James L Graves Construction

Maryland
Maryland: General

750 Route 3 South Suite 2A

Gambrills, MD 21054

We are taking additional precautions to protect our customers.

James L. Graves Construction is a full service Builder/Re-modeler where "Quality without compromise" is our philosophy. We are an A rated Better Business Bureau Company, Angie's List Super Service Award Winner Every Year Since 2006. EPA Lead Safe Paint Certified Firm, Members of the National Association of Home Builders/Re-modelers, Maryland Home Builders Association, National Kitchen and Bath Association and an Approved Veterans Specially Adapted Housing Certified Builder. Each of our divisions operates under the same principle: You deserve a partner that has the expertise to guide you through every step of your project....

home remodeling (140)plumbers (35)drywall (34)electrician (32)interior painting (31)flooring (23)door installation (22)roofing (20)hardwood floors (13)window replacement (11)siding companies (10)HVAC Companies (8)

06/07/2021

Gregory W.

Superb! My first remodeling experience. Jim Graves and his team flawlessly managed the entire process from estimate to design to demolition to "build". First rate team for every effort. Jim was engaged at every step of the way, and the foreman was experienced, hard-working, professional, and communicative. Honest, transparent & understandable pricing, and most of all - they know the work. Jim has over 40 years of experience, and it is evident in the pride he takes in his projects. Overall, great pros to work with. I would unhesitatingly use them again!

Description of Work
Main Bathroom Renovation (Total)

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 06/07/2021

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for taking the time to write this review. I was a pleasure working for you. Your bathroom turned out AMAZING! Recreating your Master bath as one space with a new open concept made a huge difference. The design work and material selection you worked out with us in the showroom really paid off. Now you have a beautiful Master bath that will stand the test of time for decades to come. Thanks for the opportunity to work with you.

11/03/2020

Shirley D.

We chose James L. Graves after getting 3 bids. They were the middle bid. We had a special request to change our soffits in addition to replacing the roof and gutters for maximum roof ventilation. The Salesman, Bryan was very accommodating with this request since most companies do not normally deal with aluminum soffit material but they were willing to work with us and get us what we requested. The roofers did a really good job. No mess. Bryan came by about 5 times during the install which took 2 days for our house. Gutter and soffit replacement went well also.

Description of Work
Replaced Roof, Gutters, and Soffits.

Category gutter repair,roofing

Work Completed On 11/03/2020

Thank you so much for your kind review and valuable feedback. We are a full service General Contractor with 47 years of construction experience that provides full home renovation services, which is why we have more capability than a contractor that primarily just does roofing and siding, I will make sure Bryan is made aware of your "A" rating and review of his professionalism and quality customer service. Thanks, Jim Graves President

08/14/2020

Christopher J.

I would recommend this business to anyone. JL Graves redid our kitchen. It is in a projected room off the back of the house, mostly covered in glass. On the second day of demolition they discovered that the entire back wall along with the rafter ends were rotted out, presumably from an inept installation of gutters that allowed water to leak into the wall. I suspect that this would be well outside the wheelhouse of most remodelers. There was a lot of reviewing of the situation – the original glass installation was custom made and an expert on glass installation was brought in whose advice was overruled by the owner, one of several decisions that he made that seem to reflect his extensive experience . Ultimately the roof was rebuilt, the rotten rafter ends replaced with a technique called scarf jointing, apparently a boat building technique that the project manager, Mitch, knew how to do. The owner James Graves was very involved in the project and visited regularly. We are very happy with the final result and consider ourselves lucky that we used their company.

Description of Work
Full kitchen remodeling

Category custom cabinets,ceramic tile,roofing,replacement windows,home security systems,woodworking,marble & granite,home remodeling

Work Completed On 05/02/2020

[Member Name Removed], I just wanted to say what a pleasurer it was to work with you. Your project was challenging and very rewarding at the same time. I have to say the results were fantastic and a wonderful complement to your already beautiful home. We appreciate the opportunity and trust you put in us, and thank you for your kind and complimentary words.

01/11/2020

Monica P.

We are very happy with the installation of new siding on our home. The representative (Bryan) from James L Graves was very knowledgeable and helpful in working with our family throughout the process. He answered any questions or concerns about working on our older home and wanted our family to be completed satisfied. The onsite staff was very professional and did a great job!. We would definitely hire the company again for future work.

Description of Work
replace siding

Category siding

Work Completed On 12/26/2019

Review for James L Graves Construction - 750 Route 3 South, Gambrills, MD - 38346580

Thank you so much [Member Name Removed]. We are happy to hear this.

10/14/2019

Robert S.

I couldn’t have asked for a better company for the projects I had done and the issues that arouse. Bryan started the process with me, and was there until the end making sure everything was alright. JLG was flexible and has the resources to fix problems that can arise. I started by getting 5 quotes for my project. A new roof, gutters, and front facade/trim replacement. By being more than a roofing company they were able to do all of the projects. Of the 5 quotes, the lowest and highest were very off, and of the 3 close ones, JLG offered the most at the best/lowest price. With a barn style roof, the second floor of my house has shingles on it, not siding which really drove up the price from some of the other companies. I had solar panels on my roof, and after signing the contract, they waited a month until the solar company could take them off. Within a week of knowing the solar panel removal date, they were ready to start. The roof was first. Crew was great, and professional. After removing the shingles, they replaced the plywood on roof as needed, they inspected and only replaced what was necessary. As they starting to put the new ones back on, they found out there had been a leak in one of my dormers. After closer inspection, it was found to be a long-time leak. All of the wood from the roof to the floor joists of the second floor was completely rotted. The wood was black, and just flaked off when touched. JLG was able to get someone over that day to look at the problem (Jim, the owner), assess it, and get someone to start working on fixing it. They kept me informed and gave me options to choose from on fixing the problem. By the next day, the hole in the side of my house was fixed, and covered. They removed part of a inside room wall, replaced it, added new floor joists, wall studs, drywall, subflooring, and fixed the roof wood work. Structurally everything was fixed. With that done they could finish the roof, and wait to finish the inside room work. I also had 4 skylights replaced, two sealed and two manual open. Gutters were done as the roof work ended, no issues, they replaced them and I had gutter guards installed. They work better than my old ones and no more gutter cleaning. The front facade and trim wood, was old, paint was starting to flake, and a woodpecker had been putting holes in it. They replaced the facade and trim on the front with new vinyl pieces and painted them. Really made the front of the house look better. The gutters were 2 days and the front part was a day. As JLG recommended, I kept at least 10% of the total project cost amount available for unforeseen issues. I knew replacing some of the plywood on the house would be needed. But, had no idea about the roof leak. Everything happened behind the wall, nothing was visible from the inside on the house. Replacing the stud and joists wood, outer plywood, and inside walls was all a surprise. JLG was able to handle it, and kept me informed on what was being done and was able to give me rough price estimates as the work continued so I could make sure I had everything covered. They made sure there were no surprises on the costs for the additional work. Everything was less than their worst-case estimate. Since they had someone there to repair the room, I also had them add the trim for the skylight back where needed and help fix a soft spot in one of my rooms. He was able to fix them all. All of the different crews cleaned up when done and didn’t leave a mess behind. With the leak and repair issues, the project got extended, but JLG kept everything moving ahead as much as they could. The original quote was good, and the cost of unexpected repairs was reasonable. Everyone from the house workers to the office staff were nice and courteous. I have another large project I need to do and will definitely be contacting Bryan about what JLG can offer on it.

Description of Work
I had my roof singles replaced, gutters replaced, and new front facade and trim put in. When unexpected issues came up, they were able to fix them too.

Category drywall,gutter repair,remodeling,roofing,water damage restoration,woodworking

Work Completed On 09/25/2019

[Member Name Removed] thank you for taking the time to provide us with this write up on your experience with us. Your project certainly was not without challenges and it was fortunate that we discovered the leak and structural rot before it got any worse. We appreciate the opportunity and are glad you are pleased with our services and workmanship, It was a pleasure to work for you and we look forward to building out your new deck project for you. Jim Graves

05/14/2019

Ashley G.

We are so happy with our new roof! This is a pricey purchase so we wanted to select the right company for the job. They offered the best roofing material for a reasonable price. Bryan was responsive and we had the job scheduled quickly. The crew cleaned up every nail and roof material both days as if they weren’t even there. The final product looks great!

Description of Work
Replaced roof

Category roofing,home remodeling

Work Completed On 05/14/2019

Review for James L Graves Construction - 750 Route 3 South, Gambrills, MD - 37874344

HI [Member Name Removed], I am so glad you had a great experience with us. We truly appreciate the opportunity to do this project for you. As you mentioned we only use the best quality GAF materials, certified installation with our lifetime labor and material warranty. You don't have to worry about your roof anymore!

04/25/2019

Joseph B.

Excellent work. Workers commenced work when stated and performed each task as required. Workers were professional at all times.

Description of Work
Complete kitchen remodel.

Category custom cabinets,ceramic tile,countertops,electrician,flooring contractor,lighting,remodeling,woodworking,marble & granite,home remodeling

Work Completed On 04/20/2019

04/22/2019

Mary H.

We were very nervous as this was our first remodel. I can’t be more happy with the both the process and results. The designer helped us to zero in on our style and the on site carpenter was highly skilled, professional and detailed oriented. The results have wowed family and friends! We need our bathroom remodeled next and they are our choice already.

Description of Work
Kitchen/Great Room remodel

Category ceramic tile,countertops,drywall,electrician,flooring contractor,picture framing,glass repair,lighting,plumbing,woodworking,home remodeling,interior painters,doors

Work Completed On 04/22/2019

04/01/2019

Robert I.

My wife and I hired them to remodel our kitchen and most of the first floor. From the design phase with Lana and Beth through the entire project with Mark and Jim they were very professional very easy to work with. The project was done on time and no surprises. They were thorough, paid attention to the small details, kept us informed as to their progress, and were always professional in their work and attitude. I highly recommend them and would not hesitate to hire them again. We are looking to redo our bathrooms next.

Description of Work
Remodel Kitchen and Dinning Room

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 03/01/2019

01/28/2019

Margaret G.

It was wonderful,. They did a great job, taking very little time off for Christmas and Thanksgiving even. They do one job at a time, so there was someone there every day and things got done or fixed daily. Both the kitchen and bath look just gorgeous. They have you pick out all your materials before you sign a contract: hardware, stove and other appliances, countertops, sinks, lighting --everything. That way, when you go for the contract, they know the cost of everything. No surprises. And everything was exactly to our desires. I can't say enough good about the Jim Graves people. Just terrific. (and Joe - I think you were super!).

Description of Work
We remodelled our kitchen and bath. Both were gutted and rebuild.

Category countertops,drywall,electrician,glass repair,insulation,lighting,marble & granite,home remodeling,interior painters,doors

Work Completed On 01/26/2019

Interior remodeling, kitchen, bathroom and basemenet design and finish, cabinets, countertops, tile, hardwood,floor coverings, drywall, interior and exterior painting, custom decks and patios, sprinkler systems, roofing, siding, windows, doors, handy man services,concrete, asphault, gutters and siding, decks, porches, walkways, all carpentry, electrical, plumbing, irrigation systems & landscaping.

Utility work & swimming pools.

Check, PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Financing