Doggie Latchkey Inc

Founded 2009 • With Angi since March 2010

PO Box 956

Farmington, MI 48332

Doggie Latchkey’s pet sitting mission is to provide pet owners with a safe and secure alternative to boarding and kennels. No matter how cute the overnight facilities might look, it still isn’t home. Our passion for keeping pets in their own environment and daily routines is the motivation for this pet sitting business....

01/18/2022

Steffannie A.

The Result: One dog with kidney disease being given incorrect medication (Chemotherapy). Another dog being given the wrong dosage of Chemotherapy. Disrupted Wedding/Honeymoon. Large vet bills being covered by their insurance. Doggie Latchkey refusing to issue a full refund. The Experience: We hired Doggie Latchkey since they had great reviews, were allegedly professionals, and were fully insured for any issues that may occur. We were going to be gone for one week for our Wedding/Honeymoon in Mexico. The initial dog sitter came the night before and was quite good after we showed her exactly what to do with medications and feeding. We gave her emergency contacts and an extremely organized, color-coded feeding/pee/medication schedule. We were told she would be there every day and night for the first half of the week, and the second half of the week she would be back at nights/mornings for the feeding and medications. What happened is that we were told without any warning that the second nanny would be taking over completely from the initial nanny. This is someone we’ve never met and hadn’t personally shown how to take care of our three dogs, all of which have medical issues. We tried to facetime her the first morning she was working to make sure she didn’t have any questions about the routine, however she seemed frustrated we were calling and seemed as if she wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible and told us to call the owner of the company, Denise. We only called her at the request of the nanny and asked why the sudden change in nanny’s while we were talking to her. She ended up being quite rude to my wife and suggested that if we have someone, we know that could take care of our dogs that we should call them. On our last day in Mexico, we received a phone call from the nanny saying she gave Chemotherapy to the dog with Kidney Disease rather than the one that needed Chemo. The sitter was not prepared for this situation, did not know about the Pet Poison Hotline, nor had a way to pay for the $60 fee for a case number from them that the vet required. We had to coordinate the point help line and the emergency vets from Mexico. The nanny got to the vet 1.5 hours later rather than the 20 minutes it usually takes to drive there. We had to book the first flights we could tend to our dogs. Upon talking to the vet, it turns out this was the second time they had been in contact with here. She had apparently given too much Chemo to our dog that was prescribed it and was seeking advice 3 days prior. Same story from our regular vet, but she kept mixing up names on the call, so we are unsure if she knew which dog was which. When we arrived home the house smelled horribly. Upon reviewing our cameras around the house, the second sitter didn’t follow the pee schedule we laid out (which was needed due to the frequent urination of our dog with Kidney disease), so the dogs would wake up earlier than her and pee and poop around the house. The nanny picked up poop but didn’t clean up the pee. They insurance was a pleasure to work with. They covered all the vet expenses that we racked up, however informed us they can’t reimburse us for the pet sitting expenses, that’s on Doggie Latchkey’s end. After trying to request a refund on a poor service on a call with their Director of Operations we were only met with equally poor customer service, we were told they were willing to refund $450 of the $1304 we were charged claiming they did an adequate job of taking care of our dogs, until Denise the owner called us again and was extremely nice about it and was quite remorseful and so mortified about what happened. We were issued the Full Refund of $1,304. In the end Denise came through and acted professional in her communication, and willing to work with their customers to make things right.

01/18/2022

Chevy A.

The Result: One dog with kidney disease being given incorrect medication (Chemotherapy). Another dog being given the wrong dosage of Chemotherapy. Disrupted Wedding/Honeymoon. Large vet bills being covered by their insurance. Doggie Latchkey refusing to issue a full refund. The Experience: We hired Doggie Latchkey due to the fact that they had great reviews, were allegedly professionals, and were fully insured for any issues that may occur. We were going to be gone for one week for our Wedding/Honeymoon in Mexico. The initial dogsitter came the night before and was quite good after we showed her exactly what to do with medications and feeding. We gave her emergency contacts and an extremely organized, color-coded feeding/pee/medication schedule. We were told she would be there every day and night for the first half of the week, and the second half of the week she would be back at nights/mornings for the feeding and medications. What actually happened is that we were told without any warning that the second nanny would be taking over completely from the initial nanny. This is someone we’ve never met and hadn’t personally shown how to take care of our three dogs, all of which have medical issues. We tried to facetime her the first morning she was working to make sure she didn’t have any questions about the routine, however she seemed frustrated we were calling and seemed as if she wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible and told us to call the owner of the company, Denise. We only called her at the request of the nanny and asked why the sudden change in nanny’s while we were talking to her. She ended up being quite rude to my wife and suggested that if we have someone we know that can dogsit our dogs that we should call them. On our last day in Mexico, we received a phone call from the nanny saying she gave Chemotherapy to the dog with Kidney Disease rather than the one that needed Chemo. The sitter was not prepared for this situation, did not know about the Pet Poison Hotline, nor had a way to pay for the $60 fee for a case number from them that the vet required. We had to coordinate the point help line and the emergency vets from Mexico. The nanny got to the vet 1.5 hours later rather than the 20 minutes it usually takes to drive there. We had to book the first flights we could to tend to our dogs. Upon talking to the vet, it turns out this was the second time they had been in contact with here. She had apparently given too much Chemo to our dog that was prescribed it and was seeking advice 3 days prior. Same story from our regular vet, but she kept mixing up names on the call, so we are unsure if she knew which dog was which. When we arrived home the house smelled horribly. Upon reviewing our cameras around the house, the second sitter didn’t follow the pee schedule we laid out (which was needed due to the frequent urination of our dog with Kidney disease), so the dogs would wake up earlier than her and pee and poop around the house. The nanny picked up poop but didn’t clean up the pee. They insurance was actually a pleasure to work with. They covered all the vet expenses that we racked up, however informed us they can’t reimburse us for the pet sitting expenses, that’s on Doggie Latchkey’s end. After trying to request a refund on a poor service, we were only met with equally poor customer service. They are only willing to refund $450 of the $1304 we were charged claiming they did an adequate job of taking care of our dogs. I would not advise working with this company, especially if you have animals with medical conditions or ever see a situation where you need a refund. We have found the company to be unprofessional both in service and communication, and unwilling to work with their customers once they were paid.

Description of Work
Dog/house sitting

10/10/2017

Susan R.

It was great! Kathy was our sitter, and she was in constant communications with us while we were away. She sent pictures and texts whenever she came to the house and while she was walking or playing with the two dogs.

Description of Work
Overnight pet sitting for 10 days while on vacation

Category pet sitters

[Member Name Removed], we're thrilled to hear that you were so happy with Kathy's extended care services! We thank you for taking the time to share your Doggie Latchkey experience with the Angie's List community!

05/02/2017

Pattie M.

It was great. Our sitter came out to meet our pets and bonded instantly. We went over personalities, our home layout, and anything else to make the services thorough and easy.

Description of Work
Used Doggie Latchkey to come to my home and care for my two kittens and our dog over a weekend.

Category pet sitters

Thank you, [Member Name Removed] so much for taking the time to share your experience with the Angie's List community!

03/30/2017

Kim H.

No problems. They were very accommodating with last minute notice. Krysten was great

Description of Work
Dog walking after owner fractured her wrist

Category pet sitters

Thank you for your review, [Member Name Removed]. We pride ourselves on being able to accommodate late minute requests, something that is so important in this industry. We will let Krysten know how happy you were with her services. Thank you so much!

01/01/2017

Dale J.

Both Sarah and Susan were wonderful with Mable and Murphy. Everytime they would come to check on them they would send pictures and an update on how they were doing. I would definitely use Doggie Latchkey again.

Description of Work
I have a senior dog (16) and I cannot stomach the thought of leaving her at a kennel anymore. Doggie Latchkey came into my home for three nights over the Christmas holiday so my pups could stay in their familiar environment.

11/22/2016

Deborah L.

Very well. Care giver was very detailed, very caring, was able to give meds, help with lifting older animal with mobility issues, massage limbs and was very kind and caring

Description of Work
Dog sitting visit for a special needs geriatric dog

11/21/2016

Deborah L.

Description of Work
Dog sitting visit for a special needs geriatric dog

08/01/2016

Terry O.

Absolutely wonderful! We were very comfortable with the pet sitter, and trusted her with our pets, and home. She kept in touch daily with updates on our pets, and did a wonderful job. We would absolutely use them again!

Description of Work
Doggie Latchkey provided pet sitting for our precious and beloved cats, and tortoises. They also watched over some of our delicate plants while out of town.

05/17/2016

JILL B.

They do an excellent job. I'm so glad I found this service for my pups. They even helped me out of a bind when I had to leave town suddenly. I couldn't be happier.

Description of Work
They have visited my dogs, fed my dogs, walked my dogs.

03/27/2016

Leslie B.

Doggie Latchkey has a very responsive system for scheduling service. As this was my first time using the service a preliminary visit with the cat sitter was included as part of the service. This was helpful for me to get to know the sitter and for the sitter to meet the cats and also learn about where things are and how things worked. Joni was my sitter and she was very professional and very attentive to the cats. She not only took care of the feeding and litter box, but she brought in the mail and played with the cats. Each day she sent me a text with photo letting me know the cats were fine. The service cost is $25 per day. The service is top notch and very easy to schedule. I will definitely use Doggie Latchkey again.

Description of Work
Doggie Latchkey provided cat sitting service in my home. It was the basic service, one visit per day.

03/26/2016

Dawn B.

We have had a wonderful experience with Doggie Latchkey. We have been using their services for daily walks for over eight months. We have also used them for overnight pet sitting on many occasions. One of our dogs doesn't do well with boarding so every time we had to board them we knew that he wouldn't eat much (if any) while we were gone. It would take him at least a week to get back to normal. This is completely eliminated with Doggie Latchkey!! When we go away they get HIGH quality care--including getting fed on the same schedule as when we are home, sleeping where they usually do, and enjoying lots and lots of attention. You are assigned two pet sitters which adds value to the service. You will never miss a day with this approach. If the first sitter needs a day off the second sitter steps in. You will always know who is gong to be in your house each day. Doggie Latchkey just recently added a scheduling website which is great for adding additional visits. My daily walks are automatically populated in the system (very convenient) so if I need to add an extra visit it only takes a few clicks. We look forward to many more visits from Doggie Latchkey. Thank you - Robin - Stacy - Denise!!!

Description of Work
Doggie Latchkey has provided both daily walks and overnight pet sitting for my three dogs.

04/10/2015

Sharon Z.

This was a great experience. We had previously always used neighborhood kids. This was so much better. Our cat sitter visited every evening. She fed the cats, cleaned the litter box, brought in mail and even filled the bird feeders. Everything was clean and organized when we returned. Litter boxes looked great. The cats were so much calmer when we returned than they have been when we previously went on trips. We received texts everyday after the pet sitter visited, including pictures. This service is worth every penny!

Description of Work
Cat sitting for a week.

07/11/2014

David R.

I have used many dog sitting services in the past and none have even come close to Doggie Latchkey. From the first visit on they have been thorough, prompt and always professional. They follow up with either a text / phone call or e mail once the visit is complete. In my case I always opt for a text and it usually comes with a picture of my dog. I highly recommend Doggie Latchkey!

Description of Work
Dog Walk / Visit

07/07/2014

Stephanie C.

Our cat LOVES her. She sent text photos of him every visit. He was very well-adjusted when we returned. Suzanne must've cleaned up a bit, b/c there weren't hair masses present ;) The owner, Denise, is very responsive to arranging appointments and is flexible when there are changes in the schedule. I appreciate that Doggie Latchkey is truly concerned about the pet's well-being and doesn't view the animal as just an animal in a glorified cage. Thank you!

Description of Work
This was our second vacation leaving our cat in Suzanne's care. She came every other day to feed, water, and play with him. She was also available to collect mail, packages, and generally look over the place. Visit charge is based on frequency of visits. There is a slight discount for more frequent visits.

05/20/2014

MARY S.

We have a shy cat and one who is not. Erik won over the shy cat on his initial visit. The kitties were happy when we returned home and we could see they were well cared for. Thanks Erik.

Description of Work
Erik came into our home while we were away for a few days and fed our cats and cleaned litter boxes. happy when we returned . He sent a text each day we were gone to let us know how our kitties were doing, which is something important to me.

05/19/2014

Keri A.

We have used Doggie Latchkey three times now and have been very happy with the service. We have had problems in the past finding reliable pet sitters, which adds a great deal of stress to any time away from home. I first contacted Doggie Latchkey when a pet sitter backed out less than 48 hours before vacation. Denise responded very promptly and was able to help us out. Eric has always been our sitter and he's great to work with. Very professional, courteous, and responsible. With Doggie Latchkey, we're paying more than we've ever paid before for a pet sitter, but it's totally worth the piece of mind. They're extremely professional and reliable, and our cats seem very relaxed when we returned. I'm so thankful that we found Doggie Latchkey!

Description of Work
Cat sitting

05/18/2014

Christine B.

It went well. The provider is professional, competent and -- very important to me -- caring toward my dog.

Description of Work
Cared for my dog for an hour in my home. Refreshed water bowl, put food bowl down, gave treats, played with dog, walked dog. Closed pet gate (inside home) when leaving. Sent me a text message and photo when service was completed.

05/14/2014

Heather M.

We could not be happier with how well Doggie Latchkey took care of our two cats and dog while we were away. The pet sitter gained our confidence in the Meet and Greet, asked all the right questions (even the ones we hadn’t thought about), and thoroughly documented our expectations. The sitter went and quot;above and beyondand quot; in her efforts to win over our timid dog (they certainly succeeded!) and kept us in the loop with fun picture and video updates. We came home to three happy animals and we’ll certainly call Doggie Latchkey again for our future trips!

Description of Work
Provided pet sitting services for our two cats and one dog while we were on vacation.

05/10/2014

John K.

While the dogs seem to have been adequately cared for - there were some indications they may have been overfed, it was the other aspects of the sitting that were not very appropriate. There was evidence that they had been all through the house - moved medicines in the medicine cabinet, rearranged jewelry in the jewelry cabinet, clothing disrupted in the drawers (e.g. husband's shirt found in wife's drawer), trash baskets from the basement on the second floor, and on and on. The crowning touch was that thery had a problem with one of the key's for the house - we had tested them before giving them over and again on our return and we had no problems - and they decided to removes the small leaded glass window from the front door in order to break into the house. They then left the house overnight with the window out for any burglar to enter the house, thank heavens no one did. They then got someone to reinstall the window although it waasn't until after we got back that the trim got completed, looking very different from what had been there. The thing is the head of the company had another copy of the key and our next door neighbor, who was home at the time, also had a copy of the key and we had left instructions that she could assist if there were any problems. Two weeks later we are still finding things out of place although nothing seems to have been taken. Needless to say this nullified all of the benefits of our vacation. We are still mystified as to what these two people were thinking as they went through our things and didn't even bother to put them back in their places.

Description of Work
Provided pet sitting services from 4/20/14-4/27/14

04/14/2014

BARBARA L.

Denise sent Linda to walk my dog, Christopher Wallace, while I am away at work at night. Linda displays professionalism I never knew existed. She arrives on time and takes CW for long walks and spends time afterward playing with him and snuggling. She is very careful and follows my rules (and hers). This company is the best. Linda also leaves me a report card, and lets me know that Christopher Wallace has treats, goes potty and loves all the attention she gives him. This is the best thing I have done for both of us. I miss him so very much while I am away, and it is very comforting to know he is in such responsible and good hands. KUDOS!! :-D

Description of Work
Dog walking and K9 TLC. :-)

Category pet sitters, dog walkers

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback about our services. It is our absolute pleasure to care for Christopher Wallace while you are away!!

03/09/2014

Michael F.

My husband and I contacted Doggie Latchkey to inquire about their overnight pet sitting services. We have two cats and two dogs. We have struggled for some time trying to find reliable and quality overnight pet sitting care. I contacted Doggie Latchkey via email and Denise responded to my inquiry via phone the next day (less than 24 hours). She set-up a meet and greet with Nikki, who would be the person taking care of our pets. We liked Nikki right away. Our cats and dogs seem to take a liking to her right away as well. You can tell she is an animal lover. We arranged for Nikki to do a daily dog walk, and an overnight pet sit that included another dog walk. Nikki is simply FANTASTIC and a perfect fit for us. She did an excellent job. We really appreciated her updates and the summary of how things went. When we returned, the cats and the dogs all seemed very happy and relaxed, which is huge. Our pets can certainly get stressed when we leave. We will absolutely contact Doggie Latchkey again and hope that Nikki is available to do another overnight pet sit for us. Her care allowed to us to not feel guilty and worried about how our pets were doing for maybe the first time ever. In the past, we have had to board our dogs. While the boarding facility that we use is great, it isn't the same as having your pets all at home together. THANK YOU Denise and Nikki!!!! You are awesome.

Description of Work
Daily dog walking, overnight pet sitting.

01/04/2014

Andy H.

We were new to the area, looking for a pet sitter, after many years with a cat sitter that we had loved. We were worried that we could never replace the trust and relationship with our old cat sitter, with a new one. Doggie Latch Key and Denise have rapidly created a great relationship through their exceptional caring and service from beginning to end. Our initial meeting with Denise to learn about DLK was very professional and thorough. It provided us the confidence that we were putting our cats and home in good hands. DLK's cat sitting actually exceeded our high expectations that were set from this initial meeting. A key element was communication: We received updates about our cats during/after each visit. This helped to build confidence that everything was well, especially with a new cat sitter. It was clear from this communication that Denise has a passion for cats. The DLK experience is a successful combination of this passion and professionalism. We will definitely use them in the future.

Description of Work
Cat Sitting. We chose the deluxe (45 minute visit). The cost quoted above is the per visit price. A visit included giving the cats food and water, scooping litter, etc. DLK also brought in the mail, put garbage out at the curb and brought the garage cans back.

Category pet sitters

Thank you so much for the kind words, [member name removed]. It was a pleasure to meet you, Kate, Stoli and Malibu. We are so happy to hear that our services exceeded your expectations. We know more than anyone that it can be so difficult to have to move on from a pet sitter that you have grown to know and trust. We look forward to continuing a great relationship far into the future. We thank you very much for taking the time to tell others about your experience with our company!

12/05/2013

Linda S.

The Doggie Latchkey pet sitters are super nice and our pets like them; you can tell the pets like them because they do not act too anxious when we get home and we can tell that they are eating regularly. The pet sitters take pictures of our pets and text them to us. They text us with any concerns and they text us with a report about how the pets are doing. The pets are very happy because the Doggie Latchkey pet sitters play a lot when they visit them. The pet sitters feed and play with them, take the dog out to the bathroom, pick up our mail for us and newspapers off the driveway, and clean up after the pets if they make messes. We also know from the neighbors that they spend at least 1/2 hr each visit where we were told that some other service came and left after just a few minutes. Doggie Latchkey sitters give quality time to our pets. Usually, there were two pet sitters at our house, one played with the cat and one with the dog.

Description of Work
Doggie Latchkey is my pet sitter for my cat and dog inside my house when I go out of town.

Category pet sitters

Thank you (member name removed) for taking the time to review our services and for your kind words. It makes us so happy to hear that your pets are comfortable and relaxed while you are away. Our sitters absolutely love their time with Chloe and Spooky! Thank you so much.

10/24/2013

Debby A.

I have been re-educated on what good service means! These ladies are just amazing. Of course I waited until the last minute to plan. Dog walker meet n greet Monday / business trip Tuesday. I filled out the email form early Monday morning, worried that I have waited way too long. Within 10 minutes Denise called to go over the everything and Linda showed up Monday evening for the meet n greet. I have been very overwhelmed with the new job and 50% travel. This has been an awesome experience and an enormous weight off my shoulders. Often I've called with last minute HELP and they are right there. It's tough adjusting to the schedule and then making sure both people in the house are on the same track. It's great to know that when my brain messes up the schedule I can email Denise or text Linda and the problem is solved. The price is just right as well. I've also used the service when we wanted to have freedom for some fun. In the past I would have said no to certain events and now I can do a little more knowing that my pup is still a happy camper. The best part is getting a text message from your dog (oh yeah I mean Linda). She sends multiple messages with happy Weazer photos. PS I have referred her to a coworker who uses the service everyday and is equally delighted. Keep it up ladies! :D

Description of Work
Super Awesome Dog Walkers

Category pet sitters, dog walkers

Thank you so much [member name removed] for your kind words about our company! Our top priorities as a professional pet sitting company are to keep your animals safe and secure in their normal routine and to provide you with absolute peace of mind when you're away. We could not be happier to hear that we have succeeded in these goals. We cannot thank you enough for the referral, it really is the highest compliment we can receive. Thank you again from all of us at Doggie Latchkey!

Animal & House Sitting
    Dog Walking
    Check, PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

In home pet sitting services. Daily walks. Extended vacation pet sits. Pet transportation.

Ask for details.