Chesapeake Landscape & Design

Founded 1986 • With Angi since July 2005

1300 Defense Hwy

Gambrills, MD 21054

Our comprehensive integrated approach ensures that the proper plants, hardscaping, irrigation and lighting are chosen for your specific site. Whether you want to install an irrigation system, build a patio, add outdoor lighting, add pavers, or create a whole new landscape, Chesapeake Landscape &

09/23/2017

Susan V.

I have used them before. I used them to landscape my front yard, back yard and to do some hardscaping back there.

Description of Work
(For) landscaping we had Chesapeake Landscape & Design do a front and backyard Spring clean up, where they edged all my flower beds, mulched them and trimmed bushes and trees. They also installed one and a half tons of river jack. They removed the weeds, the leaves and the debris. They edged and mulched it with shredded hardwood -- that was about 22 yards. I had a lot of stuff.

Category landscaping, mulch, tree service

10/13/2016

Arthur J.

They've maintained our yard for 9 years. They do a good service, this year I had a problem that they didn't want to address until the beginning of the year and that was a concern.

Description of Work
They fertilize and treat the grass.

Category lawn treatment

05/07/2015

Lila S.

Everything was done beautifully. It only took them several days to do what would have taken me a week. Everything was done as promised and it looked wonderful. I will gladly use them again.

Description of Work
I have 4 foot beds surrounding my house. They were all overgrown and filled with weeds. They came in and removed all the weeds, trimmed the bushes and flowers and put down fresh mulch. They also cut back several ornamental grasses in the yard.

Category landscaping, lawn service, mulch

02/03/2015

Paul E.

The jobs took a few days in total. We had them do 2 phases to our project. They were pretty much on time and did exactly what we wanted. Shannon was very professional and helpful. We will probably be using them to do the rest of our front area in the spring. I would recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
Laid sod and pulled out weeds and growth in 50% of our front lawn.

04/23/2014

Nancy P.

The workers were on time and completed the work on schedule. Everything was cleaned up after the work was completed. I was satisfied with the brick work but the landscaping was not professional. I specifically asked for the landscaping to look professional and have color year round and even showed a neighbor's yard as an example. It ended up looking like a bunch of weeds in the summer/fall (lots of leaves and no color) and a bunch of sticks in the winter. No where near the look of a professional landscape job. There were a few plants that died and they did replace them. Although they tried to blame it on me for not watering which was not the case. Overall, the brick work was fine, the landscaping was poorly designed and a waste of money. I would not use this company again.

Description of Work
Install retaining wall and border edging; redo landscaping

07/17/2013

Michelle V.

They seemed really great but ultimately we ended up going with another company based on the strong recommendation of our landscape architect. We never actually went through and have them do the job but they seemed that they were very professional. The estimate was good. The plans were good. It's just that we went with somebody else. The bid was for $3500. They have prompt customer service. They were very polite. They were really good at staying in touch with us by email and getting us a copy of the estimate and plan by email.

Description of Work
We met with Chesapeake Landscape & Design and got a bid from them. It was for dealing with the grading around the perimeter of our house's foundation and landscaping bushes.

Category landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment

Hi [member name removed], Thank you for the nice review! Jon enjoyed meeting with you regarding your wall, walkway and drainage. Please let us know if you need any help in the future!

06/03/2013

zachary W.

Got a response a day or two after my initial email. Was told it would be the next week for someone to come look at it. Lined it up for the following week at 12pm so I could leave work and meet John at my house for the survey. I was there and waiting at 11:50. Finally received a call at 12:15 saying "The rain messed me up this morning, I'm not going to be able to make it". May not seem like a big deal to some but this is a simple lack of professionalism. Unfortunately I've encountered this many times. It makes me wonder how people run a business. You mean to tell me in the age of the cell phone that you can't take 30 seconds to call someone earlier than 15 minutes late? The rain has been forecasted for days. Either careless or incompetent. I guess the bright side is I'd rather determine that now versus when they are working on my house

Description of Work
Asked for a quote to remove some ivy and ground cover in two areas and some stone mulch and weed mat installed.

Category landscaping, lawn treatment, pavers, gravel

We are very sorry (deleted member name) is so unhappy about his planned meeting with Jon. He is correct in saying that Jon had said he would be at his home at noon, but what was also arranged was for Jon to call (deleted member name) in advance of Jon’s arrival since (deleted member name) told Jon he lives very close to his work. Jon had no idea (deleted member name) would be waiting. That said, we agree that Jon should have contacted (deleted member name) earlier to say he would not be able to make the appointment.

04/23/2013

Susan H.

They did OK. I probably won't return to them for any additional work.

Description of Work
We went with Chesapeake because they actually took the time to go over a new patio design with us. We loved the design and the patio turned out great, except that now the sitting walls are starting to lean outward. I hope they don't collapse. The landscape looked great after they were done; however, three years later, plants that needed sun and plants that should have been in the shade were not thriving. We've had to replace 50% of Chesapeake's plantings less than 8 years after the work was completed. I'm not happy about that. Like I said earlier, I hope the sitting wall doesn't collapse. Also, I paid an additional $900 for a drainage system that has never worked. I really go taken on this because 75 feet of drain tile and some stone, buried a couple of feet deep doesn't equal $900. My backyard is still under water during moderate rain and is a mess.

Category landscaping, drain pipe, hardscaping

12/12/2012

Michael H.

. I originally wrote a disparaging review of Chesapeake Landscape and Design due to non-responsiveness and follow-up on appointment for an estimate. I was subsequently contacted by Bell Hartnack and it was explained that the person I was dealing with had a serious health issue and was hospitalized and they apologized for not following up. I was subsequently put in touch with the same person as before, who had recovered from the health episode. We scheduled another appointment for an estimate, which was accomplished in a timely manner. The quoted cost was reasonable and we signed a contract. They scheduled the work at my convenience and it was performed very well and in a timely manner. Kudos to Bell Hartnack and Chuck Slater for their friendly, courteous and professional service and reponsiveness. We are extremely pleased with the quality of the work and the look of the area.

Description of Work
Graded area beneath a newly installed deck, installed "railroad ties' around perimeter, laid and tacked down underlayment and installed stone/gravel. Also buried an existing downspot drain under this area.

Category landscaping, pavers, gravel

Thank you so much for writing this! We really do try to do our best to meet our clients needs. Chuck enjoyed meeting and working with you!

11/18/2012

Linda R.

It actually took several attempts for chuck to come out and provide an estimate. It was understandable, as he said that there were a couple of things that came up. The plus was that he actually did call back (which I was not expecting) and made an appointment to come out and give me an estimate. He arrived promptly, looked at my front yard, and wrote down all the things that I wanted done. He told me that he would e-mail me with an estimate in the next couple of days, which he did (I also was not expecting to get the estimate, based on past experience with other landscapers) Since he was more expensive than the other ones, I did not go with this company. Overall, though, he was very professional and made good on calling me back and coming out to do an estimate.

Description of Work
Replace shrubs with 3 azalea bushes, build retainer wall in front, install french drain, seed front and back yard.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

11/01/2012

David H.

They did an excellent job. No complaints. The yard looks great. The quote and closing of the agreement went smoothly.

Description of Work
Landscaping work: 1. Regraded and removed dirt, stumps, and dead dogwood tree from the front of the house. Installed new leaf/comprro and topsoil. 2. Installed new sod to all the described areas outfront. 3. Installed brick lined planting areas. 4. Transplanted Azaleas.

10/27/2012

David H.

The quote was timely. The work was performed on time. It was a good thing that we stayed around to keep the crew from making some mistakes in the layout. Essentially, we supervised the crew. There was very little supervision by the company's management. The work crew was great. They worked hard in some of the hotest heat of the year. They listened to us and took care of the layout dveiations immediately.

Description of Work
grading, path/garden edging, stone paths.

06/03/2012

Maria M.

We received several estimates for cleanup and mulching of landscaped areas around our home. Jon was the most responsive and thorough in both the estimate and question process. The work was performed in one day to the stated specs and we are very pleased with the results.We would use Chesapeake again.

Description of Work
The landscaping project covered clean up, removal of dead plants, pruning, and mulching of landscaped areas all around our home. They also installed a pop up drain off one of our downspouts.

05/21/2012

Elizabeth T.

I am happy with their work. They were really easy to work with. They got the job done on time and on budget. They helped me with getting the permit and everything else which was required. I would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
I used Chesapeake Landscape & Design to build a new deck and patio.

Category decks

05/17/2012

Tracey T. S.

Great. The price was a little high. What surprised me was Chesapeake Landscape Design subcontracted the job to Campbell Improvements. Campbell Improvements is awesome. They were timely, extremely professional and did a fabulous job. They came back a few times to re-seat pavers that had worked themselves loose. Next time, I would go directly with Campbell Improvements - they are honest, good guys and really do a great job.

Description of Work
Removed landscape ties holding pavers and replaced with invisibile edging. Changed the angle of the driveway signifcantly and repaired the driveway skirt.

Category hardscaping

We are sorry the customer was unhappy with our pricing. The reason for the price change was because additional work was requested beyond the original scope of work contracted. But we are very happy the customer was pleased with the project!

03/03/2012

Christopher B.

Jon was quick to respond. Provided an estimate under my expectations. Developed a detailed plan within 2 days, and provided it by email (my preferred communication). He was able to schedule his folks for 2 weeks out, and they did an excellent job without damaging any bushes. The new system that he designed works great. No more flooding in the basement.

Description of Work
Fixed drainage problems - developed drainage solution for downspouts and sump-pump including drywells.

10/25/2011

David H.

They showed up when promised and on time. They did a great job...it looks terrific.

Description of Work
Our lawn was terribly torn up due to large trees coming down during Hirricane Irene. It needed to be graded and sod put down. Also had them do some landscape borders and move a couple of bushes. They brought in a stump grinder to remove surface roots and stumps.

Category landscaping, lawn service

06/10/2011

David P.

. They did a good job. Their price was good. They were easy to work with. Whatever the issues they were willing to fix them. I had three bids and theirs was the best. I would use them in the future.

Description of Work
. CHESAPEAKE LANDSCAPE & DESIGN installed a patio behind my house, some pavers, some river rock under the beds, installed some planters, trash can pans in and around the house.

Category fencing, landscaping

05/02/2011

Michael A.

Overall, the experience was very good. They did a really nice job. The price was mid-range compared with the other estimates that I had received. The technicains were prompt, completed the work, and answered any questions that I had. We're happy with the outcome. Just recently I noticed that there Crepe Myrtye were not blooming; I called them because it wasn't blooming and they were responsive and informed me that I should wait a few more weeks, and they was right. I'd use their services again in the future.

Description of Work
Installed a new front walkway (used pavers), general lawn & yard work, installed gutter piping (to have the water drain away from the home).

Category landscaping, lawn service, hardscaping

04/21/2009

Kim H.

Mark was on time, professional,very knowledgable, and friendly. He was able to see the visualize the design and share the vision. He was able to answer all questions and pointed out things that we were not aware of in the decision making process. He delivered a detailed proposal along with rendering of all 4 seasons, for our HOA board to go over. He delivered the proposal on time as he said he would and it's within our budget! He took the time to go over the plants used and why. I hope that our HOA board selects this company as I find the quality, integrity and workmanship of this company is what we need for our projected outcome to be the best that it could be!

Description of Work
Mark Huebner from Chesapeake Landscape and Design came out to look at our community fountains that we would like to convert to landscaped flowerbed.

02/02/2009

SARAH C.

It was great! Dave Kraft showed up on time for estimate, and came back again on a Saturday with stone samples. Work started as scheduled, and they came every day until the project was finished. They cleaned up everything when they were done and re-seeded a section of our lawn where they had parked equipment. The finished product is absolutely beautiful. We could not be more satisfied.

Description of Work
Removed a section of driveway, leveled it, re-did in pavers. Replaced wooden front steps with stone, did a sidewalk in pavers. Built a retaining wall and a stone planter

09/13/2007

SARAH C.

Chesapeake was a terrible company to deal with. They first came out in the Winter and said they would need $400 to develop a design, which would come off the job if they did it. They couldn't adequately assess the job in the Winter, since there was snow on the ground so I called them back in the Spring. They would not return calls. When I finally was able to set an appointment and we took time off of work to be there, they never showed up.

Description of Work
I contacted Chesapeake Landscape to estimate a job for me. They had good prices and the work we had seen of theirs, looked good. They came out and looked over the property to do a design featuring grading, installing a privacy fence of trees and an exposed deck. ($400)

09/13/2007

Category landscaping

CHESAPEAKE LANDSCAPE & DESIGN WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE FOR THE BEHAVIOR OF THE SALESPERSON THAT WAS TO HANDLE THIS CALL. WE DO NOT HANDLE OUR BUSINESS IN THIS RUDE FASHION. WE HAVE SINCE LET THAT SALESPERSON GO FOR SUCH BEHAVIOR. WE DO NOT TOLERATE THIS FROM ANY OF OUR EMPLOYEES. WE ARE VERY SORRY AND WOULD LIKE FOR THE CUSTOMER TO ACCEPT OR APOLOGY AND TRY TO GIVE US A SECOND CHANCE. ALL OF OUR STAFF IS TO ACT IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER.

06/24/2007

BARBARA C.

06/24/2007

BARBARA C.

ON THE GREEN INC

On The Green, Inc. guarantees to produce a thicker, greener, healthier lawn! Our Green Care Lawn Program includes organic fertilizers, poly-coated slow-release products, liquid weed controls and the latest technologies in the industry. In addition to lawn care our Certified Technicians can provide Pest Control Services for Mosquitoes, Ants, Ticks, Rodents, Roaches and other Home Pests. As an industry expert, over 25 years experience and 5 star reviews On The Green, Inc. is the perfect company to care for your lawn and home.

Maryland Lighting & Sprinklers

Maryland Lighting and Sprinklers is a local veteran owned company that services both residential and commercial customers. From service to installation we are the leading company for irrigation, and outdoor lighting. We offer 24hr service for all irrigation customers as well.

Arp Contracting

We are a full service lawn care company, From Weeky accounts to bi weekly , WE ARE STILL TAKING CUSTOMERS FOR WEEKLY AND BI-WEEKLY .. mulch , topsoil ect.. Also now offering delivery of Mulch , Topsoil, Stone ect Please call for more info

Check, Visa, MasterCard

Design, Hardscapes, Plants ,Water Features, Lighting, Pools , Irrigation, Maintenance, Snow Removal, Integrated Pest Management, Retaining & Sitting Walls, Outdoor Fireplaces & Firepits, Turf Management - Driveways, Patios & Walkways - Outdoor Kitchens & Living Spaces, Stump Removal, Holiday Decorations, Snow Removal, Seasonal Colorscaping, Holiday Lighting, Erosion Control, Drainage, Reforestation, Wetland Mitigation