American Deck & Patio

Founded 1989 • With Angi since November 2009

We design and build custom outdoor living spaces in natural wood, low maintenance materials, natural stone, and concrete pavers. We're fully licensed and insured. We have been in business since 1989 and have thousands of satisfied customers throughout the DC Metro Area. We are A+ Rated with the BBB and have won Angie's List Super Service Award for 6 years in a row. We do not offer staining, sealing, and cleaning services....

Low maintenance deck & patio

+29 more images

decks & porches (191)Patios (52)hardscaping (27)patio enclosures (15)woodworking (15)deck cleaning (15)screen repair (14)lighting (12)general contractors (12)concrete repair (10)stone & gravel (8)fence company (8)

03/25/2022

Jess S.

Sean and his team rebuilt our deck with recycled flooring (vs. the wood that was falling apart), built a beautiful stone patio, built a wood shed, and built a fence around the patio. We couldn't be happier! It's beautiful. Happy to share our experience or photos!

Description of Work
Re-built the deck and installed a stone patio

Category decks, fencing, masonry, pavers, gravel, deck cleaning, woodworking

Work Completed On 03/01/2021

Review for American Deck & Patio - 10319 Westlake Dr, Bethesda, MD - 39673304

03/03/2022

Gregory P.

Dave Lombardo and Bill Hensley from American Deck and Patio did an amazing job designing, planning, and building our new deck, outdoor shower, and privacy walls. We received Dave’s information from our friends who used American Deck and Patio for their new deck and screened-in room so we knew that his company did great work. I first spoke with Dave over the phone and we went over my project needs and estimated the materials and cost to see if that was within my budget, which I thought was prudent to ensure neither of us would be wasting our time. His costs were very competitive and cheaper than some other quote I had received for the deck. Soon after our phone call Dave came to our house and designed our deck right on the spot, which was impressive to see him knock it out so quickly. We quickly saw his expertise and experience firsthand. While on site he helped explain the process, answered all questions we had, and we went over the details of the project. We had to wait on materials because we went with a cable railing system, which was no fault of American Deck. Luckily for us the materials came in on time and once the project started it was smooth sailing. Bill Hensley was our deck builder and we couldn’t have been happier with the quality of his craftsmanship and his professionalism. He showed up everyday (even one day it snowed) and kept a very clean work space, which was much appreciated because we had just spent a lot of money to upgrade our patio. Bill answered any and all of our questions and made sure to double check with us if he had any questions prior to progressing. We couldn’t be happier with American Deck from start to finish. They completed the job exactly how it was discussed and completed on the timeline we had planned. I would highly recommend them to any family, friend, or stranger! American Deck and Patio completed all of the deck, privacy walls, outdoor shower, and the wall in between the gazebo. The patio was completed by Horizon Outdoor Design.

Description of Work
Built Deck, Privacy Walls and Outdoor Shower

Category decks, fencing

Work Completed On 03/03/2022

Review for American Deck & Patio - 10319 Westlake Dr, Bethesda, MD - 39647486

01/21/2022

Jamie P.

Knowledgable and easy to talk to. Workers on-site were skilled, open to taking questions, and attentive to detail. Excellent quality, good value, a definite hire again..

Description of Work
New deck, staircase and railing

Work Completed On 01/21/2022

06/16/2021

matthew K.

Having any work done during a pandemic can be a challenge, but working with Sean and his team was great. We had 4 estimates to replace a 36 year old deck with a composite deck. American Deck and Patio gave us a very detailed proposal with many options which helped us get to the amount we budgeted for the project. A couple of little hiccups were solved quickly and Sean answered any questions promptly. We love our new deck and look forward to enjoying it this summer.

Description of Work
Needed to replace an aging wood deck.

Work Completed On 06/16/2021

04/13/2021

Paul B.

If you want a deck, this is the place to go. Most people who hire a contractor probably expect to have some kind of problem. The job takes longer than expected, the contractor hides things or swaps out materials for cheaper stuff, the workers are problematic or leave a mess. Sean and his team are the exact opposite of that in every way. They were communicative from the very start. They gave us a great idea of what to expect and a fair price based on what others were offering. He gave an estimated timeline and stuck with it. When we hit a small snag getting some paperwork needed for the permit, they quickly took care of that and didn't fall off schedule. Their work crew was fast, professional, respectful, and cleaned up fully. When we encountered a challenge figuring how to handle the landing from the staircase, given the shape of our land, they devised a creative and attractive solution. They put back all the materials around our house as they found them, and even custom-cut our ground level pavers to fit around their installation work. They did the same with our existing drainpipes. They were artists, craftsmen, gentlemen. And they left us a beautiful deck. Thanks, Sean, and your entire team

Description of Work
Construction of deck on the back of our house, one floor above ground level.

Category decks, gutter repair

Work Completed On 04/03/2021

Review for American Deck & Patio - 10319 Westlake Dr, Bethesda, MD - 39291236

03/28/2021

Jing Z.

The company was recommended in Angie's List search. I contacted the company three times. Each time was was gave detailed information of what service I was looking for: estimate for deck, patio and concrete steps repair, location of the property and size of the project. Each time I was told Sean or another designer would call me back to schedule an appointment. Nothing happened over the past three weeks. I understand a small business can be too busy to do estimates. But if that is the case, the company should be upfront about it.

Description of Work
Unprofessional

Work Completed On 03/04/2021

03/23/2021

MARIA M.

Excellent! We could not be happier with the work that Sean and his team did for us. They built us a beautiful screened-in porch (on a new deck), from soup to nuts, with everything we needed. The work product and attention to detail could not be beat. I can't say enough about how positive the experience was, from beginning to end. Sean was able to work with us in our budget, and find innovative and cost-effective solutions along the way when we had to make some adjustments to the project. He made solid recommendations for where our money was best spent and where we could find some savings, which we really appreciated - and his judgment was spot-on. His team (project manager Jaime) were professional, courteous, respectful of our neighbors, and careful to clean up and leave the site in good shape. They started the project even before anticipated and the actual construction time on site was very fast and ahead of schedule. This past year in particular, I know they've been in great demand -particularly with word of mouth and when neighbors see the work they do - and we're so glad we persisted, absolutely worth a short wait to get the best. Sean told us exactly where we were in the queue and they found a way to get started early - and as busy as they are, he always answered our calls and/or returned our calls immediately. We also particularly appreciated the benefit of his experience - he's extremely knowledgeable about options for different materials and manufacturers, and has great relationships with suppliers that he's able to draw upon, even while other contractors have to wait on materials during the pandemic construction boom. This made the project move very fast. We also appreciated the attention to small details that made the end product even better - things other contractors we spoke with hadn't thought of (e.g., a "beverage railing cap" to put your drink on; adding a mechanism to the door to our under-decking storage so no on accidentally locks themselves in; etc.). The whole experience was very positive, and we LOVE our new porch. Everyone who's seen it has been so impressed - including friends with construction knowledge - telling us what a quality job they did. Can't recommend them enough!

Description of Work
Building a new deck and 12X16 screened-in porch, plus stairs.

Category contractors, decks, gutter repair, skylights

Work Completed On 12/01/2020

02/21/2021

Jen B.

This the second time we’ve chosen Sean and his team to complete a project. Our first project in 2013 was a very large screened porch to enclose an endless pool. We were extremely happy with the end result. The project was completed on time, within budget, and with gorgeous finishes. This second smaller project was to install a handrail outside of our front door. Sean was able to fit us in between larger projects and once again it was done very well. Again on time and within budget. The handrail looks good, fitting in with our home, and is solid as a rock. Just in time for winter weather we can now navigate our step with confidence and safety. Sean is very kind and easy to work with. He is thoughtful in both design, utility considerations, and budget. We will use him for future projects and recommend him to anyone.

Description of Work
Front door railing

Work Completed On 02/09/2021

Thanks so much!! We love returning customers and will do what we can to see we can service them. And while it was a smaller job for us to take on, it was early in the year before we got booked out by months. It's much easier to take on smaller jobs like this before our crews are inundated with larger and more comprehensive projects. Thanks for the kind words! Sean Conway, owner

01/26/2021

Nicole H.

Mia was professional, gracious, and insightful during our initial conversation of my screen porch. She took time to ask and answer questions to guide the design process. I hope to work with this company in the future !

Description of Work
Screen porch

Work Completed On 01/26/2021

Thank you for your kind words. We hope we can be of further service. We do our best as a family owned and operated business. (I may be a little too generous since Mia is my wife....but I think she does an awesome job too!). Sean Conway, owner (ahem, part-owner)

10/21/2020

carlos C.

Excellent, Company need a great job and they were very professional

Description of Work
Deck replacement

Work Completed On 10/20/2020

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for your continued business. We had the opportunity to work on building a deck for [Member Name Removed]'s son almost fifteen years ago. His son referred us to [Member Name Removed] and he hired us to build a pergola on his existing deck. This past year [Member Name Removed] and his wife reached back out to us again. And they decided to upgrade the old wood flooring to a new 30-year manufacturer warranty TimberTech PVC-capped composite product. The deck turned out great. We're very appreciative that we have been able to help the Castrillion family out over the years on their multiple projects. We're extremely thankful we are so fortunate to get many, many returning customers over the years. Sean Conway, owner

10/21/2020

Ken H.

Sean and company were wonderful to work with. The final project came out even better than expected. They delivered as promised and I would highly recommend them for other deck and patio work.

Description of Work
Under Deck

Work Completed On 10/16/2020

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for your kind words. Your deck was a perfect fit for a retrofit under-deck water-diversion ceiling system. The job went smoothly and Jaime, my experienced foreman who is now entering his 11th year with our company, really knows how to work with these systems (again, when the deck that is there has the 'bones' for this conversion/retrofit approach). We appreciate working with you and hope the new space brings you many years of enjoyment. Sean Conway, owner

08/27/2020

Daniel W.

I contacted Sean about my front-walkway following a recommendation by a friend. Boy am I glad I did! I found Sean to be responsive, helpful, and honest. Sean worked with me to find the right approach and kept in touch with me about what was going on. His estimate was consistent with other's I'd received but his companies' service went above. Sean's team fit my work in between larger jobs and were very responsive when I had questions or concerns. My new walkway looks great. I found I had to do a lot less chasing than I am used to with contractors. I greatly recommend American Deck and Patio!

Description of Work
Front walkway replaced

Category hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/24/2020

Review for American Deck & Patio - 10319 Westlake Dr, Bethesda, MD - 38832215

Thank you for considering and choosing our services. Every project we do, no matter how large or small, is important to us. We want to see we deliver quality that will last. Sometimes there are "hiccups" that come up on construction projects. It has to be expected. When it happens, we just work through them....much like we all do in life or our work. But it sure is nice when a project moves along without a hitch! Thanks again for choosing our services and I hope you enjoy the project for many, many years.

06/15/2020

linda P.

They did not respond at all. Did not call me back. I never got a respond.

Description of Work
To replace a retaining wall.

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 06/15/2020

As a smaller, family owned and operated company, we can get inundated with inquiries regarding our services. Often during the busy spring and summer seasons the amount of calls can overwhelm our capacity to get back in touch with folks. Sometimes folks can 'fall through the cracks'. We're appreciative of those that understand we may slip up and miss a call-in from time to time. Thankfully, most folks will call back a second time if the first time leads to no response....or they may move on to a company that did call them back. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope this person found someone to help them out.

03/13/2020

David B.

I recently submitted a request for quote via Angie's list to Amdeck for a deck replacement. I did not hear back from Amdeck via Angie's list (and still haven't) so I went direct through their website to request a quote. Days went by with no response, so I called their 1800 number and talked to a messaging service person who took my info and said someone would call me shortly. Never received a call. A couple days later I got a response to my Request for Quote via their website and the response was "Thank you for contacting us regarding your upcoming outdoor project. Unfortunately, we are not adding any additional rooftop deck projects to our portfolio this season. I am sorry we are unable to assist you. We do appreciate you considering our firm and wish you the best with your project this Spring." I had not specified a time frame on my request, so I followed up asking when they would be adding projects again because I am not in a hurry and you guessed it, I never got a response. I am not sure if there is another reason they don't want my business but this is very disappointing treatment. Makes no sense to me to dismissively turn away potential business.

Description of Work
Roof deck replacement

Work Completed On 03/13/2020

We did respond. We responded that we no longer focus on roof top deck projects. It's a service that we choose to no longer offer....which was communicated to this person. And since we're a smaller, boutique firm that receives an extremely large amount of inquiries for our services, we may take a number of days to get back to folks- especially those who request services we don't offer, or no longer offer.

Ben R.

Sean and Mike with American Deck and Patio have been a joy to work with so far. They built a beautiful patio in the rear area of my house and are working to complete a deck rebuild. They have been easy to work with and very responsive throughout the planning and building process and I would absolutely recommend American Deck and Patio to anyone planning a similar project in the Washington, DC area.

Description of Work
Build a patio and deck

Category patios

Work Completed On 10/01/2019

This was another DC row home makeover project that we have taken on. We do a lot of these and every...single...one brings it's own unique challenges. A double-decker deck we refurbished and upgraded to composite decking and PVC rails. We screened in the lower level deck and added a roofing membrane system to create a dry outdoor porch area. The entire lower yard was transformed from old broken and cracked concrete to a brand new premium concrete paver from EP Henry. This project was a lot of work where we were on the project for a good six weeks in the transformation process. All in all, it went really well and the end result is a project the homeowners will enjoy for years. They have a back yard outdoor living space that they can now use on three levels- the upper level deck off the master bedroom, the porch makeover off the main floor and the large patio area in the backyard. Sean Conway, owner

Louvel F.

Project was completed on time and on budget- very professional and took the time to communicate at every stage of the project

Description of Work
Rebuild porches

Work Completed On 08/15/2019

We thank you for choosing our services. This project was a makeover project for a four-unit apartment complex. We had to remove and reframe the old porch walls, custom framed screens, and new storm doors. We dug up an old concrete walkway in the rear of the property and replaced it with a new, level flagstone veneered walkway. The entire front walkway was also patched and repaired and veneered with flagstone. Lastly, an unsafe and out-of-code stair system leading to the upstairs units was refurbished and repaired and brought up to current code. This project turned out great and ensured the units were safe and secure for the tenants. A good long-term investment for the property owner as well. It was a nice project with a lot going on and it went really well. We're happy to have helped out and appreciate their trust in our services.

Jill M.

Because we were so delighted by American Deck and Patio when they built our screened porch, we called them to replace our deck. Jamie Hernandez is a wonderful builder and flexible to our wishes. The company is timely, efficient and does excellent, solid work. They clean up and are very pleasant to work with. Highly recommended!

Description of Work
Deck replacement and porch construction

Work Completed On 10/30/2019

We thank you for choosing our services again. The porch project we did a number of years ago turned out to be a great addition to your home. And calling us back to upgrade the deck to low maintenance materials was a great way to complete the backyard makeover. We appreciate the opportunity to work with clients a second, and even third time. It's a testament to our crews who have been working with us for many years- two foreman going on a decade or longer. We are a smaller company but we have been around a long time due to the employees at American Deck and Patio- our family...but also the crews who are families- brothers, cousins, sons and uncles. A true family affair at American Deck and Patio.

10/30/2019

Mary Jane M.

Very smoothly. Sean and his staff were extremely professional. They showed up when they said they would and the work was completed in a timely manner. They made excellent suggestions along the way and the results were beautiful. After some friends visited and saw the new deck, they chose Sean to do work on their deck and patio.

Description of Work
Tear down old deck and build screened in deck

Work Completed On 02/25/2019

Thank you for your kind words and choosing our services. Your porch project turned out great. It was really a nice addition to your home and I know your family gatherings will be enjoyable in the new space. We're also very happy to have received the referral and to be able to help out that family as well. All of us at American Deck and Patio work hard to ensure our clients get a nice project- well managed and well built. We hope you enjoy the porch for many, many years. Sean Conway, owner

10/29/2019

Jon B.

I got estimates to replace the decking on our existing wood deck from three Angie's List Super Service Award winners. Frankly, I was impressed by all of them but Sean from American Deck & Patio really stood out. When he inspected my deck, he talked me through all the things he looks for when considering work on an older deck. He listened to what I wanted and discussed my options in a very straightforward and down-to-earth way. There was no pressure to choose one material or option over another, just the pros and cons of each one. I left that meeting with complete confidence that if I selected Sean and his team, they would do a great job. I accepted Sean's very competitive price and he and Mia kept me completely informed about every step as the job was scheduled and completed. His team was great, too. They got the job done a day early and his foreman even waited for me to get home one day to make sure my hot tub was positioned exactly right—he even helped me reconnect the wiring—something I had not asked for or expected him to do. As expected, the work was excellent. My new Trex decking looks fantastic. I could not be happier with both the end result and the way the entire project was carried out. I highly recommend American Deck & Patio and would use them again with complete confidence.

Description of Work
Replace the decking and stairs on our existing wood deck

Work Completed On 10/28/2019

Many, many thanks for your kind words. We enjoyed working with you as well. The client's can make or break a great process from start to finish and we appreciated the symbiotic relationship we formed with you while working on your new low maintenance deck. Jaime, our foreman who has been with us for 11 years always does a great job.....but I know he enjoyed working on your deck project due to how he was treated. Thanks for choosing our services and we know the deck will bring years of enjoyment. Sean Conway, owner

10/14/2019

Leslie S.

Excellent. Sean and his team did a terrific, efficient job. We had expected to use composite materials, and Sean was thorough in explaining all the options and advantages of composite decking. In the end, because of regulations in our homeowners' association, we decided to stick with pressure-treated wood, a less expensive option. Sean could not have been nicer, despite spending so much time discussing composite decking with us. His team installed our new decks (one large, one small) and they look fantastic. Everyone was professional, from beginning to end. We highly recommend!

Description of Work
Two decks replaced; front walk repaired

Category decks, hardscaping

Work Completed On 09/18/2019

Thank you for your kind words. We are happy we could work with you and your HOA. We had been in that community prior so we were well aware of the HOA standards. The project turned out very nicely and went smoothly.

10/08/2019

Victor G.

The project was started and completed within the estimated time frame. Sean Conway kept us abreast of next steps in the project and offered helpful suggestions. He was professional and courteous. It was great to work with American Deck & Patio. Review by Victor and Elsie G.

Description of Work
Removed and hauled away existing rear porch and the landing and steps at rear of house. Area was prepped for a new 6' x 13' low maintenance screen porch and a new landing and steps.

Category decks, sunrooms

Work Completed On 08/26/2019

Thank you for choosing our services. The porch project went without a hitch. It was a very nice addition makeover from what had been there. We know your family will enjoy the new space for many, many years.

09/11/2019

Terrence F.

Very well. We went with a revised foot print for our patio based on recommendations from owner Sean Conway. While it added to the cost, the end product was worth it. Lenny and his crew worked very hard to ensure a quality product and did an excellent job. They even adjusted the gate on my fence that wasn't closing correctly.

Description of Work
Install patio with fire pit and attached walkway

Category patios