I Drive Smart

Founded 2004 • With Angi since June 2012

2600 Tower Oaks Blvd

Rockville, MD 20852

I Drive Smart is the premier driver-education company in the region. We are the only company where police officers provide 100% of the instruction. That’s right, driver’s ed taught by cops! Our top priority is smart decisions, good judgment, and creating a safe driver for life. The best evidence that our approach works is that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found in 2015 that students trained by other programs were cited 54% more often for moving violations than I Drive Smart alumni. Our state-of-the-art online system streamlines the process, from registration to scheduling to certification, creating a hassle-free experience for busy parents. Check our schedules online (www.idrivesmart.com) to find a convenient location and time (including evenings and weekends) for your student to take in-class or behind-the-wheel instruction...or call us at 855-IDS-COPS....

03/17/2022

JAQUELINE B.

No complains about the instructor 100% satisfied. But the central office Customer Service is awful! I never encounter that kind of service. Very condescending people. Also one of them I think was the supervisor LIED to me telling me that she told me on the voicemail form 01/23 that I have to 72 hours to reschedule and to provided 2 Covid test results, when I told her that I do not recall that you mention that, she said the "bottom line is" she realized that she lied to me and tried to move on, thanks God I still have that voicemail from 01/23 and only said that to reschedule I have to paid the $99 fee. The terms say that but nothing about that I have to pay the fee if sick. My Daughter had fever 102 that day and the email confirmation said stay home if any Covid-19 symptoms. But they do not care, you have to pay no matter what. also the other Lady who answer when I called right back was even worse she was explained to me and read the terms and when I said yes but she was sick and than she dare to talk to me in a very Demeaning, humiliating racist tone saying "can you understand?" "do you understand?" I know that English is my second Language but YES I can understand and read English! They are taking advantage of the situation because they know your child needs to complete the courses no matter what and you'll pay regardless.

Description of Work
Driving courses

01/18/2019

Julie S.

As soon as my sons were old enough to get their learner's permits we bought a package that included the required classroom instruction plus six behind the wheel sessions each for two kids. Scheduling the actual sessions was difficult, the dates and times in Arlington are limited and they fill up fast. It turns out that the company likes it that way -- if you don't finish the classroom instruction and all of the driver sessions within two years, they are done and they keep the money. This is in the "Terms and Conditions," also known as the fine print, so their lawyers tell them they're good. Don't you love it when companies keep your money without delivering a service because they put something in the fine print?

Description of Work
Behind the wheel driver training for teenagers

Category drivers ed

Hi Ms. [Member Name Removed]: Sorry to read the review. Our terms are clearly outlined on our site and incorporated into all student user accounts for review anytime. Plus we send notifications about the process and have all dates indicated in student user accounts. We do allow students to complete all training two years from the date of purchase and even after two years clients can reinstate their accounts and never lose credit for any of their state certified training. Clients are required to read and agree to all the terms and conditions before any purchase can be made. Families we hear, love that we allow so much time to complete the training and don't force students through the process. We are the only company in the region that provides this much time. Our training is in high demand because we follow all DMV and State Regulations and work individually with each student. Happy to discuss further if you would like to call me in the office at 855.IDS.COPS. Sincerely, Tom Pecoraro, President

09/27/2017

J Robert M.

Overall, the instructors were excellent. One, would not let the students turn right on red which I find odd since it is legal and it would have been beneficial for them to learn how to do it safely. It also would have been helpful if the instructor's badge number was included in the student's account for each class. That would have allowed me to sign up for the same instructor for subsequent classes.

Description of Work
Provided behind the wheel driving classes for my children.

09/20/2017

Robin C.

I really liked the ease of booking sessions on the website and all the electronic reminders about classes. It was nice to know the cars were all company owned and well-marked and that the instructors were all former cops. It was also nice to be able to review the class notes and comments from each of the instructors and the feedback my daughter received was helpful. This driving program is definitely more expensive than the others and I'm not sure that it was worth it, as I didn't hear of them doing anything different than all the other driving schools. My daughter seemed to have a lot more driving experience than the others she rode with and observed, so maybe that was why she didn't get as much instruction or learn anything new.

Description of Work
driving instruction

08/04/2017

Caroline H.

The summer classes scheduled at my daughter's school in Alexandria, Va were fine. We purchased a package which included Behind the Wheel instruction as well. As my daughter's Senior Year offered very little free time, she was unable to find open time slots in the eastern part of Fairfax County which matched her free time. When we attempted to schedule this summer, we were told the contract period had expired and could either pay a $189 reactivation fee or purchase more classes. When I explained to the young woman that we had purchased instruction time which was never used, and the reason why, she said she was unable to help us. As my daughter is not 18 and doesn't need the instruction time, i told her u was only interested in one hour of time of my already purchased instruction time. I gave her every opportunity to offer some assistance and explained I had therefore thrown money away. She admitted they don't have enough instructors in this area and have had this problem frequently lately. I pointed out they are selling a package which is difficult to use. They were completely unwilling to offer even one hour of instruction time to us. BEWARE of this company. You are better off with a company which offers more options in northern Virginia. The smaller company we used for our son was much better and came and picked him up at our home. We only used Drive Smart because they offered the Driver's Ed classes at her school. The inflexibility of Drive Smart is highly unprofessional!

Description of Work
Driver' Education classes and instruction

12/26/2016

Macara L.

IDS was responsive and flexible when we needed to change appointments on short notice. While we were responsible for paying for the lesson if we cancelled within 3 days of the scheduled lesson, they always sent a notice out to clients advertising the slot so that someone else could fill it and we wouldn't be out the money or the time. Instructors were professional and punctual, and they provided good feedback/advice to my daughter and me after each of her lessons.

Description of Work
Driving instruction for new driver.

11/14/2016

samantha F.

Josh is the VP in California and he is the nicest, most responsive, and caring person I could have hoped for. I call him all the time to ask questions and he is so patient and excited to help. All their instructors are either current or retired police officers. Our daughter loved her instructor which is shock for a 15 year to like a policeman! Ha ha.

Description of Work
They are helping train our daughter learn to drive.

09/04/2015

ANTONIA B.

Ours is a VERY SATISFIED I Drive Smart alum family. My now-19 year old son completed the IDS course in Maryland during the summer between his sophomore and senior years in high school. Now it is time for my 16 year old daughter to learn to drive and to be perfectly honest, that thought scares me a little. Which is why I am absolutely over the moon that I Drive Smart has branched out to bring their unparalleled level of driver's training to our new hometown in southern California. Well, they're not exactly in our new home town, more like a 90 minute drive south of us. IT'S WORTH IT! That is how good these folks do their job: as a busy entrepreneur, mother, wife etc, I did not even think twice about the distance when we learned about IDS in SoCal. They are THAT good. And the need for my daughter to become an excellent driver is THAT important. A bit of background: We were introduced to IDS when they made a presentation at my kids high school on Silver Spring MD. I was impressed with the program philosophy, instructor experience and materials this program offered. That police officers teach the course is a bonus on several levels. My daughter is eager to drive but not so much that she is really engaged in the process when I chauffeur her around town. As opposed to her brother who asked thoughtful questions about the mechanics, laws, and culture of operating a motor vehicle each time he we got in the car. As he progressed through the IDS training his questions became more sophisticated, his Behind The Wheel confidence skyrocketed without approaching arrogance, and his respect for the responsibility of driving a car was obvious. I mention this to illustrate my upcoming point: THE PRESENCE OFI DRIVE SMART IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, IS THE ONLY REASON MY DAUGHTER (FABULOUS AS SHE IS IN SO MANY OTHER AREAS) GETS TO PURSUE HER DRIVERS LICENSE. IDS is the only program with which I feel completely safe entrusting this huge responsibility of guiding my daughters evolution from passenger to responsible, safe and excellent driver. This is a position I take with with 100% confidence after witnessing the competent and yes, smart - very smart - driver that my son became. We have only great things to say about this course. Yes, it was among the more expensive options back in Maryland, but it was much cheaper than the hours therapy or pounds of cheesecake required to otherwise calm my nerves as my cherished children grew into drivers. I Drive Smart is one of the best decisions made by our family!

Description of Work
With IDS my son learned to become a responsible and excellent driver.

Category drivers ed

Thank you so much for sharing, [Member name removed]! We are so happy that you are happy with our services!

08/03/2015

Kim B.

Excellent, excellent organization! Both of our sons learned how to drive with I Drive Smart and it was a great experience for both of them. The instructors were professional but nice and helpful. You are able to order extra sessions, which we did, especially for driving at night. Most importantly, both of them passed their driver's road tests on the first try and with flying colors! And we know it's all because of the high quality instructors at IDS. In fact, we know some kids that used other driving schools and they have had to take the road test a few times to finally pass. We also highly recommend signing up for the Pre-Driving Test session which takes the students through what the actual driving test will be like. This last one is a separate fee and a little expensive, but if you can afford it, it is worth every penny! You won't be sorry.

Description of Work
Taught our sons how to drive.

Category drivers ed

We were delighted to read your comments, [Member name removed]. Thank you for taking the time to share these.

07/22/2015

Jack C.

Thanks for your response! Thanks for clarifying that you provide behind-the-wheel training as part of the fee, not as something extra. As I noted, I would use your service again.

Description of Work
The 10 day, 3 hr/day classroom course was taught by police officers so the material was accurate, but some of the instructors seemed more effective than others, and it was expensive compared to other such classes. Ultimately it was effective in teaching the students what they need to know to pass their written driver's test. According to my daughter who took the class, some of the instructors were interesting and funny while some were very dull and didn't give adequate breaks. Several of the instructors went off on tangents, telling stories. Some of them told amusing stories, which I suppose is good if it helps keep a bunch of high school students engaged, but that wasn't the case with all the instructors. I'm not clear on why it takes 30 hours and $600 to learn driving before you even get in a car, but Maryland requires classroom training so you don't have a lot of choice.

Category drivers ed

We appreciate your comments, {Member's name}. We should clarify a couple of things that appear not to be clear from your review: 1. We do not choose to set the in-class training requirement at 30 hours. This is mandated by the state MVA, and we abide by this regulation. 2. We will soon implement an online rating system to allow our clients to provide timely and specific feedback about instructors. This will not only provide a forum for clients to share some of the input that you shared, but we will also use this feedback to provide guidance to our instructors, improve training, and make changes as needed. 3. The $600 fee not only covers the cost of the class but also all of the state-mandated behind-the-wheel training (three sessions @ two hours each). Neither the state nor IDS mandates that a student complete the classroom training prior to doing in-car training. We feel that it is beneficial to at least attend the first unit before starting the in-car training, but this is not a strict requirement. A student can begin the behind-the-wheel training with us as soon as he or she has loaded the valid permit information into the account. 4. While we cost more than most competitors, we operate at an entirely different level. We pay our instructors, who are all active-duty or retired police, about 2-3 times more than the competition, and this is the source for our price premium. In return, clients receive training from experienced officers who deliver professional instruction, share their real-world experiences, and provide valuable tips for being safe on the road. Our focus is on creating a safe driver for life and not simply punching tickets so that someone can get a license. A soon-to-be published study from an independent national safety organization found that students trained by other programs were cited for moving violations 54% more often than our alumni, a massive difference, so we know that our approach works, producing better-trained and safer drivers!
    Drivers Education
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, Financing Available, Discover, American Express

Drivers Education Services and Safe Driver Training Advanced Driver Training/SkidCar Manual Transmission Training Senior Refresher Training Corporate Driver Training Classroom Instruction Personalized Behind-the-Wheel Instruction

Ask for details.