1st Choice Painting and Carpentry

Founded 1991 • With Angi since June 2008

6520 75th St

Cabin John, MD 20818

We provide House Painting, Carpentry, Windows, siding, and remodeling services. We provide personalized attention and customized solutions for homeowners in Montgomery County Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia. We have professional painters and carpenters on staff. We also employ outside specialties as needed. We are licensed and insured in Maryland, Virginia and DC since 1991. Additional DBAs - Home and Energy Doctor....

06/26/2018

Howard B.

Very well. John was timely, responsive, easy to work with, and professional. He was open to suggestions and also willing to make suggestions.

Description of Work
Several window sills and trim were repaired, the house trim was painted, my deck was stained, and the siding and deck were cleaned.

Category decks, woodworking, house painters

06/26/2018

Howard B.

Excellent. John is great to work with.

Description of Work
Exterior painting, repairing window and garage trim, deck cleaning/staining.

Category replacement windows, woodworking, house painters

09/04/2015

Stephen and Jean H.

John Rabner works with one patiently to decide scope of work as well as with respect to selecting painting and staining colors and color combinations. He works with and supervises carefully his employees. The employees are hard-working, polite, clean, neat AND clean up after themselves in a thoughtful, careful way. John Rabner is considerate about scheduling and keeping you informed. He provides service with great integrity and pride. We think the quality of his work and his warrantee of it is in synch with his prices which are competitive but higher than the average. We have no intention of using anyone else.

Description of Work
Carpentry (3 sections of wood rail plus an archway entrance to a garden) plus refinishing a covered outdoor wood floor; repairing window frame damaged by wood bees; power washing of two porches, two car garage doors, archway entrance to garden; repairing ceiling of one porch; priming and painting two porches ( including columns and ceiling ), two garage doors, archway to garden, new exterior door interior and frame; installing sconce outside light fixture plus timer switch for light.

Category decks, electrician, flooring contractor, replacement windows, woodworking, house painters, interior painters

09/02/2015

Robert P.

The whole process was done exceptionally well and we are extremely happy with the results. John and the workers did exceptional work and it was all done within the designated 2.5 week work frame. The workers kept everything clean and neat. The workmanship was outstanding and the workers friendly and considerate. The contractor (John Rabner) showed up every day to check on progress and to discuss with us any questions we had or changes that we had to suggest. No rehab is ever fun, but this one was exceptional for the results, the professionalism of the contractor and workers, and the adherence to the schedule. I cannot over emphasize how happy my wife and I are about the work and results of the work of this contractor.

Description of Work
The contractor helped in designing a new kitchen. His company completely demolished the kitchen and dining room and constructed the new kitchen and dining room from the floor to the ceiling.

Category remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

I want you both to know how much I enjoyed working with you. You brought so much grace and ease to the project, and in creating a 'partnership' as we navigated our way towards final designs and then the work itself. I would be a great reference for you any day!

02/06/2015

Jane S.

I have been using John Rabner for 5-6 years. He has provided many services for me including building a stackable washer/dryer area out of an unused closet, handicapped preventative solutions, landscaping, replacing wood soffit and fascia that had dry rot, setting up portable humidifier in my basement, and extensive painting. No job seems to be too big and the people he uses are well trained, reliable, and courteous. He has an honest concern about older people and helps out when they need it regarding household problems. It is very reassuring to have someone to call on when you need help with home maintenance.

Description of Work
This time John replaced my storm door and helped with a problem in the basement.

07/05/2014

Constantine S.

It went very well. Two people came out and perform the work. It took several days. They are extremely professional, creative, responsive, and reasonably priced. I would tell a friend or family member to expect the best quality work available and very pleasant people to deal with.

Description of Work
They did some home remodeling and construction. They remodeled the front porch.

Category remodeling

06/25/2014

Stephen and Jean H.

The scope of work was carefully worked out in collaboration with us. We worked collaboratively on details such as materials, colors, and costs. A work schedule was also presented and approved by us. All work was done to our satisfaction and accordance to schedule. The clean-up after work was completed was excellent. We strongly recommend them for painting skills, timeliness, and honesty of approach.

Description of Work
Interior paintlng. Interior light carpentry. Exterior carpentry and repair of old window frames. Exterior painting of window frames and garage doors.

06/19/2014

Victor C.

It went very well. They did an excellent job. The owner was very responsive and provided detailed updates about the work. Kept contact on a regular basis, great communication!

Description of Work
They did work to relocate our laundry room to a different area of my house, which involved plumbing and drywall work.

Category remodeling

04/08/2014

Tim T.

It was okay. He really wanted to upsell me and I wasn't interested. As soon as he gets in here the very first thing he wants to do is sell me something and I only have one room I wanted to do.

Description of Work
I did use 1st Choice Painting and Home Improvements.

04/02/2014

Lisa G.

It's very good and they did a good job. I like it because they were clean.

Description of Work
I used the interior and exterior painting service of 1st Choice Painting and Home Improvements.

Category house painters, interior painters

02/01/2014

david P.

We've used John Rabner's 1st Choice for many jobs, large (kitchen, remodeling, bath remodeling along with a lot of other renovating) and small (replace a sliding glass door), and he's always done fabulous work on time, on budget. A few weeks ago he and his guys finished a complete bath remodel, a lot of painting and electrical work, and replacement of 40+ year old interior doors & frames. They did a fantastic job. Then on Thursday the faucet on the tub broke. He came over right away at dinner time, added shut off valves to the faucet, and put the faucet back together. Charge for parts & labor? Nada. Absolutely nothing. That's the kind service & support you get from John Rabner & 1st Choice. I cannot recommend them highly enough. Here's the way we've done business, and I recommend you do the same. Several years ago, I interviewed three contractors I found on the List, explained that I liked to settle on someone good, maintain a relationship, & use them on all my jobs. I've done that with my plumber (Coleman), my electrician (Arnie Hoffman), mechanic (Satellite), car dealer (Carmax Toyota), and landscaper (Kalyx Green), and the contractor, since retired, before I hired 1st Choice. I said I understood contracts, but what I wanted was a gentleman's agreement that we'd do right by each other: I'd pay for what he did, he'd make sure it was right. Here's the result of that approach: I've gotten fabulous work done on time, there's been no problem at my end paying for change orders (inevitable in renovating old houses) and getting things fixed when as will happen, something goes wrong, he's made a living, and we have remodeling my wife loves: new kitchen, gas fireplace & bookshelves in the living room, renovated baths, painting inside and out--virtually a new house. You cannot go wrong with John Rabner's 1st Choice.

Description of Work
Came over on a moment's notice to fix a tub faucet which wasn't working.

Category plumbing, interior painters

04/23/2013

Patricia S.

I was pleased that Angie's List stood behind their "deal" and when I explained the situation they refunded my "deal" money.

Description of Work
I purchased an Angie's deal for interior painting, two rooms for $495.00, with some stipulations. The two rooms I wanted painted were aproximately 9' X 10' and had quite a few "nail holes" where I had pictures and shelves removed. The company owner came over and looked at the rooms, took a seemingly long time to come up with an estimate then said the project was very complicated and would take over a week and the cost would be over $2000.00 (I don't remember the exact cost, but I thought it outrageous). I told him I would have to think about it. He called me back and I told him I thought I had been given a "bait and switch" because the price was so out of line with the Angie's deal I purchased. I called Angie's List and told them what happened and they refunded by "deal" money. The painter I did hire for the job did excellent work and charged me under $800 for the two rooms originally intended (he fixed all the holes too) plus my master bedroom with vaulted ceiling and a complicated stairwell with multiple landings.

Category interior painters

Our practice is to always provide straightforward and professional service to our clients. I regret that this member's experience was as she described and somewhat confused about how our interaction lead to her conclusions. That said, I endeavor to learn something from everyone I meet.

03/18/2013

david P.

See above. 1st Choice did a fantastic job. When we redo the baths, we'll bring them in again. In fact, already have a ballpark bid from them.

Description of Work
I've used 1st Choice for a number of home improvement projects, big & small. They just finished the biggest, a complete remodeling of the kitchen plus replacing all copper water pipe (the pipe was beginning to spring pinhole leaks), replacing the floor & bringing a basement kitchen up to code. They provided design help, brought in a first rate kitchen firm for cabinets, a first rate floor firm, & a plumber for replacing copper pipe. The design profoundly changed the way we experience the kitchen, the cabinets are excellent, with a lot more storage & when the plumber got a bit sloppy, they brought him to heel and made sure he finished his share of the job. The floor contractor did a first rate job, too. In short, 1st Choice is an excellent general contractor, and their own guys--carpenters, electricians, & painters--do fantastic work.

Category custom cabinets, electrician, flooring contractor, plumbing, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

02/25/2013

Constantine S.

John is a consummate professional. Always on time. Courteous. Explains the work to be done and the cost. He is a perfectionist and a master craftsman. In addition, he comes up with creative solutions to problems that result in a finished product that is beyond my expectations. I also find him a pleasant person to deal with. I recommend him highly.

Description of Work
Remodel porch, installed new roof, replaced columns, paint, regrade walkway

Category remodeling, house painters

12/29/2012

MICHAEL J.

Excellent. Quick, efficient, professional. Worked around our boxes and furniture at move in. Many compliments on the paint job from visitors.

Description of Work
Painted multiple rooms in our new condo

10/30/2012

david P.

They did an excellent job, working with me on designing the mantel from pictures in a brochure and designing new cases in a tricky corner. They did this work in a timely manner, were quite responsive to all my concerns, and came in on budget--no easy task, given how much of the work was designed seat of the pants. They showed up on time, worked hard all day, cleaned up at the end of the day so that we could use the room, and finished on time. We plan to use them again in the spring to remodel our kitchen, which is now 27 years old. I cannot recommend them highly enough. As for basement remodeling, given my experience with them on various projects--interior painting, exterior painting, handy man stuff, replacing storm & sliding doors, replacing interior bi-fold doors--they'll do an excellent job. I'd hire them in a heartbeat.

Description of Work
1st choice remodeled our living room: it tore out existing book cases & then built new ones & a mantel around a gas fireplace installed by another contractor, built additional book cases across the room, moved recessed ceiling lights, and pained the room. My advice is trust them to the job you want. They give excellent advice.

Category remodeling, interior painters

10/16/2012

Kathie F.

The job went very well. As always, have a good understanding of what the contractor has estimated to do, and what not. Always expect that extra work will be required when working on exteriors. Water runs and rots where you cannot see until the painter puts his hand throught a soffit that is rotten! We started with 1st Choice from a special through Angie's list. It was for a special low cost for 8 hours of work, or something to that effect. This was not a scam, but by the time you have done $8,000.00 worth of work, you have no idea whether you got the deal or not. I believe st Choice did give us a discount based on our initial purchase.

Description of Work
1st Choice did a good job of reparing and painting our exterior. They worked with us to get the best value (for example, repair windows and not replace them) for everything needed. Extras, which are inevitablle in this type of work, were reasonable priced.

Category replacement windows, house painters

08/30/2012

Julia R.

We have previously used 1st Choice, John Rabner, for interior painting - which was an excellent experience, so we contacted 1st Choice when we needed some exterior work. John met with us and after reviewing the list of exterior work to be done, we walked the exterior of the house to review each area. John gave us a verbal estimate for labor which we thought was reasonable. This estimate excluded materials, as this was a handyman type project and would be accomplished on a time and material basis. The work was scheduled in just one week after receiving the estimate. 1st Choice arrived on time, worked hard, and completed all the work in two days. We received a detailed invoice for the work accomplished. The 1st Choice crew was professional, friendly, efficient and left the area spotless. We highly recommend 1st Choice.

Description of Work
Exterior work: Repair / replacement and painting of wood trim, sealing cracks, caulking mortar joints, rehang gutter, reworking PVC pipe for sump pump, repair portions of the deck.

Category handyman service, house painters, interior painters

07/11/2012

Drew S.

John is great. He is meticulous very considerate, and makes sure that he understands what you want before he begins work. If there is a problem while he is working, he will stop, and make sure he discusses and resolves the issue before proceeding. He did an excellent job on our house. He completed the work in days. He and his crew were professional and friendly. He did the work he said he did, and did a good job - no cutting of short cuts. We have just met with John again recently (June 2012). He has completed an energy audit of our house, and we will be working with him to make improvements where needed to the house.

Description of Work
Fixed Water Damage in several rooms, including repairing drywall and painting. Replaced bifold closet doors with solid wood doors. Replaced trim around doors to match 1928 part of our house - work was done in 1980 part of house. Prepped and painted several rooms.

Category remodeling, interior painters

04/17/2012

Essie S.

They were very professional and they did a decent job.

Description of Work
They painted my bedroom.

03/16/2012

Jane T.

The painters arrived on time. I chose the color and 1st Choice provided the paint. They did an excellent job.

Description of Work
I had an old brick wall and fireplace removed in my family room. I was left with exposed dry wall that needed to be painted. Since the family room is open to the kitchen there was quite a lot of painting to be done. 1st Choice prepped the dry wall, moved the furniture, and did an excellent job of painting.

03/09/2012

N W.

I bought a coupon deal, and had several projects in mind so when John came out we decided the bedroom / bathroom project was most likely to be the one day job the coupon allowed for. The crew was very timely and their work was really excellent. They patched the ceiling in the bathroom, painted the bathroom and adjoining bedroom in one day. The quality of the work was really good, and the painters did a nice job cleaning up when they were done.

Description of Work
Interior painting of bedroom and bathroom.

02/13/2012

Jerry and Linda H.

This has been the most frustrating and unprofessional experience with a contractor in at least several decades. I had originally purchased a discounted contract to be applied toward painting from Angies List. When the owner of the companyt arrived, he examined the house and the work to be done and cited a fairly high price for the work. He assured me that the work would be top quality, hence the higher price. When the time came to do the work (repair woodwork generally around exterior and doors windows, followed by painting) I had to make repeated calls to bring his attention to what I considered to be work of far less than top quality. I pointed out things ranging from the fact the trim had not been painted behing downspouts at the corners of the house, and that repairs and putty had not been well sanded prior to painting so that joints and nailholes stood out and were clearly visible, etc. After several return visits to repair most such reitems, he abbruptly told me that the curved molding that he had ordered had never arrived, and that he would not come back to replace and paint this curved window molding. He announced that since I had paid all but the final $ 500 of the bill, we would be even. He did cash in the Angie's list coupon for nearly $ 500 and said that the estimate was for over and above the coupon. I would rate the work (after returning to attend to items I pointed out) as being of C+ quality. The costs, I considered to be far higher than they should have been, especially since the most complicated and expensive item (according to the initial estimate) was never completed. I would never allow 1st Choice Painting and Home Improvements to set foot on my property again.

Description of Work
The services were for the painting of the woodwork on a single family home. As the house is bring and shingles, the only things that were painted were wooden portions of the house, windows, side and back doors, porch railings, etc. There was a significant amount of wood repair required, mostly on the sills of the windows, prior to painting. The separate garage was not included.

Category decks, handyman service, house painters

I appreciate the frustration expressed here by this client. I learned through the experience that communication can be a tricky and sometimes elusive. Once it became clear that the clients expectations far exceeded his initial descriptions of what he wanted, I attempted to find a common ground that would be satisfactory to all involved. It was not to be found, though, and the client became abusive in both tone and words even as I went above and beyond our initial agreement to meet his demands. At the point at which all rapport was lost (and the issue of the missing trim part surfaced), I chose to end the job and leave behind an amount of money equal to the uncompleted portion of the project. In is my view the best choice that I could make for all involved...and I wished him well.

01/17/2012

Alan S.

I bought one of the Angie's List coupons for 2 painters for 8 hours. The owner of the company contacted me very quickly after the purchase. It took a little time going back and forth on the phone and over email (with some photos) until he came over to the house to actually look at the proposed project. The final scope of the project that I decided on took the cost well beyond the price of the coupon. However, he worked with me to get the most work done within my budget. This included making sure I didn't purchase too much paint, what I could get done with one coat, etc. He was also very helpful with the colors. He advised to cut the wall color to 25% for use on the ceiling and trim and it looked great. The painting crew was very professional. They moved the furniture, covered everything, and put it all back when they were finished. They were on time to start work, worked quickly and continuously, and were very friendly and courteous. The painting work was high quality. They were also very neat. The carpet was cleaner when they were done than when they started. It really looked like the carpets had been cleaned. They cleaned everything near where they were painting -- window sills, folding closet doors. The estimated time to complete the project was three days, but the owner brought in an additional painter and the work was completed in two days. Overall, this was an excellent contractor experience.

Description of Work
Painted townhouse master bedroom, second floor hall, and stair.

12/15/2011

Paul G.

They came out on time, were punctual and professional. We decided not to use the service at the time because it turned out to be more expensive than we were willing to pay for at the moment.

Description of Work
They came out to give me a quote for a painting job.