DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.)

Founded 1971 • With Angi since November 2006

11515A MOUNTAIN VIEW RD

Damascus, MD 20872

DHC is a Montgomery County based general contractor celebrating our 44nd anniversary this year. We specialize in leak diagnosis and structural repairs as well as performing routine home repairs and maintenance. We also offer Design/Build services. DHC is a preferred installer for SIMONTON

08/24/2018

Chris M.

DHC is on the pricey side charging $200 an hour for two people. I doubt each employee was even getting half that plus $75 for a service plus $200 for materials. Besides the pricing the employees were professional and courteous. They let me know what the issue was and where the leak was coming from which was a tear between the room and chimmeney. In the end, the work seemed of high caliber and everything was found fixed from the year, to the moldy wood, to the leak stain on the ceiling, and they cleaned up very well. We’ll see how well there work is when the next storm hits.

Description of Work
Roof leak water coming through ceiling

Thank you for the positive review. We appreciate it when our customers take time to share their experience. We would like to clear up a few things that were mentioned in Mr. [Member Name Removed]'[Member Information Removed] review: 1) DHC is a general contractor with our own staff. We are fully licensed and insured. We have a one year workmanship warranty and have been in business for over 45 years. You get what you pay for! 2) We are prepared TIME WISE to repair a problem when we have an appointment. For a leak diagnosis (which this visit was) we cannot possibly know what'[Member Information Removed] wrong until we have investigated and in some cases hose tested. We cannot bring the required materials for a repair when we don't yet know what that repair is for! 3) This job was billed at time and materials. Our paperwork (offered to customers prior to confirming an appointment) clearly states that time to get materials is billable. We go to a supplier nearby for materials once we know what is required. If we discover a need for additional materials as we get deeper into a repair, then an additional trip to a supplier can be necessary. 4) This review shows a VA address. We do not service VA.

08/06/2016

CM C.

DHC arrived on time and after a cursory review, climbed into my attic and onto my roof. They located 2 leaks which they reported to me with pictures. They also reported that the other 'leaks' could be animal-related as the spots were oily. Gave them the go-ahead to repair the leaks and they left after 4 hours work - with everything cleaned up behind them.

Description of Work
Roof leak check and repair

02/21/2016

Gordon F.

DHC was responsive to my initial inquiry when other companies were not interested in a small job. The workers showed up as scheduled, were courteous, and did good quality work. The price was a bit higher than I hoped to pay. But again, other companies were not interested in this small job. I would use DHC again.

Description of Work
Repaired vinyl siding on a shed.

Category handyman service, roofing, siding

01/20/2016

Jason D.

Very well. The 2 repairmen were on time & very good. Company communicated well.

Description of Work
Re-caulked & re-grouted shower, re-caulked bath tub, fixed drywall, replaced faucet, re-caulked roof, repaired roof slates.

Category drywall, plumbing, remodeling, roofing

11/14/2015

Rebecca G.

Arrived early. Worked steadily and finished all within 4 1/2 hours.

Description of Work
Adjusted sagging gate. Coated metal roof. Caulked bathroom & powder room. Fixed loose board.

Category handyman service

07/22/2015

Camille B.

Mr Himmelfarb or one of his employees is always timely, accommodating and friendly. He has performed services for my mother, Nina Claicle for several years.

Description of Work
caulking and painting of outside window frames.

Category house painters

01/31/2015

Fred P.

A crew of two technicians performed the repairs and gutter installation over a three (3) day period. Each day the crew arrived at 8am (+- 15 minutes) and told me what was going to be done that day. At the end of each work day: all scrap was collected into plastic bags, all tools were returned to company van and I received an invoice along with an itemized list of that day?s repairs. The foreman inspected the roof and used his smart phone to photograph several loose shingles so that I could see what needed to be repaired.

Description of Work
Repaired and painted exterior trim rot on front, side and back of house. Replaced 5 inch gutters with 6 inch gutters and downspouts. Fixed several loose shingles.

Category gutter repair, roofing, woodworking, house painters

08/26/2014

Jeff M.

Great service- Called around 2 PM, they arrived by 5, done by 6:30. +

Description of Work
Board up window after B&E

Category replacement windows

04/09/2014

Roger F.

They did a super job. They know their business. They took care of a problem I had fro years. Other contractors did not fix previously.

Description of Work
Removed gutter at back of Townhouse cut out roof to extend roof. Stop leak coming into house. Did minor repair to wood exterior. Close all squirrel holes in house.

Category gutter repair

01/22/2014

ALTHEA N.

DHC was on time. They picked up the materials and went to work right away. Wilson patient and explained to me what they were doing and why. Later, they cleaned up well.

Description of Work
Custom built bookshelves for office and living room.

Category woodworking

11/30/2013

Edward K.

It wasn't an easy leak to find since it took a lot of water at a particular angle.

Description of Work
found and fixed an issue with siding and flashing, also repaired drywall

09/23/2013

James H.

28 year old Town house roof. I told DHC prior to the visit there was a leak. DHC reported the roof vent needed to be replaced and estimated $1100 (parts and labor, which included me paying them $190/hour to go to a roofing store to buy the material). I talked to the owner and let him know I thought I could get the whole roof replaced for $4K and asked him if it made sense to pay $1,100 for a single repair on an old roof. He was doubtful I could get the roof replaced for $4K, so I told him I would get a second opinion. I just had it replaced for $3.2K by another reputable roofing company in Gaithersburg. I would not recommend these inspection services if you have any known issues with your roof. The inspection price does not go toward the actual issue, so if you have a leak, get someone that can give all the options (repair vs replace). As far as the inspection, I think DHC did a good job in inspecting the roof and applying calk in areas where it was needed, I just do not think they were prepared or interested in offering the most cost effective way to address the leak, and I think a single repair that was 25%-33% of the cost of a new roof was not good advice since the roof was so old and near end of life.

Description of Work
Roof inspection

This customer purchased an Angie's list "Roof Maintenance Big Deal" at the fixed cost of $149.00. Our "Deal" was to inspect the roof and perform a specific and limited list of services (listed in the ad) that did not include leak repairs. This offer covered maintenance only. Our customer knew, before we went to his home, that any additional work would be extra (charged at our standard time and materials rates) to the $149. When asked what the cost for the repair would be we quoted a ballpark cost at our standard time and materials rates. This rate would be for two fully insured techs to be harnessed up and work on the roof. It is also the cost for their time to obtain a shingle sample and go to a supplier for the correct materials to make the repair. Mr. (member name removed) had no materials for the repair so our crew needed to obtain them and we charge for our time - this is part of the job. If the roof was in need of replacement, our crew would have informed the customer of its condition. We offer this service and certainly recommend replacement when warranted. If the customer had requested a whole roof tear-off and replacement we would have sent our estimator to his home and offered a proposal for that job. We did not discuss replacing the roof with the customer. Since we do not know what materials the roofing contractor installed at this home nor do we know if that contractor is licensed, or insured, or if they warranty their work, we cannot comment on the cost of the roofing job. Other customers who purchased our Angie's list "Roof Maintenance Big Deal" had no issues with the "Deal" or the cost for other repair work.

08/19/2013

concepcion H.

The workmen were very professional, punctual and clean up everything They did the repair on the outside and repaired the ceiling which was damaged by the rain. I recommend them highly and had used them before on another problem and will use again if ever we need them.

Description of Work
We had a rain leak on the outside of our home which was a constructional problem.

07/15/2013

George T.

They came on time and were very thorough in their work. I was pleased with their attention to detail.

Description of Work
inspect roof and replace shingles

05/25/2013

GEORGE W.

It all went very well. They arrived promptly every morning and worked hard, and efficiently, all day. I was impressed at the thoroughness of their prep work. They kept me informed as to their progress and were pleasant to deal with. I thought the pricing was reasonable, and they finished within three hours of their one-week estimate, despite finding additional damage as the work progressed. I recommend them and will use them again.

Description of Work
Made exterior repairs to the house and prepped it for painting. This included removing the gutters and replacing rotten fascia boards, replacing damaged siding and trim pieces, scraping and sanding peeling paint, and caulking seams. Then painted the entire exterior of the house.

Category handyman service, woodworking, house painters

04/11/2013

Sue M.

Workers arrived on time, gave me an estimate and I approved. One worker went to get supplies while second worker started on job. They completed work as requested and haven’t had any problems so far.

Description of Work
Repair roof leak in garage.

Category handyman service, roofing

03/25/2013

ALTHEA N.

I was extremely pleased with the results and will use them again in the future! They could have really ramped up the charges since I could not stick my own head into the hole in the ceiling below to see if there was damage, but they did not do this, for which I am very grateful.

Description of Work
I have used them for years and hired them when my plumber told me the leak under the toilet in the upstairs bathroom had created mold and other damage because the floor was not level and the toilet rocked. The plumber offered to replace the whole bathroom, including the tub, which he said might also have a leak, and the drywall, the wall tiles, etc etc for a hefty sum, clearly a conflict of interest. I spoke to Dan on the phone and after a long consultation, he sketched out what they would do, best case and worst case scenarios. Any repairs would be contingent on finding mold and water damage, and the extent of such damage. When they came and checked around, looking extensively through a hole from the ceiling below, they found none. I had already decided to update the floor so they then removed and replaced bathroom floor and subfloor, leveled the toilet and put in new tiles. . I paid for time (hourly) and materials.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, plumbing, remodeling, roofing

02/15/2013

Nancy S.

Outstanding service - smart &nice guys.

Description of Work
Had a leak in bathroom which no other contractor. (Willison kitchen, metal tile & bath & 2 other companies could determine source) This company found leak on 1st try and fixed.

Category drywall, woodworking

02/04/2013

Jim K.

Dan Himmelfarb was very pleasant to work with. We spent roughly $1,300 to remove wet material and treat the wet basement for mold. The job was neat, the crew was courteous and cleaned the site well. It all went well. DHC provided an estimate for an interior french drain system with a sump pump, two replacement windows and some related work preparatory to refinishing part of the basement. Primarily for cost reasons, we broke the job in several parts and proceeded with another contractor for the french drain system and a different one for the replacement windows.

Description of Work
Fix a wet basement

Category remodeling, roofing, water damage restoration

12/27/2012

Irene D.

Arrived on time. Assessed the work needed to be done, completed the work and completely cleaned up afterwards. Great job.

Description of Work
Replaced studs, insulation & drywall in garage. Replaced insulation & drywall in living room.

Category contractors, drywall, handyman service, insulation, remodeling, garage builders

08/25/2012

Dawn M.

providing me w/ rates is not an estimate. i have no idea how much the whole job might cost me. that is not an estimate. so i'm not going w/ these guys.

Description of Work
i called them for an estimate. all i got was prices. their charges for coming to my house at all, their hourly rates, and how much they would charge me to rent pressure washers.

Category handyman service, roofing

This complaint is not an accurate comment on our conversation with this customer. This customer never gave DHC the opportunity to accomplish what we said we would do for her. This customer never called our company after our initial conversation to check with us about looking at her home before filing a complaints with Angie's List. This customer called and spoke with us about our services. We explained that the work would be done at our standard Time and Materials rates. We also explained that we were very booked up and that the next opportunity we had to swing by her home, someone could give a look and ballpark the job for her. We told her we'd forward the rates for the home repairs and maintenance work she wanted done as well as the rates for some electrical work she'd asked about. To date, we have not looked at her house as our crews have not been in her area. This would have been the week when we had time to look at her home.

08/07/2012

Joseph P.

They were able to do the job in about 5 days after I called them. The workers were courteous and efficient. They left remaining new shingles with me upon request. They did a good job.

Description of Work
Replaced the shingles on the roof corner (from storm damage). They bought the replacement shingles and installed them, and applied cement on the surrounding shingles.

04/28/2012

Ann O.

Workers always on time, quiet, clean and friendly. Dan's worker seem to a easy their work. They have done work for me in the past and i never have to call them back for corrections.

Description of Work
Dan sliding shelves custom made for kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanity. Transformed pantry. Framed two large marbles in living, dining rooms.

Category closet systems, remodeling, siding, home & garage organization, woodworking, marble & granite

04/28/2012

Susan P.

On time started immediately. Explained what was needed and did what they said very polite workers did good job.

Description of Work
Repair to external wood root kitchen day window dumped. Replaced wood with pvc, painted.

Category replacement windows, house painters, interior painters

03/03/2012

Carol S.

I have used DHC in the past for major remodeling (kitchen and 2 baths).As expected, the work was meticulous. Time was taken to protect furniture and floors. Work was very best.

Description of Work
Painting for kitchen, dining room, foyer, and music room. DHC prepped the walls and painted walls and ceiling.

Category interior painters

Closets By Design - Washington DC Metro

Manufactures and installs custom closets, home offices, garage storage, pantries, wall units & storage cabinetry. Award winning. Additional DBA - Caron Designs Inc.

Avec Construction Inc

We are locally owned and operated construction company and have been doing installations and remodelling since 2005. We like to differ ourselves from the competition with the exceptional customer service and care, attention to the details and therefore to excellence in quality of workmanship and products. With each and every project being unique, we do oversee the entire project from initial design and free estimate, the permit applications, throughout the entire construction to very last clean up. We treat your project with the highest priority and take a pride in each and every installation. Our satisfied customers are our best advertisement.

2022 Super Service Award

Chris Valunas LLC

We specialize in all phases of remodeling for your home, business, bathrooms, kitchens, finishing basements, and more! We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Check out all the services we offer below and call -or- click to schedule a free estimate today!

Appliance repairs

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.)

How is DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) overall rated?

DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) is currently rated 4.9 overall out of 5.

What days are DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) open?

DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) is open:

What payment options does DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) provide

DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) accepts the following forms of payment: Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

Does DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) offer free estimates?

Ask DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) for details on free project estimates.

Does DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) offer eco-friendly accreditations?

Yes, DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) offers eco-friendly accreditations.

Does DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) offer a senior discount?

Yes, DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) offers a 65% senior discount.

Are warranties offered by DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.)?

Yes, DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) offers warranties.

What services does DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) offer?

DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) offers the following services: DRYWALL, CARPENTRY, WATER DAMAGE RESTORATION, PAINTING; INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR, GUTTERS AND DOWNSPOUTS, HOME INSPECTION, CONCRETE WORK, BRICK AND FLAGSTONE REPAIRS, WOOD DECKS AND SEALING, DOORS, ROOFING, SIDING; WOOD, VINYL AND ALUMINUM, KITCHEN AND BATHROOM REMODELING, FENCES, WINDOWS- preferred installer of SIMONTON windows and patio doors.

Are there any services DHC Repairs and Remodeling (Dan Himmelfarb Co.) does not offer?

Appliance repairs