avalon and I was just as impressed. They will be back soon to install some doors that I have needed after they did such a great job on the first project.

Description of Work
new asphalt roof

Work Completed On 07/09/2020

09/18/2020

Andrew K.

Originally I had avalon scheduled to come out and install my fence. While waiting for the install to take place, the roof suddenly needed to be replaced so we had avalon out for a quote and again, they met our standards and to look at the finished product, they worked hard and did a great job!

Description of Work
new asphalt roof install

Work Completed On 09/17/2020

Emily D.

The workmanship was high quality, and we appreciated that avalon came back to rectify things when we were initially dissatisfied.

Description of Work
new aluminum gutter install

Category gutter repair

barbara K.

We used avalon to replace our roof and put in a concrete driveway. They did an amazing job. The work was done exactly as we wanted. We highly recommend them.

Description of Work
concrete driveway/asphalt roof install

Work Completed On 09/16/2020

Cheryl H.

Loved avalon building concepts. They did everything they said they would. They showed up on time, cleaned up daily and answered a few questions I had along the way. The one gentlemen noticed our flat roof was leaking and he did a temporary fix for us and now I have avalon coming to fix my flat roof. I would recommend them to anyone. They're an amazing company!

Description of Work
soffit, fascia and roof

Work Completed On 08/29/2020

09/13/2020

austin M.

I had an issue with my ventilation and my roof. avalon was able to solve both issues. I dont know what my next project will be around the house but avalon will be the company I call.

Description of Work
new asphalt roof

09/13/2020

ronald H.

this is my 3rd project ive done with avalon and I have had no issues with either of them. ive done an addition, a new roof and siding on my home and garage as of late so basically theyve built me a new home that I can't help but smile at when I pull in the driveway.

Description of Work
new vinyl siding

Category siding

09/12/2020

david Y.

Crew showed up and really worked hard. our roof wasn't the easiest of roofs because of how steep it is but that didn't stop the avalon crew at all. hats off to you guys.

Description of Work
new asphalt roof

Work Completed On 09/12/2020

09/12/2020

todd H.

Customer service was through the roof! no pun. The roofers tools kept tripping my circuits and had to go and get a generator but otherwise I have great things to say!

Description of Work
new asphalt roof

Work Completed On 09/03/2020

09/11/2020

stuart C.

Avalon was very methodical from start to finish. What surprised me the most was expecting to need my shoes on while walking around the car for a while after the roof was installed and I have yet to find a single nail! Ill be calling them when I get the roof done on my house to match my new garage!

Description of Work
new roof install

Work Completed On 09/02/2020

09/09/2020

Gordon A.

Beware of this company. Nothing happened until I called them. They took 100 dollar deposit. Said that would be around 4 to 6 weeks out. This was before 4th of July holiday. The money came out of my account in late july. So I assumed that I would be hearing from them. Nope. I called them September 9th questioning what was going on. After being transferred to another person. Miraculously they can have a crew the next day. I felt immediately that I didn't want to deal with this company. So I asked for my deposit back. Avalon told me that there would be a cancellation fee. I lost it. Why a fee when they (Avalon) did absolutely nothing!!!! I was told it is in the contract. At least it was only 100 and not thousands.

Description of Work
Insulation

Category insulation, chimney repair

Work Completed On 09/09/2020

08/31/2020

James S.

stay away from this company!! heed the warnings!! they are not builders. they subcontract everything. they hire hack crews that can't and won't communicate. their contracts are bs. the roof they did may be ok, pending building inspector, but i have my doubts. the siding and windows they did are a total hack job. they charged me $40k. promised great crews. told windows had to be done before siding, then told it was ok to do the after the siding. they put the siding guy on putting in my windows, which he googled how to in my driveway in front of my wife. they were told to stop and remove the crew and didn't. tried to convince us that the finished product is what's important. we were told we don't know what we're talking about, but i'm in construction. thanks to covid i didn't have time to undertake the project myself, or i would have. now i have to pay another builder to fix their mess. and spend time in litigation. thanks dan, rick, mike, and jesus for a total shoddy job. stay away from this company. update: dan the owner was just at my house with the city inspector, his lawyer and a worker. after my wife and i started to call him out on the shoddy job done to our house he got very angry. to the point of getting in my face trying to provoke me to start a fight. real professional. then i was called a money-grubbing liar and my wife a money grubbing hoe. Service: Roof installation

Description of Work
Roof, soffit and facia, siding and windows.

Category roofing, siding, replacement windows, chimney repair

Work Completed On 08/13/2020