Shaw Computer Services

Founded 2011 • With Angi since September 2013

8713 Sicklebar Way

Ellicott City, MD 21043

Shaw Computer Services is a data recovery company offering all of the services of the national chains at a fraction of the price. We can retrieve your vital files, photos, and anything else of value to you on your hard drive. We are a CDRE (Certified Data Recovery Expert) company....

01/20/2021

Richard G.

Mr. Shaw did an excellent job. He communicated with me several times as his data recovery efforts progressed, and he recovered all the data I needed within a few days. I was very pleased with his service.

Description of Work
I needed my data recovered from a dead computer hard-drive

08/19/2020

David L.

Shaw Computer Services had worked out the problem and got back to me within eight hours of dropping off the USB, and I picked up the salvaged flash drive the next morning. Turnaround time and responsiveness were outstanding, and Mr. Shaw explained the problem and the process very clearly. I highly recommend this service.

Description of Work
Recover data from a corrupted USB flash drive.

06/17/2018

Newton L.

Shaw Computer Services is AWESOME! My home computer failed. It was a disk crash. SCS does Data Recovery, at a price lower than anyone I found. (Getting geeky now!) most people understand how audio into a microphone is converted into digital, and is posted on YouTube. Then your computer reads that and converts that back into audio, so you can hear it. That is Analog to Digital (A2D). Well, in a disk drive, data written to a disk is actually there in an efficient binary storage method that hasn't changed in many decades. The computer wants files organized into folders of folders. The binary on disk is like audio, and the computer file system is digital, so like the A2D and D2A discussed above, there is a process that converts disk binary into computer file system and back. It is called "the translator." Every disk drive has a translator, except the one on my hard drive was zapped to death by a power surge. No problem, I am good about keeping backups of everybody in my house. Except when I checked, my backup was gone! Ouch! SCS has a special workbench that allows them to mount dead hard drives and then insert an electronic driver presence into the dead disk drive, like a hand into a hand puppet. Once my dead drive was alive, SCS diagnosed the problem, and contacted the drive manufacturer to get the exact "translator" module that was zapped. Using the translator loaded into the test bench that was running the disk, A COMPLETE RECOVERY WAS MADE! I got my email archive going back to 1996. I got everything that I lost. I was saved! I paid a 3 digit mid-figure price and was thoroughly please to pay SCS not for the time, but for their extensive experience that made it quick to recover all my data. And I got a nifty little Seagate 2TB device that is smaller than a deck of cards. SCS is the best!

Description of Work
Computer Disk Drive recovery!

12/13/2017

Jared I.

Mr. Shaw was unable to recover the data on the hard disk for a price that was less than it would have cost me to send it back to the manufacturer. He takes seriously his policy of not charging anything if he is unable to recover the data, so he did not charge me anything, even though he did spend time and effort to remove the hard drive from the computer, examine it and try to find a donor drive. When he returned the hard drive and computer to me, he gave me clear instructions on contacting the manufacturer, including where to find the website and approximate cost. I am expecting the recovered data to be delivered to me from the manufacturer tomorrow. Additionally, Mr. Shaw let me know that he expects the computer (that I had given up on) would work just fine with a replacement hard drive. So I ordered a hard drive and will try to replace it myself this weekend. He also gave me advice about protecting my computers in the future from power outages and surges that likely caused the damage to the original drive. I hope I will not need Mr. Shaw's services in the future, but if I do, I won't hesitate to contact him.

Description of Work
Data recovery from damaged hard disk drive

08/28/2017

Mark S.

Mr. Shaw gave me recommendations over the phone even though he did not do my repairs. Very nice person and very responsive.

Description of Work
Computer repair

06/01/2017

Edward S.

An excellent experience. Phillip was professional and punctual recovering a thumb drive full of my wife's lesson plans .

Description of Work
hard drive recovery

11/24/2016

Edward C.

Mr. Shaw was able to recover almost every file on my damaged hard drive and he did it extremely quickly, in less than one day. His rates were very reasonable too.

Description of Work
I was unable to access data on a damaged hard drive. Contacted Shaw Computer Services to recover whatever files they could.

11/15/2016

Jackie G.

When your computer dies and you lose your data (perhaps by accidentally dropping a stack of books on it, like I did), it is very expensive to get it back, and it can feel overwhelming. I spent a whole week researching data recovery places, weighing the pros and cons, and finally decided to go with Shaw Computer Services. And I’m so glad I did! Unlike the large companies, I was able to talk directly with the person who was doing the actual recovery, rather than a customer service person who knows nothing about the process or computers. I could ask him questions about my specific case, such as what likely went wrong, the extent of damage, what probably needed to be replaced or fixed, how much each scenario would cost, etc. The other places I researched were either not “real” data recovery places (the cheap ones) with low success rates, OR were large companies that quoted me prices with a huge range, like $250-2500. They were unable to give me information about my specific case over the phone, so I had to wait until I mailed it in to get a quote. Then I would have to mail in my hard drive (usually to another state), they would keep it for a week or a few weeks, and then ship it back. I would just have to trust that they were giving me a fair price, having never spoken to the actual specialist. The whole process made me feel uneasy. Shaw, on the other hand, felt like more personal service, and the quoted price ($375) ended up being exactly how much it cost. He was able to recover almost 100% of the files I needed from my hard drive, and did it within a few days, rather than weeks. I think when you’re missing really important files, the most important thing (besides successful recovery and price) is PEACE OF MIND – being able to get in touch with the specialist, ask questions, know exactly where your hard drive/data is at all times (not in another state, like with the big companies), and understand what needs to be done and why. And SCS was able to provide that. Hopefully I will never need these services again, but if I do, I would definitely come back here.

Description of Work
Data recovery from my laptop hard drive.

11/04/2016

LStephen A.

Shaw Computer Services analyzed the problem and SUCCESSFULLY recovered ALL of my data, INTACT, and placed it into a brand new advance technology external hard drive that they provided --- all within 48-hours and at a fraction of the cost! The owner of Shaw Computer Services is professional, competent, and regularly updated me on the troubleshooting and restoration. My customer service experience was EXCELLENT. I am VERY HAPPY!

Description of Work
I needed recovery of nearly one terabyte (1TB) of very important data files off my failed USB external hard drive. The drive was out-of-warranty and the drive manufacturer's proposal to analyze the hardware and "attempt" data recovery was expensive and uncertain.

09/18/2016

Gali W.

I thought I had lost everything on that drive, which was every work file and years of pictures of my 2 kids. Within 2 days, I was told that they could recover about 75% of my data, and I couldn't believe it. I would recommend Shaw's Computer Services in a heartbeat - he was so proficient and professional. THANK YOU!

Description of Work
Data Recovery for a 1 TB external hard drive

07/26/2016

Ron O.

My hard disk had failed. I contacted Shaw Computer Services Sunday morning and 24 hrs later I had all my files. Mr. Shaw was very professional. He kept me informed. The cost was consistent with the estimate.

Description of Work
Recovered data from a failed hard disk.

06/18/2016

Bing D.

Phil Shaw work diligently on my PC when the HDD suddenly crashed. He was able to isolate the problem to the hybrid design 750GB HDD + 64GB SS which caused the crash. The 64GB SSD portion which had the OS somehow got corrupted and would not boot my PC. Fortunately, the 750GB HDD was still mechanically intact and Phil was able to recovery a large portion of my data in the 750GB HDD. Most importantly, I was able to recovery numerous photos and videos which were irreplaceable. Phil's work saved the day for me !! Phil removed the defective 64BG SSD from my PC and provided advice to how to change out the 750 GB HDD to a new 1TB SSD thereby saving the expense of buying a new PC. Also, this will greatly reduced the risk of another hard drive crash in the future.

Description of Work
Phil Shaw retrieved data on my PC when the hard drive (HDD) suddenly crashed.

02/21/2016

Faith J.

After a disastrous attempt to have this work done elsewhere, we had the good fortune to find Philip Shaw on Angie's List., dropped off the computer and failing drive feeling confident that we had found someone who truly knew what he was doing, and picked it up the next day with everything done properly. We recommend this provider without hesitation.

Description of Work
Phil cloned a failing hard drive on to a new drive, recovering/saving all programs, files, data.

01/17/2016

Christopher W.

I had an external hard disk drive that I used to back up my computer files, digital photographs, etc. When the drive failed to spin up, making my data inaccessible, I knew I needed to get my drive to a professional data recovery service. Fortunately I found Shaw Computer Services on Angie's List. SCS had great reviews and they happened to be located nearby. I called Phil, described the situation, and made arrangements to drop my drive off with him the next day. Phil was able to quickly assess the situation with my drive and recover all my data. I could not have asked for a better experience - Phil was courteous, professional, knowledgeable, and his pricing was very reasonable. Should you find yourself in a similar situation and in need of a data recovery service, I highly recommend Shaw Computer Services.

Description of Work
Retrieved all data files from a failed external hard disk drive.

10/13/2015

Janeen G.

Phil was more than AMAZING. While I was at work, he offered to pick up my hard drive from the first business that tried to resolve the issue. He constantly kept me in the loop about what was going on and was very response to my phone calls. Although my hard drive was severely corrupted, he was able to recover tons of pictures that I would have been devastated to lose as well as files that I would have hated to have to re-create. He was fast, informative, professional and reassuring. His prices were also extremely reasonable. I would recommend his services to anyone looking for quality data recovery help from a true professional. I am so appreciative of what he did for me.

Description of Work
When the first company that I took my laptop to confirmed that the hard drive was corrupt and the damage was too extensive for them to fix, they recommended Phil Shaw's data recovery services.

10/02/2015

Diane F.

I'm so happy to have all of my files recovered from my badly corrupted hard drive. Phil's work was excellent and timely plus he touched base with me as the work was being done - a very positive experience.

Description of Work
Recovered a large number of files from my badly damaged hard drive

07/29/2015

Cynthia D.

AMAZING! Mr. Shaw not only recovered data that I had imagined was long lost, but was extraordinarily courteous and professional. I would HIGHLY recommend Mr. Shaw for ALL your data recovery needs!!!

Description of Work
Recovered data on a flash drive that was terribly damaged.

07/20/2015

Ellen L.

Phil communicated with us at each step making sure we wanted to go ahead. Phil answered all our questions patiently and clearly.

Description of Work
Phil, opened our Seagate backup drive which had stopped working altogether, got it working again, transferred the data to a new drive we gave him, reviewed our backup methodology with us, put a new case and sleeve on our old backup drive and returned it working again to us (advising that it could not be trusted). I would give him a A on price in that his price was better than any other we got. However, it was a very expensive lesson for us in making sure that we have 3 backups of everything that is important to us.

05/04/2015

Steven a P.

Professional, competitively priced with expected results.

Description of Work
Shaw Computer Services owner Philip recovered critical family pictures and videos, documents and files from a corrupt Apple hard drive that we thought were lost forever. Philip told what he was going to do to work to recover the data and to protect the data. when he called to say he recovered everything we were over joyed to have all of the years of family pictures and files. thanks Philip! I highly recommend using Philip for all of your data recovery needs. Very professional and well worth the price!

04/21/2015

Christine R.

It went better than we'd dared to hope. We have an Apple iMac computer which a few months back had experienced a "crash". We took the computer to the Apple Store, and while they were able to get it working again, they said the data on the hard drive was lost and could not be recovered. We also took it to a local computer store and they also said the data was gone. This was distressing news as there were a lot of photos and "home movies" on the hard drive. The distress continued until yesterday when we Googled "data recovery" and Mr. Shaw's name came up, and he just happened to be in the next town over from us. We called him and he volunteered to come to our home and pick up the drive in the afternoon. By early evening, he'd called to let us know that all but a tiny amount of the data had been retrieved! Today we have our drive -- and our precious data -- back. We would most heartily recommend his services!

Description of Work
Retrieved data from a "bad" hard drive and was able to recover 99% of the data we'd thought was lost forever.

03/02/2015

Yayu T.

Excellent customer service and communication about the problems and recovery updates. Prompt service for data recovery. Most of the critical files were successfully recovered. I also have lots of photos and am pleased to see many of these were recovered successfully. I am pleased and I highly recommend Shaw Computer Service.

Description of Work
Recovered data from portable hard drives that failed to be accessed

02/27/2015

CLIFTON B.

Excellent service, quickly diagnosed the problems and informed me of needs to address data recovery, seeking my approval before proceeding. There were different problems for each of the drives that required different approaches. Fortunately data was able to be recovered (including entire photo library, and critical financial information), except a single corrupted folder containing old owner's manuals. The repair was done efficiently and quickly. Phil was professional and personable and felt that I was in good hands. Highly recommended!

Description of Work
Recovery of data from 2 external hard drives

01/06/2015

Becky B.

I found Phil on Angie's List and called him after a computer repair shop told me there was no way to get the data off the flash/thumb drive. After I gave him the flash drive, he called a day or two later and told me that after working on it, he wasn't able to get the files yet, but there were still other options we could try, however, they would be really expensive. I asked if he could get an estimate for me first before I decided what I wanted to do. Phil called again the next evening and said he tried working on it again just to make sure he did all he could -- and he was able to get the flash drive working again and copied all the files for me to a new flash drive. He's a really nice guy... he was really excited that he was able to get the thing to work again and get all my data back. And I have now learned why it's important to keep backup files of everything, include those on USB flash drives. As for cost -- I have no real basis to compare or know what is a reasonable cost. I was willing to pay a lot due to the importance of the files, and I know he worked on it several times -- so while it was expensive, I was comfortable with the cost.

Description of Work
Recovered all the data (files, pictures, etc.) from a USB flash/thumb drive that stopped working.

12/30/2014

Nancy S.

Very well. I would recommend this company to anyone requiring data recovery.

Description of Work
My hard drive was damaged and needed special equipment to recover data. A reliable Tech Expert recommended Shaw Computer Services. I contacted Phil Shaw, owner. He successfully recovered most data from the damaged disk & transferred the data onto my external hard drive.

10/02/2014

George N.

Hard drive crash? Just take your drive to Phil Shaw! Don't bother looking elsewhere! It still happens to some of us - the hard drive crashes and we don't have some important files backed up. The uncertainty over what is permanently lost gnaws at us. If it's work stuff, especially for a client, the situation can be dire (as was mine). Phil had all my important files recovered LESS THAN 6 HOURS after I delivered my laptop to him - ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON!!! You can't get this kind of quick attention anywhere else I know of, at least in the Baltimore/Washington region. Phil seems to be the only person in the area to have this kind of combination and responsiveness and ability. Phil knows data recovery - he says it's his specialty. He even does data recovery for some of the local computer repair shops because that's not their bag, and he's good at it. So CUT OUT THE MIDDLEMAN and GET LIGHTNING FAST SERVICE! CUSTOMER SERVICE: Part of Phil's effort involved calling me several times to let me know about progress and to discuss the most important files to get. We had 2 or 3 talks within a few hours after I dropped my machine off. Compare that kind of service to what I experienced for 3 days before I looked for Phil. Machine to local shop, had to call for status 2 days later (Thursday), they said the drive was only 2% imaged and that recovery can take up to 3 weeks in some cases - call back Monday. I called Friday instead - status was now 3% - I knew I had to get my macine back and find someone else. Angie's List and Phil Shaw to the rescue. PRICE: The standard (from what I understand) $375 fee is ABOUT HALF THE AMOUNT the national data recovery experts charge, and if you're local, Phil is MUCH FASTER. I couldn't have been happier - or any more relieved - to find Phil and get my files fast!

Description of Work
QUICKLY recovered undamaged files from crashed hard drive (data recovery)

Wellsourced IT, LLC

Wellsourced IT, LLC - Computer Repair - Computer Security - Home Network Repair, Troubleshooting Small - Medium Business Solutions. - Phone Systems - Enterprise Wi-Fi - Cyber Security - Computer Management We guarantee your satisfaction and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Check out our services offered and call or click to schedule a free estimate today.

KUINUA TECH LLC

Kuinua Tech LLC founded in 2020, provides Information Technology services for federal, state, government contracting companies, and local agencies. KT core competencies are in project management & process development, software application development, sharepoint development, web development, cloud administration, and cybersecurity compliance. KT is a certified Maryland business entity and federal SBA Woman-Owned and Veteran Owned Small Business. Past clients include Blue Sky Innovative Solutions, Team Gray Acquisition Management, and Cache Consulting. Kuinua Tech LLC will provide visual elements for use online, site branding, layouts, and all other matters of web development. This development strategy is for an online education and training platform to host the created content. Kuinua Tech is a veteran-owned Information Technology Consulting Company that specializes in development, cloud, and support technology innovative solutions utilizing application and web design and developments such as, Microsoft 365, SharePoint, AWS, React, Javascript, HTML5, Adobe Creative Suites, and Final Cut Pro. KT’s focus is to deliver creative technology solutions to support the immediate need of their clients and provide a backbone foundation to keep them ahead of the curve with technology.

My Computer Works

Offers by My Computer Works on Angi

American Express, Check, Discover, MasterCard, Visa

We perform data recovery on hard drives, thumb drives, SD cards, etc. We have a PC3000 (the most advanced data recovery tool in the business), a clean room bench, and advanced technical support if needed.

We do not work on cell phones (except SD cards) and we do not do any form of computer repair.