National Heating & Cooling Inc

Founded 1958 • With Angi since March 2006

23660 Grand River Ave

Detroit, MI 48219

National Heating & Cooling, Inc. is a 53 year old, customer focused heating and air conditioning company. We service and install residential and commercial furnaces, boilers, air conditioners, indoor air treatment and hot water tanks. We provide preventative maintenance contracts and our sales website offers common parts for purchase. We service the Metropolitan Detroit area; we are fully licensed and insured and are a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer. Our goal is to combine our technical experience, a commitment to safety and customer satisfaction to provide a long term working relationship with our customers....

06/16/2020

Leslie C.

They have kept our 1992, 28 year old air conditioning unit working. They show up for an appointment, they're really nice.

Description of Work
Check and maintenance service of our Air Conditioner, furnace and water heater

08/22/2018

Pei-Hsuan L.

Very good communication up until the time of the service call from the sales office. Matt, who was our Technician, was able to troubleshoot the issues with our older A/C unit and resolve promptly. Overall very satisfied and highly recommended. Thank you!!

Description of Work
A/C unit not running

07/19/2017

Brenda O.

It was an amazing experience. They were very professional. They were on time. They were very clean. They cleaned up after themselves. They took their shoes off when they came inside unless they had booties on. They laid out blankets on my hardwood floor so they wouldn't scratch it walking through. I would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Heating and air conditioning services.

06/16/2017

Lori P.

Can't say enough good things about this company. Everyone - from salespeople to installers - was great to work with. No hype, just great service at a great price. They were at the house when they said they would be, did excellent work, cleaned up when they left. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
Furnace & AC install

06/09/2016

Lynn L.

We have a 1920s house with steam heat. This has been in our family for 5 decades and during that period we have had several different companies work on our heating system. This is the one we like the very best of all of them. Their crews are very knowledgeable, very courteous, very responsive, punctual and helpful. Over the decades, at certain times the pipes would clang, loudly. It was annoying and none of the other companies had a fix for it. Ernie, from National, made a quick adjustment to the way a pipe was hanging and the pipes have never clanged since. Their service is excellent and, on top of that, their prices are quite reasonable.

Description of Work
Steam heat: The site glass was cleaned to clear and replaced. The boiler was flushed out. For several years we have had them doing our yearly maintenance - very reasonably priced.

07/07/2014

John N.

Several companies tried to service my AC system. As it is a Spacepak, most companies didn't do a very good job. Due to some poor work from other contractors, the system was overcharged to the point that the equipment was damaged. National actually fixed the problem, and the system has worked right ever since.

Description of Work
Fixed central AC.

04/16/2014

Kristopher A.

I am thoroughly pleased with the service I received from National! They even arranged their appointments to accommodate my tight schedule. Their tech, Matt, came out and did a thorough inspection on my furnace. He was prompt, knowledgeable and professional. I will definitely be using them again!

Description of Work
Performed Furnace Inspection

02/05/2014

Kevin R.

They were punctual, polite and efficient. They are good at offering the scope of their work on the front end, so you can plan accordingly. This is probably the least the 4th time they've done work for us.

Description of Work
Repaired a broken and leaking pipe in my hot water heating system. Drained the entire system, cut back and resealed pipes, restored boiler heating.

09/06/2013

Elizabeth F.

They gave me a 12,000 estimate for a 3,000 job. The guy was so stinking rude. Apparently they did not actually want the job.

Description of Work
They came out to give me an estimate.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We've pulled the records on this call and this review is very puzzling. I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I'm not sure this review is directed towards the right company. The review, with regards to punctuality and the dollar amount, do not correlate with what we have documented. Our technician arrived to the location @ 8:15 a.m. for an 8:30-9:00 a.m. appointment. Access could not be provided to us until 9:30 a.m. and we patiently waited. The impression we were given, was an offer was going to be made on the house we surveyed. An estimate was not provided, only informal budget numbers for multiple HVAC systems. We don't have a $12,000.00 figure for any of the itemized jobs. We did provide a budget number for the one 30+ year old furnace that wasn't operational, and that was $2,700.00. Our technicians pride themselves on being knowledgeable, honest, courteous and professional. There is zero tolerance for rude behavior towards a customer. This review is a stark contrast to ALL of our other reviews. We will accept criticism when warranted, but we feel there's a misunderstanding here.

06/10/2013

CLAYTON H.

The serviceman's name was Dave. He was punctual and courteous. He answered any and all questions that I had. I didn't have the opportunity to do any comparative pricing as to whether it was competitive price that I was charged. But I was satisfied with the service aspect of it. With regard to price, I don't know what other companies were charging. I don't know what the competitive rate would be. It was something that I needed to get done. I went on Angie's List and I saw their name listed. I called them up, and they came out and that was it. I didn't have the luxury of shopping around for a price. I certainly would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
I used National Heating & Cooling Inc. for my boiler. It was an emergency situation. It was cold outside; my boiler went down.

06/10/2013

MICHAEL C.

They were very professional, they got the work done as said they were going to do. I interviewed three different companies and I worked with them because they were the most professional.

Description of Work
I have used National Heating & Cooling Inc to buy new furnace.

05/20/2013

GLORIA R.

had united install by a general contractor. Contractor said unit was new, but it was 6 years old. The a/c guy also did a furnace inspection.

Description of Work
inspect a/c unit

05/13/2013

William S.

Fast installation with good user information.

Description of Work
This company came recommended and we were not disappointed. From estimate to installation to follow up the service was excellent. Will recommend without fear!

03/01/2013

Marie W.

He came sooner than expected and knew what needed to be done. Great service to start the New Year off with.

Description of Work
My furnace made loud bang when shutting off. Determinded it was because of dirty filter. Same day Consumers shut off gas due to small leak in line behind stove. He replaced connection that also connected to dryer in laundry. Relit 2 hot water tanks for me.

01/09/2013

Agnes W.

Even though I had to wait two weeks for installation, they still serviced me ahead of others that had heat , because my furnace was completely out. It was worth the wait, because the company was efficient, friendly and prompt. When I had problems trying to operate the new thermostat, and wasn't satisfied with the new vent system, they promptly and cheerfully changed everything to my satisfaction. They also, sent all the paperwork for a rebate they informed about from my energy company, and I received it within 60 days. They are the best and I plan to have them replace my air conditioner. I recommend them for anybody.

Description of Work
installed a new energy efficient furnace, chimney liner, new venting , and thermostat.

11/05/2012

Jeremy H.

I researched several boiler manufacturers and consulted with vendors and service providers before contacting National Heating and Cooling Inc. The company responded to my email inquiry for information and an installation estimate the same day. The sales representative inspected the system and was the only person to actually calculate the heating load and select a boiler based on the calculation (other service providers just looked at the existing boiler and quoted a one-for-one replacement). National Heating and Cooling Inc. proved to be the lowest cost, highest quality service provider. The installation team was supremely professional and were very willing to explain technical aspects of the installation when I asked them questions. I will use this company for all of my maintenance in the future. I highly recommend them!

Description of Work
National Heating & Cooling Inc. removed an existing, hard broke steam boiler, and installed a new steam boiler and programmable thermostat.

10/15/2012

Patricia B.

The tech was also able to date our furnace unit and when we inquired about a fall tune-up, he came right out and told us because of the age of the furnace, the only thing he would really be able to do was use a sensitive CO2 tester and that he didn't think it would be worth us paying for the tune up.We really appreciated his candidness and when the time comes to replace our furnace/air conditioner, I won't hesitate one bit to use National Heating and Cooling.

Description of Work
Our outdoor air conditioner unit was making a horrible noise. We called National to come out and investigate. The tech was very knowledgeable, and was able to give us an age on our ac unit (mid 1970's!) Due to the age of the unit, replacement parts were not going to be available and he was able to give us instruction to help with the noise problem until we needed to replace the unit.

07/09/2012

Katherine P.

They did a good job. They were not expensive. They came up very fast. I would recommend them to others.

Description of Work
I used National Heating & Cooling Inc for my furnace. They fixed the blower for my air conditioning.

06/04/2012

Marie W.

National Heating and Cooling Inc is excellent. We have used them before and will use them again.

Description of Work
I used National Heating & Cooling Inc to install a new air conditioner and for furnace repair services.

05/10/2012

David S.

The experience went well. He quickly reapired the humidifier and gladly accepted the angie's list coupon.

Description of Work
We hired the company to service our furnace's humidifier. They came to the house less than 2 hours after I called to make an appointment which was incredible. The repairman was incredibly cordial and efficient with his time.

01/06/2012

Carl F.

The gentlemen that came out said I was missing some return ducts. He installed them for free. They were fantastic. Marvelous people to work with. I will call them again.

Description of Work
They put in a furnace and replaced ducts.

12/05/2011

William G.

I was impressed when my tenent was a no show for her appointmeent, the called me to let me know what happened and then they followed up with the tenent until the job was complete. Then they immediately sent me the required paperwork.

Description of Work
Furnace Safety Inspection and Certification for Section 8.

11/30/2011

Kristine P.

In October, we called National Heating and Cooling to come out and give us an estimate. We wanted to participate in the Michigan Saves program what would allow us to get a low cost loan, and this was one of the approved vendors. We basically went through the approved vendor list for the program, and chose the highest rated vendor on Angie's list. Tim first came to our home to give us an estimate and was extremely knowledgable about the products he was selling and what we did and did not need. I feel like we got incredible value for the money we spent. Tim was also very accommodating with the loan program, and interacted with the organization well. The whole process has been totally seamless! The installers came to our home in November, and were very courteous and respectful of our space. They got the work done faster than estimated, and did a great job of cleaning up after themselves when they were done. The company had filed all of the proper permits with City Hall, and the city inspector came out and gave everything a clean bill of health. After the Thanksgiving Holiday, Tim came back out and had us sign all of the paperwork required to get our rebates. We wouldn't have known about these rebates had Tim not been so helpful and informative. He really was flexible with our work schedule and I felt like we got great service as a result.

Description of Work
They removed our old HVAC system, and installed a new furnace and Central Air along with a HEPA filtering system as per our request. They also called an electrician out to put our Central Air on a separate circuit so we could install interruptible power.

10/30/2011

April A.

I Highly recommend National Heating and Cooling!

Description of Work
I contacted National Heating and Cooling for a furnace tune up. David arrived a few minutes earlier than my scheduled appointment. I certainly appreciated his promptness. He completed the furnace tune up, and did indicate that although my furnace was not energy efficient, there weren't any problems. In the past, I had been told by another heating and cooling company, who is on your list, that I needed to replace an expensive part. Needless to say, I was extremely pleased with my outcome! David was professional, pleasant and he completed the job in 35 - 40 minutes,

07/27/2011

Shannon F.

I called due to a possible leak in my ac. Dave came out looked said he could not find one but it could be small. he said that I did have a clogged filter and that if I did not want to fix it right away, that I should just wait until spring!! I will be calling them back if not in the next week for sure in the spring. He explained everything to me and showed me what he was doing step by step.

Description of Work
Dave was great!! He made sure I understood what the problem was. Very friendly and did NOT try to sell me anything I didn't need. Will be calling them back!!