McDowell's Tile & Sons

Founded 1988 • With Angi since July 2009

Installing tile for more than 25 years, I learned to do tiling very young as my dad built custom homes growing up my brothers and i took to the flooring business. you name it, we can tile it! I love taking your ideas and making your project one of a kind.

4.4

tile installation (131)flooring (30)home remodeling (25)handyman (16)interior painting (7)floor cleaning (4)drywall (4)door installation (3)woodworking (3)water damage restoration (3)wallpaper removal (3)glass repair (3)

03/20/2020

Candace M.

It went very well. They were careful to close off the rest of the house from the demolition work. Cleaned up at the end of every day. Stayed on site until the job was done and took extra pains on the finishing.

Description of Work
Complete demolition of tiled bathroom walls while saving antique tile flooring. Prep walls for new tiles. Prep bathtub/ shower area with Kerdy/Schlutter system. Re-tiled all four bathroom walls in 1903 period home: subway field, decorative bands, and a fancy chair rail bullnose with extra detailing around the tub/shower area.

Work Completed On 03/20/2020

thanks for taking the time to review our company we always ❤ a great review ! it really keeps us connecting with great people that care for there homes .keep us in mind when your dreaming up your next project, it was a pleasure working with you during this new working environment were all going to be challenged with . also letting us keep our tools on site it really helped us stay on budget. thank you! also writing up a contract /with a drawing to make sure were able to deliver a one of a kind job was really nice . Hopefully your taking the time to enjoy the new look in your historical home .stay safe ...ty ty ty 💓

03/09/2020

Jill R.

My new ceramic tile is beautiful. The job was more involved than originally planned due to unforeseen water damage. McDowell and Son were reliable and professional and did an excellent job. They made sure the house stayed clean as they went along and gave me some great ideas. They truly went above and beyond and I just love how my bathroom looks. turned out. I'd definitely call them again.

Description of Work
Ceramic Tile and drywall and painting

Category ceramic tile, wallpaper removal, water damage restoration, woodworking, interior painters, floor cleaning

Work Completed On 02/03/2020

thanks [Member Name Removed] ....I'm glad your enjoying the new look! youe sharp eye and hospitality made it go so well. we enjoyed working together with you...hopefully you'll keep us in mind down the road as you take on future projects! if you wanna dream up your next one ....give me a call or text...estimate are free and I'm always in the neighborhood...thanks again for taking the time and giving us a great review...

02/25/2020

Terri H.

Excellent! Quick and fast responses! Great work. Very easy to work with! Did an amazing job and was very very easy to work and communicate with!

Description of Work
repaired tile for new dishwasher

Work Completed On 02/25/2020

ty! we love to work in small jobs in ! this one was right around the corner..to our last bid.so thanks for the great review...glad you liked the results...

01/15/2020

Carolynn P.

Never know who I can trust. McDowell's Tile was exceptional!.Very professional, on time, skillful, friendly, trustworthy. I am extremely pleased with the results. And the care and clean up shown to my floors and possessions eas excellent. .I dont think my floors have ever been this clean! They even dusted!

Description of Work
Large kitchen and foyer regrout.

Work Completed On 01/15/2020

thanks for taking the time to review our company I really love being part of a network of clients and customers friends and future possibilities...and thanks for encouraging me to go on that fishing trip ..kaylee landed a 500lb. marlyn , I would have missed out if your kind words hadn't reminded me to pull away for a moment ....ty I'll drop of my chains off Monday and give you a call if that limb is still in need of a trimming. thanks again I'm glad your enjoying the new look.

01/15/2020

Carolynn P.

Description of Work
Large kitchen and foyer regrout.

Work Completed On 01/15/2020

wow I'm in Hawaii today and couldn't imagine a nicer way to say thank you so here is my way of letting my next customer know what a review can really do ...thanks I can't wait to tell the guys..

10/02/2019

Davin T.

They did amazing work. They are absolutely worth every penny. I've been waiting to find time to do this work myself for almost a year, and Jim came in and has knocked it out in about a week and done much better work than I would have done myself. I'm so happy that we hired him to do this. Our backsplash looks amazing as does our new foyer tiling. He also did some drywall finishing work for us (mudding/taping) and it looks so great! I really couldn't be happier.

Description of Work
Tile kitchen backsplash, Tile foyer floor, drywall finishing

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/02/2019

Review for McDowell's Tile & Sons - 6430 Cheshire Dr, Dimondale, MI - 38799181

08/23/2019

Kathleen L.

I am very pleased with the results. The existing fiberglass shower was removed, as well as the ceramic tile in other area of bathroom. I purchased the tile which was my choice, McDowell Tile would have done that if that was my desire. Subway tile (4" x12") was installed floor to ceiling, octagon tile on the shower floor, and 12" x 12" floor tile on the remaining bath area. Jim McDowell is the owner of the company and is easy to work with and takes pride in doing the job right (not cutting corners/taking short cuts). He had to build part of a wall out to accommodate the change from fiberglass to tile, plus I added some additional tiling during the process. I will hire McDowell's again if/when the need arises and highly recommend him for your bathroom tiling (or remodel - he can handle more than the tiling if you wish).

Description of Work
Tile bathroom shower and floor in remainder of bathroom

Category ceramic tile, drywall, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 08/15/2019

thanks for taking the time to review our company. I really enjoyed working with you too! and hope your making time to enjoy the new shower/masterbath look with your friends and family members I'm always out looking for new projects.

05/08/2019

Jan S.

Jim did an excellent job - powder room was small and had some challenging areas. Jim also installed tile baseboard and did an excellent job around the corners where it switched to wood baseboard. We are very pleased with his work and his dedication to doing an excellent job!

Description of Work
Bathroom and hallway Tile

Work Completed On 11/05/2018

05/05/2018

Timothy S.

Really high-quality work interested in working with the customer and doing the job right. Was a little argumentative on the last day but the work quality easily outshines the professionalism.

Description of Work
Kitchen back splash

Work Completed On 03/26/2018

Thanks for the great review and thanks for sharing your experience with our company we love to make every job a one of a kind.and it never hurts to make a friend along the way. Thank you.

03/08/2018

Robin P.

The backsplash turned out so great. Jim was very focused on doing a quality job and took the time needed to make it perfect. They cleaned up well each day and I'm very happy.

Description of Work
Kitchen backsplash

Work Completed On 03/08/2018

thank you for the wonderful review !...I'm so thankful for your kind words and extra time to help me shine . if you kave any questions I'm here for ya. thank you :)

10/27/2017

Nancy B.

Excellent. Jim McDowell and Son worked a full day everyday until the project was done. Took about 4 weeks including all install and set and dry time. Laid drop cloths daily before they started work on steps on all carpet where they walked. Jim, his son and all others were very personable and professional.

Description of Work
Master bathroom upgrade. New tile shower, new tile floor, counter tops, all fixtures including lighting and mirrors, faucets, grab bar, paint and decorative glass block.

Work Completed On 10/27/2017

Review for McDowell's Tile & Sons - 6430 Cheshire Dr, Dimondale, MI - 36606076

wow your the greatest thanks for the great review ..I'd love to see it with the finishing touches. if ya can send me a pic....hope your enjoying the weather. it'[Member Information Removed] snowy today.

08/10/2017

Bettie T.

Great job. Awesome workmanship. Very professional work crew.

Description of Work
Ceramic tile floor laid in kitchen

Work Completed On 09/29/2016

08/08/2017

Molly E.

They did a great job. They were prompt, considerate, and did a beautiful job. My old tile was impossible to clean and pretty disgusting. Now it is gorgeous! I highly recommend McDowell's Tile and Sons. I already have asked them to do another job for me.

Description of Work
Jim and Joe retiled my bathroom walls. They also installed a fan and fixed and prepped and painted my non-tiled walls.

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, ceiling fans, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 08/08/2017

thanks for the great review...and I really appreciated your hospitality during the project. ...it made the job , we're looking forward to the basement renovations. .thanks again.

06/15/2017

JUDY O.

They didn't charge me. They were very courteous and all that. I think they could of said over the phone that they no longer do that type of work instead of coming out. As for the referral, it was a good referral but he just never got back with me on an estimate. He took all the measurements and looked at all the walls, just never got back with me.

Description of Work
They referred me to another man because they no longer remove wallpaper. The job was for wallpaper removal and interior painting.

Category wallpaper removal, interior painters

Work Completed On 07/23/2017

thanks for the great review ...hope your enjoying the summer and heel me in mind for future projects.

06/07/2017

Debbie E.

Jim did a great job, went above and beyond helping us with trim and mantle. He did exactly what he said he would in a very timely manner, he always came when he said he would . I will use him again for other projects. Highly recommended!! The fire place looks great!!!

Description of Work
Tiled our fireplace

Category contractors

Work Completed On 06/07/2017

Hey thanks for the great review. really enjoyed working with you. and looking forward to future projects so keep me on mind.

04/05/2017

Bettie T.

Workmanship & professionalism were great!

Description of Work
Installed stone floor tile in kitchen

Work Completed On 04/05/2017

Good morning ...thanks for taking the time to write a great review. Keep me on your list for jobs you're Interested in doing in the future...estimates are free ! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Youve Made my day.

04/03/2017

Kevin D.

did a very good job with good clean up.

Description of Work
regrout two full bathrooms

Work Completed On 03/30/2017

Review for McDowell's Tile & Sons - 6430 Cheshire Dr, Dimondale, MI - 34733057

Hey thanks for the pic and the great review! Keep us in mind when your friends and family notice.

02/02/2017

Robert K.

The business was booked up so that my job was about 5 weeks or so away from time of estimate. I don't think I nailed down well enough what was to be done as the estimate seemed to be for tiling only and not the door trim. Consequently, there was a new estimate when that became know on first day of the job. The final bill was less than the initial estimated cost, however, because I was able to help the job along in various menial ways to save their time. I also had the site well prepped before they arrived avoiding work they might have had to do: tile boxes opened and mixed, heat vents removed, baseboards removed (and i put up new board later), furniture/appliances removed. They readily do the extra work some jobs may need, and they will do it well, but the time will add up. Overall, very happy with the decision to hire them. Love the difference in my house.

Description of Work
Besides tiling, doors needed trimming to adjust to new floor height.

Work Completed On 12/07/2016

Hey thanks for the review I'm glad you enjoyed working with us on this project! You Helped a lot with many tasked to keep the cost down and made my day easier I also enjoyed your help ..thanks again and hope you'll keep us in mind for future projects.

11/17/2016

Ron G.

The work was completed in less than one day. Excellent quality.

Description of Work
Replacing tile entryway at a duplex.

Work Completed On 05/12/2016

11/17/2016

Ron G.

Mr. McDowell arranged his schedule to meet a deadline for the duplex inspection. The work was very well done with precision. The site was neat and clean when completed.

Description of Work
Replace a tile entryway to a unit in my duplex.

Work Completed On 05/12/2016

Thanks for the great review...l hope you'll keep us in mind for future projects.

11/14/2016

Amy M.

First of all, I was charged $100 for the quote. When I called, he told me that he didn't want to come out to Holt because it was a waste of gas, but that he could come out after 5pm. I told him my husband would be there at that point, I wouldn't. Interestingly enough, he told me that he would come out right away but charge me for the quote. I was told the money would come back to me if we hired Mr. McDowell. When he arrived, he tried to say that he knew me, and asked if I grew up in Holt. I told him I did not, and that I only lived there for a year. I tried the best I could to explain to him our dilemma - we didn't want to invest a lot in what we had, and we weren't quite ready to overhaul the bathroom. He basically accused me of trying to get him to tell us what to do without hiring him. He seemed annoyed by my questions, but I was just trying to really understand what it was that had to be done so I could understand if an overhaul needed to happen now. He also made comments about "coming out to talk to a beautiful woman" and how his guys would be out "before they could smell you [me] cooking dinner." I pointed out that I was off work on vacation, and actually my husband would be the one. At that point he became flustered. In the end, he gave me quote for labor, not materials.

Description of Work
Called to get a quote for work - we are an unfortunate time for a shower leak. We needed a quote to help us understand whether to repair what we have or go for a total overhaul.

Work Completed On 07/08/2016

She offered to pay me for a estimate knowing she wasn't ready for the renovation she wanted.. so I offered to put it towards the job If she moved forward with the project. And it sounds like l was misunderstood completely. Our farm is in holt and I told her I would be going the re at that time. Thanks for the review.

10/17/2016

monique F.

Was great working with them and they came over Labor Day weekend just so I could finally have a working kitchen!

Description of Work
I needed a tile backsplash put in and the job was wonderful. They even pointed out that the granite I had installed by someone else needed to be resealed so as not to cause future issues. I also needed my sink put in because a previous plumber wanted to rip apart my counter to install. They called their plumber who came right over and got the job done quickly and without tearing apart my kitchen! Loved them.

Category contractors, ceramic tile

Work Completed On 09/04/2016

Review for McDowell's Tile & Sons - 6430 Cheshire Dr, Dimondale, MI - 33726685

Hey ...thanks for the great review glad we were able to help you out with your projects ...thanks again and hope you'll keep our team in mind as project come up!