Lenihan Construction

Founded 2001 • With Angi since November 2010

General Contractor specializing in remodeling, kitchens, bathrooms, porches and decks....

A Service Provider's profile image

+2 more images

home remodeling (6)woodworking (5)decks & porches (5)door installation (4)general contractors (4)basement remodeling (2)window replacement (2)structural engineering (1)iron work (1)closet design (1)

07/02/2020

Laura A.

John was great. He was prompt, efficient, fair, and highly knowledgeable about carpentry.

Description of Work
Deck railing, staining, built play structure

Work Completed On 07/01/2020

12/29/2019

Charles M.

Excellent.

Description of Work
Complete refurbishment of flooring and rails on two decks.

Work Completed On 12/28/2019

10/15/2018

Martin S.

They are first-rate!

Description of Work
They did some carpentry work for me on various projects.

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/03/2018

10/09/2018

Tim W.

After interviewing many contractors, we decided on John because he seemed the most knowledgeable about the type of intricate work we needed done. Our front porch balustrades, spindles and newel posts were completely rotted. We wanted to use PVC, but John's idea to use red cedar worked out better. Cedar is much more aesthetically pleasing in our antique home. Not satisfied with the available options for commercially available cedar newels, John had custom newels turned from a solid piece of cedar, to the exact design dimensions of the original. We are thrilled with the result. The millwork looks exceptional. John took his time to cut and install everything perfectly, very tedious work which others didn't want to take on. Our rotted pine siding on our sunroom: John flawlessly replaced everything with PVC boards. It looks brand new and will last forever. As will our back stoop and railings, all PVC. John will always listen to the customers' ideas and try to work with you. He is always on time and respectful to our property. Just a true professional and a very friendly person. We have more projects for John in the future. So happy to have hired Lenihan Construction!

Description of Work
Front porch millwork replacement, back porch rebuild, replace rotted siding with PVC trim.

Category decks, remodeling, woodworking

Work Completed On 08/04/2018

09/20/2017

Michael L.

John by far is the best contractor we have had in many years. Not only was his workmanship stellar but he was consistently on time and worked the entire job to completion without interruption. This is the second time we used him and both times were a pleasant experience. I would highly recommend him and will continue to use him in the future.

Description of Work
We needed to have 6 windows replaced with new construction windows. Included with that was to redo all of the woodwork around the inside and outside of the windows. Additionally, 2 new windows were cut into the wall and installed.

Category replacement windows, woodworking, doors

Work Completed On 06/05/2017

Thanks [Member Name Removed]. I appreciated you giving me a good review.

02/01/2017

Miriam T.

The estimate was high. They came right out but the estimate took a little white. I would not use them.

Description of Work
I had them come out and do an estimate and that was it. I wanted a kitchen and two bathrooms done.

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 09/14/2016

If you want good work done you have pay.

06/02/2016

Dara K.

Description of Work
Lenihan Contruction added a gorgeous master bathroom to the third floor of our home. John Lenihan is a true professional who does beautiful work. He is a pleasure to deal with and stands behind his work. Each and every one of his subs was a master of his trade. I will definitely use Lenihan Construction for future projects.

Category decks, remodeling

Work Completed On 02/28/2016

08/26/2015

Douglas S.

John Lenihan is pleasure to work with. He has installed new construction windows in my 100 yr old house and replicated the original trim beautifully. Most recently he replaced my disintegrating backdoor which leads into the basement and also did a bathroom window. His work is excellent, he takes the time to work out the details and make sure all the pieces fit well - he is a very skilled carpenter. He's a real professional, a very nice guy and working with him feels like a collaboration. I have had four others do carpentry work on this house, none of which I was satisfied with - either the work wasn't good enough, the prices did not match the estimates or they were not dependable. My standards are high, and John is someone I have confidence in. He is trustworthy, honest, prompt and reliable. He genuinely cares about his work and is definitely someone I plan to work with many times in the future. Outstanding.

Description of Work
Replacement of backdoor to basement & new trim and installation awning window in bathroom & new trim.

Category contractors, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, doors, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 08/26/2015

07/07/2015

Frank N.

He was businesslike, thorough, attended to all the repairs.

Description of Work
Repaired a porch.

Work Completed On 04/30/2014

10/27/2014

Scott J.

This went very well- John is very responsive and professional and provided quality service and excellent work. Scheduling was a little hectic but he gets back to you when he says he's going to. He's busy because he's very good.

Description of Work
Fixed & replaced basement door, storm door, lock etc. and french drain

Category remodeling, doors

Work Completed On 10/01/2014

02/26/2014

David C.

John was a PLEASURE to work with from start to finish. He was easy to reach, returned all calls promptly, always showed up as scheduled and on time. All work was performed professionally, quickly, and neatly. The work area was always left in great condition. John's team of workers were professional, polite, efficient, and friendly. We were very fortunate to find John, and we will always call him first for any future work.

Description of Work
Demolish existing walls in basement. Excavate in basement to create full height rooms. Install french drain. Relocate water main. Finish floors. Create interior partitions including electric and plumbing. Reconfigure access door including new concrete steps. Relocate door on main floor. All finish work (walls, ceilings, floors), finish electrical (recessed lighting, outlets, ethernet, cable).

Work Completed On 09/18/2013

01/25/2014

Tommy G.

From the quote, to the final clean up, truly professional 100% Great crew of carpenters and John managed all of the sub contractors. | |I've recommended Lenihan Construction to many of my friends & family. We will undoubtedly be giving John a call for future renovation projects.

Work Completed On 08/20/2013

12/23/2013

andrew R.

Excellent experience. They were awesome. Owner was very responsive. Reasonably priced.

Description of Work
Carpentry work and drywall plastering.

Work Completed On 06/01/2011

01/04/2013

Pamela Z.

They were fabulous. I wouldn't use anyone else. They have a great work ethic. They come and they work a full day. They are the best of the best. He also did an addition on the back of my house. John is unbelievable and there is not a finer carpenter in the area.

Description of Work
I used Lenihan Construction last summer to remodel the master bath.

Category remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

Work Completed On 12/04/2012

12/10/2012

EILEEN I.

My mother interviewed three contractors including John. She chose to work with John because he was professional, responsive, and good-natured. John is willing to work with his clients, which makes the process of remodeling go much smoother in spite of unexpected problems that were not his fault as general contractor. John listened to what was most important to my mother, incorporated that into the remodel and made helpful suggestions along the way. My mother was pleased with the subcontractors that John hired (i.e., painter, electrician). The remodel took longer than expected, which made her even more glad that she had hired John (i.e., someone who she could work well with). He did all the work to the condo with the exception of the hardwood flooring. My mom opted to go with someone who specialized in wood floors. Another couple in the same condo building met with John after my mother's renovation was complete and decided to hire him to work on their unit as well. They have said they are pleased with his work on the project.

Description of Work
Gut renovation of one-bedroom condo in Brookline, including opening up the kitchen with a island into the living room/dining room. New master bath and half bath.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 09/20/2012

08/10/2011

David E.

I am absolutely thrilled with how my project turned out. I feel very lucky to have found John Lenihan. His responsiveness, professionalism, and craftsmanship exceeded my expectations at every stage of the process. John instilled confidence from his very first visit, when he came to look at my existing bathroom, talk over what I wanted to do, and discuss my requirements. He gave me an extremely reasonable estimate--in fact, his was by far the lowest bid I received for the job. As we talked over the details, he answered my questions promptly and was very accommodating. The timing of the job was very important to me, and despite his own busy schedule, John found a way to fit me in. He actually began the job a week earlier than we had agreed and finished it in half the time, so that, by the end, he completed the entire project two weeks earlier than he had originally planned. At the same time, I didn't feel at all like he had rushed any part of the job. He was just extraordinarily efficient, as were the men he had working for him. John and every member of his crew--especially José--were models of punctuality and professionalism. And their craftsmanship is first-rate. The final product is beautiful. Let me give a concrete example of the way that John exceeded my expectations. Every contractor I talked to before John told me that one of the bathroom walls would have to be knocked out in order to get the new tub in. (My bathroom is very narrow, and the old tub seemed to have been in place already when it was framed.) John, on the other hand, was confident that he could get the new tub in without touching the walls. (This accounts for a large part of the difference between his price and other quotes I received.) I was skeptical at first--to be honest, I thought it couldn't be done--but he assured me he could do it. Before I knew it, John had managed to get a 350-lb. cast iron tub through my bathroom door and into place. I still don't know how it was possible--I'm amazed! John was on site for a substantial portion of the job, doing a lot of the work himself. When he had to be away, either picking up materials or checking in on one of his other jobs, he always returned at the end of the day to look over the work with me and talk over what was going to be done the next day. Although I know for a fact that he had a couple of other jobs going simultaneously, I always felt like he was 100% invested in making sure that my project came out to my satisfaction. I am convinced that hiring John Lenihan has been one of the smartest investments I've made in my home. I got extraordinary value for an extraordinarily reasonable price. There is no doubt that the value added to my home by John's work vastly exceeds what it cost me. John will be the first person I call in the future for any project, big or small. I would recommend him without hesitation to anyone looking for a responsible, skilled contractor. He tells me that he particularly enjoys remodeling bathrooms, and I can attest that he's particularly good at it. Put him at the top of your list!

Description of Work
Basic bathroom remodel in my Cambridge condominium. John replaced the tub, vanity, and toilet; installed a new tile floor in place of the old linoleum and new tile in place of the shower liner; replaced the mirror / medicine cabinet; put in a light fixture over the mirror; replaced all the fixtures and accessories (faucets, towel bars, etc.); and painted.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 08/10/2011

02/18/2011

Milan K.

Very Well

Description of Work
Unfinished carpentry work for basement

Category contractors, remodeling, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 01/21/2011

11/22/2010

Megan E.

The project went extremely well. The cabinets were built out beautifully, and the project stayed on timeline and budget. The doors were a custom size, but they were able to construct doors to fit, saving us money. Also, our floors and cielings are not level, and they did a great job of adjusting for this difference so that the cabinets did not look lopsided. Workspaces were kept very clean during the project, and I would happily use them again!

Description of Work
Had additional storage units built in the overhead space above our closets in two bedrooms, and had doors added to the new storage cabinets and had the doors on the existing closets replaced. Finally, trim was added to surround the closets and cabinets.

Category contractors, closet systems, remodeling, woodworking, doors

Work Completed On 08/27/2010

11/15/2010

Melissa B.

We scheduled John Lenihan of Lenihan Construction to come out and perform various jobs on a couple of occasions, the first job being the improvements to the wrought iron railings on the front porch. Mr. Lenihan took the time to make sure that the job was done right. The final product was very professional looking and you can tell he pays attention to detail. He was on time and performed the job within the allotted timeframe, as well as staying in budget. We were very happy with his work. On another occasion we hired Mr. Lenihan to replace several support beams in the basement. Again, he took the time to make sure the job was done right and we were happy with the results. Overall, John Lenihan is very professional and is great to work with.

Description of Work
John Lenihan of Lenihan Construction performed various jobs around my house including repairing and installing new support posts in the basement and repairing the wrought iron railings on our steps leading up to the front porch. The railings had separated from the base, and he was able to repair the gaps and perform other cosmetic work to make the railings look new. He also performed other various smaller general carpentry work around the house.

Category contractors, wrought iron, structural engineer

Work Completed On 04/16/2010