Trunnell Electric Inc

Founded 1936 • With Angi since February 2006

15754 Crabbs Branch Way

Derwood, MD 20855

At Trunnell Electric our goal is to be your one source for all of your home electrical needs. We perform all types of electrical services including: repairs, new lighting, remodeling, service upgrades (sometimes called a heavy-up), Electric Vehicle charging stations and much more. We are family owned and have been providing quality service since 1936. We are very proud of our name and the service we provide to our customers. We provide free estimates on new installations and renovations with no obligation to purchase. Additional DBA - W K Trunnell Inc....

08/27/2020

Carol J.

They did a good job. They were competent, courteous, and on time. I recommended them.

Description of Work
They updated the electricity on my house. They replaced the electrical panel. They cleaned up some wiring.

11/30/2019

Susan E.

employee came and gave me an estimate, they were able to move up my scheduled date when there was a cancellation and work went well and at the price agreed upon.

Description of Work
Added a new independent outlet for a microwave.

01/08/2019

Jennifer M.

All went well; it is wonderful to have power in all my outlets again.

Description of Work
Fixed GFI and outlets in kitchen; installed smoke detectors

12/29/2017

Elaine E.

Excellent work and polite, professional staff. I highly recommend.

Description of Work
Trunnell Electric came to correct some damage related problems from an earlier job done by Electrician for A Day. It cost me extra, but worth it to have outside wiring re-checked, and to seal open holes left in masonry walls by Electrician for A Day after replacing two motion detectors, and two exterior electrical outlets. Trunnell staff was even kind enough to ask for paint to touch-up damaged walls too high for me to reach.

12/16/2017

Jacqueline P.

They were a little busy so needed to wait almost a week before they could come. Electrician found the problem, tucked into a corner that he had to bend backwards over the counter to work with it. He did not have a part, so had to schedule a return for a couple days later. Also replaced a motion detector light on back of house (I already had the part). The electrician was very pleasant and professional. Prices were slightly less that other electricians we have used.

Description of Work
Needed repair on a strip of under-cabinet lights

03/22/2017

Dan C.

They were reasonably priced. They came out and gave a bid which was very reasonable. Their staff were fast and professional. There was little pressure and very easy to schedule.

Description of Work
They had to gut the electricity in the basement. Then a couple months later, they come back to finish the electrical.

12/06/2016

Steven M.

The experience was very good. Dale, who we worked with before, gave us ideas for the downstairs bedroom closet. The work looks great and we can now get plenty of light in the long closets we have.

Description of Work
There was a light fixture in the hallway at the top of the hallway stairs that did not work. They suggested that we buy a whole new light fixture and their company would put it together and mount it onto the ceiling.

10/17/2016

Lise V.

perfect - we have used Trunnel Electric for a very long time, off and on. We shall use them more frequently, from now on.

Description of Work
replaced bathroom fixture, and a basement / storage light fixture.

07/30/2016

Scott S.

The electrician did an excellent job with the installation of the ceiling fan. The estimate and final cost were very similar. The electrician's assistant accidentally damaged our dining room chair and shortly after entering our residence used our restroom, which initially made me want to provide lower ratings. However, Rick Trunnell made up for it with his promptness and courteousness in responding to our email and the dining room chair was replaced.

Description of Work
We needed a small ceiling fan installed.

Category electrician, lighting, ceiling fans

06/16/2016

Naomi M.

Electrician had to do a lot of investigating to determine source of problem, which was behind a wall, so it wasn't easy to locate. He was here for over 2 hours but he found the problem and fixed it. He was great--problem involved working in a small space and moving a double oven.

Description of Work
Found problem that had caused circuit breaker to turn off. Replaced box and wires.

03/17/2016

MERCEDES C.

They have always been very responsive, professional, efficient, and pleasant to deal with. For what they have done, their prices seem reasonable. Even though the work we've had done has been small in scope, they treated it like it mattered (which it did, to us!).

Description of Work
We've used Trunnell on several occasions. In 2014 they fixed a bunch of non-working outlets and installed some new lighting fixtures. Most recently they disconnected the electric to an outbuilding.

11/24/2015

Jeffrey B.

2 electricians arrived on time and completed all the work within 4 hours. Early a representative came to the house to discuss my needs and requirements which then developed in to an estimate. Once I agreed, the electricians followed the proposal. There were no issues. The office called back the next day to make sure I was satisfied with the electricians and the work that was done.

Description of Work
Trunnell electricians re-wired my garage, installed a lights in the garage attic, corrected some poorly installed outlets, place a timer & dimmer switch on the outside lights, removed outdated ceiling lights and "hooked up" the lights within newly installed sky tubes.

Category electrician, lighting, outdoor lighting

06/18/2015

Jeanne O.

The 2 electrians came out and were very professional and got right to work on the task at hand. They did discover a lot more K&T and will have to come back to uncover more as they were booked for the rest of the day on other jobs. They were very respectful of the home and their dirty shows from going up/down in attic/basement to complete tasks.

Description of Work
upgrade knob & tube in 2 rooms and changed out one to a dedicated line.

10/01/2014

Minh L.

The work required digging a trench in the yard from the garage to the house and running a cable along the house into the basement. They did a neat and professional job. They replaced the grass/sod so it looked like there was no trench at all. I was pleased with that. I was also pleased that the cable to the house was not done in a sloppy manner, but neatly ran along the side of a built-in planter and into the brick. They cleaned up after themselves and now everything seems to work fine. They even trouble shoot a problem with the smoke alarm that somehow is connected to the garage.

Description of Work
Ran two electric lines (circuits) from my detached garage to my fuse box in the basement. This required digging a trench in the yard

02/24/2014

Marjorie L.

We had a guy from Trunnell come out last week to give a free estimate, which was great. We had questions for him about the light over the sink as well as a few other electrical-related things in the house that we were considering doing. Ultimately, we decided to just go ahead with the light in the kitchen, but it was nice to get some new information about the other stuff. We made an appointment for someone to come out and do the light in the kitchen on Monday at 9am. Typically, it's awesome when someone shows up right on time, or even a smidge early... however, they showed up 1hr 15 minutes early (7:45am)!! I was still in bed, but it certainly jerked me awake. Not a huge problem of course, but a bit jarring and would have been nice if they told us they'd be that early. The guy who came to do the work was not the same guy who gave the estimate. He was perfectly nice but REEKED of cigarette smoke. Gross. He also really had no idea what he was here to do, so I had to explain to him that we wanted this over-the-sink light installed. Then I had to instruct him on how we wanted it installed it based on what I had talked about with the guy who gave the estimate. You think he should know this ahead of time, right? So, that was weird. All-in-all, they did a fine job and were nice, and got it done quickly. There was just some weirdness about it here and there.... but I'd probably hire them again if we needed more electrical work done.

Description of Work
Installed a light over our kitchen sink.

02/12/2014

Michael S.

Trunnell did a neat professional job and I would certainly use them again!

Description of Work
They cleaned up and completed a number of jobs that a previous contractor did not complete and had left us hanging.

01/24/2014

Jim S.

I had an emergency situation where the fuse box for my heat pump went bad during the ongoing cold snap. I called them up and asked how soon they could send someone out. They had a crew in the area and they arrived in 20 minutes. They were able to take care of it quickly and professionally at a reasonable price.

Description of Work
Replaced fuse box

11/11/2013

Russell H.

We made an appointment, since our outdoor light stopped working. We had used Trunnell one other time. They arrived on time and started working on the light. 30 mins later, they talked to my husband and said they replaced the light fixture outside and now it was working. They left the property and didn't even leave a bill. They didn't ask if we wanted to them to replace the light, or tell us how much the fixture was they installed or if we preferred a different light. That evening I talked to my husband and asked about the price of the new fixture. He said they went ahead and installed it without even discussing it with him and he had no idea what it would cost. We were left wondering how much. Not liking surprises, we looked up the model number and found it could be purchased from a variety of retailers for about $52. Finally a bill arrives from Trunnell listing the price of the light fixture as $106. We were shocked. I did expect some mark up for the product they carry, but I did not expect it to be twice the price. We called and talked to Rick Trunnell, hoping he would be willing to adjust the price especially since none of the details were discussed with us before the work was done. He was very defensive and did not address our concerns. He would only offer a $10 discount. His only explanation of the big mark up was he needed to make money. I will not ever call them again. I felt I could not trust them because they just wanted to take my money.

Description of Work
Replaced outdoor motion sensor light fixture.

Category electrician, lighting

This customer is correct regarding our not communicating in real time the issue of replacing their motion sensor light fixture and the associated cost. Many of our old or returning customers (as these folks were),still prefer and appreciate a non COD arrangement and receive an invoice in the mail. In this case a COD would've addressed most of their concerns up front. We do maintain their overall cost was competitive and fair for the service we provided.

10/24/2013

Mark W.

The electrician was prompt and courteous. Before begining each task he asked questions to make certain he understood the problem. He also explained what he did to complete each task.

Description of Work
Installed two wall fixture, stabilized ceiling fan to prevent shaking, installed closed light and repaired several outlets.

10/23/2013

Alan G.

The electrician (Norman) arrived on time, was very professional and also very pleasant. He efficiently took out the old fixture and installed the new one, adding an electrical box This was not a standard installation because of the way the old fixture was mounted in the wooden decorative awning over the kitchen sink, and it was quite tricky to both support the fixture and connect it up. He also gave useful advice on limiting the heat output from the new fixture as it had more bulbs than the old one. He took great care to leave the job site clean. I could not imagine better service.! Thank you Norman.

Description of Work
Installed a new light fixture in the kitchen, including putting in a new box

10/14/2013

Kerry C.

I thought the estimate was very high. It was double what another company charged. I was not impressed with the estimator. He said the job would require him to put a lot of holes in the walls that I would have to hire someone else to repair. He also said I could not use any of the fixtures I previously bought. He also told me I would have to re do all of the smoke detectors and install a new one in the porch area which I thought was odd. I have use them before and liked their services but I did not like this estimator. I hired someone else to do the work.

Description of Work
They gave an estimate for installing a ceiling fan and wiring a porch that was just built.

Category electrician, lighting, ceiling fans

10/08/2013

Shirley M.

Very well. They were very prompt and responsive to our needs.

Description of Work
Brought a kitchenette added by owner up to code so a permit could be provided by the county after the fact. They were very helpful and called inspector to get him out the next day. However, the inspector didn't pass it the first time but they immediately corrected the one problem and the next day the inspector passed it and we got our permit.

09/16/2013

Donald K.

were on time and fixed problem

Description of Work
repaired bad connection in basement ceiling light

06/13/2013

Susan B.

I really appreciated they recommended to just replace the fan motor rather than the entire fan. I feel they are honest and professional. I recommend them to others.

Description of Work
They replaced the motor in our bathroom fan.

05/28/2013

Heidi M.

random parts of our electric stopped working and flipping the main switches didn't fix it so we called Trunnell. She sent someone out the next available day and he came within the window specified. He was very nice, efficient and fixed the problem pretty quickly I thought. Also asked him to check out hallway lights that never turned on correctly and the fixed that. Only strange thing is that you don't get an invoice when they are done, it is mailed to you...

Description of Work
fixed wiring that shorted, rewired two outlets, added new outdoor electric box outside garage

FirmStone

Both our residential and commercial clients have been impressed by our exceptional work and service. FirmStone pays close attention to detail in order to provide a stress-free process for our customers. From the initial consultation, to the final walk through, we are here to build your vision into reality. We strive to make your landscaping or hardscaping experience seamless by listening carefully, discussing options, and making suggestions to customize your project ideas. We are perfectionists that take pride in our work.

Springwood Gardens Landscape

DBA - Springwood Gardens LLC. Our design build team offers over 40 years of experience and quality service. We are fully insured, and references available upon request. All work is guaranteed. Ask about our follow-up program that gives you two free check-ups for one year after we complete any project!

Beacon Home Services

If you are in need of fast and effective electrical or plumbing services in Northern Virginia, contact Beacon Home Services right away. They offer same-day services, free pre-job cost estimates, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee to all their customers. Their technicians are fully licensed, highly trained, and ready to help you with all your electrical and plumbing needs. They pride themselves on their customer service and offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Call today!

Offers by Beacon Home Services on Angi
    Check, Visa, MasterCard

Residential electrical services including the installation and repair of electrical wiring, electrical panel upgrades, bathroom fans, ceiling fans, light fixtures, switches, attic fans and outlets,

Security alarms, home generators