AJ Michaels

Maryland: General

4512 York Rd

Baltimore, MD 21212

www.ajmichaels.com

A.J. Michaels Company is a family owned and operated business established in 1978. We have been providing top quality service to the Baltimore and Annapolis areas for years. We are an exceptional team of trained certified professionals who work to service our clients with quality and satisfaction. We provide maintenance and repair of air conditioning, heating, plumbing and electrical systems. We are not a retail shop; we are a service-oriented business. Part of our business is problem solving, we employ logical processes that lead to successful solutions. Whether you are looking for plumbing, heating/cooling or electrical experts, we are your dependable source. Certified in industry leading product manufacturers such as Carrier, Daikin and Kohler we are dedicated to providing you with absolute exceptional service. We offer prompt, courteous same day service. We offer evening and weekend service at no additional charge. Additional DBAs - A.J. Michaels Plumbing and Heating, Michaels A.J. Co Inc, The Michaels Company. Additional phone - (410) 573-5858. Additional contact names - Michael J. Giangrandi, James Blake. Additional Email - info@ajmichaels.com....

4.2

4.4

HVAC Companies (95)plumbers (48)water heaters (15)drain cleaning (7)home energy audit (2)home remodeling (1)electrician (4)air duct cleaning (3)

11/18/2019

Joseph R. P.

I have been dealing with them for 5 years already, they installed my furnace and they have been coming back for a regual check and maintenance 2x a year, I am fully satisfied with their service.

Description of Work
Regular Check and maintenance of my furnace

Work Completed On 11/18/2019

Thank you very much for you review. We appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to continue to provide you with service.

05/30/2018

Donna L.

Danny diagnosed quickly and found the capacitor wasn't functioning in our heat pump,; hence, why the A/C was not working for our second floor unit. He originally said it was a $225 part but unfortunately discovered it was $325....didn't like that but Danny was very professional and thorough with his work. I asked him many questions; and he answered all of them. I would highly recommend AJ Michaels, and especially would recommend Danny to troubleshoot any problems you have. He was efficient, knowledgeable, and very competent!

Description of Work
A?C repair

Work Completed On 05/30/2018

Thank you very much for the review of your heat piump/AC diagnosis and fix. Stay cool and take care.

01/12/2018

Jaime L.

Service was beyond prompt! Chris Darr came out almost immediately to do our estimate. He was thorough, and listened to our concerns. Beyond that, he was kind, personable, and very easy to talk to! The service ended up being sooner than we'd expected - which was great! The two men that came to perform our needed work were also exceptionally friendly. Those two went above and beyond to get our washer/dryer to code and hooked up. I hope this review is relayed to all involved with our job. I cannot say enough good things! Thank you!! There were a few hiccups (not their fault - our home wasn't built for newer washer/dryers) - they remedied quickly and were able to perform the job requested!

Description of Work
Getting new washer/dryer installed to code, replacing washer box in wall

Category plumbing

Work Completed On 01/12/2018

Awesome feedback. Thank you very much and we're so happy that you're happy with our work. Take care.

01/10/2018

Beth B.

Not well. We never received our rebate because we were waiting on some type of customer service. We were told we would maybe get a gift card, no show. I have had many repairs and upgrades to my home and I have never had this type of response. Buyer beware.

Description of Work
We hired this company for attic insulation and duct sealing for two homes. While the men working were fine, no one spoke english. During the second house upgrades, the second crew did not show up until 5 hours after the 1st one was finished. It was cold. No one spoke english. AJ Michaels would not take responsibility for it because it was their sub contractors problem. Unbelievable. It didn't matter who I talked to, no response. They showed up at 6pm in the dark and kept our doors open for 3 hours.

Category energy audit

Work Completed On 11/16/2016

Thank you for your feedback, and we apologize for your less than satisfactory experience. We have checked with ICF, who administers the home performance rebate program ,and your rebate was processed and sent December 15, 2016. We communicated your concerns regarding the insulation subcontractors to their manager at the time you let us know. They were unaware of any issues you had at the time, which was unfortunate as they could have resolved any issues immediately had they known. Regardless, this type of feedback is helpful for quality control. We're looking into the gift card. There was a long delay in receiving final payment from you, which could result in gift cards being delayed, or in some instances being missed, for mailing.

11/20/2017

L C M.

They were able to get an estimator to me the same day I called, repair was put on their schedule right away. Plumbers arrived on time, completed the repair/replacement the same day.

Description of Work
Leaking galvanized cross pipes located in basement needed to be replaced.

Category plumbing

Work Completed On 10/25/2017

Thank you very much for the kind review of the recent piping replacement we performed for you. Your complete satisfaction is our priority, and we hope to continue to provide services for any additional work you may have in the future. Take care.

09/07/2017

Mary L.

Not well. The guy that gave the estimate did not look at the current covers and did not go into the attic to determine if there was enough tubing to make a connection for a new location. The price was too much to move the outlet so I ordered the plate covers only. The guy ordered the wrong vent covers which wasted my time and the workers". Another week or two went by and the right covers were installed The workers did a nice job and cleaned the ceilings (not the floors).

Description of Work
I hired for new SpacePak covers and to move one outlet.

Work Completed On 05/02/2017

Thank you for your review.

08/17/2017

Neville F.

I just knew about them; I don't know how. Then, I contacted them. I liked the guy who came out. We just had a really good chat. He was very kind too.

Description of Work
They had to replace the cooling agent and the compressor.

Work Completed On 08/17/2014

Thank you for your review.

08/02/2017

Diane F.

performed work which part of which was covered by warranty. had to come back after ordering a part. follow up work also done until properly fixed. one negative was having to pay for follow up service calls.

Description of Work
Checked air conditioning unit as not cooling down

Work Completed On 08/02/2017

Thank you for your review of recent air conditioning work.

07/28/2017

Travis S.

I wouldn't even give this company one star. If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to run in the other direction. Seriously, use anyone other than this HORRIBLE COMPANY. We were given terrible advice by an A.J Michaels contractor, who told us not to put a filter in our HVAC unit, which resulted in hundreds of dollars in extra work. He wrote on the ticket that he told us to replace the filter ourselves, but what he actually told my husband was to leave the filter out because it was causing it to blow warm air. We were not aware that this was horrible advice until our HVAC system stated acting funny again and a reputable contractor told us it was because there was no filter. When I called to tell AJ Michaels that one of their contractors was giving out horrible advice, I spoke with an incredibly rude and hostile man who happens to be the president Jim Blake. I was literally dumbfounded as he proceeded to yell over me, blaming my husband for the issue, saying we were told to replace the filter ourselves, and asking me why I paid for the service in the first place. To be honest, I didn't expect AJ Michaels to cover the repair cost because no company wants to admit that they were called to fix something and made it worse. What shocked me was that the president Jim Blake spoke to me the way he did and accused my husband of lying about what a contractor told him. I'm literally dumbfounded by the way he treats customers. I will NEVER use this company again and after speaking with several other reputable HVAC companies, I've learned that AJ Michaels already has a terrible reputation in the business. Save yourself some time and money, call someone else.

Description of Work
Repair an AC system blowing warm air

Work Completed On 07/28/2017

Thank you for your input and opinion on this matter Ms. [Member Name Removed]. Your recount of our service to your Rheem unit more than two years ago differs from our technician's ticket which indicates the unit was low on refrigerant, to which we added 1 lb, and that the "customer to replace" the clogged air filter we removed. We also identified a problem with the thermostat, but again were told "customer said he would replace (per father.)" We flushed the drain and checked the pan switch, all within an hour and 15 minutes. You were provided a copy of the ticket, however if you would like another copy provided we would be happy to do so. A.J. Michaels has been in business since 1978 and has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. While we are not perfect, we do strive for customer satisfaction and are more than willing to rectify a problem when presented fair, accurately and timely.

07/22/2017

Jo Ann B.

They did a great job on the new furnace. They did an excellent job however, they had to contract a chimney company to put in the chimney liner, and a cap on the top of the chimney, and I thought we had talked about that prior to the contract, but when it came down time to do it, the company that they had contracted came to install the chimney liner, and the cap, but they did not want to fix the brick work that I wanted included in the deal. I mean, I was willing to pay the extra money, but they just had no plans on doing it. So, I just told them to stop, and they found another company. They did an awful job of the brick work, and AJ Michaels was no help. They just wanted their money. They didn't help me negotiate with this guy at all, and he did an awful job. The cost included the chimney work. I’d give the guy who installed the furnace an A, but when it came to people they sub contracted with they just didn’t negotiate for me. They just didn’t stand behind their word, and it just ended up costing me an extra $1,000, and the work he did, he wanted $2,000, but I told him I wasn’t paying it. I live in a townhouse, and my chimney is connected to my neighbors, and he wanted to do the whole thing. I knew my neighbor wasn’t going to pay, so he did my half, which I did agree to. The company that was sub contracted with AJ Michaels, and he used the existing brick, but I didn’t know the bricks were all broken up, and he wasn’t going to get the old mortar off. He just stuck them up there any kind of way. It looked a mess, and I wasn’t happy with them, and I called them back. Finally, their owner came out, and he said he didn’t see anything wrong with it. So, after that I said well, if he doesn’t see anything wrong with it, then I’m fighting a hopeless battle. I thought they would to come in, supposed to come in and recommend to you what they can could do, or what they think is best. I mean he could have come in, and said some of the bricks may be broken. So, what do you want us to do if they are? I mean bricks don’t cost that much. I would have said get some new bricks, but no they took the ones all chipped up, broken up, ones with the mortar all stuck on them. It was all lop sided. I did make him come back, and straighten up the chimney cap, because he had it lop sided. It was just a mess. I got a couple of prices. It was average. Everyone was going about the same. Give or take a few hundred. Again, the furnace work is great. I would give the guy who installed the furnace an A, he was excellent, but then when it came to the chimney company that they sub-contracted with he came in he put the vent going from the furnace to the chimney liner on upside down, and I had an inspector come in. The inspector said that wasn’t going to pass. So, they had to come back in, and reinstall it. So, it just kind of made the whole deal a little sour. I felt AJ Michaels could have been more supportive with the chimney work, and referred me to that, well we have another guy that’s going to do it, and he does a great job. He did my chimney at my house, and I wanted to say I wonder what yours looks like, because it was a mess, and they didn’t even care. They didn't come out, and say these guys are working for us, we like this. They never came back. After he got his money, they just went on about their business, but that guy who put the furnace, and water heater in, he was just excellent. It was actually pretty. I wouldn’t use them again in the future. If I could get that man to install something, sure, but overall company wise, they left me hanging, brought that shoddy guy in here.

Description of Work
I had a new furnace installed. I converted from oil to gas, and they put in a hot water heater. I didn’t have a hot water heater at all, so they had to run pipes for the hot water heater, and the gas furnace. They had to remove the old one.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac,water heater repair

Work Completed On 12/22/2015

Residential & commercial air conditioning-maintenance, repair & installation. Heating. Plumbing. Electrical systems. Home performance. Duct sealing. Bathroom remodeling.

Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Check, Financing Available