Al's Water Heater Sales & Service

Founded 1981 • With Angi since December 2006

1220 S Fletcher Rd

Chelsea, MI 48118

For over 30 years, Al's Water Heater Sales & Svc has been providing quality water heater sales, installations, and repair services to Ann Arbor and the surrounding areas. Our specialty is water heaters. We give meticulous attention to our workmanship and are committed to our customers' needs.

04/18/2022

Walter G.

Received a call less than an hour after submitting my information. He told me to check the circuit breaker for my water heater as given its age that was the most common reason for it to stop working without obvious signs of it breaking like water on the floor. This advice was correct and my hot water heater is working again. I am very grateful to him for helping us with this over the phone and with no charge. I will absolutely be using this business for any future needs. Thank you.

Description of Work
Water Heater Not Working

06/23/2019

Sean E.

Fantastic. Prompt service, diagnosed problems immediately, explained what was wrong, and got things done quickly.

Description of Work
Gas line repair and water heater replacement

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

01/10/2019

Chris B.

Everything went well I have had no issues in the 2 years with the unit

Description of Work
Install tankless hot water heater

03/20/2018

Chelsea W.

My hot water heater needed to be flushed and checked up on. Al's came out and took care of that the week I called them - could have been that day but I needed to reschedule some things at work. A few weeks later when my water heater started leaking, they came out again to check up on it - on a Sunday. They recommended it to be replaced and it got done later that week. They gave me a credit for the service call a few weeks before when they did my replacement. Al's was very punctual, professional, and friendly. I hope I don't have any other hot water heater troubles for quote a few years but I will use them again in the future!

Description of Work
Hot Water Heater Maintenance then Replacement

03/06/2018

Holly W.

Workers were professionals who charged a fair price for a good quality tank.

Description of Work
Our water heater sprung a leak and we needed someone we could trust fast to replace it

02/06/2018

ANNA M.

Came first thing in the morning. I sent photos of serial info and they were able to confirm the unit was under warranty. Provided a replacement for labor to install. Put down drop cloths to protect my floors. I appreciated that.

Description of Work
Replace water heater

08/18/2017

Brian L.

Called at 7pm or so and they were at my house at 9:30am the next morning. They explained to me how to drain it and shut off the supply lines. All work looked very tidy, they cleaned up, and were very curtious. There were a couple of things that added on to the quoted price, but I felt they were necessary.

Description of Work
40 gallon water heater replacement

07/09/2017

David B.

Al's was great - called them on Sat at 2pm when our water heater sprung a leak and they arrived with a new waterheater at 3:30 and were done at 5pm of the same day. The also did a thorough job, installing a pan under the heater to catch water if it leaks again in the future which previous installers had not bothered with. Price was about on-par from what I can tell. Very professional service and their technicians liked our dogs which was a plus (and they liked them).

Description of Work
Install of new waterheater

06/30/2017

Paul E.

I called them at 8:30 in the morning. they came out at 3:30 as scheduled and replaced my 40 gallon with a 50 gallon water heater. the entire job took about an hour and they cleaned up when they were done. they were extremely professional and courteous and I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
My water heater sprung a leak and stopped heating the water.

05/15/2017

Eric S.

Great they swapped old for new and did a great job...Vet friendy and cleaned up after they finished

Description of Work
Traded 2 water heaters for one....2-40gal for 1-50gal quick quick recovery

05/01/2017

Elyce R.

Great. They were responsive. Fast and efficient. Price includes $65 permist fee required by the City of Ann Arbor and a $50 discount coupon from Angie's list.

Description of Work
Water heater replaced.

05/01/2017

Elyce R.

The job went very well. They were very professional and knowledgeable.

Description of Work
Replace water heater

04/17/2017

Jessica H.

We called at 7am Monday morning after our old water heater died overnight, got a quote over the phone immediately from Al, and had the replacement scheduled for 10am. The installer came at 9:30am and was done within an hour and a half! He ensured our home's main floor hardwood was protected from damage with tarps, and cleaned up after himself once the work was completed. He was professional, friendly, and knowledgable. We highly recommend this company, the level of service they provided is difficult to come by.

Description of Work
40 gallon residential gas water heater replacement

Category water heater repair

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our service. We sincerely appreciate your business. Casey Ruthenberg Al's Water Heaters Sales and Service

07/25/2016

Aleta L.

This was a very easy and nice experience. The installers were very good, they did an excellent job and even moved the vent pipe up so we don't hit our heads on it any more. They were clean and did a nice job in a short amount of time. We would definitely use again and recommend them.

Description of Work
New Water heater

06/25/2016

Judith S.

I called Al's on Saturday morning at 7am because I saw water leaking from underneath my water heater in the basement. The person who answered the phone took care of business very quickly! She got me set up for a replacement on the same day! The last heater I had rusted out in the bottom and created a disaster in my basement. So, I called and they came with a new heater and replaced the old one and took it away for me....all in one hour on Saturday. I thought I'd have to wait until Monday and was worried about the leaking. They were right on time to my house. They were efficient and so very nice and helpful. They put down drop cloths in the house to wheel their cart through with the old and new heaters. I really appreciated their work, their knowledge and their good humor! Thanks!!

Description of Work
Replaced water heater with new one and took the old one.

05/24/2016

Holly W.

Technician arrived on time and did did a great job. He was thorough and took his time to evaluate recirculating system. Job site was cleaned and he made to protect our carpeting from the hose he ran from the tank to the drain

Description of Work
Flushed water heater and started dormant recirculating pump

03/25/2016

Tim N.

4/5/2016 Update: Ellie called me to follow up on this review. She apologized for any confusion and issued a $50 refund for the Angie's List coupon. I've upgraded my review scores to reflect this commitment to customer service. I've not had any issues with the water tank install and am still pleased with the quality of work. 3/25/2016: Overall, I'm satisfied with the time it took (next day service) and the installation. But I probably wouldn't recommend these folks to other people. They're not cheap and if you use them, you'll want to get everything in writing. My experience: When they originally came out in Nov, they couldn't find anything wrong with the tank. (The issue was that the tank wouldn't kick on after water was used resulting in cold water in showers. Hours later it would turn on so there would be hot water again.) They told me since they didn't find anything wrong, they would apply the $85 service call to a future visit. I lived with the problem for a few months and finally decided I needed to have it resolved. They told me it would be $400 plus labor to replace the thermostat and gas valve (they thought that might be the problem) or I could replace the whole hot water heater (< 3 years old). Feeling like the $400 might as well go towards a brand new tank, I decided to go that route. Al quoted me for a new tank. I asked him if it included pulling a permit and inspection and he told me yes. They came out the very next day and installed the tank. Installation time for the new 75 gallon tank was about 2 hours. They told me if I wanted an inspection by the city it would be $65 extra. Also, I reminded them about the $85 credit plus the $50 Angie's List coupon for a new water tank. They told me they only take one coupon; I could choose the $50 or the $85. They also told me that they looked up my previous service call and that it was over a year earlier so they really shouldn't let me use the $85 credit. I only used them once before and it was in Nov-15 (I pulled the actual invoice) but the guy (I think Al's brother) was rude and argumentative about it insisting that I was wrong.

Description of Work
In Nov-15, they came out to troubleshoot a problem with my water heater; they were unable to find anything wrong. The problem persisted and in Mar-16, I paid them to replace my 40 gallon tank with a 75 gallon tank.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Dear Mr. [Member Name Removed], Thank you for bringing the lack of communication with in our business, to my attention. I apologize for the confusion and will be speaking with both Carl and Al. Plus reviewing our discount policy and permit policies with all members of our staff. This should eliminate the problem in the future. I am so sorry that you had to experience this. This is not what our company is about. We are striving for satisfied customers, who would want to recommend us to their friends and families. I am mailing you a check for $50 for the Angie's List discount. Carl is right that we honor only one of the three discounts per heater; but this is of the three discounts offer.....Senior, veterans or angie's list. The $85 service fee, within 6 months of a new installation is deducted from the heater cost. So you should have received the $85 plus the $50 discount. We do appreciate your business, and will be correcting these problems. Thank you, Ellie Ruthenberg Manager

03/05/2016

Maadhavi R.

It went well. Service provider was professional and courteous.

Description of Work
Water heater inspection with drain and flush.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our service. We sincerely appreciate it. Al Ruthenberg and Team

12/11/2015

Elizabeth T.

We highly recommend the crew from Al's Water Heater who were professional and efficient.They arrived on time 2 hrs after we had called. They installed a new water heater in the basement and removed the old in about 2 hours. They instructed us how to light it and use it and informed us of the A2 water heater inspections. We paid $938 for the new 50 gal water heater including a $50 Angie's List coupon.

Description of Work
Installation of new Water Heater.

11/17/2015

Susan A.

Excellent. Carl was great and knowledgeable.

Description of Work
Exactly what the coupon stated: Inspect, drain, flush, adjusted heat and valves.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Thank you so much for taking the time to evaluate our service. I will pass on your compliment to Carl. Sincerely, Ellie Al's Water Heaters

11/09/2015

Carol M.

Al's Water Heater Service was recommended to us by our long-time plumber. We've had them come out to our home several times to try to repair the water heater. The serviceman, Carl, was able to keep it working for a few months, but we finally decided to replace it. The company was always responsive to our calls and had someone here within a day of the call. The new water heater was installed, the old one taken away, and the house was left very clean. We definitely recommend this provider.

Description of Work
This provider made several service calls to repair our water heater. In the end we had to replace the 13 year-old water heater with a new one.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Thank you for much for taking the time to review our service. We really appreciate it. Al Ruthenberg and Team

10/29/2015

Mary H.

I was very satisfied and felt that he was extremely honest.

Description of Work
checked water heater for noise. confirmed that it was working well.

08/05/2015

Marwan S.

Contacted Al's after pilot went out and was not able to relight it. Called them at 5 PM and showed up at exactly 9 AM the next day as promised and made sure to call 15 minutes before arrival. Dust and derbies was blocking the air intake. Very prompt, professional and informative. I would certainly use them again in the future.

Description of Work
Clean and relight pilot on water heater

Thank you so much for the review. We appreciate it. Sincerely, Al

06/18/2015

Melissa L.

Al came in and connected a hose to our water heater and adjusted flow. He ran the hose to a floor drain in our basement. The floor drain was a little slow and started backing up. We grabbed him a plunger and he got the water to go down with minimal mess. He looked over our water heater and let us know it was from '92. He recommended a Branson White for replacement when ours goes. He gave us a few things to look out for to indicate it was on its way out. Al wrote us up a receipt and gave us a sticker to put on our water heater. Very professional and friendly.

Description of Work
Al flushed an inspected our '92 water heater. He let us know that based on it's age that we should start saving up for a new one. He recommended a brand for replacement.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Thank you for taking the time to send in a review. We appreciate your business. Sincerely, Al

06/17/2015

Sarah W.

Al was prompt in returning my call to schedule, and also arrived prompt on the day of the appointment. He was efficient and courteous.

Description of Work
Maintained and flushed hot water heater.

Thank you for the review. We appreciate you taking the time. Sincerely, AL

Mr Rooter Plumbing Of Irish Hills

At Mr. Rooter® Plumbing every customer’s individual needs are important. Whether it’s a simple sink clog or a damaged sewer line, you can count on a Mr. Rooter plumber to take care of your plumbing needs – day or night – with never an overtime charge. Our professional service, quality products and honest, up-front pricing make Mr. Rooter the best value in plumbing services nationwide. Mr. Rooter is ready for all emergency plumbing issues, from clogged drains and sewage backups to frozen pipes and leaking water heaters. You can count on an expert diagnosis from Mr. Rooter with our camera inspection tools. Then we’ll fix it right the first time, whether it takes HydroScrub® drain cleaning or trenchless pipe repair, with courteous smiles on our faces. There's a reason they call us Mr.® Call your local Mr. Rooter today.

Fantasy Heating And Cooling

Offering affordable heating and cooling services including tune-ups, repair, and replacement. Founded on the idea of high quality customer experience at a low cost isn't just a fantasy, it's Fantasy Heating and Cooling! Coming from 10 years in the HVAC industry we strive to offer the best solutions to all of your HVAC needs. Offering 24 Hour emergency services.

Garner Heating & Cooling

When your home heating or cooling system isn't functioning properly, it can be uncomfortable. Save yourself the time and hassle of a system breakdown. Rely on our experts for HVAC sales, service, and repair.

Offers by Garner Heating & Cooling on Angi
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express
    $10

Water heater diagnosis, repairs, sales, & installation.