Koch & White Heating & Cooling

Founded 1934 • With Angi since October 2007

2608 W Liberty

Ann Arbor, MI 48103

Award winning. Additional contact name - Randy Breier President...

09/27/2018

Joan R.

Air conditioner just needed repair, and furnace was checked at same visit.

Description of Work
Check air conditioner to see if it needed repair or a new air conditioner, and check furnace

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thanks so much for using Koch & White for your heating and cooling needs! We truly appreciate your business!

02/13/2018

Robert K.

Because our furnace was dead, and we were without heat, Koch & White moved our install up. I can't say enough about the professionalism of their staff in the office and their install crews. The install team worked quickly, cleanly and everything looks stellar. Our new furnace has been humming for a week now and we couldn't be happier. By the way, we got 5 quotes for the work and Koch & White are the only company offering a 10-year parts & labor warranty as well as annual visits after the first year. You can't find anyone that comes even close to that.

Description of Work
Koch & White installed a new high efficiency furnace after our 1960's unit finally died. The salesman, Matt, spent the good part of an hour at our house, not only inspecting the basement for issues that might impact the install, but asking us about what we needed and our lifestyle so that he could offer us equipment we would actually use.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much for your review and your positive feedback. Thank you for allowing Koch & White to be your HVAC provider and we look forward to servicing your equipment in the future.

10/04/2017

Olivia F.

I have a contract for heating. I've been using them for at least 10 years and I've been very pleased with them. They're reliable, on time, honest. They give you a fair assessment about the situation and price. I just feel very confident in their work. The contract is like $200 for twice a year for the furnace and heating and fire. I would use them if I had problems for any other heating and air conditioning problems. They're the only person, I would call. When they came to do the repair work that was covered by the contract fee.

Description of Work
They did regular maintenance.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much for the positive feedback and allowing Koch & White to service your HVAC for so long. We strive to do exactly what you've described. We appreciate your business

09/19/2017

Janet K.

This is who I've used for several years, they do the inspections and any repairs. I'd give them all "A's" down the line. Their price seemed fair. Their quality is good. We get a window but they always hit it.

Description of Work
Air conditioner repair.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much for your review! Thank you for allowing us to be your HVAC provider!

09/14/2017

Mary R.

We have been using them since 2012. They are not cheap but they are good. They do really good work. They come out when we need them. They are very nice. They are not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. They were here ten minutes before our appointment time.

Description of Work
They came this month for a service check. It was the annual furnace and air conditioning check to make sure everything is working. They checked the humidifier and we had a squeak somewhere in our system and they figured that out.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your business! Thank you for allowing us to be your HVAC maintenance provider for so many years!

07/26/2017

Grace Y.

Koch and White was fine as an HVAC provider until this spring. The technician for the air conditioner was pleasant but left a pipe open and the coolant leaked out. Repaired two weeks later free-of-charge. A different technician, also pleasant, lit the pilot light on the water heater but when we heard strange sounds, I agreed to replace it in 5-1/2 days. He forgot to order the new water heater; the same day I discovered that, the water heater leaked badly. The water heater was replaced two days later but they didn't have the right part for a city-mandated plug in the pan underneath. I called yesterday (Day 11) and am waiting to hear. Also did not receive a discount for the water heater inconvenience.

Description of Work
Routine check of air conditioner, June 2017. Repair and ultimately replace water header, July 2017.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

We are so sorry to hear that you've had difficulties dealing with your water heater installation. I've asked that our Service Manager reach out to you and hopefully we are able to make things right again. Please accept our apologies and thank you for leaving this review. Your satisfaction is priority and to hear things did not go smoothly is not what we want to hear.

02/13/2017

Susan U.

The service was good. I thought their prices were a bit high. I don't know if I'd use them again, but they did a good job and they got my furnace working. One person came out. He seemed very qualified and knowledgeable. He seem to know what he was doing.

Description of Work
They fixed my furnace. It was $300 for parts and labor.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

I am glad we could get your heat going on a weekend, using a temporary part until the OEM part was picked up and installed Monday. I am sorry you thought the price was high, but considering it was a emergency call on a weekend we do charge more for this service.

01/16/2017

Aaron E.

Not the best quote money-wise, not many hot water boiler systems installed similar to what they quoted. Ultimately did not choose, but the quoting process went well.

Description of Work
Quote for space heating boiler replacement.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We definitely appreciate your feedback. We are sorry we were unable to meet your needs but hope you might consider us in the future.

12/15/2015

Mary R.

They were very professional. I couldn't get a date right away so they kept my old furnace running for no extra charge until the scheduled replacement. When the day came, they worked very hard and did an excellent job. One guy was able to tell me everything about the furnace, answer all of my questions, showed me maintenance, and made suggestions I could take to save energy. I can't imagine a better interaction and would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Replaced furnace

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so pleased you are happy with your new install! Thank you for allowing Koch & White the opportunity to serve you and we look forward to the future!

08/18/2015

Patrick R.

Outstanding! I called and set up a service call for the following day. They called back a little later and offered me a same day appointment due to a cancellation which I accepted! I had water leaking from my central a/c unit into the basement filling up several beach towels a day with all the water. The technician diagnosed and remedied the problem in a total of 10-15 minutes. I was expecting the repair to cost hundreds of dollars and when the bill was presented at $89 I couldn't pay it fast enough for fear he would rescind it! In fact they typically charge $85 just for the service trip. Amazing.

Description of Work
Fixed central a/c leaking water in basement.

05/22/2015

Jeanne R.

It started when I had the heating company I have used for 20 years or more come to check my furnace for the winter. The tech diagnosed a bad heat exchanger. He tried to show me where it was damaged. I could see something but it was hard with his hand and head in the way. I accepted his diagnosis. But he said the law said he would have to shut the furnace down because it was dangerous. However, if I signed a legal document he had, he could leave it on for about 10 days. I signed the document. Then for some reason he cut out a large square of metal from the outside of the furnace on the back and wanted me to see the damaged heat exchanger that way. He insisted I needed a new furnace because my brand only lasted about 20 or 22 years and if the heat exchanger was replaced something else might go wrong. I cannot argue with that but I wanted to see what my options were and get other estimates. Well, then he tacked on about $80 extra dollars for cutting out the metal square in the back of the furnace in addition to the maintenance charges. I had several companies come to give me an estimate. They all wanted me to buy a new furnace because mine is 16 years old and something else could go wrong. I took a chance when Koch and White said they thought a heat exchanger would last more years. So I will have to wait for the results of that. They also questioned why my first company tech had cut out the metal on the furnace. They could see no reason to do so. There was no pressure to buy a new furnace. Their prices were reasonable compared to the other estimates I received and I liked the tone of the employees I spoke to. I will just have to wait and see how long the furnace will continue, but it has given me no trouble this winter.

Description of Work
Replaced a furnace heat exchanger.

04/28/2015

Jonathan B.

I attempted to use another firm to replace my evaporator coil which was still under warranty. For some reason they would not deal with a Livonia supplier that carried this particular brand. I asked who else might do the work and they recommended Koch and White. I was familiar with them from earlier work and estimates and needed to get this job done on a timely basis, so I called them. They took a couple of days to locate the part and then called to set up the appointment. I was given a window of 9AM to 1PM for the arrival of the tech person, with the possibility of several hours being needed to do the replacement job. The tech person called about 11AM to tell me he would arrive in 30 minutes. When he arrived, he surveyed the furnace and coil, backed the refrigerant out of the coil and proceeded with the job. The tech noted that the original installer from a different company had incorrectly soldered instead of braised the copper joints leading to the coil, so he re-did all of those joints to "bring it up to code". It did smell the house up for a while, but it was not unbearable. After running a 10 minute test on the system, the tech person cleaned up everything, produced the bill, and accepted credit card payment. I only had to pay for the labor costs with Koch and White handling the warranty costs through the evaporator coil manufacturer. That was nice. The tech unsuccessfully attempted to send me a copy of the receipt via email, so I had to call the company the next day to get it re-sent. The total job took about 3.5 hours. The tech person was very professional, answering questions I had and kept the work area (carpeted lower level) free of soiling. He wore boot covers whenever he entered the house and used the lower level door nearest the work to minimize interruptions to me.

Description of Work
They replaced my AC evaporator coil which was leaking.

03/14/2015

Cathy N.

I have used Koch and White for 14 years to maintain and repair the HVAC units at my business and they've always been responsive and professional. I had a problem with my 4.5 year old home heating unit which would intermittently turn itself off for no discernable reason randomly. This problem started in Oct, 2014 and I had the local HVAC company who installed the unit out several times over a 4 month period, many parts replaced, but no specific diagnosis. Their suggestion was to spend $3000+ to replace the old zoning system in the house, stating that it was undersized and due to its old fashioned design (or malfunction) the furnace was overheating and turning off. I had Sid from Koch and White out to the house for a second opinion. He spent 9 hours over 3 visits to the house in one week and was able to identify the actual problem (blower motor module malfunction) which has been fixed and the furnace is now functioning perfectly. The difference between the two companies was night and day. One was committed to identifying and solving the problem, the other behaved as if they were doing me a favor (and charging me for it) to work me into their overly busy schedule.

Description of Work
Replaced multiple fuses, control board, and transformer in heating system at my business

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Hello [member name removed], I am so sorry it took us so long to figure out the problem, but sometimes it happens. Intermittent problems are the toughest to fix with out just being a parts changer.

12/23/2014

Laurie S.

Great as always. We have them prep our AC in the spring as well, have for 8 years. Highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Assessed and prepped furnace for winter.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for the nice review, it is nice to have customers like you!! I hope you have a great holiday.

10/14/2014

Roger M.

Very professional crew. We were completely happy with the work.

Description of Work
Installed emergency generator

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, generator service

10/13/2014

Margaret Y.

After a bad experience with a different company, I called Koch and White, which is what I should have done in the first place. They sent out someone to give me a no-cost estimate on my job. Good thing he did, because he noticed some things that needed updating. For example, my older water heater had a 3 inch pipe, while the code is now 4 inch. (I knew about this code change, so no surprise there.) By doing the estimate, he was able to tell me what to expect and how much it would cost. On the day of installation, two very professional, very personable men came to install the new hot water heater. They were careful of my house, using drop cloths the whole way, even though they were just going into an unfinished basement. I was home and working the whole time, so they didn't play a radio or do anything noisy (other than the normal noise of their job). At the end, I compared prices between Koch and White and another, "cheaper" company. Guess what? Koch and White's prices were lower than the other guy. Koch and White are an institution in Ann Arbor, and I can see why.

Description of Work
They replaced my hot water heater.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

Thank you for the review and choosing Koch & White to do the water heater install for you.

06/24/2014

Eric H.

Awesome company. Referred to by friends. Replaced my a/c completely, very neatly done, and have followed up yearly and systematically as promised with their 5 year included checkups. Also spent time on the phone with me with my wild ideas on tweaking my circulation system for using cool air in the basement. They even proposed a new better idea which would have to be custom made but they could do it!

Description of Work
New a/c and custom work support

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Wow what a nice review, Thank you (Member name removed).

06/21/2014

Woojin S.

Replaced 2 AA batteries and charged $85. Glad to see the AC working, but not happy to be charged $85 for changing 2 AA batteries.

Description of Work
Changed 2 AA batteries for $85.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

I am sorry for your bad experience with Koch & White. We do charge a service fee of $85.00 (to dispatch a truck to your address). I do understand you your comment, Please call me so we can discuss this charge.

06/06/2014

Laurie K.

The representative did a good job of explaining how the system would work and how a two-stage furnace would perform better than what we had now. They also explained about how the pipe would need to be angled and how they needed a place to discharge water. The installation went as scheduled and the results have been good. The company was very helpful about putting the pipes in a place that was not visible in the living area in our basement. They did all the carpentry needed so that we did not have to hire a separate carpenter.

Description of Work
The provider installed a high-efficiency furnace and air conditioner.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your review, it is much appreciated.

06/04/2014

Mark N.

Awesome. They came the next morning (I called about 5pm the day before), and they were totally thorough, did all the repairs on the spot, even though it was a 2 hour job.

Description of Work
The house had never had a stove hooked up; they came and inspected the gas lines, and replaced most of it after detecting leaks in the existing setup. Also detached an ancient incinerator in basement from the gas lines so I could have it removed.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much for the glowing review.

05/07/2014

Sheryl P.

The team showed up on time, left no mess, and I hope it works (once it is hot enough to turn on :)).

Description of Work
Install airconditioner.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for the review, I am sure your a/c system will work great. If it does not or you have questions please call.

05/06/2014

David S.

We got three or four estimates for a new furnace and it came down to two companies who offered what is essentially the same product under two different nameplates. The Koch & White brand was one we were more familiar with, and since we've had our old furnace serviced well by K&W in the past, we deiced to stick with the tried and true. We've had some bad encounters with HVAC companies before -- including one that has a very good reputation in Ann Arbor -- but Koch & White has proven to be honest, trustworthy and knowledgeable. I've recommended them to many friends.

Description of Work
Installed a new furnace.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your glowing review. If you have questions or concerns please call

04/11/2014

Jennifer M.

Everything went smoothly from the start. I emailed from their website to request an appointment and they got back to me the same day. The day of work the tech was running late and the office called to let me know. Steve, the tech, was awesome! Nice, knowledgeable and thoroughly explained everything he was doing. Will definitely call again if needed.

Description of Work
Replaced blown circuit board, added 4" filter slot, replaced quite a bit of ductwork and PVC piping to/from furnace.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you so much for the glowing review.

04/09/2014

Barry J.

Repairman came very quickly. Actual problem was clear to me, confirmed by him. He had the necessary part and replacement was done very quickly, no problems.

Description of Work
Furnace repair: replaced igniter.

04/07/2014

Carole M.

Very well: Professional sales staff, Very informative regarding furnace options. Efficient and professional service staff. They covered the floor to the furnace area to prevent damage to flooring. When they finished, the work area was cleaned. Informed me about operating the furnace. All manuals were placed in plastic and attached to the furnace for safe keeping. Very impressed with the extended service offered by Koch and White. All in all we are vary happy wit the performance of our new furnace. The comfort or our home can be maintained at a more even, and lower temperature.

Description of Work
Provider installed new Carrier Furnace

Ecotelligent Homes

At Ecotelligent Homes we specialize in performing comprehensive home energy audits & installing customized energy efficiency improvements such as, insulation and heating & cooling. Our certified energy auditors identify the root cause of your homes unique comfort concerns and our skilled team installs cellulose and spray foam insulation to ENERGY STAR standards along with high efficiency heating & cooling equipment . As award winning trade allies of both DTE Energy's & Consumers Energy's Home Performance programs we help customers maximize available rebates.

Offers by Ecotelligent Homes on Angi
    AMISTEE AIR DUCT CLEANING & INSULATION

Our specialty is quality, professional air duct cleaning, and insulation services with the very best equipment in the industry. We use state of the art vacuum trucks specifically made for duct cleaning. These trucks pull an amazing 17,000 cubic feet of air per minute, removing dust, allergens, debris and pet dander from your duct system. We're committed to doing right by our customers. See for yourself and call us today at (248) 349-8877 or visit us online at www.amistee.com!

Offers by AMISTEE AIR DUCT CLEANING & INSULATION on Angi
    Lakeside Service Company

Lakeside Service Company is a Michigan licensed heating and cooling installation/repair service located in Livingston County. We have been in business since 1983 and our success is attributed to our commitment to team member education and our 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. Give us a call today to find out more about what we offer. Commercial or residential, our technicians can service any heating and cooling system. Our number one priority is customer service, getting the job done right the first time, every time. Depend on Lakeside Heating and cooling to keep you comfortable in the Brighton, Howell, and surrounding areas. Call us or use our handy request service form to schedule an appointment with our heating and cooling technicians. With over 38 years of experience, Lakeside’s heating and cooling services will keep your home or business feeling comfortable year round by ensuring that your comfort systems are efficient and effective.

Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Check, Financing Available

Residential & Commercial Sales, Repair & Replacement of AC & Furnace, Water Heaters, Boilers, Guardian & Honeywell Generators. Free estimates for equipment replacement. After Hours Emergency Service.

We do not service Lennox pulse furnaces.