Definition Painting Services, Inc.

Founded 2005 • With Angi since May 2008

Definition Painting Services, Inc. is a small, family owned & operated business located in Howard County, MD. We employ more than 15 + professional staff members. The owner is our estimator and general manager. Though our foreman run the crews, Joel is available on a daily basis to ensure complete

Black Owned & OperatedBlack Owned & Operated

interior painting (556)drywall (81)house painting (71)wallpaper removal (36)woodworking (21)pressure washing (18)plastering (15)deck cleaning (13)handyman (13)tile installation (8)cabinet refacing (6)home remodeling (6)

11/11/2022

Chris K.

They do a good job but when they make a mistake they will not own it. Also, when they ask for cash, they want straight cash (not a check, Zelle or anything else) which is kind of suspicious. There are better painters out there that cost less and doesn't ask for straight cash.

Description of Work
Cabinet painting

Category interior painters

This customer asked for a lower price, so we offered a cash price. It is legal, and there is nothing suspicious about it. We do offer cash, check, and Visa/MasterCard, all legal methods. We also decided to end our relationship with him, though he wanted to move forward, because of his erratic behavior. We do not tolerate that, and will not put our employees in danger. We have been in business since 2005, and many customers are happy with our work, and often refer us to others. There are cheaper painters out there, for sure, but most of them do not have overhead costs because they are not licensed or insured. Thank you for reading.

02/13/2021

Ken S.

Final product was excellent. The young man was superb. The young lady was not nearly as competent, particularly about protecting our floors. All is good now however and we’re happy.

Description of Work
Indoor painting of a couple rooms, doors, water-damaged ceilings.

Category contractors, interior painters

Work Completed On 02/13/2021

01/03/2021

p A.

We had wood paneling painted in a family room (real estate agent's recommendation) as well as several halls, stairs and other rooms. Definition was easy to work with, did excellent work, cleaned up all debris and left everything in good order. Their price was competitive or better than other quotes I obtained. i am very pleased with the result and would highly recommend them for any painting jobs.

Description of Work
Interior painting of a house in preparation for a move.

Category contractors

Work Completed On 12/28/2020

Thank you, it was our pleasure working with you!

12/05/2020

Cheryl P.

Much better than we thought. They gave us a guote and stuck to it, finishing in less than the time they estimated. They were fast, professional, very polite, wore masks because of the pandemic, worked around our issue of 3 cats who couldn't be boarded. We appreciated their attention to small details . Start to finish professional AND pleasant. If we have a project in the spring, they get our first call.

Description of Work
Painting of a living/dining room open area, kitchen and two stairways % hall

Work Completed On 12/04/2020

Thank you for your comments, we appreciate it!

06/29/2020

James A.

Joel responded quickly to my request for a painting project quote. He came out to the house and surveyed the rooms and gave me a fair price for the painting of two bedroom and a hallway. Within that week two representatives began work prepping and painting the two rooms. The crew was done within two days and the job done was beautiful. They were very detailed in repairing any wall imperfections (cracks, bumps, etc.). The finished job was without error. I would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
Painting of two bedrooms and a hallway

Work Completed On 05/18/2020

Review for Definition Painting Services, Inc. - PO Box 952, Columbia, MD - 38679827

Thank you & we appreciate your review!

12/09/2019

Andrew D.

They were excellent from start to finish. Very professional and considerate. Highly recommend!

Description of Work
All rooms/ceilings/trim on main floor

Work Completed On 12/02/2019

Thank you for your review! It was a pleasure working for you and we look forward to future projects!

10/21/2019

Richard K.

I invite them back again and again! They're WONDERFUL. Joel is very fair and understanding. Karen, the office manager is very cordial, professional and articulate. The crew is FANTASTIC!

Description of Work
Paint walls and ceiling in our dining room

Work Completed On 08/20/2020

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate your continual business with us!

09/15/2019

Terrill (Terri) M.

The painting was done reasonably well. However, I would suggest they are not as professional as they should be when quoting jobs or if corrections need to be made. Get everything in writing from them. Otherwise, they refuse to stand by their word/promises.

Description of Work
House interior painting

Work Completed On 09/15/2019

Thank you for the comments, however, we feel the need to compare notes. For background information, the estimate was completed one year ago, in October 2018. The projects were broken into [Member Information Removed] stages, and we worked with this customer to schedule each one according to her needs, and re-scheduled for her, as needed. This process, meaning the completion of all projects, took almost one year in total. There were no recorded revisions to the estimate during this time. She mentioned that we verbally agreed to prime/paint hand railings after she would strip them to bare wood, however, we only had noted that we were to paint the walls, ceiling, and trim in this area, and not railings. She became upset that our 'verbal agreement' was not met, even though our estimator and office manager had no recollection nor written evidence of this request. It would have cost more to do this, and we gave her a price, which she refused because she thought that it was included. She reviewed her notes once more, and called us back, stating that she believes that she originally spoke to one of our foreman, and not our estimator, prior to our estimator's first arrival. This cannot be so because we only send our estimator first prior to any start date, unless an estimate is completed via the phone or email, which is not typical for new customers. Then, our customers meet our foreman and the crew on the start date. We did apologize for any potential miscommunication, however, our proposals are very clear. This is an unfortunate end because we felt that we had built a nice rapport with this customer, and tried to be very accommodating through the entire year. We did not raise our prices, or ask for payments sooner than what was consistent with what was written. We also did not end agreement when the customer needed us to break up the last project into smaller parts, which is more costly for us to stop a project and return another time. There is always something for us to learn in any situation, and we will gladly do so and grow. Thank you.

07/03/2019

HARRY M.

They do a good job, they do a nice work, been using them for years, and I have used them for your rental properties as well.

Description of Work
Interior Painting Service for my house

Work Completed On 07/03/2019

It is always a pleasure to work with you, thank you!

05/10/2019

Reed C.

We have a small wood exterior section around the front door of our corner rowhouse in the city. The paint was terribly chipping and a few boards had started rotting. We had Definition Painting replace the boards and repaint everything. The arrived promptly to view the property and give an estimate and then also to do the work a few weeks later. Professional, no-nonsense. A little pricey but worth it for the excellent service.

Description of Work
Fix up of wood exterior section of brick rowhouse

Category woodworking, house painters

Work Completed On 05/07/2019

Thank you!

02/24/2019

Rashmi D.

Overall, we are happy with the work. We were able to negotiate a satisfactory price for the work that included painting the interior of the house including the walls, ceiling, trim and most of the closets. While it took a while to finalize the contract, they accommodated us for the start date for the work. In the most part the painting crew was good. However, given the size of the job - took a total of eight days with at least three painters daily - they kept changing the members of the painting crew. The quality of work done by individuals was not uniform. We are overall satisfied with the work and will definitely hire them again; we would have like some of the painters to pay a little more attention to the finishing details - edging and clean-up in some areas. It seemed that the last day there was some rush to finish the work and not enough time for a thorough inspection.

Description of Work
Interior painting for the whole house.

Work Completed On 01/24/2019

Thank you for your comments. We apologize for any concerns, however, we will gladly use this experience to improve our services. Please feel free to contact us directly with any questions.

01/15/2019

Michelle T.

The project was completed quickly and the ceiling looks great. The crew worked some painting magic because the ceilings looked awful before they painted them. I was very happy with the crew who worked at my house, the office who coordinated the project and the estimator that came out and gave me a quote.

Description of Work
Painted ceiling in great room and kitchen

Work Completed On 01/15/2019

Thank you so much for your review!

01/11/2019

Christopher B.

Outstanding. Best painting company I've worked with in terms of value, overall price, pleasant and efficient office staff and painters. I highly recommend.

Description of Work
interior painting, drywall patching, and flooring installation

Category drywall, flooring contractor, interior painters

Work Completed On 12/28/2018

We are so glad that everything worked out. Thank you for your review!

10/22/2018

Thomas M.

Project went well and the work was done professionally. There was a problem with the deck stain. The stain did not match the Sherwin Williams color chart and as a result required a re-stain in a new color and required an additional charge. I will not use a Sherwin Williams product again.

Description of Work
Interior and exterior painting

Category house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 10/22/2018

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate your inquiry and will strive to do better!

10/21/2018

Joan M.

I’m extremely pleased with the work performed by Definition Painting Services. The crew was professional, arrived on time, and did a great job. They left the area clean at the end of each day — which I really appreciated. The price included all labor and materials, 2 coats of paint, and a 2-year warranty on peeling/cracking paint. The job took about 4 days. On day 1, they pressure washed the house. On day 2, they prepped the surface (sanding, priming and caulking); days 3 and 4 were devoted to painting. They did a beautiful job, and I love my “new” house!

Description of Work
Exterior Painting. I have a contemporary style home with brick and siding. The job included pressure washing prior to prepping and painting all siding, soffits, fascia boards, eaves, gables, and the carport and walkway ceilings and posts.

Category pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 09/29/2018

Thank you for your feedback. Enjoy the holidays!

10/05/2018

Asha A.

I was very satisfied with the high quality of the work and professionalism of the team - from the owner of the company to the crew that did the actual work. The crew members were courteous, punctual and completed the work two days prior to the estimated completion time. Initially I was encouraged by the reasonableness of their price and references and at the end I was also impressed by their commitment to stand behind what they say they would do and the quality of their work. I would not only highly recommend them to others but will se them again when the time comes.

Description of Work
Interior painting of the whole house: walls, ceilings, doors, trimmings, closets.

Work Completed On 09/10/2018

Thank you so much for your comments. It was our pleasure working with you!

06/28/2018

gregory K.

I hired Definition Painting to paint my kitchen cabinets. Overall, the paintwork was average in quality and acceptable. The worker was professional and courteous throughout the process. However, after removing my brushed nickel handles, the worker threw them in a bucket with screws and hinges. Needless to say, this was careless at best and resulted in unnecessary damage. To make matters worse, when brought to the owner's attention, he stated that he trained his workers to put everything in a bucket this way; totally ridiculous. Furthermore, the owner was unprofessional and irrational when I attempted to resolve this issue by requesting a discount or replacement of my hardware. I will now incur the added expense of replacing my hardware myself. I recommend finding a more professional provider.

Description of Work
Kitchen Cabinet Painting

Work Completed On 06/28/2018

Thank you for this comment, however, it is very inaccurate. From the beginning, this customer has requested that the price be lowered even beyond the discount that we gave him. The day after we completed the project, he called to ask us for $200 off the total price to replace damaged hardware/knobs, without us even looking at the damage. He was offended that we asked to look at them in person, even though he's asking us to pay for them. Already doesn't make sense. I went the next afternoon to look at the hardware in question, and saw absolutely nothing wrong with them. We also reminded the customer that his wife removed the pieces out of the bucket and washed/possibly scrubed them, prior to us re-installing them. After telling him this, he promptly told me that I was offending his wife, and that's when the cursing/name calling started. I then proceeded to offer him $80 off the final price, even though we did nothing wrong. He declined. I then offered to contact our insurance company to send a field advisor to view the hardware. I told him that if they found us to be at fault for any damage that they would not only pay for his hardware, but I would not charge him one penny for the painting work. He declined that offer. He then proceeded to tell me to verbally admit what we did because "it was not just about the money, but about the principal." I declined as I didn't have anything to admit. I could clearly see that there was nothing wrong with the knobs. He then proceeded to throw me out of his house. He told me that I was a 'mother f-er' and that I was a scum bag. He said that I should take my piece of crap car that I was driving and get the *bleep* out of there. Then, as I was putting my shoes on at the door, he pulled a '180' and said "I can write you a check quickly." Rather than turning around to accept this check, I just walked out. There is no telling what he is capable of doing. I have never, in my entire 40 years, been treated this terribly by anyone. Never. Even though he insulted me, cursed at me, tried to brain wash me into thinking that I was going to admit something that was false, I stayed calm and collected. I was respectful. As a believer, I will say one last thing. I forgive him for the wrong things that he did against me, and ask for forgiveness for anything I may unknowingly have done against him. I ask God to bless him and his family. Thank you.

06/20/2018

TIMOTH C.

The two guys both did a fine job, after I pointed out some minor painting faults, like uneven borders around the new crown molding.

Description of Work
Bedroom painted and crown molding installed

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 06/20/2018

06/18/2018

eileen G.

great job. communication could be better.

Description of Work
power wash and stain deck

Category deck cleaning, pressure washing

Work Completed On 06/18/2018

Thank you for your continual business with us. We really appreciate it!

05/31/2018

Lawrence B.

We were very satisfied. The crews were very professional, worked carefully, and cleaned up their work space very compulsively at the end of each day. They take their time and do it right, especially the prep work. Their pricing is very competitive. Best of all is their responsive service and work ethic: Karen in the office always responds to calls and emails right away, and Joel, who does the estimates, is absolutely responsive and dependable. And, in the unusal situation where the work is not done just right, they come back promptly to fix the problem. They are an outstanding company.

Description of Work
Four painting and drywall projects over an 18 month period. Interior painting of drywall and plaster, repairing major damage to drywall due to plumbing repairs, removing wallpaper and preparing surface for painting, and installing hand rails for stairways. Exterior work included painting all trim, doors, and shutters on a brick home.

Category drywall, wallpaper removal, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 05/15/2018

Thank you for your comments!

05/25/2018

Stacy R.

The team arrived at exactly 8:00 am. They were very professional, I had several areas of my house being painted at once. The team worked efficiently and expertly. My walls needed some spackling and sanding which the team took care of. The team cleaned up and not a speck of dust remained. The painting jobs were done perfectly! I would highly recommend them to anyone looking to have painting done. I will definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Interior Painting

Work Completed On 05/24/2018

Thank you for your comment. It was our pleasure working with you!

05/14/2018

Teresa H.

Definition painting did a wonderful job painting our home. They took a full two days to prep and take care of nail pops, cracks which really made a difference with the final outcome. We used their color consultation service which helped tremendously with our final selection of colors. They provided all the paint (4 different colors) which was a huge help. We requested that this job be completed in a very short timeframe. They honored our request and finished the job on time. We had a few issues with the reinstallment of our window blinds which they came back and addressed promptly. We were very happy with their services and our house looks gorgeous!

Description of Work
Interior painting

Work Completed On 05/14/2018

Thank you!

05/02/2018

Manjula N.

Very easy to work with. Did great job.

Description of Work
Basement Painting