American Plant

Founded 1923 • With Angi since November 2005

5272 River Rd Ste 550

Bethesda, MD 20816

American Plant’s Landscape Division specializes in creative solutions for all of your landscaping needs. We begin with a plan that meets your budget and lifestyle. The result is a vibrant garden with inviting and intimate entertainment spaces. Our talented design team and professional landscapers

01/13/2019

elliot P.

see above - great job that exceeded expectations.

Description of Work
I had landscaping done 5 years ago to get regrading, French drains etc to correct the water problem I had in the basement. American Plant did an amazing job - the landscaping made such a difference that it was featured in the Bethesda magazine. Over the past few years they replaced plants didn't make it and were covered by warranty, provided advice on how to deal with problems in the yard and provided suggestions when I needed to replace plants. A few months ago I saw a couple of blocks that had come loose on the back step they had put in. I called them and they came out. Even though it was a few months past the warranty on the overall job, they still honored the warranty, fixed the step and reinforced other areas on the stop. I appreciate their responsiveness and highly recommend them. I have had not water in my basement since they did the regrading and landscape.

Category landscaping, lawn service, masonry, mulch, tree service, drain pipe, hardscaping, patios

09/26/2017

Karen H.

Mike never showed up for our first 7am estimate appointment. When I called the office Mike said he had an emergency with a crew that morning and didn't have my phone number to inform me that he couldn't make it. So I decided to give him another chance. We setup another 7am appointment, which he was prompt to arrive for but never sent me an estimate. If a contractor doesn't want the job why don't they just say that up front?

Description of Work
A horizontal cedar fence.

Category patios

07/26/2017

Vikram N.

Good. Some plants did not thrive initially, but American Plant Food replaced them with alternatives.

Description of Work
Plantings as part of a landscaping project

03/10/2016

Tom H.

When they plant a tree, they show up on time and do it right. No mess, no fuss, no mistakes.

Description of Work
American Plant Food is my "go to" place for annuals, perinneals, mulch, shrubs, bushes, and garden supplies. Yes it is more expensive than Home Depot or Lowes. However, the quality and selection is unmatched, their personnel are knowledgable, friendly and helpful, and they replace items with no questions asked if they die. I have been going to them for years and endorse them mightily.

10/10/2015

Cynthia A.

Not service, just bought plants.

Description of Work
I bought plants

08/17/2015

Tanaz M.

What a great experience! We worked with Bassem at American Plant, who we can't recommend highly enough. He's a kind person who truly listens and his expertise in landscape architecture comes out at every point that he was explaining the process and options for us. We wanted our backyard to look young and modern, and Basem took that into consideration and met our expectations perfectly. We had a firm budget for our project and were disappointed by two other landscape architecture companies that we consulted with because they went way above our budget. Basem was able to put together a proposal that was not only within our budget but achieved many of the key goals we had for the space, including adding stone pathways and a stone wall. Basem was really trustworthy, too, and we never felt like we were being taken advantage of. The team from American Plant was extremely professional, reliable, and respectful of the space. They always arrived on time, completed the project as planned and within budget, and we felt like we really got a great combination of expertise and value. The consultation was not very expensive, around $100-$150, and that cost was credited toward our final project once we decided to go with them. Even better still, we got a rebate card in the mail worth $500 toward purchases at the American Plant stores, which I guess is a sort of dividend for working them. A nice added bonus.

Description of Work
Drew up plans for redesign of front and back-yard, including plantings, paved walkways, and drainage, and then performed the landscaping work.

Category landscaping, masonry

04/19/2015

Christine M.

The selection of plants is great and the employees were able to advise on what plants would work in our yard and identify existing plants in our yard so we could supplement.

Description of Work
Advised on plantings

11/08/2014

Keith W.

This place never disappoints, even this late in the season. I needed to replace some landscaping that my tenant seems to have removed or destroyed at my house. I am trying to get the place looking good enough to sell now. American Plant is the go-to place for a variety of plants, including good-sized shrubs and trees, including better-quality and harder-to-find varieties. I bought three lovely hydrangea shrubs, about 3' tall when in the ground, and really well matched, to fill in the foundation plantings in front of the house. Then I picked up a gorgeous larger Witch Hazel shrub that should be in full bloom very early in the Spring, around February or March, to look good right when the house will go on the market. That shrub was also 3-4 feet tall. How perfect is that? Finally, I picked up a few hellebores (in bloom!) to fill in a few more bare spots by a stone path. It all looks great. The plants all seem to be extremely healthy, which is amazing for this late in the season.

Description of Work
I bought landscape shrubs and perennials. Got advice from the staff.

Category landscaping, lawn service

04/15/2014

Mary Z.

Nothing special - it was simply that one of their professionals answered my questions re. deer eating all my plants, and which plants I could try that are deer-resistant.

Description of Work
Provided info re. deer-resistant plants.

02/01/2014

elliot P.

They were excellent. Suzy Altman, who led the project, was professional in her approach, and talented in her landscape design skills. The group worked together as a team, working efficiently, and always leaving everything neat at the end of the day. Joe Bob (I think, or maybe Jim Bob) was patient in explaining how what they were doing would prevent water. He also gave me suggestions on dealing with the rabbits and a squeaky door! Demetrius did much of the landscaping work and was careful and attentive to all the details that made it all come together. The patio was shaped with a curve that brought the yard together. Suzy was creative and thoughtful in the plants selected (knowing we weren't great gardeners - so low maintenance plants!) and the yard looks beautiful. She also selected native plants so we got a $2,500 rebate from the county. Also, when a couple of the plants died, American Plant came out the next week and replaced them. We will be using American Plant in the spring to get everything ready (and to make sure we only kill weeds.) And, the most important piece - after many rain storms (one more than 6 inches of rain) NO WATER IN THE BASEMENT! So we didn't have to go to one of the wet basement companies that drill holes in your inside walls etc. Needless to say, we were very pleased with the American Plant team. And, we just got a rebate check for $500 from American Plant based on what we spent. They were a little higher in cost than the other estimates, but then they ended up doing more in terms of building drainage, so it all worked out.

Description of Work
i was having water in my basement every time it rained. Someone suggested that I try landscaping rather than getting inside work done. American Plant analyzed the situation, including getting water tables from the county. They dug up the yard, build in drains underground and along the fence (where much of the water was coming in), and changed the location of the sump pump and dryer vent. They also designed a new backyard for me - landscaping and new patio design.

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, drain pipe

01/20/2014

Janice D.

As there was no portfolio to review of the particular landscape designer I spoke with, I didn't hire them. I would have had to pay a fee (that would have been refunded IF I hired them) just to get an appraisal, but if I can't even see examples of their work, I'm not interested. There are just too many other options out there where I get a free appraisal and I can see a portfolio.

Description of Work
I only had a phone conversation. I was hoping to get a free appraisal of a substantial amount of work that could be done in our yard. However, they don't offer that service and there was no portfolio for me to review.

12/22/2013

Dennis D.

Excellent selection. A hidden gem in the city.

Description of Work
Bought landscaping plants.

12/16/2013

Deborah W.

They always leave my home neat and clean. The work was done well. I definitely will call them again.

Description of Work
They cleaned my front and back yards, pruned, and made the yards attractive again in time for winter.

Category lawn service

08/16/2013

David N.

They were very good. They are very good efficient and on time.

Description of Work
We used American Plant about 2 weeks ago for landscaping.

07/31/2013

Sarah W.

I interviewed 6 designers, bought 2 plans, hired a 3rd firm to finalize and implement my favorite plan. 2nd choice could not do work for 4 months, American Plant took 3 weeks to get me in schedule, and finished work in 2 weeks as promised. Love the backyard.

Description of Work
This table presents calculations that are based on a number of assumptions made by the author and EPA data but are not EPA calculations or included in EPA cost analysis documents.

Category landscaping, lawn service, hardscaping

05/14/2013

Katrine S.

The crew, courteous and friendly, arrived on time. After speaking to me they got to work quickly and efficiently. At completion everything was cleaned up. I highly recommend them for any landscape or hardscape job.

Description of Work
Stone walk way installation, planting of perennials, transplanting, mulching , and pruning.

02/21/2013

Lawrence H.

It's an excellent place. They're helpful. They know what they are talking about.

Description of Work
I used American Plant.

01/03/2013

Jared G.

They made the process very fun and easy for us and worked within our budget. The follow up service was helpful and still is a year later.

Description of Work
American Plant created design suggestions with us, drew up the plans, as well as delivered and planted all of the trees and shrubs in our backyard.

12/29/2012

Mary E F.

Worked with Susy, who provided excellent advice and service.

Description of Work
Installed patio and improved existing landscaping

Category landscaping, hardscaping, patios

09/24/2012

Andrea H.

Our landscape designer Donna was wonderful. She really "got" what we wanted, offered us great choices, didn't rush us, did a lot to show us what dfferent options would look like (everything from detailed drawings from different angles to showing us actual plants at the nursery.) The landscaping looks wonderful and has been easy to maintain. We've gotten lots of compliments from passers-by. Highly recommended!

Description of Work
Full landscaping around house, privacy landscaping for back yard, re-sodding of lawn.

09/23/2012

Elizabeth T.

This question is not needed for my experience. I purchased plant material and planted the items myself. I was guided toward plants that would do well in my yard, given my sun exposure. I have always been pleased with this company.

Description of Work
Products are excellent. The staff is very knowledgeable. They guide me to plants that thrive in my environment. I purchased a tree from them and it did not thrive. No problem. They honored their guarantee, no questions asked! They are respectful and very patient. Their prices may appear to be a bit high, but the plant materials grow and thrive. This is very cost effective. I could pay less but then I would get plants that don't necessarily thrive. I just love this store!!!!!

Category greenhouses, hardscaping

08/07/2012

Dale K.

They were lovely. It was a small order for them. The lady I dealt with was delightful. She helped me pick the right kinds of things. They came when they were supposed to and it was what I ordered. The plants were fresh and lovely. It was very positive. They were knowledgeable about the plants. The quality of the plants stood out. I would use them again for the same thing.

Description of Work
I bought 15 ivy house plants from American Plant that I used as centerpieces.

04/30/2012

henry H.

They are on the expensive side but they do a good job. They do a good job in terms of mulching, cleanup, planting. They are reliable, very professional andprompt. They stay in touch with you and come when they say they would. They do good job and they know who to talk to for the job to be done.

Description of Work
I used American Plants for landscaping. They did spring cleaning the last time they came out.

Category landscaping, mulch

02/10/2012

Joan W.

They provide great advice on purchasing plants! Great service overall!

Description of Work
I purchased plants here.

10/18/2011

Elizabeth K.

Our experience with them was good. We bought the shrubs at their location, a gardening store and then they set up a time to plant them. Their work crew was pretty efficient and we had a good experience with them. One of the shrubs has subsequently faltered and we haven’t done anything about it yet but if it ends up dying we would give them a call and see what they do for us. We would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
We used American Plant to plant two small shrubs for us.

Yard Enhancement Services LLC

Locally owned and operated full-service landscaping company

Metro Drainage Pros LLP

Metro Drainage Pros is a licensed & insured company that specializes in exterior storm water management and drainage issues. At Metro Drainage Pro's, LLP, we offer a team of highly trained professionals who all have a vast amount of experience in storm water management. We are a fully licensed and insured company, and we strive to bring our customers the best possible solutions, tailored to fit their needs. There is no job that is too big or complicated, and with over 30 years of extensive experience, our professional trained employees are fully capable of handling the most demanding of projects. So don't let your drainage get you any longer. Let the Metro Drainage Pro's, LLP team identify the source of the problem so we can provide you with long lasting results.

Exterior Medics

Exterior Medics is a premier home remodeling company, specializing in exterior replacement and repairs for both commercial and residential properties. When it comes to service and execution, we are unmatched. We've earned the Angie's List Super Service Award for 8 consecutive years, and are among just 2% of contractors nationwide to earn the GAF Master Elite status. Our team handles every project with utmost care and a laser-focused attention to detail. We consider every home we touch to be a reflection of our high standards, and treat every homeowner like a beloved member of our own family. Bonded and well insured. Licensed in both Maryland and Virginia.

Award 2022
    Offers by Exterior Medics on Angi
    American Express, Check, Discover, MasterCard, Visa

Landscaping. Custom designed plant installations. Plantings. Patios. Ponds. Waterfalls. Walkways. Retaining walls. Rain gardens. Drainage. Grading. Cleanups. Garden center & nursery.

Lawn Irrigation and Lighting (subs used)