Bowie Home Improvement Inc

Founded 1987 • With Angi since July 2010

4.4

11900 GRASON LN

Bowie, MD 20715

Let me introduce myself. My name is Bill Schmitt and I am the owner of Bowie Home Improvements Inc. We are a small, full service home improvement company that specializes in the installation of select custom kitchens and bathrooms. We also perform any type of general renovation and home improvements including additions, basements, decks, porches, sun room, screen porches and structural work. I relocated my business from New York to Maryland and I have been a professional home improvement contractor for over 27 years. Bowie Home Improvements Inc. was started in January of 1987. When I relocated my business I decided to keep things small. In New York my company had on average from 10 to 15 employees. The reason I decided to stay small was so that every client would benefit from my personal involvement on every project. I found that my clients were much happier with this approach. This approach worked so well that most of my business has been from referrals since 1995, we do little advertising. Being a small company I can offer you rapid pricing on any project you may have. Immediate contact with me is always available via my personal cell phone as I understand how important that is to you. I am an expert at project problem solving and installation. My team is able to perform structural, electrical, plumbing, ceramic tile, trim, cabinets, custom modifications and much more. My pricing is competitive and I believe I am very easy to work with. If you are looking for professional design, installation and construction for any of your projects, feel free to give me a call. I would be happy to meet with you and answer any questions you may have ....

08/06/2018

Kathy C.

It went very well. The workmen immediately realized we needed roof repairs as well as skylights to finally stop the leaks. We've had other repairs done that didn't hold and were glad to find out what the real problem was. Bill and his workers were responsive, efficient, and pleasant to deal with. They explained the steps to us, wasted no time, and cleaned up after each day.

Description of Work
We had a leaky roof around skylights in our sunroom.

Category drywall, roofing, skylights, interior painters

Thank you [Member Name Removed]. It was great to work for you again and see that you were still enjoying the project I did for you over 25 years ago.

03/24/2018

Marek P.

Bill's crew did a great job resurfacing our deck for a fair and honest price. When he found a joist that was rotting, he replaced it for a fair price and did not try to use it to "upsell" us. I highly recommend Bowie Home Improvement because of the quality and honest of this work.

Description of Work
Resurfacing of deck

Category decks

02/07/2018

Marek P.

Bill Schmitt is a contractor with integrity. He spotted a problem with the structure of my home that a number of other people missed. If Bill didn't find this problem, my roof would have eventually collapsed... on my family. Bill and his crew fixed the roof at a fair rate, did a thorough job, and gave attention to detail. If you are looking for someone who will give you an honest assessment of your situation and go above and beyond, Bill's your guy.

Description of Work
Bowie Home Improvement installed two structural beams in my home, completed dry wall work, re-painted the room, and installed a new roof on my home.

Category drywall, picture framing, roofing

12/23/2017

Lynne K.

It was a journey... A project of this size has a number of challenges; contractor was responsive to all requests and willing to ensure the quality of work met our satisfaction

Description of Work
Siding, exterior doors and storm doors, electric garage door, windows, fascia Contractor was required to move a set of steps in the garage attic in order to install the garage door and reduce the size of the side door

Category garage doors, remodeling, siding, replacement windows, home remodeling, house painters

02/20/2017

Yvonne W.

They were professional, punctual and priced reasonally.

Description of Work
Fixed ceiling damage from leak and other ceiling defects

Category drywall

12/30/2016

Marcia M.

The crew was incompetent, and they took an incredibly long time to do simple work. Thank goodness I hired a different crew to do the other major work in my home. I also had to repeatedly ask for a written estimate/invoice in order to submit a payment. That's just unprofessional.

Description of Work
Drywall repair

Category drywall

12/13/2016

Daniel K.

The worst deal and service received ever. The prices are outrageously high compared to the service quality and delivery. I had other contractors to finish and complete their work. Just unprofessionally awful services.

Description of Work
Home improvement work

Category handyman service, remodeling

This person said we did not do any work for them and then complained about it. He also put my address as his. I can find no record of any work done for him . Possibly a false review.

10/20/2016

Danita d S.

On time, professional but the caulking did not last in the shower. We had to have that redone because it started leaking.

Description of Work
Purchased offer: $99 for Three Hours of Kitchen/Bathroom Caulking and Grout Restoration

Category lead paint removal

10/12/2016

mar W.

Service was great. Be careful on the timing as clock starts running when they leave the office, not when they show up at your house.

Description of Work
Light painting. Caulking. Changing bulbs. Minor plumbing.

Category handyman service, interior painters

05/13/2016

Mary V.

The workers were prompt, professional, on time and dedicated to what they were doing. The company owner was available both by phone and in person as needed/requested.

Description of Work
Redid master bath to include a space for a front load washer and dryer. This work included removing wallpaper, removing the old tile floor, cutting out the wall and preparing the space for the washer/dryer, relaying a new tile floor and painting. They also added a light over the washer/dryer, did the plumbing and electrical and connected it all!

Category ceramic tile, drywall, picture framing, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

05/08/2016

Debra S.

The first day of the job we were called and told that one of the workers was dealing with a personal issue and the crew would be late. At the end of the first day of work I asked what time they would return the next day and was told they would be there at 8:00 each morning. Each day they arrived between 60 to 90 minutes late. The drywall that was done had such huge grooves or ruts that simple sanding would not suffice. We had to do additional sanding and spackling for a total of 4 days before painting. The crew pointed out to us that they had to remove a towel rack and that they would repair the spots where they removed it. They did not. We were leaving for Florida and did not take note of how bad it was. My husband called and asked the owner for a receipt. The owner told him that the cancelled check was his receipt. Yes, but the right thing to do would have been to mail or email a receipt. After leaving a review on the facebook page for the company, the owner was completely unable to deal with it. He was downright nasty and rude and bordered on threatening. Yes, we could have called, but after the unprofessional, obnoxious, bullying way in which he behaved online, calling him did not sound like a good option. Heaven help anyone he does a job for who may have an older family member or someone who is easily bullied. Definitely would not use them again and certainly would not recommend them. He could take lessons from his crew, the crew was quite polite and courteous.

Description of Work
Bowie Home Improvement was hired to install a new shower enclosure.

Category drywall, remodeling, home remodeling

All of my contact was with Mr. [Member Name Removed]. Ms. [Member Name Removed] has made many false claims about the work and what followed.

04/21/2016

Ralph D.

Not well. Multiple issues and they came back out. When they came back out we signed a statement saying what was wrong and that was all they are going to fix and this is final. Well, the bottom of the shower door leaks now, no sealant. The bathroom floor floods. We have to get someone else out to fix the issue now.

Description of Work
Bathroom shower.

Category home remodeling

I am sorry you are unhappy with the service. You wanted a "repair" as you did not want to spend the money to replace the entire shower. Your mother who we did the work for made a number of complaints about the work which were untrue. When I presented pictures of the pre-conditions she was complaining about, she became abusive. We addressed the complaints some of which were imaginary. And yes, I required an agreement as to what was to be done to address your complaints. You demanded we re-grout the shower floor and lower wall with white grout even though the rest of the shower grout was off white. You demanded we fix the end of the baseboard heater that was never touched. You demanded we paint some of the tiles pink which had nothing to do with contract agreement. Your mother claimed we made the shower threshold different than what was there before. When I showed her the before pictures she claimed it was not her bathroom. She also claimed we did not install a shower membrane and I showed her pictures of that as well and she yelled and screamed at me. Being rude and abusive to me and my worker and making false statements is no way to have a good working relationship with anyone.

04/18/2016

NORMA H.

the owner came out assessed the job, called later with price quote and made arrangement to pick up deposit. On Monday (4/11/16) one man and a helper showed up. I have to say Steve is a good worker who appears very skilled. He proceeded to do framing, plumbing, and electrical, simultaneously. There was equipment, tools and product all over. drop clothes making a path from garage through kitchen through hall through my bedroom to the bath. On Friday (4/15/16) Steve told me that he had death in his family and would not be back until Thursday(4/21/16) He reluctantly said maybe someone else would be in to finish up.(I got the impression he really did not think so) I heard nothing from the owner either to apologize for the inconvience or offer other options. I had gone over a week with the chaos explained earlier add to that buckets of standing water with tools in them Monday morning I called the owner to see what his plans for my job was. Mr. Schmitt got very belligerent, and eventually SLAMMED the phone off. I called back and the discourtesy continued, and he agreed to come get his equipment. My daughter and son soon came in and tried to get the matter resolved, but Mr. Schmitt, continues to believe that his inner office problems are not his responsibility and his client should accept whatever he decides. From a client or customer view, trust me I do not think the customer is always right, but in this case Bowie Home Improvement Inc. needs to accept that much went wrong in the way the client was treated.

Description of Work
Hired to renovate master bath.

Category home remodeling

Ms. [Member Name Removed] called me Monday morning and told me she was going to put my materials and equipment at the curb for trash pick up if I did not have someone there to continue her work. She was told by my employee on Friday that he could not return for 2 or 3 days due to the death of his grandmother and going out of State for the funeral. I also told Ms. [Member Name Removed] this. Her response was "That's not my problem". I and another worker went to her home within 30 minutes of her call and cleaned out or tools and materials. She terminated our contract due to a delay beyond anyone's control. At no time was I anything less than polite and professional. I offered to clean up the floor and tole her, her son-in-law and daughter that it was against company policy to leave the floors dirty. The offer to clean the floors was rejected.

04/15/2016

Jitapong H.

Steve and the other provider were on time and very, very fast. They didn't dawdle at all and got each on the next job I had for them very fast. Just replacing the sump pump took one guy an hour to do, as opposed to "expert" plumbers who said it would take 2-3 hours. To this date the sump pump works perfect! The deal calls for either one person for 8 hours or 2 guys for 4 hours. Very pleased!

Description of Work
A lot of things! Replaced kitchen faucet, bathroom faucets (3), a saferack system in the garage, a new peephole in the front door, and replaced my sump pump. Tremendous!

Category plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

Thank you for the great review.

01/18/2016

Cynthia M.

Work never happened...provider never got back with me.

Description of Work
The work never happened....after several attempts to communicate through the Angie List website , I only experienced either a late response(more than a week) or no response. So I have given up and moving on to another company. I joined Angie List because I thought I would be working with reputable and professional people. If the project was too small or provider was too busy, just letting me know would have been the professional thing to do. I can understand...but no response is unacceptable.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

[Member Name Removed], the issue is that I do not get notices of messages from Angie's list. I only happen to see reviews or messages when I happen to check just to see if there is any traffic. I am not sure why this is happening. I have to hunt through messages to see which ones I have responded to and which ones are waiting for responses. It is very frustrating on my end as well. I have spoken to the Angie's list rep about the message center not indicating which members are waiting for a response and was told my suggestion of highlighting threads waiting on my end was a good idea. As to the not getting notices, I was told it was a MS Outlook issue. If you want to call me on my cell I would be happy to set the message center aside. 240-320-7710

12/01/2015

Gabrielle G.

They did a good job. The service was great.

Description of Work
They replaced the toilet, fixed a cabinet and did some electrical work.

Category remodeling

Thank you for the great review.

11/16/2015

Muhammad U.

Excellent. He did a great job and most importantly was honest, stuck to his word and was on time.

Description of Work
Re grout tub and shower. Did a great job! Would go to again.

Category home remodeling

Thank you for the positive review.

11/09/2015

Betsey W.

The provider contacted me in a timely manner after the purchase of the coupon. Technician arrived on time after calling to say that he was on his way. Work was performed in a timely manner. Area was left as clean if not cleaner than when he arrived. I was asked to review the work before he left. Everything looked great. A month later everything still looks good.

Description of Work
Recaulked a tub.

Category handyman service, home remodeling

Thank you so much for the great review.

11/03/2015

Steven H.

Communication with the company to get the appointment scheduled was not easy initially. Once scheduled however, the young man who did the job was prompt, professional and personable, and he did a satisfactory job on the tasks. For this price and the quality of the work done, I would rehire this company for future tasks.

Description of Work
A variety of odd jobs around the house, including light plumbing and electrical tasks.

Category handyman service, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

I am sorry you were not happy with our schedule. I only have one man who can do the light plumbing and electrical for the "handyman" special. I am quite booked up for his services and could not get him there the first week you requested. 8 hours for 400 is a sweet deal for that type of work. Not too sure what we could have done to make it better for you.

10/21/2015

ian H.

We used Angie's List to locate a contractor after the previous contractor we hired grossly failed to complete the work he was paid to do. Our experience with Bill Schmitt was good from start to finish. The estimate was fair. One worker completed the job and he showed up on time to begin the work on the agreed upon date. The work took one and one half days to complete. The work was well done and we were pleased. We have additional projects to complete and have already contacted Bill to do the work.

Description of Work
Replaced the the shed door and front panel, painted the shed, adjusted the back gate, repaired the railing and minor roof repair.

Category fencing, roofing, home remodeling, house painters

Thank You so much for the great review. I am working hard to keep Angie's List customers happy.

10/07/2015

Sheila D.

The repair to my shower stall turned out to be more extensive than I thought. A few tiles popped out and I couldn't replace them because er was no backboard for the tiles to adhere to. Bill Schmidt and his team came out to assess the situation, took pictures and determined the backboard had deteriorated so much, it needed to be replaced. The job took two days to complete and when they were finished, my shower looked like it was brand new! It is amazing the job they did! I would recommend them to all my friends and neighbors!

Description of Work
Replaced shower stall tile, grouted and cleaned glass enclosure

Category ceramic tile, plumbing, home remodeling

09/26/2015

Brian T.

They arrived about 10 minutes after the scheduled time, but called at the scheduled time to let me know they were running 10-15 minutes late. Even though it was only 10 minutes, I really appreciated the call. Miguel performed the work. He put covers on his shoes as soon as he walked in so that he would not track dirt through the house. He was very polite and professional, told me about how long it would take, and thoroughly reviewed each of the areas with me. I had one section of tile that was very loose, and he told me he wasn't sure the re-grouting would fix this because there might be something else going on beneath the tile. I had grout cleaning done a few months earlier, and was told the same thing at this time as well. I asked him to re-grout this area anyway, and not only did he do the work, but he put a little extra effort in to help with the loose tile. Before Miguel left, he cleaned everything up so there was nothing I needed to do once the work was complete. Overall, I was very pleased with the quality of work, professionalism, cleanliness, communication, and prompt responses. I will definitely use Bowie Home Improvement, Inc again.

Description of Work
Fixed cracked grout in kitchen tile

Category ceramic tile, remodeling, home remodeling

Thank you so much for the work and the positive review. We are a small family owned business and are doing our best to make Angie's list members happy with our service. We look forward to many years of a working relationship and to have you be a part of out family.

09/22/2015

Yolanda L.

He was on time. He was efficient. I work from home and I didn't even know he was working. He cleaned his work area and checked to make sure that i was pleased with each site.

Description of Work
re-caulked one bathroom. caulked and fixed the grout in the other bathroom

09/19/2015

Lhatoya R.

Quick contact after deal purchased. Scheduling was a breeze. Courteous staff. Quality, professional work. Good job cleaning up afterwards.

Description of Work
Recaulked shower

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, home remodeling

07/01/2015

Jennifer L.

The provider forgot our first scheduled appointment and had to reschedule. He showed up on time to the rescheduled appointment. He did not greet me upon arrival. He took measurements and got the information he needed and promised a quote by Monday (this was on a Friday). It's been more than a week later and I have not heard anything back.

Description of Work
The provider came out to give a quote for turning an attached carport into a garage.

Category garage builders, home remodeling