AMERICAN CONSTRUCTION SERVICES

Founded 1971 • With Angi since May 2007

4.4

10602 Guilford Road

Jessup, MD 20794

Locally, Privately Owned & Operated Response within 24 Hours!!

08/04/2019

Nikki J.

This man stole thousands of dollars from us. We fired him 6 months in to what was supposed to be a 4-6 week job after only doing a fraction of the work...all done out of order with constant delays. The owner Mr Borman, is a dishonest and incompetent con who won’t return our money. He has devalued our property and brought great hardship.

Description of Work
Basement remodel

Category contractors, ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, insulation, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, basement remodeling

02/01/2017

John Z.

Horrible they just covered it up instead of removing it and lied in Court about reasoning for not getting the job done appropriately and finished About the health inspectors findings

Description of Work
Mold remediation

Category handyman service, remodeling, water damage restoration, basement waterproofing, mold removal, foundation repair

04/22/2015

KATHY R.

They did the work in stages and did a great job on all of this mold.

Description of Work
They did mold testing and there was a pinleak in the room where the oil furnaces were. We had all kinds of mold all over the place.

Category mold removal

01/20/2015

Laurie H.

They were the most prompt of anyone and came out immediately. They were very professional and kind. I would definitely recommend them.

Description of Work
I used American Construction Services. They explained the underlying reasons for the basement flooding and explained remediation strategies.

Category mold removal

07/20/2014

Steve M.

I just felt uncomfortable using them because I felt they were using the fear of mold in getting me to enter into a contract for the price they had given. Also their were not enough feed back on Angie's List to see what others had to say.

Description of Work
I received a bid from this company and declined his services.

06/24/2014

kathleen H.

We are still finding places that need to be fixed. They did not do a thorough job. The new floor that they put in squeaks. The baseboards are not even. We got to a point that we wanted them to get out of our house. They said that they could do the job but, could not. There had been patches where they did not show up. They replaced all of the hardwood. They mis-measured the cabinets. The flood happened in August and did not finish until just before Christmas. It should not have taken that long. We found all of the materials. If it were to happen again, I would hire a floor guy for the floor, and a wall guy for the walls. It was covered under insurance. It was like watching a clown show but, it was not funny. The staff was nice, all in all I would not hire them to build a dog house. We are going to end up replacing the floors. I would not call them back to fix anything because, we were so disgusted with them. He said that he did not know how to finish off the stairs and the stain is bad. I do not want to see these people again. I thought that my husband was going to have a heart attack because, of the stress.

Description of Work
American Construction Services repaired our house after the flood.

Category flooring contractor, home remodeling, basement remodeling

07/06/2013

Deborah T H.

Went very well! Owner and his professional team did a Great Job! As background, my original subfloor of this bedroom was damaged by stains and pet odors over 29 yrs. of wear and tear. I am the original home owner. American Construction Services improved the overall flooring by installing a New Subfloor as well as the new flooring. Also, the Original carpeting in hallway outside of bedroom and down the steps to main living area was also in very bad shape, and I asked the company if the old carpeting could be pulled up and a new hallway subfloor be installed. American Construction Services agreed to add this new work, and had the entire job done within a 2-day period. I am very pleased about the prompt service and the additional work, which will definitely add to the value of my home! Many Thanks!

Description of Work
Put down vinyl plank flooring a bedroom I wanted redone; also needed baseboard and quarter round installation (12x 13 room).

Category flooring contractor, replacement windows

03/04/2013

Pearl L.

I called this company because we had an overflow in our laundry tub that had migrated to the abutting carpeting area of our basement. I wanted a quote on what it would cost to repair the damage and restore the area. Pete Borman came out within a couple of hours - and he called to let me know he was on his way. He gave me a quote and, because he felt that I needed some help right away, he even lent us a fan to use - before he had any promise of the job. We ended up using a capet company because the area of impact was small - but Pete was very professional and the prince he quoted for the work he proposed doing was very fair.

Description of Work
I called this company because we had had an overflow in our laundry tub that had impacted the abutting carpeted area of our basement. I wanted a quote on what it would cost to repair the damage. Pete Borman came out within a couple of hours - and he called to tell me when he was on his way. He gave me a quote and, because he felt that I needed some help right away, he even lent me a fan to use - before he had any promise of the job. I ended up using a carpet company because it was a small area of impact - but Pete was very professional and the price he quoted for the work he proposed doing was very fair.

Category remodeling, water damage restoration

05/03/2012

Thomas B.

Their bid was too high. They had done a cold call to my wife and they kept calling. Then I told them to give me a quote. They were bugging me about it and kept asking me. So I said come in and their bid was more than the company that I signed with who had a special with Angie's List. They came at the time we set, looked at the things and gave a quote. I will not use them again.

Description of Work
American Construction Services just gave an estimate about a month ago for a screened in porch.

Category decks

This was NOT NOT NOT MY FIRM I DONT WORK IN VIRGINIA

05/02/2012

Albert K.

Their quality of work is outstanding and their prices are reasonable. I would recommend them to anyone looking for quality work.

Description of Work
They are currently working on a project for me.

01/17/2012

Albert K.

They are absolutely marvelous people. They are great to work with. They have been doing a fantastic job! They work well and they have a lot of experts working with them. So far, I am extremely pleased with their work.

Description of Work
I had them redo the lower cellar and put in the sub pump. They are now getting ready to work on the restructuring.

Category basement remodeling

01/09/2012

Dena D.

After several visits to cut away dry wall and determine the extent of the termite damage they began work on December 27. Work took approximately a week and a half. The crew was on time each day, polite and worked from the time they arrived in the morning (taking a short lunch break) until 4:30 or 5 each day. All crew members were hard workers and respectful of our home, being careful not to track dirt into our home. The quality of finished work is excellent. When they cleaned up my dinning room after finishing work I believe they left the carpet cleaner than when they started. They cleaned and removed all scraps and debris from my back yard leaving it as they found it. Pete Boreman (owner) was by almost every day to instruct crew and check on work. He was also readily available by phone. This was costly repair work but I certainly have no complaints regarding the quality of the work or the professionalism of the crew.

Description of Work
Repaired exterior walls in kitchen and dining room that had been damaged by termites and water leak. This included removing siding from back of the house and replacing parts of exterior wall. Also removing dry wall in kitchen and dinning room to access damage and to repair. Kitchen windows and sliding glass door had to be removed and frames repaired and door and windows reinstalled.

Category drywall, handyman service, plastering, water damage restoration, woodworking, mold removal

10/25/2011

kathleen H.

We are working with them right now. They sent out a cleanup company to clean up things. One of the people sent a crew out and they set up all the fence and everything. A different crew came a few days later and one man said 5.22 . should have come out the first day. He called to get authorization to lift it up the floor, but they wouldn't give him authorization. I called another company to come out and check the flooring. They would not lift up the floor without a $75 payment in advance. When the American Construction Services crew came I told them what the situation was. The other company asked the difference between replacing the floor and refinishing it. They decided that they had other people to work with and they didn't get back to us. The American Construction Services crew lifted the flooring up and showed us where it was wet because it doesn't dry. Then they sent out a water damage specialist complete with a license certification number. He came out and did a complete inspection of the kitchen and wrote a report for the insurance company. We are very happy with them. They haven't come to do the work yet because we are still waiting to hear from the insurance company. What they had to do is lift up enough of the laminate to ascertain whether or not it was wet enough. A lot of people had severe damage because of the floods in Maryland. These companies have been backed up like crazy. They stayed in constant touch with us. It doesn't get any more responsive than that. I don't think we would use any provider without checking with Angie's List first.

Description of Work
We got an estimate from American Construction Services for water and smoke damage.

Category water damage restoration

07/21/2011

Robert T.

American Construction Services was very professional and they did a great job repairing the leak and replacing the insulation and drywall. The cost was very reasonable. Highly recommend American Construction Services!

Description of Work
We had a leak in the roof between the garage and house. After the leak was repaired had to replace damaged insulation and drywall.

Category drywall, handyman service, insulation, remodeling, roofing

06/13/2011

Gary G.

After five years in our twenty-five year old home we were ready to make changes to make it more of what we wanted. What we most wanted was to be able to see our lovely backyard. We have no idea why, on such a lovely bit of land, the original builders had not put more windows, not to mention a screen porch, in the back.We started out going to an architect who was a disaster. He spent a lot of money creating plans that did nothing we had said we wanted. We fired him. So we decided to use a design/build company - which lead us to ACS. Luckily for us ACS works - on projects this size - with an excellent architect, Hank Maeser. We found him easy to work with. He was able to start with the measured drawings (the only thing of value from the original guy) and give us excellent plans which did exactly what we wanted and were exactly what got built. His working relationship with the ACS team was excellent and they clearly had done many projects together and had enormous trust in each other. Once the plans and permits were in-hand ACS got off to a good start with getting the old deck removed and the foundation dug and the footings poured. The rest of the foundation went in smoothly as well as did the building of the extension and the screen porch. But the winter weather arrived sooner than expected and that slowed the project down a bit. The interior work that did not involve the windows was completed but we had to wait for warmer weather to do the installation of the windows and the completion of the balcony. With the arrival of Spring they were able to get the windows in and the balcony finished and after that the completion of the rest of the interior work went well. The final inspection was a couple of weeks ago and passed - as had all the other inspections along the way. Living so long with so much construction was a bit of a strain but ACS was careful to always leave things as neat as possible and they made sure our privacy was respected. When they had to be in non-construction parts of the house they always removed shoes and/or put on shoe covers to keep the tracking of dirt to a minimum. They were dedicated to doing an excellent job with everything and they delivered that excellence. We love how our house has turned out and recommend ACS highly.

Description of Work
Our goal of adding significant windows to our lovely backyard lead to an almost complete reworking of the ground floor and the addition of several large windows. ACS removed the old deck, dug a foundation for our extension, put in the footings and foundation, built the extension and a new screen porch and a new balcony, removed the exterior wall to open up to the extension, put in a new floor and carpet as well as doing all the electrical work for that room - which also now has a new picture window. The new screen porch has skylights and a fan. We have a whole new kitchen with corian counters and a new hardwood floor. They were able to reuse some of the existing corian (the only decent thing about the old kitchen). They also created several new interior openings, sealed up one that was no longer needed, and moved the door to the garage. In the kitchen they took out much of the exterior wall to give us a big new picture window. They painted several rooms. They took out most of the wall in an upstairs bedroom and put in a new door to the new balcony and another picture window. They added a window to a bathroom which did not have one. They moved a wall in our basement and finished the walls for the 'mother-in-law' suite kitchen while adding additional electrical outlets. The ceiling of the rec room was redone with the old hanging lights replaced by much nicer florescent to give an even ceiling throughout. Two basement windows that would have been under the new extension and the new screen porch were sealed and finished. To get their equipment into the backyard for the foundation work they took up a brick walkway and took down part of the fence. Both were put back in better shape than they had been. There are new gutters and, where there were problems with the roof, they repaired the roof. The work involved electrical work, carpentry, plumbing, masonry, siding, flooring, carpentry and everything else needed for a massive project. Everything was done extremely well - the workmanship is excellent for everything. The workers were the same crew for the entire project and they were polite and careful about everything. They cleaned up every day and we came to trust them completely to do the original work and the additional tasks we added on during the course of the project. I recommend ACS very highly for any work you might have - from a basic handyman task to having your home rebuilt as much as ours was.Because of the size of the windows being installed - and the amount of wall being removed - there were significant engineering and structural issues that had to be gotten right. ACS did an excellent job with that - the parts of the house they worked on are now stronger and more secure than the original structure.

Category countertops, decks, drywall, electrician, gutter repair, handyman service, hardwood floor, insulation, remodeling, siding, water damage restoration, replacement windows, home builders, skylights, woodworking, drain pipe, home remodeling, interior painters, doors, sunrooms, mold removal, basement remodeling

08/30/2010

William A.

They did pretty well. They were quick to come out. Their estimates were good. They had a decent crew to get the work done quickly. There was a problem that arose from their work. So they came out on a Saturday and fixed it. I would use their services in the future too.

Description of Work
I used American Construction Services probably in March for plastering and handyman work.

Category handyman service, plastering

07/28/2010

mareli G.

Mr. Borman came to give me an estimate. He explained that he had some heart problems which had recently put him in the hospital when I questioned him about some recent review I had read on this site. He openly discussed all facets of the work to be done, assured me that he stood behind his work and gave me an estimate. I had contacted about ten other companies and decided to have him do the work. I had a stringent timeline to adhere to and he was able to accomodate me. Before beginning work he even accepted my written understanding of the jobs to be done as part of the contract which put my mind at ease. I was very pleased with his work and his staff. Workers showed up on time every time and there was no delay unless I requested it. The workers were so pleasant and willing to go out of their way to make themselves as unobtrusive as possible. They kept things immaculate. The finished products are so good that it is hard to believe an entire wall of my living room was removed and replaced. Truely a great experience and I would recommend them to anyone. Mr. Borman inspected each day's work and was more exacting than I was. Several things were redone at his request when I would have left them as they were. They were careful with mold uncovered on the insulation next to the concrete which had been up for thirty years. He had a mold expert inspect the areas after they were opened and the repairs were underway. Barriers were hung to keep the areas walled off during this work. He was willing to do anything I asked to make me feel comfortable and satisfied as the work progressed. He is definitely my idea of "Holmes" and I would recommend him and his company to all.

Description of Work
Repairs related to blizzard ice dam damage: Master bedroom inspection and interior repair and painting; Living room removal of drywall and insulation to rear exterior wall. Sub-floor repair, structural reinforcement of slider, drywall and insulation replacement, interior painting to match existing. Mold remediation, sealing, and insulation of area under stairs in front of home.

Category drywall, insulation, remodeling, house painters, interior painters, mold removal, foundation repair

07/16/2010

Devin M.

I contacted this company to get a quote on installing an egress window in my unfinished basement. They were professional on the phone, but initially told me that they would not be able to help me because I live in Herndon, and they are located in Maryland. ACS called me back to say they would be able to do the job after all. I sent them photos of the window I wanted replaced by e-mail. They ran so late for the appointment that I had to leave before they got there. (Their guy ran into mould problems at another location, but I didn't find out about this until he was 30 minutes late.) I assume that their estimator was able to see the window from the outside of the house. ACS quoted me $11K - $12K for the job, which wound up being higher then the contractor I chose, and I didn't hear or see anything that made me think they had enough experience excavating for egress windows with the drainage issues that they can cause. I would recommend getting a quotation from this company for those that live closer to their office in Maryland.

Description of Work
Quote on basement egress window.

Category egress windows, excavators, remodeling

I was back in hospital from injuries from a car crash

04/02/2010

Derek W.

I called this company to get an estimate. They came out but never sent the estimate.

Description of Work
None, they never followed through on an estimate.

Category remodeling

I WAS HAVING MEDICAL ISSUES DURING THIS TIME RELATED TO A CAR ACCIDENT AND COULD NOT RESPOND,I WAS IN HOSPITAL

03/29/2010

Brenda A.

After sending an e-mail to several companies from Angie's List, ACS was the first company to follow-up with a call. I've since had two other conversations with the firm representative all initiated by me. Although I've been told on three occasions that an estimator would be out to my home, I have yet to receive a verbal or written estimate. The company must have more work than they need now, so I'm going with another contractor.

Description of Work
I have wooden columns on my front porch that need to be replaced.

Category handyman service, remodeling

Still in hospital from reoccurring car crash injuries here also,sorry

02/05/2010

John T.

We’ve used them twice and they have been excellent. The electrician did a good job and told me that it would take a minimum of one hour to finish the job. He asked what else he could do for me as he had 25 minutes left on the clock still. He is very efficient, always on time, and does neat work. I like the way they conduct themselves too. He had called before coming to know which color switch I wanted. He was very astute. The price was very fair too. I would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
We used American Construction Services to change an electrical switch and repair a built-in drawer in the kitchen.

Category electrician, handyman service, woodworking

10/21/2009

JAMES B.

ACS were extremely professional and performed excellent work. All work was done on time and on budget. All the proper county permits, drawings, and inspections were performed. Pete was always available by phone if I had any questions. The only drawback was that the price seemed quite high (although this might be due to the nature of the work performed). All in all, though, I am quite satisfied.

Description of Work
Installed an egress window in my basement for a bedroom I was adding. Work required cutting into the poured concrete foundation wall w/ rebar, excavating a 3' x 4' window well, waterproofing the exterior foundation wall around the window, installing a retaining wall and ladder, installing the window, and weatherproofing all exposed joints.

Category egress windows, remodeling, replacement windows, basement waterproofing, foundation repair

08/14/2008

paul G.

Found rotten wood inside the house when removing baseboards. Called Pete for an estimate, but we were prepared for the actual cost to change based on the exploratory nature of the problem. Upon further exploration, we found the damage was not localized. It was caused by incorrect flashing from the roof, allowing water to get behind the siding. The main areas affected were the corners of the house. We also found old termite damage along the band boards at the base of the house. Almost the entire front of the house had to be rebuilt. Pete was an invaluable resource in the whole process. We had never dealt with such extensive damage before. He provided excellent advice in dealing with the insurance company. He always seemed concerned with doing the job right instead of just getting it done.

Description of Work
Practically rebuilt the entire front of our house. Replaced all wood damaged by water, fungus, and termites.

Category remodeling, water damage restoration, woodworking

02/07/2008

Tracy G.

Everyone we dealt with was courteous, professional, respectful, and pleasant. They started work the day we came home with a new baby and succeeded in keeping the construction dirt confined to the basement. They did everything they said they would do and it all looks fantastic. The time line was elongated by the waterproofing issue and the holidays but not egregiously so. Overall, we are exceptionally pleased with them and their quality of work. We will definitely be hiring them again to do some other projects - like an attic fan. I would recommend them wholeheartedly.

Description of Work
They finished our basement for us. This included creating 4 rooms (office, playroom, home entertainment, and laundry), a full bathroom, custom sound-proofing, and a custom wet bar. In the middle of the project, we discovered a water problem. While we did not use them for basement waterproofing, they were very professional and tolerant of the whole process.

Category remodeling, home remodeling, basement remodeling

08/12/2007

ANN S.

The experience throughout with Pena and Assoc was simply terrific. Jason Stock, the project manager, was prompt in responding to my initial phone call, and was always easy to communicate with by phone and e-mail. He was knowledgeable and helpful in coming up with the scope of work. Abner and his team came on the day and at the time arranged, and completed most of the work (except for the dining room window) within 4 days. The window boxes had to be built from scratch; the new ones are far better than the old ones, and the rather elaborate supports were replicated superbly. Replacement of the dining room window was done in one day, and the quality of the work on that is outstanding. And the garage is dry and sound for the first time in years. All the team members were delightful to work with, and I would hire them again in an instant.

Description of Work
A number of tasks were undertaken: Replacing rotted and deteriorated exterior wood trim and two window boxes with pressure treated wood; repairing water damage in the garage by replacing rotten wood (including diagnosing and repairing the cause); stucco patching on the house and garage; plastering and sanding several ceiling spots in the house; and replacing a triple window in the dining room.

Category handyman service, plastering, remodeling, water damage restoration, replacement windows, pressure washing, woodworking, stucco