Fine Earth Landscape Inc

Founded 1977 • With Angi since September 2005

16815 Budd Road

Poolesville, MD 20837

We are a full service landscape design/build and maintenance company for residential work. We have a niche in building large retaining walls commercially. We take pride in our customer service and follow through on all warranty issues that arise. We have won over 100 regional and national awards

10/02/2020

Zarema A.

They are great and did an amazing service, very responsive, reasonable and great quality work.

Description of Work
They did a landscaping work.

06/23/2018

Kim S.

I worked with Bernie Mihm from Fine Earth, and had an excellent experience with the whole project. Fine Earth responded quickly to my request related to three potential projects. After a helpful discussion of the pros/cons of one project (converting my asphalt driveway into a permeable surface driveway), I opted to go forward with just two. Bernie's advice was extremely useful (and I appreciated his honest assessment, even though that ultimately meant they made less money on the project). Fine Earth's estimate was not the cheapest option, but I went with them because I felt greater confidence they would be able to do the job the way I wanted (i.e., being very careful not to impact the tree on my property) I contracted with Fine Earth to remove an unused parking area on my property, and fill with dirt for planting and secondly, to build a frog pond. Although I took some time to make a decision, once I reached out with my decision, Fine Earth was very responsive and immediately let me know when they were available to do the job. They showed up and got the work done on the timeline they'd announced, and I appreciated their punctuality. Bernie again was helpful in advising on the positioning of the pond, and making sure they got the depth right (frogs need a certain depth to use the pond through the winter). The end result looks great! Bernie was also quite helpful in delivering an extra pallet of stone without a surcharge for my use in another DIY project. I definitely plan to go with Fine Earth again in future projects.

Description of Work
Built a frog pond

Category excavators, landscaping

02/28/2017

Marilyn W.

The workmen from Fine Earth Landscaping were talented stone cutters, creative in placement of stones, extremely neat, hard working and very pleasant while working at our home. Fine Earth went way above my expectation in completing this stone walkway project.

Description of Work
Construction of an irregular flagstone walkway and refinish a side step.

Category hardscaping

08/26/2015

Sean K.

Very well. True professionals. In my 30 years in home building business, this is the first time a contractor has impressed me enough to get motivated to write a comment.

Description of Work
Landscape and hardscape

11/17/2014

Antonia G.

I really like the work they did. They did a wonderful job. They know what they are doing.

Description of Work
I had them perform the maintenance of my yard for two months.

Category lawn service

06/10/2014

Charles C.

Bernie is a great guy and a true professional. He has come up with some innovative ideas to solve my problem.

Description of Work
Providing an estimate and ideas to fix my drainage problem.

05/02/2014

Lindsay M.

They are great. I've been working with them for 30 years.

Description of Work
They came out a few weeks ago to give me an estimate for some work I need to have done.

Category landscaping, lawn service

03/03/2014

Leigh C.

When some of the plants did not do well, they replanted other items at no additional cost.

Description of Work
Made recommendations, planted beds and improved a slate walkway

03/28/2013

Shelly B.

I have been working with her for 10 years and I'm very happy with her designs. She is extremely busy but she is easy to schedule with and very pleasant.

Description of Work
We did some landscape planning, replanting and adding some new things.

10/19/2012

Enlai W.

Please read above. It went great.

Description of Work
Joel's team came out and provided us with a detailed plan on the recommended updates for the front of our home. Although the plans were beautiful, the price was a bit above my budget. Joel was able to simplify the design and work within my budget to get the what we were looking for! We were very excited to get started. Joel's team came out the following week and installed a stone retaining and completely renovated the landscaping in the front. He also regraded my front lawn as well. The outcome was a beautiful design for the price I could afford. Any questions or concerns I had were directly addressed with minimal headache. This was greatly appreciated. Our neighbors all love the new design and have even asked for his card. I would definitely work with Joel again. I highly recommend!

Category landscaping, lawn treatment, hardscaping

Thank you for the opportunity to work with you and your family. It was a pleasure and I look forward to our continued relationship. Let me know if I can help you further in any way.

07/23/2012

Nancy S.

Joel's ideas were wonderful and his team installed everything right away. The landscaping crew is so hard working. They stayed late into the night very iften until they were done. We are so pleased with everything. We have used them for two years and would not consider using anyone else. They maintain all the trees and bushes without my having to call or remind anyone

Description of Work
Joel of Fine Earth is so amazing to deal with. He is extremely knowledgeable and creative. He responds immediately to phone calls and emails. His team ia also great. They landscaped my entire house and did the pavers around the pool, on my driveway and on both sides of the house.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Thank you so much for the kind words. I have enjoyed working with you and Rob over the past several years and look forward to our continued relationship. If there is anything I can do to further help, let me know

11/16/2011

Amy D.

It went very well. One comment is that the communication with our point person durring the construction could have been improved.

Description of Work
We were very pleased with the work of Fine Earth. The project was to raise a road to door level providing a universal design entrance to the church and landscaping. They had a small window of time in which to start and finish the project.

09/02/2011

Richard R.

We are meeting with them next Tuesday to discuss their design. It is kind of a multiple stage plan but the interactions we have had so far get high marks from me. They followed through the way we requested, they are open to our ideas and they are timely. They followed the timeline and did what they said they would do. They provided us with a plot plan and then submitted estimates of what we would do. They basically designed our whole yard so when we do it there will be a strategy of where to plant things. They met deadlines, were very professional and were easy to talk to. I will continue to use this company.

Description of Work
I used Fine Earth Landscape to do a landscape design plan.

08/25/2011

Sharon W.

The design, landscape and stone work was excellent. There was a little problem with responsiveness as they seem to be very busy. I like their services and will use the same in future.

Description of Work
I used the services of Fine Earth Landscape Inc. for landscaping and hardscaping, in June, 2011.

08/23/2011

Lesley B.

Bernie was professional, prompt and provided high quality trees which exactly met our needs. His follow up is impressive - he checked back in several times and provided suggestions on how to care for the trees through the winter and spring.

Description of Work
Fine Earth planted several large Leyland fir trees in our yard to provide some privacy from a school at the back of our house. Bernie did an outstanding job - from the estimate to following through on ensuring the trees were growing well a year later.

03/09/2011

Diane N.

I use them all the time; they are my landscapers. They also do my neighbors. They are very reliable and very competent. I like the people. I've used them for years and years and they have done a lot of our landscaping. They do a good job of landscaping and they guarantee their plants, which is important. They are not a discount firm but I don’t know how their prices compare. They are very responsive.

Description of Work
I used Fine Earth Landscape to stake up some trees that they planted that had fallen down because of the snow.

Category landscaping, tree service

Thank you Member and let me know if I can help further

10/19/2010

EMMANUELLE L.

This was the BEST experience we ever had with a contractor. We had multiple recommendations for Bernie Mim of FINE EARTH. Everyone told us to "go with Bernie!" Bernie Mim is one of the most honest, patient, and professional persons we have ever met. It was a pleasure to work with him. Before choosing Fine Earth, we shopped around. Some contractors never even sent an estimate, others lowballed so much it was suspicious, Bernie just guided us through, never pushing (actually almost encouraging a cheaper option), giving us a lot of time to decide, but when we did sign, the work started on time and promptly. At first we were considering a composite material, but Bernie pointed out that wood can be renovated to look new after several years. Then we hesitated between pine and Ipe, but when we saw the beauty and durability of ipe, chose that instead. My husband had roughly designed the deck and enclosed planter and Bernie adapted that, as well as the trellis and arbor which we had found a plan for which Bernie modified to fit to our deck. The Fine Earth team was courteous and a pleasure to work with . The carpenters were first class. Our deck is a real showcase as well as the trellis and arbor. Nothing was ever a problem. If something was not to our liking, Bernie had it fixed ASAP. I also want to mention the always upbeat Joseph and his team who set up the beautiful lighting. My biggest regret is that this has been such a great experience we wish if only Fine Earth could also be in the bathroom renovation business and maybe Kitchen too!

Description of Work
Fine Earth built a gorgeous IPE deck surrounded by steps with a privacy trellis, large inserted planter and arbor,. They also did a lovely stonework walkway and installed lighting for the deck, and . They prepared the enclosed planter with lining and planting material.

09/28/2010

mary beth B.

Removed existing concrete walkway and installed a 155 sq ft flagstone walkway with brick boarder. The company provided a quote and delivered the services as requested. They were responsive, punctual and professional. During and after the installation they cleaned up the yard and driveway. The walkway is beautiful!.

Description of Work
Install flagstone walkway

05/26/2010

Diane N.

Everything was great. They did a good job.

Description of Work
They did lawn service which included fertilizing and weed control. They also edged and mulched all flower beds.

Category landscaping

Thanks again. You always say the greatest things and appreciate your continued patronage

05/21/2010

Brian B.

Fine Earth, under Joel's supervision, was professional, on-time, easy to talk to and problem-solve, competitively priced and straight-forward. Many years later, my masonary work is still great, 95% of the plantings are thriving, even after this terrible winter, and has matured into what we initially set out to do. I will work with them again

Description of Work
I used Fine Earth to do extensive backyard landscaping, 6 years ago. Today, 5/2010, I called them to do some more landscaping work. My backyard was one massive hill ( going up!) They regraded and terraced the hill, added three massive stone walls, a mid-hill patio, and extensive plantings. They made a once useless hill usable and a thing of beauty.

Category landscaping

Member, thanks for the compliments and I'm glad everything is doing well. If I can help any further, let me know

12/24/2009

Andre D.

Joey was a pleasure to deal with. He is very patient, extremely knowledgeable, and pleasantly opinionated. The crew worked very hard under less than optimal weather conditions. The results were impressive. Our neighbors all commented on the quality of the transformation. We highly recommend them and will call them when we are ready to do the back yard.

Description of Work
They completely transformed the front yard landscaping for the home we recently purchased. The work included: 1. providing landscape design and plant selection 2. removing some existing plants and the weed infested lawn from the front yard using heavy equipment. 3. regrading the front yard (rough/smooth) for proper drainage 4. amending the soil 5. planting approximately 60+ new plants and 2 new trees 6. installing new sod 7. transplanting some of the old desirable plants

11/12/2009

Marilynn L.

They have always done really good work. Their prices are reasonable. Update - after 20 years Fine Earth remains excellent. If there is a question about anything it is promptly addressed, but that is rare. Their work, the crew and Bernie never disappoint.

Description of Work
They have landscaped and relandscaped half a dozen times for me over the years. Update - I've been a customer for 20 years now. It can be a spring cleanup, new plantings, flagstone work, etc., but each year they are here at my request for some project.

09/23/2009

VERONIQUE Y.

Good experience. Very quick installation. Good follow up.

Description of Work
Pond was installed in our backyard including lighting. Landscaping as well.

09/17/2009

Jose S.

Having worked with other contractors, Fine Earth was by far one of the easiest contractors I've ever worked with. Their service is a complete one-stop shop for all trades (design thru installation). Small issues that came up during construction were resolved quickly, efficiently and with minimal involvement from me. Great quality and service for a good price. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Replaced front concrete walkway with flagstone and re-did landscaping in front of house. Added new terrace in back yard, with low stone seat walls, pond with waterfall, rock garden and planting.

09/10/2006

FRANCIS P.

The retaining walls ended up being OK, but the experience was really not good because: (1) After signing a contract I missed three days of work waiting on three different days for a rep to show up at the job site - he never called to cancel nor apologized for missing the appointment; (2) The job took twice as long as promised; (3) After months of start-up delay, I was not allowed to cancel the contract without unreasonable financial penalties; (4) It seemed impossible to understand what was (or was not) happening - very poor communications; (5) The job needed additional work for an extra budget that was not originally included but should have been anticipated. Overall - I felt that this firm did not seek to establish a good relationship with me as a customer. Once the contract was signed it seemed as if they "owned" the job and my satisfaction and need for information were not at all important.

Description of Work
Excavate and install two stone retaining walls along driveway with lights.

Category hardscaping