City Renovations & Remodeling LLC

Founded 1987 • With Angi since June 2010

City Renovations & Remodeling, LLC, a Professional Design Build company, with one simple concept in mind, “We Create Your Thoughts”. Michael Wiggs, founder and CEO, believes in providing customers with a one of a kind design and remodeling experience. This approach gives our customers the

Basement Remodel

202220744
Basement storage remodel to live in suite
Basement Remodel project

Custom Bathroom project

Custom Bathroom

202220019
View project

handyman (209)electrician (68)drywall (48)home remodeling (37)plumbers (36)lighting (35)interior painting (30)window replacement (19)basement remodeling (17)woodworking (17)HVAC Companies (10)flooring (10)

12/03/2019

Jen G.

Although we wound up going with a different contractor, the folks at City Renovations were fantastic. They were very responsive, checked in to see if we had questions, and their process for allowing customers to monitor jobs seemed top-notch. Mike and Simone were both wonderful. Although we did not use City Renovations this time, we are keeping them at the top of our list for future renovations as well as smaller jobs.

Description of Work
Remodel of existing attic to add dormers, bathroom

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 11/12/2019

07/06/2019

Karen W.

It went very well. Very professional and competent. A good experience!

Description of Work
Repaired cracked outside area over Bay Windows. Repaired ceiling opening indoors

Work Completed On 07/06/2019

We are still working to resolve her leak issue though but we r excited to have a happy customer.

04/16/2019

Colette G.

I was very satisfied with the work that was done.

Description of Work
I had carpentry work done, and closet door fixed.

Category handyman service, remodeling

Work Completed On 04/16/2019

It was a pleasure working with you. I hope to hear from you soon, call us for anything from a new roof to putting a battery into your smoke detector. dont forget our little joke of don'ts Mike

02/03/2019

Linda D.

Work was done timely and professionally.

Description of Work
Plumbing repair of toilet and install shower. Patch hole in wall. Install handrail and repaired ceiling light.

Category drywall, electrician, handyman service, lighting, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 02/01/2019

01/26/2019

Gina B.

I highly recommend City Renovations and Remodeling to new and experienced homeowners and investors. In fact, Mike Wiggs, owner of the company, was highly recommended to me from a trusted source. Mike has been my designer, general contractor and project manager for over three years. He and his team of subcontractors for all the trades and handymen have successfully completed numerous projects for me. The internal big jobs included Mike and his team remodeling my basement into a permitted apartment with an egress window, injection well system, and recessed lighting; remodeling my kitchen into a larger space, better layout and upgraded appliances, cabinets, backsplashes (e.g., switching from an electric cooktop island to a slide-in gas range and installing a peninsula); changing the location of the sliding door and a set of windows in my sunroom for better flow and sightline from the front door entry to the patio door leading to my wooded backyard; replacing the damaged one of the two HVAC systems (i.e., one for the first floor and basement and the other for the second floor); and whole house interior painting and decorative touches (accent walls, trim, etc.) The external big jobs included Mike and his team resolving the sources of severe water damage to my two-story front door entry area and installing a new door, side lites and stoop. He resolved other water problems at my house by installing upgraded, larger gutters connecting to a new underground drainage system, and re-grading a section of the backyard next to my house in order to better collect water coming onto the house and move it away from the house. The other jobs Mike and his team completed include installing decorative lighting in the front of my house and security lighting at the sides and back; installing and repairing wooden privacy fencing in my backyard; washing away years of mold, mildew and stains from the siding of my house; and installing shelving for two closets and the laundry room to increase my storage space. After years of City Renovations and Remodeling successfully improving or repairing my home, I hired the company to help me with an investment rental property. Mike completed a walk-thru assessment and report to supplement the information from the home inspector and appraiser. Through my pre-purchase consultation with Mike, I got a good idea of what it would take improve the property given my goals and budget. I look forward to working with Mike and his team to renovate the property.

Description of Work
Remodeling of basement, kitchen, renovation of whole house, other improvements and repairs.

Category ceramic tile, decks, drywall, electrician, fencing, flooring contractor, gutter repair, handyman service, hardwood floor, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, water damage restoration, basement waterproofing, pressure washing, architect, home remodeling, interior painters, doors, drain cleaning, energy audit, basement remodeling, driveway gates, patios

Work Completed On 01/26/2019

01/24/2019

Mary H.

I used another Handy Man named BAM. he lives closer to me. I determined this by his phone area code.

Description of Work
I placed grab bars in my main bathroom so that I could get out of my bath tib

Work Completed On 01/03/2019

01/23/2019

Elaine L.

My "no" on hire again should really be a "maybe." Finished project looks nice. Mike is responsive and honest. It's clear that he takes pride in the finished work. I would consider him for a handyman project, but not a significant job. I thought I was paying (what felt to me like a retail price) for a project managed by a general contractor with the work done by subs -- carpenter, painter, tile worker, plumber. But Mike staffed it like a handyman project. In that respect, I don't feel that I got the best value for the money. We had some communication issues. I'm not a contractor and didn't understand/anticipate things that Mike had in mind. That issue might have been mitigated by the use of a designer. I didn't click with the cabinet vendor. Mike should have known that the cabinet order was not finalized or placed. We had a delay of a couple weeks because of that. Then, we had another delay of a couple weeks because the sink arrived damaged. I'm thinking that Mike should have unpacked the sink when it arrived, so he could have ordered its replacement - thus avoiding that delay? The tile came out uneven in a couple places and had to be redone. It still isn't perfect, but the imperfections aren't noticeable. Use of a tile contractor might have avoided this? The drain venting for the toilet remains a perplexing issue, and perhaps use of a plumber would have avoided this? Not sure. Mike assures me they didn't touch the drain vents. As it is, a toilet flush causes the sink drain to gurgle unless water has just been run in the sink. Mike is still trying to resolve this. Delays on the project understandably created conflict in the household. Some stress is to be expected in a construction zone located inside an occupied dwelling -- but I love construction and my husband is generally easy going. Nonetheless, in this case, my husband and I came into unnecessary conflict because of the glitches noted above.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel

Category ceramic tile, drywall, lighting, plastering, plumbing, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 01/23/2019

Review for City Renovations & Remodeling LLC - 938 E Swann Creek Rd, Fort Washington, MD - 37672654

Im sorry that this project turned out the way it did. I wish I had more hands on. It was a pull and replace tub, toilet, vanity, tub wall and mirror. No plumbing, no electrical. Specialty trades not needed. In short, this was a handyman project. A remodel to us, is a full gut, items moving and structural alterations of which I do regularly. The delays in this project are customer created. No time to visit the store for the cabinet and after three weeks of deciding, it was still wrong. Toilet flush pattern was splashing, we replacd the toilet, now it a vent problem. I couple of tile were raised on the floor, we corrected and now its imperfect. The undermount sink was delivered two times broken, then delayed because of weather. Im not passing blame, its stating what happened. I blame myself. But I do take offence to degrading me to a handyman or a small job company. The job took an unexpected turn when the entire floor had to be rebuilt satructurally because it could not support tile without cracking it. it took a week but we did it at no charge. Material delivery and manufacture problms are problems in this business but I roll with th punches I am truly sorry that this customer is not happy with her beautiful bath, with the upgraded floor system, and counter that was free. Iv learned a valublel lessons that I will incorporat moving forward. One of which is establish espectations. Please dont let this review tarnish your desire to use an honest great remodling company.

12/03/2018

Delores S.

Everything was simply unforgettable! I responded to an ad for Black Friday Special: name your price for the job with no reasonable offer refused! I emailed the company letting them know I wanted some rotten wood replaced on the window dormer and a ceiling repaired and painted. Mike said he would trust what and wanted and the price of $400.00. The carpenter and the painter arrived early. Mike arrived shortly and went over what needed to be done. I had purchased treated lumber so Mike purchased with receipt the correct wood. The carpenter quickly saw that more rotten wood had to be replaced than anticipated. The carpenter had to do wood cutting to frame and restore the dormer as well as insulate, caulk and prime the untreated wood. Needless to say, the handyman special turned out to be a skillful carpentry job. Mike, nevertheless kept the price at $400.00, which also included the plaster repair for the ceiling as well as painting the entire ceiling. I had been told in the past by two contractors that the ceiling job was complicated. Mike and his painter made the job uncomplicated and the result was simply great!

Description of Work
Rotten wood replaced on window dormer and plaster ceiling repaired and entire ceiling painted

Category handyman service, plastering, woodworking, interior painters

Work Completed On 11/30/2018

Great customer, beautiful house. Very no nonsense. She knows what she wants. It was an enjoyable experience,. She took advantage of our black Friday. She got to mane the price for her job.

09/27/2017

Sharon G.

It went well. I have no complaints about the worker but the responsiveness of the company I did have a problem with. I tired to contact them that morning to verify the time of arrival and they were very hard to reach on the phone. I called several numbers and left a message and also emailed them with no response. They sent me an email several days before with the time of arrival but somehow there was a mix up with the time they told the worker. I would have given them an A overall but because of that I rated them a B. Again I was very pleased with the worker. He was very professional and did and excellent job.

Description of Work
Paid for handyman services and had a closet system installed, grill put together and TV stand put together. I was happy with the services overall and the worker was very professional and did excellent work.

Work Completed On 09/01/2017

Great customer giving us repeat business. Yes, we have to work on the responsiveness.

09/04/2017

Casandra B.

Everything went very well. The worker showed up on time and prepared to work. He was respectful and went through the list with no effort. After each project was completed he asked if I was satisfied before moving to the next. Getting this work done save me lots of time and money. I have called City Renovations on several occassions and they have never disapprpointed.

Description of Work
Various handy-man projects that consist of: - Repairing my stormdoor - fixing ceiling fan - hanging some over sized pictures - putting together a desk - replacing light fixture

Work Completed On 09/19/2017

08/21/2017

David M.

Yes, it was hard to get a hold of them.

Description of Work
They mapped out an basement design.

Category architect

Work Completed On 12/15/2016

Doing the design was great, building the basement would have been greater. Great experience!

08/16/2017

Candace W.

Great they showed up on time got the job done quickly and correctly

Description of Work
Repair sidings, patch walls at 2 units

Work Completed On 08/16/2017

Excellent experience. Would work for her again. She also rents great properties in Baltimore.

05/19/2017

Armenda D.

After purchasing an Angie's List Big Deal for 3 hours of handyman labor, I called the service provider to describe the work needed. He immediately told me my Big Deal did not cover the work, but he did not want me to request a refund. He added that one woman wanted her entire house painted for the cost of the Big Deal. I told him he might have misunderstood the nature of the work I needed done. It seemed to me that a handyman could installed 10 balusters to 5 carpeted steps and a hand rail in 3 hours. I followed the call up with a photo of the open portion of the indoor stairwell and the items I had purchased to close the space. I followed up with a phone call, but the service provided stated he had not viewed my email yet. The service provider never called back. I requested a refund of the amount I paid for the Big Deal. I had no problem paying extra if the situation warranted, but clearly, the service provider did not want my business because of a bad experience with some other homeowner.

Description of Work
Close an open section of stairway leading to basement.

Category handyman service

I think there is a little confusion. I explained the limitations of the coupon and that its not used to do whole jobs. I explained that the coupon is for misc. chores. Yes I did offer to use the coupon towards another job to prevent a return. The job needed trim wood replaced on the exterior of the house. Lots of trim. then she wanted it painted. wanted it all done for 229.00 and she didn't offer to pay more. If she did, we would have done the work. I don't see how the experience went in the direction it went. The offer to pay more over the coupon was not explored in this conversation. This alone begs the question, why would I not want to make more money. As she stated I offered to do other work. Each job is new to me, I don't enter into a job with bad experiences. Each customer experience is new and hopefully rewarding. We cannot paint a whole house for 229.00

04/28/2017

Winifred Q.

Fabulously. We needed to wait for the cabinets to arrive. The week before they did, Mike's team did the non-kitchen work. The following week, they did the kitchen work. I found a couple of small tasks after that and Mike sent his employee over two days before the house went on the market for taking care of those. The house was ready for the market on time.

Description of Work
I originally found Mike & City Renovations through an Angieslist Kitchen Tile Big Deal. I was getting ready to put my house on the market and knew I would replace the upper level kitchen cabinets. In my initial mtg with Mike, he gave me the measurements for the cabinets I needed to order and recommended a very good cabinet company (I first tried Home Depot but their sized cabinets didn't match). Mike, my realtor and I also assessed other tasks that would be needed to get my house in order to put it on the market. We found numerous internal wear and tear jobs and painting the front staircase and back patio & staircase - along with a couple of other tasks. All in all, Mike and his team replaced my upper level kitchen cabinets, installed kitchen backsplash, fixed drywall where I had a gas fireplace removed, fixed a few cracks in the drywall, updated some painting, removed a non-working outdoor light, fixed cracks in the front stair case and back patio and painted the front stair case and back patio.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, handyman service, lighting, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 04/28/2017

Review for City Renovations & Remodeling LLC - 938 E Swann Creek Rd, Fort Washington, MD - 34922677

Ms. [Member Name Removed] is a model customer that I would not hesitate working for again. I am please that we played an important role in getting her house on the market and getting top dollar for your home.

02/01/2017

Tawanna H.

It went well until the end. He wanted to come back and do some handyman work for me. I thought it was too much money so I told him no. He did an excellent job in fixing the hole in the wall and putting the screen door back up.

Description of Work
They fixed a hole in the drywall and put a screen door back on that was broken off the hinges.

Category handyman service, remodeling

Work Completed On 01/21/2017

01/26/2017

Alphonce B.

Extremely well! Mike provided, in considerable detail, the process of renovating my basement. I was marginally aware of what the renovation would require. Mike added significant clarity .

Description of Work
Prepared a blueprint that will serve as the design for my basement buildout.

Work Completed On 01/25/2017

01/03/2017

Ellen W.

I paid $99 for a consultation through Angie's list two months ago and have not received the service or been contacted.

Description of Work
Basement remodel consultation

Work Completed On 01/03/2017

I understand your review and accept it in part. The Angie's list web-sight has changed. My notifications were going to the wrong email address. I never got the notification. We would be happy to assist if we are still needed.

12/28/2016

George D.

The provider constantly contacts me even though I said I was not interested after discovering the details for the so called deal.

Description of Work
Unfortunately this is a design build firm that will not perform design work independently from the construction. This was not indicated in the big deal. These tactics are very deceptive and are a new low for Angie's list. It is an enticement for you to get the provider out to your home to do more than the discounted work.

Work Completed On 01/01/2016

Incredible. The customer was called twice once was to leave a message. Once we spoke he was removed from the follow-up log. Now he is removed from our filed totally.

12/20/2016

Brian S.

I was very pleased with the result. Michael offered some very helpful suggestions that will make the basement even more functional. Will definitely continue to use their services.

Description of Work
A preliminary basement design plan

Category remodeling, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 12/20/2016

Great customer, honest review. Most customers don't review if they don't use our services. I really appreciate this customer taking the time to express his experience. I only wish there were more the reviewed even if they didn't use our services, instead of only those few that hurry to review negatively for a missed call or unhappy pricing.

12/19/2016

terry B.

The consultation received was excellent! Michael Wiggs of City Renovations & Remodeling did an excellent job of educating me on basement design, specifically how to maximize space! City Renovations also provided appropriate conceptional design layout based upon my input within 24 hours. Michael Wiggs definitely knows his craft!

Description of Work
This service was for basement renovation consultation.

Category handyman service, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 06/09/2016

Great experience on my part also

11/19/2016

Maceo F.

Decided not to proceed at this time due to possible demolition-related contingencies that may have added significantly to baseline cost.

Description of Work
I was planning to have a new ceramic tile floor installed in an old bathroom

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, home remodeling

Work Completed On 11/16/2016

Honest opinion and a great person.

11/17/2016

Sharon G.

I was very pleased with the work and the professionalism of the company. I would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
I had two closet shelves that needed to be replaced because they had fallen down. I also had them add additional shelving to my closet and reinforce existing shelving in my closet. They also tightened the handle on my refrigerator.

Work Completed On 11/15/2016