Ames & Young Inc

Founded 2001 • With Angi since October 2008

661 S Main St Ste 4

Webster, MA 01570

Ames & Young General contractor | Deleading specialist. We have less than ten full-time employees. We do subcontract for plumbing, electrical, masonry, and other specialty trades. Shawn Young holds an unrestricted building license and deleading contractor license for the state of MA. All employees

01/11/2017

Laura L.

The deleading was done well; however the replacement of moldings and doors lacked quality (our painter has used three crates of caulking to fill in gaps and drafts resulting from the work). There was a lack of attention to detail in the job.

Description of Work
Deleading of home

Category lead paint removal

10/27/2015

Sarah G.

Category remodeling, roofing

04/21/2015

Lauren L.

I asked for a quote and the owner was very responsive and he walked me through the process. We did not use this company because the timing didn't work out for us but if I had another project, I would not hesitate to call them. Very professional and personable.

03/27/2014

Donald G.

Description of Work
Basement cement retaining walls and floor, floor joist repair, roof ridge vent, upgraded electrical.

10/22/2013

Vladimir G.

I am satisfied with their work. They gave me a lot of options that allowed me to save a lot of money. Other companies would have charged me two or three times as much. I recommend them without any reservations. When winter came, I felt drafts were going from a place where one of the newly installed window frame contacted the wall. When I told that to Shawn, he promptly came, insulated the problem place with caulk, showed me how to appropriately apply caulk in case there are drafts from any other windows in the future, and left his caulk gun and a can of caulk for me to use. This visit didn't cost me anything. This upheld my good impression from Ames and Young.

Description of Work
They replaced doors and windows for me. They laid down lanoleum, and insulated flooring.

10/16/2013

Paul S.

Description of Work
They have done several jobs for us, including creating and installation of a railing on our portico, moving cabinets in our kitchen and repairing water damaged siding and trim on our house.

02/02/2013

Dave & Amy J.

We were optimistic about Ames and Young. Shawn came out once with electrician and plumber, spent some time looking stuff over, and told us he'd get us estimates promptly. Then, he didn't get back in touch with us for a few weeks, until I followed up with him a couple of times. At that point, he said his phone had been broken, and he couldn't find my number. Dude, you're busy. Maybe you don't even want my job-- that's all fine. Just don't tell me that you lived without a working phone for days and days, or that you had no other access to my phone number (our multiple emails, perhaps?). We ended up going with someone else, in part because I'm not going to have much faith good future communications based on that experience. By all accounts, Ames and Young is great-- maybe this was just a one-time thing, but it was a bad introduction.

Description of Work
BS Excuse for drop-off in communication

Category remodeling

In response to this unfair review, I feel the need to thoroughly dispute his claims. I did, as well as my subcontractors, go to the property and discuss options with the couple. I did stay in touch with them, and then my office computer system crashed, which had all of my former emails and saved contacts. It was not a lie. It was the complete truth. It took me quite a while to get everything up and running again, and I did email the homeowner with my utmost apologies for taking so long. I also did email my estimates for the work, to which I never received a response. Since they were emailing me from two separate email addresses, perhaps they never saw the estimates, but I did send them. I do not find it to be professional to hound any potential clients and I do like to give them the chance to discuss their options, view various quotes, and ask questions. I did send a follow-up email, checking in, to which I again did not receive a response. I guess I don't understand how someone could post a negative review over thinking he did not receive an estimate (over six months ago). I pride myself in my integrity and my excellent work ethic. I am sorry that this couple feels that their estimate did not come soon enough, but it is the absolute truth that my computer crashed, which basically stored our company's heartbeat.

08/14/2012

Nicole M.

I had Aand Y do work on my house, including de-leading, lead assessment and construction work. I have a 100+ year old home and have had every kind of contractor under the sun do work on it. Never have I had one as good as Shawn Young. From the start, he was reliable, dependable, honest and thorough. He followed through at every step and was highly communicative. The job that he did was not a smooth one but he kept at it like it was a personal mission to complete it well. For example, a new window was installed by the manufacturer but done incorrectly. He handled all of the communication with the window company to have a new one installed. Then, when the town inspector came to the house and rejected the window because it didn't have tempered glass, he replaced/fixed it so it would pass inspection and on HIS dime. He never asked us to pay for it because he said that he should have caught the error. NO contractor does this! The job is done and I'm so impressed. Shawn Young, from Ames and Young demonstrates integrity that's rare in the contracting world. I want to add that all of this work, which took months to do, was via long distance. I lived in Europe and trusted him to take care of my house and coordinate with the tenants scheduling for the job. I was completely confident that my house and tenants were in the right hands. If you need to speak with me personally, I will gladly do so.

Description of Work
De-leading assessment and abatement, construction work

Category remodeling, replacement windows, home builders, lead paint removal

02/25/2012

Denise G.

I used Angie's List to research and identify a good contractor to repair my uncle's garage after some heavy storm damage. Shawn Young was responsive, courteous and professional and his estimate was in-line with what insurance would cover. The work was done when promised, and the crew from Ames and Young did a good job with the clean-up. My uncle was completely satisfied with the work and we would recommend Ames and Young without hesitation.

Description of Work
Garage: Remove existing damaged wall and roofing sections off the rear of the garage. Reframe rear wall to code, with one new construction double hung vinyl window, white vinyl siding installed to closely match existing. Roofing members framed, plywood installed 30lb underlayment and new 3-tab shingles installed to match weaved/patched into existing shingles. Soffits and fascia repaired/recreated to match existing. Interior electrical outlet repaired/replaced. House: Siding patched in several areas.

Category remodeling, roofing, siding, replacement windows

09/05/2010

Stephanie H.

They were very reliable, polite, professional and did a great job of doing the work around our family. We loved the results.

Description of Work
Deleading and remodeling of living room/kitchen.

Category remodeling, home remodeling, lead paint removal

10/20/2008

Rose B.

We had our home tested for lead by an independent inspector and found that our house was full of lead paint. We got 3 quotes from different contractors. Jack Young (one of the owners) came out several times to go over the scope of the work and to answer any questions we had. He even went out of his way to send us samples of millwork that he would recommend, even before we had chosen his company. Once we had chosen them, he got the measurements taken care of right away and ordered the windows. As this was a lead removal project, we did have to move out of our home and were not able to go and supervise the work on an ongoing basis. Jack and his staff provided updates to us on a regular basis. Their office was extremely responsive via both phone and email, with answers to my questions given often within hours. The work was completed almost within schedule - hold-ups having more to do with getting ordered materials sent rather than the workers. Shawn Young (another owner) was extremely communicative and was always on site supervising and doing work himself. Shawn went out of his way to make sure that the millwork looked like we wanted it to, and even provided creative suggestions to help keep the integrity of the older house we like so much. The workmanship was great, and he was very easy to work with. When I went through the house at the end of the job and noticed a few minor details here and there, Shawn was right there to take care of them in a timely manner. I always felt that I was being heard and responded to, and that there was a real concern on the part of the contractors to do a quality job.

Description of Work
Ames and Young replaced 32 windows and all of the window sills and casings in our 1920's home. They replaced door casings in most rooms, and removed lead paint in areas listed on the lead report in order to bring us into compliance with the state. They removed and rebuilt complicated millwork (astragal molding frames and chair rail) in our dining room. They replaced/rebuilt the front entry way as well as the iron railings on our front steps. Our home passed with the state lead inspector on the first try after the work was completed.

Category replacement windows, lead paint removal

Eddie and Simon

Masonry; Stone wall, bricks, blocks, concrete, stairs, pavers, chimney, repairs.

Uncle G Masonry LLC

We have the experience and dedication to get the job done right! Specializing in Masonry and Concrete services; We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won't leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Call or click for your FREE estimate today!

2022 Super Service Award

Newton Fire and Flood Inc.

Newtown Fire and Flood specializes in being a one-stop shop for all water damage, fire damage, Mold testing and Mold remediation problems. After a flood or fire, they also do the repairs of your home to complete the job - making them a true one stop shop. Phil, the owner and operator, answers the phone and takes care of the problem with his team. Newtown Fire and Flood won't leave a job until you are completely satisfied and will work with you and your insurance company after the job to complete the process. We are a 24 hour emergency service company, so if you have an immediate problem and need some help in an emergency, please give us a call! We look forward to working with you! Serving all of New England with offices in Southshore, Northshore, and Wooster - as well as greater Boston. Additional DBA - Newton Fire and Flood Inc.

MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check, Visa, PayPal, Financing Available

Lead paint removal and RRP cleaning, deleading, general contracting, kitchen and bath remodeling, commercial and residential roofing, siding (all types), carpentry, additions, decks, doors and window replacement and installation, demolition & consulting