THOROUGHBRED TRANSMISSIONS

Founded 1993 • With Angi since January 2005

11011 SCAGGSVILLE RD

Laurel, MD 20723

ALL TECHNICIANS ARE ASE CERTIFIED, E.P.A. APPROVED EMISSION REPAIR FACILITY. STATE OF THE ART EQUIPMENT. ...

06/23/2017

Paul B.

They said the water pump was leaking and they replaced that. One reason I use them is they arent over worked so it's not a long wait to get in. You can drop it off to have it worked on.

Description of Work
They repaired a coolant leak.

06/23/2017

Paul B.

I was pleased.

Description of Work
They replaced a camshaft sensor and fixed a coolant leak.

01/31/2017

Linda A.

Description of Work
................................................

08/30/2016

Vasti D.

Description of Work
This shop provides the best service I have ever had for my cars. They have been keeping my cars in shape for the last 12 years.

08/26/2014

Johnson S.

They were excellent.

Description of Work
Replaced my transmission. Gave me a rate $200-300 cheaper. They also gave me a free warranty. So far there are no problems with my transmission.

Category auto repair,transmission repair

08/04/2013

Matthew G.

I had my vehicle towed after hours to Thoroughbred Transmissions at the recommendation of AAA when the car failed to start. The provider had a night drop for the key and was able to look at the vehicle the next morning. They were extremely friendly and professional over the phone, explaining they would start with diagnostics and let me know what they thought the car would need. They called back within two hours explaining it was most likely the result of a bad cell in the car battery and asked whether or not I would like them to replace it. They were able to look at the car and repair it by 3:00 pm the same day, and were great about keeping me updated on the status. The only down side is they are very expensive. I was charged $56 for the diagnostics, which is not credited towards the cost of the repair, $115 for a new battery, $56 to install the new battery, and then $15 for and quot;Job Suppliesand quot; which is not specified what all that includes. Total it cost ~$240 (after a $11 AAA discount) for them to tell me the battery was bad and replace it. Overall, great service, bad pricing.

Description of Work
The provider performed diagnostics to identify that the cause of my vehicle not starting was most likely a bad cell in the car battery. They replaced the battery and verified that this fixed the problem.

12/30/2010

Wes C.

I called Thoroughbred in the morning and they were able to take the car same day. The diagnostic charges were explained up front as well as indication of when they would be able to look at the problem. Since they couldn't find any leaks at all, they kept the car overnight set up in a manor replicating our driveway angle. The next morning, they found fluid on the floor and recommended changing the pan gasket. After making that repair, they discovered the actual problem was a clogged vent. The repair was made quickly and at little additional cost. This was a great experience in that Steve kept me closely informed on what they were doing and what I could expect. I was really impressed with his friendliness, knowledge and professionalism. Even the receipt is detailed with the work performed step by step to include customer contact details. This is one garage worth going back to.

Description of Work
Our car lost a lot of transmission fluid on the driveway seemingly overnight. The problem was a clogged transmission vent.

Category auto repair,transmission repair

01/20/2009

ROANNE S.

I still have a low grade squeal, but it is more of a minor annoyance and I know that I won't be stuck on the side of the road at this point because of it - at least not at this time.

Description of Work
Dropped off car because of squeal under hood. Thought it might be a belt. They checked it over and found a belt in need of repair and replaced it. Thought the squeal was from the alternator, but alternator was charging and maintaining properly. Suggested not replacing alternator at this time.

08/04/2008

ROANNE S.

They are great. They usually have our car back on time unless they have to keep it for work that takes a couple of days. The mechanics are friendly and they make sure we know what they are doing before they do it and when it comes back it works.

Description of Work
We take our cars there for regular check ups and maintenance work.

01/31/2005

DANNY L.

THESE FOLKS HAVE DONE A LOT OF WORK FOR US. THEY ARE NOT CHEAP, BUT THE WORK IS USUALLY FIRST RATE. THEY ARE ALSO VERY CONVENIENT TO US. MY ONE COMPLAINT IS THAT THEY CHARGE FOR DIAGNOSTICS; IT IS A SEPARATE CHARGE ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CHARGE FOR DOING THE REPAIR. MANY SHOPS WILL DEDUCT THAT CHARGE IF YOU HAVE THE WORK DONE THERE, OR AT LEAST THAT'S THE WAY IT USED TO BE.

Description of Work
REPLACED ALTERNATOR ON A 1991 HONDA ACCORD.