Black Rock Stone Company

Founded 1988 • With Angi since November 2013

We are a local small family owned business. We offer high quality, personal and unique services. Since 1988, Roger Cooley's passion and details for his craftsmanship has built countless creations for his customers. Roger is very hands on and will see every project from beginning to end. Black Rock

masonry (22)stone & gravel (16)Patios (2)snow removal (2)

03/19/2020

Roger C.

I was very impressed with everything they did. They were timely, reasonably priced and did a really great job! I would definitely hire Roger Cooley again without getting competitive bids (I did on this job and they offered the best price). A real pleasure to work with Black Rock Stone Company and Roger Cooley.

Description of Work
Black Rock Stone Company replaced my front steps with new flagstones.

Work Completed On 03/23/2020

09/02/2019

Gabriel B.

Roger Cooley rebuilt the brick sides of our front steps. Plus, he and his assistant Jose, went round our 80 year old house and repaired all the weak mortar cracks. They did an excellent job and we were very pleased. Highly recommended! Thanks Roger!

Description of Work
Masonry repairs

Work Completed On 08/28/2019

04/09/2019

Vincent B.

We selected Black Rock Stone Company for the job because of the superior materials included in their work compared to other potential providers. Work was done on time despite poor weather. We will certainly use Black Rock Stone Company again.

Description of Work
Stone retaining wall and concrete work

Work Completed On 08/15/2018

12/24/2018

Timothy K.

Roger was very professional and personable when he came out to look at what the job entailed. He explained the work necessary to restore our walkway and also discussed ways to re-slope the walkway to allow water to flow away from our house. Roger was able to start the following week so that the walkway would be usable by Christmas. He personally laid the stone with an assistant. They tore out the old stone and old concrete base, raised and leveled the new base and fitted the new flagstone in a pleasing pattern. Roger took the time to show me what he was doing as he went along and to make sure that the work was the way I wanted it. My wife and I are very pleased with the way the project turned out and with Roger so much I had him talk to my neighbor about some sidewalk and chimney work she needs.

Description of Work
Our front sidewalk was destroyed when a large tree feel onto it during a windstorm. The flagstone walk in front of our door was smashed and torn up making walking in or out of our house difficult/dangerous.

Category patios

Work Completed On 12/20/2018

12/04/2018

asim A.

Roger is trustworthy, prompt, and conscientious. Not only did he do work quickly, efficiently, and at short notice the day before Thanksgiving, but he returned again at his own volition to do extra cleaning-up the week after.

Description of Work
Fix loose bricks in external wall

Work Completed On 11/21/2018

12/01/2018

Bethany C.

Roger did an excellent job. He matched our existing brick and completed the job quickly. I would recommend his company for any masonry projects.

Description of Work
Rebuild brick steps/pressure wash slate.

Work Completed On 12/01/2018

11/23/2018

Debbi D.

In the middle of digging a trench to waterproof our foundation we discovered that several below grade cinder blocks were disintegrating in our hands due to water and tree root incursion. I called Black Rock and Roger came for a quote that day, and able to fit me in the next day for repairs. Roger and his team showed up on time and the process went very smoothly. With bad weather on our doorstep, I was so pleased to get this job done in a timely fashion so I could finish waterproofing. The workmanship was thorough and I'm relieved to have my foundation fixed.

Description of Work
Cinder Block repair

Work Completed On 11/20/2018

10/31/2018

Harry A.

Roger and his assistant did an excellent job. They arrived promptly, keeping me informed by text message of they arrival, and completed the job in the time estimated. They made very neat repairs to the steps, and to the side of the house - both by matching the mortar color, and by carefully cleaning off excess mortar. In short - it was a very professionally conducted repair - and performed for a fair price. Very happy with the finished product.

Description of Work
Repairs to brickwork on front steps and side of house.

Work Completed On 10/31/2018

08/25/2018

Alan Y.

The work was excellent in all regards. Roger and crew arrived exactly on time, worked hard and were very thorough. The walk and stoop now look fantastic!

Description of Work
Front walk and front door stoop composed of slate stones was powerwashed and repointed. One stone was replaced.

Work Completed On 08/23/2018

06/22/2018

John G.

Roger was prompt and work was done in only one day.

Description of Work
Re-built existing brick porch and point-up slate walkway

Work Completed On 06/04/2018

06/04/2018

Laura G.

Absolutely amazing. My property has (for its size) fairly extensive hardscaping. I've used other masons in the past with good results, but the price was always a bit more than I expected. Roger came in at a fair price and delivered far more than what I was expecting. His company's attention to detail was excellent, and this was something I haven't had with other masons in the past. His experience was evident in the way he finished the project and handled any questions I had during the process. I plan to use Roger in the near future to touch up some work other masons left unfinished.

Description of Work
(1) Leveled 400 sq/ft back stone patio. (2) Built a new stone retaining wall 40 linear feet X 16 inches.

Category masonry, pavers, gravel, patios

Work Completed On 05/22/2018

10/03/2017

Andrew I.

I received 5 or 6 quotes to repair a retaining wall and flagstone walkway in the front of my house. I selected Roger not only due to his competitive pricing, but also because he seemed to care about the work the most. He finished all of the work in one day with one other worker. They left the area clean and did a great job. Since I elected to not set the flagstone in cement, but rather in stone dust, Roger has periodically come back to check on the pathway to see how the stones are settling. He also promptly addressed an area of concern of mine. He really does take pride in his work, so I trust if any issues should arise in the next year or so with the work, he'll be out to fix it immediately!

Description of Work
Repair a retaining wall and flagstone walkway in the front of my house.

Work Completed On 09/05/2017

09/21/2017

Kevin A.

It went very well. This is my second time using Roger and I am always impressed with his skill and punctuality.

Description of Work
I had a retaining wall that had begun to fall apart.

Category pavers, gravel

Work Completed On 09/21/2017

09/11/2017

Susan S.

All of the work was done professionally and on time. The work done looks good and has not had any problems in the 2 months since it was completed.

Description of Work
Re-fit stone slates on a porch, re-build a 3-step brick stairway to the porch, and regrade and re-lay slate path to the stairway.

Work Completed On 07/03/2017

07/31/2017

Amy K.

We have been extremely pleased with each type of service they offer. Highly recommend them!

Description of Work
We have relied on Black Rock for many years for snow removal. Black Rock has also helped with repairs to our front walk as well as with gravel for a pathway.

Category masonry, pavers, gravel, snow removal

Work Completed On 03/01/2017

06/21/2017

Keith M.

There was a crew of 3 including Roger. They completed all the work listed above in 9 days, including the addition of stairs to the back patio extension where the property sloped downward. The crew was professional, punctual, and knowledgable. Roger made sure all our questions were addressed, that we understood what needed to be done for a long lasting professional job, and met all of our expectations.

Description of Work
Front porch and side stoop needed old flagstones removed and replaced. Roger brought samples for us to see as part of the proposal process. The back brick patio had a 12 ft planter that needed to be removed and replaced. We also asked for the patio to be extended another 6 ft all along the back of the house to the driveway using flagstones on 'blue dust' rather than cement.

Work Completed On 06/15/2017

Review for Black Rock Stone Company - 17305 Black Rock Rd., Germantown, MD - 35298585

06/15/2017

Larra V.

GREAT. The price was very competitive and the quality is great. Roger wants to make sure his customers are happy, he even filled in some stone dust for me in my year-old patio he did last year while he was here doing the new patio.

Description of Work
Roger did three projects for me over a year time-span. He did a new flagstone patio, a flagstone patio extension and an underground outdoor speaker wire installation (using pvc pipe).

Work Completed On 06/15/2017

05/24/2017

Pamela K.

We hired Black Rock to come out and re-do our front stoop. After speaking to Roger about what we wanted I knew immediately that he was experienced and left him to do his work. Roger and his crew were always punctual, professional and responsive. The finished product was so beautiful we called him back a week later to pull up our walkway and put a new one down! They were so good that we hope we have another project we can call them to do in the future! Thank you, Roger!

Description of Work
We hired Black Rock to come out and re-do our front stoop and also our front walkway.

Work Completed On 05/24/2017

04/27/2017

Gail M.

We cannot say enough good things about Roger. He was punctual, courteous, hardworking, honest, and communicative. Due to weather, the project took a couple days, but he always told us what to expect and completed the work to our satisfaction. When it comes time to redo the rest of the path, we will definitely go with Black Rock and Roger.

Description of Work
We had a broken front stoop that was a serious hazard! Also our front entry path stones just looked dirty and dingy.

Work Completed On 04/26/2017

Thank you for your kind words. We're looking forward to working with you again on any future projects!

02/24/2017

Marni G.

Very well. Very responsive. Showed up on time. Cleaned up and repaired everything perfectly. Would definitely use again. This company was recommended to me by many of my neighbors.

Description of Work
Brick Repair, Stone Wall Repair, Power washing of brick

Work Completed On 02/22/2017

Thank you for your kind words. Looking forward to working with you again for any future projects!

01/23/2017

Amy K.

Roger does great work and is reliable in doing what we ask in a timely manner. Very transparent on pricing. A true professional.

Description of Work
Brickwork repair, Stone drainage system, snow removal

Category masonry, pavers, gravel, snow removal

Work Completed On 10/05/2016

Thank you for the kind words and look forward to working with you in the future !

01/23/2017

Jim F.

Over the years I have hired Roger at Black Rock Stone Company for multiple patio's at different houses I have owned, a front walkway, a stone fireplace and a stone bar. Roger does "excellent" work; price is very fair - not the cheapest - not the most expensive. I have and will continue to refer customers to Black Rock and Roger is my go to for any stone or flagstone work. Jim Foley - North Potomac

Work Completed On 05/12/2015