PRENDERGAST OIL

Founded 1935 • With Angi since June 2006

PO BOX 175

Watertown, MA 02471

Ensure that your home is comfortable with HVAC services and oil sales from Prendergast Oil Company, Inc. in Watertown, Massachusetts. Be prepared for a long, cold winter by signing up for heating oil delivery to your home or business. In addition to fuel delivery, we install, maintain, and repair

07/30/2020

Galen V.

Tom came out to do an assessment of our project, which would have likely been a $20-30k project. He spent quite a bit of time with me and explained all the options and trade-offs. He asked for a few days to get me a quote. When I didn't hear from him after 6 days, I emailed him. When I still didn't hear from him after another week, I called and left a voicemail with his assistant/operator. It's been over 2 weeks and no response. He didn't seem like a bad guy, but this is a terrible way to run a business and treat prospective clients. I've given up on Prendergast. If they're too busy for this job, they could simply reach out and say "sorry, we can't take on new work now", which other contractors have done. Then I'd keep them in mind for future work.

Description of Work
Central AC install

09/05/2018

Matthew K.

The technician came out and quickly determined what happened. He fully explained how the system worked and why the problem had happened. He also explained how to fix it on my own so I didn’t need to have anyone come out. The tech also did a quick check of the whole system to ensure there weren’t any other potential issues.

Description of Work
My AC system was out in the summer. It was hot and I couldn’t get it started.

08/25/2017

LYNN C.

It's $650 for a year. They come out twice, and then if anything is wrong, they also come out.

Description of Work
They do checkups. We have a service contract with them for twice a year.

08/04/2017

Victoria D.

Harry was awesome. There were some hiccups with my building's maintenance folks, and he took it all in stride. It was a totally annoying situation, and not only did he fix the problem, he made it bearable for me as well. I actually have no idea how much this visit will cost me, but I can tell you it will be worth every penny. (Reserve the right to edit that last part when I see the bill ;-)

Description of Work
My AC broke on a hot Friday afternoon, and the maintenance man hadn't been able to resolve the issue. He called another provider, who said they could come on Monday. No way! I immediately went Angie's list and an hour later Harry from Prendergast was at my door. Problem solved.

05/04/2017

Diane D.

He was fabulous. He came right down and took care of the problem. His prices are very reasonable. The owner and his staff are very, very professional and friendly. I have recommended him to many friends and relatives. This is an excellent company.

Description of Work
I was without heat and he replaced a part and got my heat working again very quickly.

Category heating oil companies

05/01/2017

LYNN C.

04/04/2017

Hongmyung L.

Excellent. I called for a boiler problem and could schedule an appointment next morning. Brandon showed up on time and was very professional. He meticulously assessed issues, clearly explained what he knew and couldn't figure out, came up with a solution and tried his best to get the part/have it installed as quickly as possible. Their office was also very accessible - I called twice and could talk to the owner each time. If I have a boiler problem in the future I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call again.

Description of Work
Boiler repair

02/07/2017

Ted T.

Awesome. These folk were all business. Took care of of the conversion, answered all questions and reignited my faith in humanity. They were on time and professional. the pricing was great and informed me of rebates. Would I use them again? I am. They are coming over Thursday to change my thermostat to digital.

Description of Work
Oil to Gas Conversion.

10/23/2016

Donald O.

We had a set appointment, but Harry and Dave (yes, Harry & David) showed up a little early. No problem, they just waited in the truck for 5 minutes as I drove from a nearby location. When looking at the furnace they explained that this type of burner is old - you probably won't get a blue flame from it. And they said that it would likely make it through the winter with no problem. There was no upsell. They cleaned out and tuned up the furnace; resealed the boiler door; and checked the efficiency. They also tested both heating zones.

Description of Work
On a 70 year old furnace, the flame was burning yellow, no longer blue, and it appeared to be only on one side.

07/11/2016

Jena G.

I really like them. I have used them for eight years.

Description of Work
I use Prendergast. I used them for an annual tune-up for the furnace.

07/11/2016

Jena G.

Description of Work
I have used Prendergast. I used them for an annual tune-up for the furnace.

02/26/2016

mary D.

Description of Work
Installed high efficiency boiler plus indirect water heater

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

02/04/2016

Priscilla H.

Description of Work
Prendergast showed up initially as promised, but after diagnosing the problem (only partially)did not have the manpower to come back in a timely fashion. Also,their estimate was more than twice what I eventually had to pay with a different Angie's list recommended company that actually performed what Prendergast diagnosed (plus more). In most situations the cost of the diagnosis rolls into the final total work; thus, I had to pay above and beyond the fee that was necessary using the alternate company. Basically, I believe Prendergast did not want to change a heat exchanger. They wanted to replace the whole furnace. That option was unneccessary. However, just their quote for the heat exchanger was double what the final company charged.

07/23/2015

Douglas M.

Professional, prompt and polite. Price seemed reasonable. Seemed to be a good company...this was 3 years ago.

Description of Work
Repaired leak in A/C

03/02/2015

Ted T.

First, the price is great. I looked at all options and the closest I found was someone willing ot do it for 3K more, but only if I paid cash. Second, I can be a nervous homeowner when it comes to big repairs. The owner was great and explained things so even I could understand. Third, I literally got like 100+ years of experience in the crew he sent over. When something wasn't perfect it was addressed immediately as they "Needed" to know why not. They were spot on and kept coming back until it was gold standard (please note, I did have the dirtiest boiler they had ever seen, hence the number of trips). My wife was against the change...and now sees just how great a job they did. Even my father in-law complimented me. Though I will only see them again for routine maintenance, they are in my contacts on my phone so I can recommend this company further. If you happen to be reading this, thanks again.

Description of Work
Converted my heating system to gas.

12/30/2013

Linda S.

as leaking. And I found leaks in all 3 radiators and went to Lowe's and replaced the steam knobs for a cost of $17. I had no more problems. I have had a contract with Prendergast Oil since I bought my condo in 2010. I have a service contract to have yearly maintenance done on my gas burner. This past summer, when an outside contractor came in from National Grid to assess the viability of the 4 gas burners in our building, mine was the only one that passed, that has an efficiency level commensurate with the label. One of my neighbors replaced her burner with a high efficiency burner, and the other finally got theirs repaired. My neighbors seem to think that it's a waste of money to properly maintain one's burner, but it's really the opposite. Tom Prendergast and his wife are lovely people. They really care about doing the right thing, as does the young man who usually comes to clean out my burner. You will be in good hands if you sign up for a maintenance contract or any kind of service with Prendergast. I can't say enough nice things about them. I received an education today that will help me be a more knowledgeable homeowner.

Description of Work
Tom Prendergast, the owner of the company, came to my house to do yearly maintenance on my gas burner. And like every encounter I've had with him either on the phone or today, he does so much more. So he did the typical maintenance on my burner, found everything in order, cleaned it. But then he noticed that we have hoses outside and we hadn't shut the water off. We're going to get subfreezing weather this weekend, so Tom turned the water off to both hoses, emptied the pipes of water, and helped me unhook one of the hoses so I could bring it inside. He said he includes a warning in November bills to all his customers to turn off the water to the outside hoses. I had just been telling him of a terrible burst pipe incident. In short, how many regular businesses go out of their way to help their customers prevent additional problems. Why should they care? Tom did me a similar favor about a year ago, when I called complaining that my burner kept turning off due to a steam leak. He painstakingly explained how I could detect which of my radiators wa

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

07/05/2013

Andrew R.

Prendergast Oil had been our oil provider and boiler maintenance at our old house and we were always very pleased with their service. We moved in October and immediately applied for the Mass Save Heat Loan and began seeking estimates to replace the extremely inefficient heating system in our new home (which also heated the hot water inconsistently, so it was an inconvenience on it's best days and a expensive nightmare when the weather turned cold). Tom was prompt with his response, showed up on time, and followed through with a detailed written estimate that was competitive with the other providers (many did not give written estimates at all). Tom even helped us try to speed up our application with Mass Save as we have a small child and the lack of hot water made the winter months (as mild as they were this year) challenging when it came to bath time. When the HEAT loan came through, Tom and his crew were ready to go and did all of the work in one day (we contracted a separate company to haul away the old oil tank). They came back two times to help us balance the system to warm up some rooms that are further from the boiler and keep the rooms closest to the boiler from being too hot. They also provided phone support when we had a low-water warning on the new boiler (a simple fix). All in all, Tom has more than earned our trust, our respect, and our business and we'd recommend Prendergast Oil to anyone looking for oil and/or gas heating system work.

Description of Work
Tom and his crew replaced our 1940's coal-fired converted to oil steam boiler and direct hot water heater through a Mass Save HEAT Loan. They installed a new Burnham Independence gas fired steam boiler and stainless steel lined indirect hot water and did the necessary piping to connect to our radiators. They also updated three of the radiators and balanced the system for us.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair, heating oil companies

02/21/2013

Karine T.

Wonderfully prompt, friendly, and courteous service. A young man came to fix our A/C and explained everything he was doing and why, every step of the way. He lost me a few times, but I really appreciated it! Our neighbors recommended this company to us, and we've recommended them to others now too.

Description of Work
Fixed our A/C

01/26/2012

Wayne W.

It went as well as can be expected. Nobody wants to pay thousands of dollars to replace a furnace, but what choice do you have? Prendergast worked as fast as they could, ordering the new boiler and installing it over the course of two day. They cleaned up the basement area where they were working, removed the old furnace and we were had heat Friday afternoon. We were quite fortunate that the weather was warmer that usual. I was surprised at the extra costs, due to the local city regulations, of converting to a gas system. They would have almost doubled my repair/replacement costs, and the payoff time would have been very far down the road. Tom was very helpful in explaining all the options, and researching the associated expenses. I would highly recommend him to anyone. Very prompt, responsible and professional.

Description of Work
On Christmas our oil fired boiler in the furnace decided to split. I called Tom Prendergast on my way home from New York City and I told him that the furnace had shut down. Before I got home, he had already been to our house, checked out the furnace, and left me a note with the bad news. Over the next few days, he sent me estimates for replacement options including both oil and gas fired boilers. Since the gas fired burner required a stainless chimney liner and a basement ventilation system, which raised the costs dramatically, we went with a replacement oil fired boiler. I made the decision to do the replacement on Wednesday, Thursday the new furnace was delivered and by Friday afternoon, the job was, as promised, complete.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, heating oil companies

11/28/2010

IGOR M.

It was Thanksgiving weekend Sunday afternoon and our oil boiler wouldn't start up. We tried to call multiple companies and they all either service only their oil delivery clients or wanted up to $200 just to come out take a look at the boiler. We called Mr. Prendergast based on his high Angie's list ratings, and he took the time on the phone to guide me around this old oil boiler and try a few things until we finally identified the reset button. Pushed it and the thing started up and we finally had heat. We are so grateful to Mr. Prendergast for taking time out of his Sunday evening to help out a stranger, and obviously he refused to charge us anything for this help over the phone. What a great professional and a wonderful person!!

Description of Work
Started up the oil burner.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, heating oil companies

07/13/2010

Timothy L.

They had a good rating on Angie's List and a friend of mine had recommended them.

Description of Work
My heating and A/C units needed major repairs.

06/28/2010

Pailing Y.

Tom's estimate was very good value given that he included the asbestos removal of my old boiler. Everything was done cleanly and quickly. He uses email, which I find is hugely convenient.

Description of Work
Tom removed my old asbestos encased oil boiler and installed an Energy Kinetics System 2000. He did a great job, everything works fine so far. Looking forward to seeing my oil bill fall this coming winter!

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, asbestos removal, heating oil companies

06/11/2010

Svetlana P.

Starting date had slipped several days due to some other project Prendergast Oil was undertaking. Failed to appear once after I took a day off to meet them. Otherwise, very professional, did a great job, accommodated our requests, put all ducts the way we wanted, cleaned after themselves very well each day. Hired by them electrician put wiring the way he liked (on the outside wall) instead of talking to me first (although I was in the house). He did move conduit below siding after I asked him to, but I would prefer to have all wiring inside.

Description of Work
AC unit with air handler in the attic with three output to second floor and two to first and one return. Condenser is on the ground level outside. 24000 BTU unit.

07/07/2008

JUDI L.

I have been using their services for about ten years. They do a good job. They do what they say they will. They clean up after themselves. They are easy to get ahold of.

Description of Work
They come out to clean our furnace once a year.

06/29/2006

FAITH B.

Prendergast Oil was creative, reasonably priced, reliable, communicated well, arrived on time and persisted in solving the problems that arose along the way. They finished the job in a timely manner and were very helpful in answering our questions. I would definitely hire them again and would recommend them to friends.

Description of Work
We had a ductless air conditioning unit in our 3rd floor room that had been installed poorly by another company. We had a second unit that was unconnected. We had to move the condensers to a different location under a porch, and we had to have the second unit connected. We needed a company to fix a botched job.

C2G Environmental Consultants LLC

C2G Environmental Consultants, LLC specializes in underground storage tank removals and abandonments, above ground storage tank removals and installations, remediation of contaminated soil, groundwater investigations, and emergency spill response. By choosing C2G Environmental, you can be assured that your environmental project will be handled with the utmost care and professionalism. C2G Environmental is a full service environmental company. What sets us apart from other companies is our highly trained staff of professional geologists and hydrologists, as well as technicians. We do not use sub-contractors or rental equipment. We are authorized by New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey to remove and haul contaminated material. Our Services: • Tank Removals, Abandonments & Installations • 24 Hour Emergency Spill Response • Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) • Geoprobe & Vac Truck Services • Water, Soil, Air Testing/Monitoring • Liquid/Soil Transportation & Disposal • Petroleum Facility Compliance Audits (Class A/B Operator) • Phase I & II Environmental Site Assessment

Impresair Environmental Corp

4 employees. No subs. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. No service fees. LICENSE # AC000774. No extra charge for after hours service. Additional contact - Maria Najarro. May contact through email mari50972@hotmail.com, impresair-environmental@gmx.com or by calling at (617) 625-7106, (617) 594-8145 (617) 682 5439 FAX (781) 397-0102.

Offers Coupon

Mouradian Plumbing & Heating

With over 20 years of experience, boiler and water heaters are our specialty. - High Efficiency Boilers -Steam Boilers -Standard Hot Water Boilers - Tankless Water Heaters - Standard Tank Water Heaters

HEATING OIL, CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONING, GAS HOT WATER BOILERS AND FURNACES, BASEBOARD HEAT, RADIANT FLOOR HEAT, POOL HEATERS, ELECTRIC HEAT CONVERSIONS, FILTERS, HUMIDIFIERS, AND OIL TANK INSTALLATION AND REMOVAL.