Floormax a Carpet 'N Things Co

Founded 1985 • With Angi since November 2005

4.2

13380 Mid Atlantic Blvd

Laurel, MD 20708

Additional contact name - Rafie Ansari....

04/11/2015

Steven S.

Floormax sold us laminate flooring, porcelain tile and underlayment products and installation services. Floormax's salesman provided samples of the Armstrong laminate and represented that it would, with the Ditra underlayment Floormax would use, lay flat and not separate at the seams and peel at the edges. The Armstrong flooring was installed through the entire first (ground) and second floors of our townhome excluding the bathrooms. The installation was completed in October, 2014. The defects in the laminate flooring and the unprofessional installation were evident at and shortly after installation. We notified Floormax's representative by email and text that the flooring was separating and the laminate surface was peeling back. The defects include, but are not limited to: unevenness among planks, gapping between the planks, peeling back and chipping off of the laminate layers on the edges of the ends of the planks, and peeling-curling back along the lengths of the planks. We sent the representative pictures of some of the many defective areas in the flooring in early and mid December because he did not respond to our texts and earlier emails. On January 16, 2015 a Floormax representative came to our home to inspect. The Floormax representative confirmed verbally to my husband that both the installation and the laminate product were defective. The representative also said that Armstrong's representative would have to come out and inspect the floors to address the laminate warranty claim. On February 13, 2015, Floormax's representative and Armstrong's representative, David Day of JJ Haines Co., inspected the laminate flooring and the installation. Armstrong's representative first refused to identify himself, and said he did not have any business cards. We showed the Floormax and Armstrong representatives the numerous areas where the flooring was separating, the laminated layers were peeling back and seams were separating further. On both the upper and ground floors, the Armstrong representative remarked to Floormax's representative that he could see where the laminate was buckling. Armstrong's representative requested, and we provided an extra laminate plank so that warranty testing could be done. On March 16, 2015, we received a written notice from the financing company's Customer Service department forwarding a letter from Joseph Jovinelli, VP of Floormax which stated that "we have taken every step possible to move this process forward and expedite this matter...". He then states that Floormax is waiting for Armstrong's response. On April 7, 2015, we received an email from Laura Rutherford, the Customer Service Manager at Floormax forwarding the Armstrong representative, forwarding a "Turn Down" letter from Armstrong on March 23, 2015. The Armstrong letter stated that Armstrong concluded the defects were not a "warranted issue" and "site related concerns not covered under warranty". Armstrong attributed the failure of their product to our alleged but unspecified misuse of their product. Armstrong used boilerplate language stating that the failure was due to excessive subfloor moisture, pet accidents, spills, improper maintenance ? all of which is false: we have no pets, don't wear outside shoes in the house, don't spill and had only dusted and spot cleaned the laminate in the 3+ months it had been installed. And we were told by Floormax and in the Armstrong literature that there was a 20 year warranty on this product. Also, we were never given a copy of the purported tests of the flooring, nor was the sample of the flooring returned to us. To this day, Floormax has not offered to address either the product defects or their defective installation services. Additionally, Floormax also tried the bait-and-switch tactic with us on the porcelain tile. We also contracted to have them provide and install porcelain tile in several bathrooms of our home. In November, 2014, when Floormax prepared to come to our home and install the porcelain tile, I received a same day call from Floormax stating they did not have the specified porcelain tile in stock or available any more. This was despite the sales agent's promise one month before that he would have the tile set aside for us. When we were told the tile was unavailable on the day the install was scheduled, I was told the warehouse had some similar tile they could bring and install. I told the dispatcher that we needed to compare the sample of the ordered porcelain to anything they brought to install. I also told her that the proposed replacement had to be porcelain, that ceramic tile would not be acceptable. She assured me that it was porcelain. When the installers arrive at our home my husband asked to see the box of the proposed replacement tile. The installer said it was porcelain. My husband knew by the weight of the tile that it was not porcelain and so insisted that he be shown the box. The box clearly stated that the tile was ceramic. My husband sent the installers away. And so we lost another day of work. I then had to go back to Floormax to the Germantown location and select alternate porcelain tile which was finally installed 4-5 days later. To date, we have paid over $5700 of the total amount of over $7700 charged by Floormax, and have waited over 5 months to obtain resolution with our laminate dispute. They have engaged in deceptive acts and practices, and to this date have not resolved our claims regarding their defective products and installation services. We would never use Floormax, nor purchase Armstrong laminate again. Neither company stands behind their products or services.

Description of Work
Removed existing laminate flooring and vinyl flooring and installed laminate flooring and tile flooring

Category ceramic tile,flooring contractor

03/27/2015

Alexander M.

This is the second time that we used FloorMax for a flooring project in our 15-year old home. In September 2012, they removed vinyl flooring in our kitchen and morning room and installed new oak hardwood flooring. They also sanded, stained and refinished oak hardwood flooring in our dining room, living room, foyer and study to match the new flooring. The installation crew was very prompt and professional. They did a nice job refinishing the existing hardwood floors, and did an okay job on the installation of the new flooring. I say "okay" because it's been about 18 months since the new flooring was installed and there are several areas where the boards creak when you step on them. We had them come back in March 2015 for an estimate to refinish hardwood floors on our second floor to match the work they had done in 2012. We also requested an estimate for them to refinish the treads on our foyer stairs and the railings in our basement, foyer and back staircase. We used their service for the 2nd floor hallway floors so that it would match the 1st floor. We opted against having them do the 19 stair treads and 3 railings as their estimate to complete that work was nearly $5000 (quotes from other companies for the same work were ~$1500); the only response from the company was that it was a lot of work by hand. We completed the stair treads and railings ourselves at a cost of <$200 for supplies and only took a couple days to complete (which included drying time for the stain and polyurethane). We are so glad we did not spend $5000 to have that work done, and will not use FloorMax again in the future.

Description of Work
Install new hardwood flooring and refinish existing hardwood flooring

Category flooring contractor,hardwood floor

10/07/2014

Shawn H.

They did a great job. The price was reasonable. They were very flexible in terms of the time we were in the showroom for the carpets. They did not push us on anything. Then when they came out to get the carpet installed, it was done when they said it would be done. They were very professional. We chose them because they really have good reviews. The prices were fair.

Description of Work
We used Floormax a Carpet ‘N Things Co. for the carpet.

Category carpet installation

06/05/2014

Monica P.

We've used them twice so that means we really like them. They were neat and cleaned up after themselves. The salesperson was very professional and they were patient when we were trying to decide exactly what we wanted. I don't think they were the cheapest but they had the best products for us for the value of what we wanted.

Description of Work
Floormax, a Carpet N' Things Co. put in ceramic tiles in the foyer and a new carpet with an upgraded pad for two rooms.

Category carpet installation,ceramic tile,hardwood floor

06/05/2014

EILEEN S.

This provider first declined to visit the job site, and insisted I come into the store. When I arrived, he denied that his company was a participant in the Costco program (from whom I obtained information about their program). He declined to provide an estimate and sent me away with only a brochure. Later in the day, he called me using the contact information provided to him by Costco, and accused me of causing trouble for him, which I had not done. Further, he insulted me personally,

Category flooring contractor

05/30/2014

Shirl M.

The padding was from Legget & Platt but both samples tested out at less than 10 lbs. I am replacing my carpet padding because the company (out of Rockville) that I used to install my carpet & pads, installed 7-lb padding instead of the 8-lb that I paid for. Since then, I have been searching for a 10-lb padding and just got my testing results back today for the Shaw Ultimate Triple Touch Pad which tested at 10-lb. So, I will be replacing my padding with the Shaw Triple Touch 10-lb. I did not use Floor Max because they did not have a 10-lb pad. I am on my fifth carpet company because no one carry 10-lb padding. Even though they market the padding as 10-lb, they all tested out between 8lb and 8.5lb. I must say that it is not the companies fault, the information is coming from Legget & Platt. They all used Legget & Platt carpet pads. The same padding but under a different name. Legget & Platt stated that they do not test out their pads...my question is...how can they sell padding by the lb. if they don't test them out. I would suggest that you get a sample, 18X18 and mail it out to the Professional Testing Lab in Dalton, GA for it to be tested. The sale person was profession and knowledgeable. The store manager was very helpful and went out of his way to assist me. I rated the price & quality at "C" because as I say, the padding tested out at 8 & 8.5lb. and the estimate was for a 10-lb pad. I would definitely use them if you are looking for 8 lb. padding. Just make sure the price is for 8lb and not 10-lb as Legget & Platt is claiming.

Description of Work
They came out conducted measurements and gave me an estimate to replace my carpet padding only.

Category carpet installation,flooring contractor

05/13/2014

NANDISH P.

*** I ADVISE TO ALL ANGIE'S LIST USER THAT DON'T USE SERVICE OF FLOORMAX FOR ANY KIND OF FLOORING NEED (CARPET OR HARDWOOD FLOORING) THEY ARE CHEATERS, DISHONEST AND COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL. PAUL (GERMANTOWN FLOORMAX OFFICE HEAD), PAULA (SALES PERSON IN LAUREL OFFICE) AND SAFI ANSARI ( HEAD OF FLOORMAX OPERATION IN LAUREL OFFICE) ALL THREE ARE MOST DISHONEST PERSONS I HAVE EVER MET IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.*** (1) We had Yellow colored hardwood floor when we bought this house and but then we decide to convert into Mahogany red color. After so much research in Angie's list, local advertisement and many website. We decide to choose floormax. We contact Paul (germantown floormax) and after his advise we decide to go with semigloss shade. After flooring finished we take a look and we saw that floor is not at all shining and we can clearly see so many dirty patches. We try using one of the best flooring liquid from market but its still showing so many patches and not shinning. I called Floormax head office in laurel and he sent flooring guy who did my hardwood flooring. A flooring guy who visited my house admit that that's his mistake. (2) Second thing I would like to mention that Mahogany red color didn't penetrate enough through the wood. I can still see original wood color underneath the color. (3) Third thing I would like to mention that during color on flooring/railing, they spill colors all over the walls. I just paint whole house before flooring. When I ask floormax regarding this spill they said "You should think all this things before hiring us." (4) We can clearly see some big holes in floor. We are expecting flooring guys to fix those hole before start flooring. Those holes are clearly visible from even 10 feet away. (5) Floor is not as smooth as it was when we had yellow colored hardwood. I ask this question to flooring guy (who visited by home) and he advise me that he will fix that. (6) We have so much furniture on the floor. Now if we decide to do flooring that we need to remove all those furniture to somewhere else ( either in basement or in bedroom). We try to find cheapest labor and it cost me around $200 for labor to move my furniture from one floor to another. Again we didn't expect this to be happen. After explaining all above disaster to Laura(one of the dishonest sales person in Laurel office). she said that It will take $3000 to fix all those mistakes. Me and my wife was shocked that even though after paying $15K without any loan floormax is aksing for $3000 more to fix those mistake that they did. I fought so hard with Laura and ask her to talk with her manager. She was keep saying that his manager is out of town or busy or sick. Its almost 4-5 weeks she didn't gave me clear answer. I called her everyday regarding fixing of all above issue. Then somehow I found his manager name (I called head office as new customer) Safi ansari. then I directly talked with him and explain my situation but he is most DISHONEST person I have ever deal with. He don't want to admit any of his crew members mistakes. Finally when I said that I am going to file complain against you guys in consumer court at that time Safi sent one of his guys to just fill out holes. I ask him above all other problem and he said that That is something you need to pay for. Then I decide to hire another contractor and fix those issue that was done by Floormax. I ADVISE TO ALL ANGIE'S LIST USER THAT DON'T USE SERVICE OF FLOORMAX FOR ANY KIND OF FLOORING NEED (CARPET OR HARDWOOD FLOORING) THEY ARE CHEATERS, DISHONEST AND COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL. PAUL (GERMANTOWN FLOORMAX OFFICE HEAD), PAULA (SALES PERSON IN LAUREL OFFICE) AND SAFI ANSARI ( HEAD OF FLOORMAX OPERATION IN LAUREL OFFICE) ALL THREE ARE MOST DISHONEST PERSONS I HAVE EVER MET IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

Description of Work
*** I ADVISE TO ALL ANGIE'S LIST USER THAT DON'T USE SERVICE OF FLOORMAX FOR ANY KIND OF FLOORING NEED (CARPET OR HARDWOOD FLOORING) THEY ARE CHEATERS, DISHONEST AND COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL. PAUL (GERMANTOWN FLOORMAX OFFICE HEAD), PAULA (SALES PERSON IN LAUREL OFFICE) AND SAFI ANSARI ( HEAD OF FLOORMAX OPERATION IN LAUREL OFFICE) ALL THREE ARE MOST DISHONEST PERSONS I HAVE EVER MET IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.*** We just bought townhome in clarksburg area & we decide to change carpet of whole house and also do some hardwood flooring on main level which already had hardwood but its scratched by previous owner. so we decide to choose Floormax, that is in Germantown. We met Paul - that main guy at Germantown Floormax office. He came to my house and did some wired measurement ( I use word wired because after his measurement my house is only 2900 sq ft). some how he deceive us and convince us. We decide a date when they can start work inside my house. I gave him keys as well. Everything works fine until me and my wife enter to home for inspections after their work finished. first of all he install completely wrong carpet than we decide, We decide dark yellow colored carpet in one of stairway and they installed dark green color. I call Paul about it and he said that I am "JERK". He don't want to admit his mistake. somehow I convince him to visit my home and he realize that this is his fault. Than he advise me not to change carpet otherwise he will loose his commission. We are still didn't decide wether to change or not. Now the main part I would like to explain regarding hardwood flooring disaster. main points are as below

Category carpet installation,flooring contractor,hardwood floor

04/28/2014

David N.

Everything went very well. Friends of ours who just had new carpeting and flooring installed highly recommended FloorMax. I took a look at our friends' floors first and was very impressed. My husband and I went to FloorMax, spent a few hours at their showroom having options explained to us by a very helpful -- but totally non-pushy -- salesman. We came in knowing basically what we wanted because we had done some research, and we were able to order the strand bamboo flooring, Congoleum and carpet the same day. FloorMax called us about a week later to let us know the installation of the Congoleum would be done on Monday April 7 by one team of workers, and the flooring and carpeting would be done on the following two days by a different team. The three-person team who did the Congoleum was meticulous and careful, cleaned up totally, worked efficiently and well. The flooring looks great. The five-person team who installed the bamboo floors and the carpeting also were very meticulous and careful, very professional, cleaned up after themselves perfectly. They took photos of where all our furniture was positioned, so that when they finished installing the flooring and carpeting, they knew where to put everything back. The floors and carpet look just great -- it looks like a new house. The salesman did a follow-up call about 10 days later to check on if we were happy with everything. My husband took the call, and he told the salesman we were very happy indeed. We would highly recommend FloorMax. And the Angie's List discount we got was a very nice plus, also.

Description of Work
Our house is 21 years old and needed all new flooring and carpeting on the main level. We had strand bamboo floors installed in the dining room, hall, steps leading to the second floor, family room, and family eating area adjacent to the kitchen. We had carpeting installed in the living room, and Congoleum in the kitchen and bathroom.

Category carpet installation,flooring contractor,hardwood floor

04/24/2014

Jean M.

They helped move the furniture and everything. They were very hardworking and perfectionists. The overall work was absolutely wonderful. I would defiantly recommend them. We actually recommend a friend to use them.

Description of Work
We had a lot done. They replaced our carpet and our tile.

Category carpet installation,ceramic tile,flooring contractor

01/13/2014

Palmer S.

Things were going well until the salesman didn't return my last email. I still had a couple of questions that were never answered. So, I ruled this company out and went with Carpet and Floor Express in Rockville!

Description of Work
Salesman came to house for an estimate after I had first contact at the store.

Category flooring contractor

JCabido Remodeling

Super Service Award winner. We are a local business that originated in 2001 in Silver Spring, MD. Since then, our team of remodeling experts have been working non-stop around the DC-Metro area. Our number of employees depend on job type and size, averaging from around 3-7 employees working at a job site. We offer great prices and great payment plans! Money should never be an obstacle when you want your dream home.

Offers by JCabido Remodeling on Angi
    Elegant Floor Services

Elegant Floor Service has been offering leading, comprehensive wood floor services to residents in Maryland, Virginia, and DC since 1987! Our trusted, in-house contractors carry extensive experience and top-class training, ensuring we can meet all of your home or business flooring needs. From maintenance to total installation, you can count on Elegant Floor Service to provide. Offering many varieties of hardwood, flooring installation, refinishing, and restoration of stone floors.

Offers by Elegant Floor Services on Angi
    FLOOR GEM

FloorGem Services, Inc. hardwood floor installation, refinishing & stone flooring in Maryland, Virginia & Washington, DC We handle all of your flooring needs in the Maryland, Washington DC and Virginia areas. Hardwood & Bamboo Floor Care Services Polished Concrete Marble & Stone Vinyl & Epoxy Ceramic Flooring FloorGem Services is your #1 flooring contractor for all your hardwood floor installation, floor restoration, floor cleaning, concrete polish and floor maintenance needs. We service all of Maryland, D.C., and Virginia as well as the surrounding states. We pride ourselves on delivering a quality floor installation at a fair and reasonable price. We stand behind the quality of every floor installation and your satisfaction is our #1 priority. If you are looking for a flooring company that to give you ad your home the attention it desires call FloorGem Services today and see why dozens of clients and companies choose us every day. Our flooring Estimates are FREE and the owner Ken Waldman will come to meet with you personally. So why wait, Call the owner, Ken Waldman, directly @ 410-381-6697 or 301-384-6608.

MasterCard, Visa, Check, Financing Available

Carpet and flooring, hardwood flooring, ceramic tile, cork, bamboo, dura ceramic, sanding, refinishing, instock carpet, vinyl & laminate.

Carpet cleaning, installation of materials purchased elsewhere