JP O'Brien Electric LLP

Massachusetts
Massachusetts: General

12 Oakwood Rd

Wilmington, MA 01887

We are taking additional precautions to protect our customers.

Since 2004, we have established the most reliable and trusted service around. We do the job right the first time and will not take short cuts to get a project done faster or cheaper. We do the work the way we would want it done in our own homes! It is of the utmost importance to us to be there for our customers when needed, whether it be nights, weekends, rain or shine, no matter how big or small the job. We are fully licensed and insured. Licenses & Affiliations: MA Journeyman License #50824 MA Masters License #20729 BBB - Better Business Bureau...

electrician (327)lighting (57)ceiling fan installation (10)home security systems (8)HVAC Companies (7)generator service (5)home inspection (5)pool cleaning (2)landscape lighting (1)computer repair (1)water heaters (1)fence company (1)

01/30/2022

David D.

Punctual, polite, good suggestions, worked very hard to snake in new wiring, did a great job over 4 days rewiring the whole house except kitchen which was modern. Replaced and added dozens of outlets and fixtures in basement and 3 living floors, new elect heat in one room, removed old wiring and cleaned up afterwards. Work was done October 2021, no problems at all in the 3 months since then. Joe and Dave are highly recommended.

Description of Work
Extensive rewiring of old knob and post wiring over 4 levels of house dating from 1800 in Salem, M Extensive re-wiring of vintage 1800 house in Salem, MA to remove knob and post wiring and replace with modern wiring.

Work Completed On 10/21/2021

12/02/2021

Steven S.

JP O'BRIEN where on time. Immediately began working on the project. The crew was very professional. Answered all our questions on this job and future jobs. Tarps were used on the floor and furniture, until work was complete. Clean up after the work was completed. Very happy with the work. Highly recommend JP O'BRIEN.

Description of Work
Add to new electrical outlets

Work Completed On 12/02/2021

04/07/2021

David D.

Initial call returned same day by Dave, came quickly for estimate, scheduled work, came with 2 assistants, did all work nicely, cleaned up, I'm very satisfied. Nice people to work with.

Description of Work
8 fixtures, 8 dimmers, doorbell system, thermostat for boiler and a/c, circuit breakers

Work Completed On 03/29/2021

02/09/2021

Peter D.

Could not be happier with Joe, Rob, and Jose. Start to finish, this was the one of the best contractor experiences I've ever had. Joe was responsive and clear in discussing the work plan, quick to provide a proposal and schedule the work. Rob and Jose were on time, neat, and professional. They worked with me to clearly describe options when unexpected challenges arose in fishing new wires, and asked for my input whenever decisions needed to be made. The final result is even better than I expected. To top it off, my boiler had an electrical failure after Rob had left (which was unrelated to the work they had completed), and Rob drove back to my house, diagnosed the issue, and repaired it so I wouldn't be without heat for the night. Above and beyond.

Description of Work
Installation of several new lights

Work Completed On 02/09/2021

01/06/2021

Gregory C.

My first experience with JP O'Brien Electric was for a generator install that they did for me in 2018. Joe and Dave were very prompt and professional and they explained everything that needed to be done to prepare. They took care of all of the permitting and walked me through the process every step of the way. I appreciated the fact that they shared their knowledge with me and their willingness to bear with a relatively new homeowner with many questions about having this big piece of equipment installed. Joe and his team also introduced me to a company that would maintain my generator to keep it in good running condition year over year. The install was very neat and tidy. I am very pleased with their work and would recommend them to anyone seeking a quality electrician. His prices were reasonable as well. I have since called them for advice on other matters that I found in my house, and recently had them out to certify that my recessed lights were insulation contact rated. As always they were prompt, professional and courteous. I highly recommend JP O'Brien Electric.

Description of Work
Generator Installation (Featured Picture) & Inspection of Lighting for MassSave incentives

Category electrician, lighting, generator service

Work Completed On 01/02/2021

10/28/2020

Lee N.

Joe is responsive, smart, respectful, totally competent and does a brilliant job. Explained everything and cleaned up perfectly. I could not give an electrician a higher rating. I have been a home owner for 43 years, he is the best electrician.

Description of Work
generator connection to electric panel

Category generator service

Work Completed On 10/28/2020

07/29/2020

Jen P.

Condo had flickering lights, half of the breakers had too little power, and the main circuit breaker only had 208 volts (instead of 230-240). JP O'Brien Electric called me back promptly day of my request and was extremely knowledgeable of my wonky system from the '80s that is no longer manufactured. He was able to quickly identify the issue and I was super impressed with his integrity. When getting a quote from another electrician, I had been convinced that I needed a whole new panel, instead JP O'Brien Electric informed me that I only needed to update a single 50 amp breaker. I would highly recommend their services! Its great to have power/AC back so quickly on such a hot summer week.

Description of Work
Solved Electrical Mystery

Work Completed On 07/29/2020

04/04/2020

paul M.

when we purchased our home it needed a lot of electrical work, lighting upgrades, and a generator hookup. Joe was able to address all of our needs as well as provide us with consultations for future projects. he is always prompt and offers reasonable pricing. he is a pleasure to work with. highly recommend.

Description of Work
generator outlet hookup, 5 ceiling light installs, repair multiple outlets, switches, repair wiring, driveway motion light install

Work Completed On 04/04/2020

04/01/2020

Jeremy H.

JP O'Brien did a fantastic job on converting 3 rooms in our home from having the light switches control outlets for lamps to installing ceiling and wall mounted lighting. They were prompt, very polite, professional, and did an awesome job carefully measuring and installing all pieces. They also helped convert 2 recessed ceiling lights to become pendants. We have since had them do 2 other jobs at our home. We cannot recommend them enough!

Description of Work
Altering outlet based switches to ceiling and wall lights

Work Completed On 03/06/2019

Review for JP O'Brien Electric LLP - 12 Oakwood Rd, Wilmington, MA - 38473860

03/29/2020

Edmund T.

Moving the electrical service took a long time because they had to coordinate with the electric company. Otherwise, there were no problems.

Description of Work
Bring up to code: replace fuse box by circuit breaker panel; move electrical service ingress so it wasn't near natural gas ingress. Added internet and television wiring. Installed or replace a few outlets.

Work Completed On 03/10/2020

12/30/2019

Keri I.

Wonderful. Very professional, knowledgeable, quick to respond.

Description of Work
Replace a GFI outlet and fix wiring on a previously installed light

Work Completed On 12/28/2019

10/28/2019

Kimberly D.

Had a great experience with JP O'Brien Electric! Joe got back to me immediately and what set him and his company apart from the start was that they provide an in-person estimate to talk about your needs and review what is possible (they only do this on Saturday mornings, but still it was worth it!). Dave came out to do the estimate and provided the written estimate within 24hrs. Part of our project included some investigation to find out what certain problems were, and the hourly rate he provided was very competitive (and included TWO electricians). He also provided a flat rate for other various items needed (outlet installation, etc), which I think in the long run ended up saving me money b/c some of those outlets turned out to be a lot more involved! He and his co-electrician Steve were very communicative, kept me updated on additional requirements/needs as the project went along. It was a FULL day (Steve stayed until 7pm) and they both came back on Saturday to finish up. They did an excellent job cleaning up (especially since the majority of the work was in the kitchen) and overall I was very pleased with the outcome and the price. I highly recommend Dave and Steve!! While I hope I don't need an electrician in the near future, our house is old, so when we come across the next issue, I'll be sure to reach out to Dave!

Description of Work
problem solving (then fixing), outlet installation, under cabinet light installation, grounding outlets

Work Completed On 10/16/2019

Hi [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to write a review! It was our pleasure helping you out and if you need anything in the future please let us know! JP OBrien

08/22/2019

Matthew K.

After seeing the stellar reviews I contacted JP O'Brien for an estimate on a complete rewire of my house minus a panel upgrade, which I had performed earlier. The male on the end of the phone answered "Hello?" and I had to ask if I had the right number. After describing my issue I was told that because I had one circuit on the 2nd and 3rd floors of knob and tube that the estimate would be $150 because he would have to shut off the power and trace the single circuit. I immediately thanked him for his time and moved on. $150 to trace a single circuit when I could be paying them upwards of $3,500-$5,000 for the job? I don't think so. Very poor initial service. Money grabber.

Description of Work
Estimate for complete rewire of house, minus panel upgrade

Work Completed On 08/22/2019

Good morning [Member Name Removed], I’m sorry I left you with a bad impression. I should’ve explained in more detail what the $150 was for and why it’s necessary. For an estimate to rewire knob and tube wiring, it’s usually not as simple as just counting how many switches, lights, outlets, etc. are on the circuit. The wiring is extremely old and has usually been modified or extended in some way, shape or form, often with newer wiring methods that do not need to be replaced. For instance, you may have a circuit with 15 locations, fed by knob and tube wiring. But [Member Information Removed] of those locations come out of a junction box and are actually fed by grounded romex or BX wiring. For us to determine this, we typically perform a knob and tube inspection, which is what the $150 was for. As part of that inspection, we visually inspect for knob and tube wiring, if it does branch off with good wiring, we separate that portion of the circuit, for a more accurate count. Additionally, many times there are segments of knob and tube wiring mixed in on circuits that are fed with grounded wiring. As part of our inspection, we test every outlet to make sure they are grounded. We also open up switch boxes to visually check for knob and tube wiring. All of this takes some time and involves some work. It’s not as simple as an estimate. It’s not intended to be a “money grab”. The concept is to be as thorough as possible and to provide the customer with an accurate assessment of what has to be done and the costs associated with replacing the knob and tube wiring... As far as answering the phone, I apologize. My phone was connected to a bluetooth speaker and when I answered, sound was not being transmitted. When I switched over to the phone, I wasn’t sure if anyone was still there and said “hello” to check. Good luck with your project!

06/03/2019

Leah A.

I had Joseph come out to give me estimates on a handful of different jobs we're going to get done over time, ranging from some initial small stuff up to major pieces like upgrading the service & moving panels around. He was prompt, professional, and friendly, and broke the estimate down into separate sections for me so we could do the various jobs at the right times. Once I scheduled the first set of work with him, he was able to fit me in within a reasonable period, and again was punctual for our appointment. He got the job done in good time, did exactly what we needed, kept everything clean, and it looks excellent. Absolutely plan to hire again and am already lining up what the next project will be.

Description of Work
Change wiring for Stove & Dryer

Work Completed On 05/31/2019

01/21/2019

A H.

Went very well..was happy with his work!

Description of Work
Replace light fixture

Work Completed On 01/21/2019

01/19/2019

Tera K.

Just fine. He came and inspected the house to see if any of the knob and tube wiring was still connected to a power source so that I could get a go ahead through Mass Save to insulate my house. It was a really easy job because the house electrical had all recently been updated. He was polite and efficient. Done within a half hour.

Description of Work
Inspect knob and tube wiring

Work Completed On 01/19/2019

01/15/2019

Marcel D.

We needed some electrical work done in our garage. I found JP O'Brien Electric through Angie's list and they were great!! They responded quickly to our request for a quote, they scheduled the work within two weeks even though it was around the holidays, and the work was performed professionally and exactly as they promised in the quote. I would recommend JP O'Brien to anyone who needs electrical work.

Description of Work
Updated the electrical service in our garage.

Work Completed On 01/08/2019

01/03/2019

Cindy C.

Great! Joe was very quick to respond and was able to complete the job efficiently.

Description of Work
add outlet for washing machine & wire cable outlets

Work Completed On 12/06/2018

12/17/2018

Mark S.

Joe came out on time and quoted job. Price was competitive, arrived to do work on time, performed service upgrade and ran GFIC out side but couldn't finish hook up because I wasn't ready, returned in a timely fashion and finished work. Very helpful would use again.

Description of Work
200 amp service upgrade, 240V GFIC run outside for hot tub connection

Work Completed On 11/26/2018

11/17/2018

Eugenia D.

We call Joseph for our bathtub installation and he did a superior job for it. He was on time and finish the job quickly and accurately. We like him a lot.

Description of Work
bathtub and lights installation

Work Completed On 10/11/2018

11/13/2018

Ernest P.

Very well. Joe went above and beyond, he stayed to make sure the generator was working properly and to label my fuse box appropriately.

Description of Work
Perform necessary electric work to hook up a generator. Also install switches in 2 rooms in order to stop lights from flicking.

Category electrician, generator service

Work Completed On 11/12/2018

10/31/2018

Robert K.

Dave was prompt and easily adjusted to a change in plan for one of the ceiling fixtures. He did the three indoor jobs efficiently and with quality results. He confirmed that the garage lights were getting power and that the bulbs were good, and then figured out quickly that the sockets, meant for flood lamps, were too deep for a standard bulb. He fixed that problem by raising the sockets.

Description of Work
Move two indoor ceiling fixtures, add a switch for one of them, diagnose and fix two garage ceiling lights that did not work.

Work Completed On 10/05/2018