Belmont Watertown Transmission Specialist

Founded 1979 • With Angi since October 2009

174 Belmont St

Watertown, MA 02472

Belmont-Watertown Transmissions is a family-run business that has been serving the Greater Boston area for over 30 years. We have succeeded in our business for so many years because we provide quality work and back our warranty 100%. We will never sell you a service that you do not need and always give you a full range of options for your transmission repair needs...

07/20/2017

Stephen P.

Joe is a true gentleman and fixed my car as promised for the agreed upon price and in the stated time frame. I have been driving the car now for approximately 5 months with no issues to report. He definitely proved to me that he truly deserves the A ratings on Angie's List. Thanks Joe

Description of Work
My 2007 ford edge all wheel drive with 128K miles lost the transmission. The drive shaft and rear right wheel bearing also had developed issues and needed to be changed. This is a very sophisticated engine and drivetrain and I was concerned about the expertise and abilities of the mechanic who would be fixing my car. I live in Georgetown, Ma about 20 miles north of Belmont Transmission and decided to enlist Joe at Belmont Transmission to repair my SUV based on the high ratings he received on Angie's List

03/01/2016

soumyadip G.

Description of Work
Clutch burnt out right before a long business trip. Contacted them and was able to drop car off same day. I was given an initial estimate of 4-5 days, but work got done in two. A thorough job, they even made sure that I spent only the amount needed.

10/14/2015

Brian S.

Description of Work
Joe the owner is a complete professional who stood behind his work. I had my transmission repaired and a leak fixed. Great work by his team.

09/11/2015

Christopher S.

From my 1st phone call i dealt with owner Joe Arria. Joe right away gave me an extremely competitive estimate. I said well that's a good price and he came back with 'no, that's a great price.' He was right of course but I never like to tip my hand like that lol. Joe explained in detail what he was going to do and I dropped it off to him. He called me to say it was ready right on time and was concerned that I get my vehicle back. When I picked it up and the mechanic got out he asked me to wait and came out with a cloth and cleaner to clean one little smudge on the door! 1st rate people and service. Car drives great and shifts smoothly. I've only had it back for one day and will update this if anything develops. In summary so far nothing but a good experience.

Description of Work
Rebuilt transmission 2002 trailblazer 4wd

08/12/2015

Peter O.

Description of Work
Gear shift cable and rear brakes

01/13/2015

Peter A.

Joe and team were professional, friendly and easy to work with. Joe diagnosed and communicated the issue to me quickly and provided a clear plan on what part I needed, timing of the work and cost. He answered all my questions thoroughly and also showed me the old drive axle explaining where the lubrication had leaked which resulted in all the noise. Pleasure to work with.

Description of Work
Replaced front drive axle on 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

01/13/2015

Michael A.

Description of Work
They had to replace the stabilizers on our van. They also performed brake service. The cost of the brakes seemed to be a little pricey, but went ahead with it since we were already getting the stabilizers repaired.

Category auto repair, transmission repair

Hello there thank you for your review. I was trying to find your invoice in my system with your last name and can not find it. There is a gas station right next store to me that sometimes customers drop off their vehicle there thinking it is us just want to make sure that wasn't the case. Let us no maybe your invoice is under a different name.

11/17/2014

Bill G.

Very professional. Provided a loaner. After install car was leaking a small amount of transmission fluid. I brought it back and they took it for another day. They admitted readily an issue had been found with install (I don't recall if theirs or mfg), fixed issue and promptly returned. I'd recommend them over dealer.

Description of Work
Replaced transmission in Nissan Pathfinder

09/25/2014

Jonathan B.

We have a 2001 BMW 525i that has approximately 176K miles and, up until very recently, ran beautifully. We've always garaged and and maintained it according to the manufacturers specs and felt it could easily go another 100K miles. Then, about two weeks ago, we lost reverse gear and had our local mechanic diagnose the problem. As we expected, he told us the transmission would need to be replaced or rebuilt. It was at this point that I checked out (and joined) Angie's List to see if I could find a trustworthy transmission repair shop and, in hindsight (the repair is complete), I'm not sure I could have done better... After reading a number of reviews, I decided to call Belmont-Watertown Transmissions and the owner, Joe Arria, picked up the phone. As many reviews had stated, he came across as professional, knowledgeable, friendly and, after hearing about the symptoms, very up-front in terms of what my likely options were and how much each would cost. I talked to him a couple of times over a 24 hour period as we worked out an appointment for a diagnosis and potential repair and during this time Joe was very responsive. He seemed to answer the phone every time I called (and I called many times)...how novel is that!? We brought the car to Joe this past Sunday and dropped it off in his lot. He called me on Monday morning and described the problem, then gave me the price for a rebuilt transmission and a replacement transmission. We opted for the replacement and Joe then told me that he thought he could have the work done by the end of the week. Late Tuesday afternoon he called to say he thought the car would be ready by noon the next day (Wednesday)! I called him on Wednesday morning shortly after 8:00 to double-check and he reported that he stayed late the night before and finished the car...it was ready for pick up! My wife and I drove in that day (yesterday) in the late afternoon to pick up the car. Joe met us at the front desk and, again, could not have been nicer and proceeded to explain the details of the work he provided and the warranty on the used transmission. There were no surprises, the work was done ahead of schedule and at the price he quoted. All good (okay, it's not inexpensive to replace a transmission, but this car has a lot of life left and we're happy to extend it with this repair)! We paid him and drove off in the car and I could not be happier with the results. The transmission feels very smooth and the car, over all, feels great. Thanks Joe!!!

Description of Work
Replaced transmission in 2001 BMW 525i

08/18/2014

STEVE H.

Description of Work
I thought I had a transmission problem, but they found a different problem and were very nice about it since it did not include really anything about the tranny. I still had them do a regular service on the transmission since it was due. Really great place, and I do not offer that lightly. | |I work on my own cars and restore them. So I have experience with mechanics and shops. I would bring my car to these people any time.

Category auto repair, transmission repair, car inspections

05/13/2014

Barbara R.

I brought the car in because of a noise. They called me with a diagnosis. They were very patient both before and after doing the work explaining exactly what the car needed and what was done. The car is a 14 year-old Honda CRV with over 140,000 miles. Service was very professional and on-time. I asked for an oil change and they did it complimentary. They also replaced the ball joints at no charge. I have been driving for a month now and everything seems to be working fine. The price was steep but the professional work made it worth every penny.

Description of Work
Overhauled the transmission and replaced wheel bearings.

02/24/2014

Mike S.

It's good to find a place that you can trust when encountering car problems.

Description of Work
Having an automobile (2003 Acura TL) known to have transmission problems, I full expected to need to replace the transmission. I was pleased to find out that my problem was a snapped axle.

Category auto repair

12/30/2013

Joseph M.

I think if you're going in for a transmission problem, in the back of your mind you know you need your transmission rebuilt (or you need a new one). How do you estimate a transmission repair without taking the transmission apart. Belmont-Watertown transmissions assumes the transmission needs to be rebuilt, and quoted me as such in the first phone call. The quote varied between $2,200.00 and $2,500.00 depending on a couple of variables, and came in at under $2,400.00. A little steep for me. They were upfront with the estimate, accommodated me so I could bring it in early and pick it up late. Overall, I am satisfied with this company and would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Rebuilt transmission

12/12/2013

sharon B.

The gear shift was sticking and it felt like the transmission was slipping a bit. The provider did not rule out that there could be a larger transmission problem, especially because those have been common in this generation of Acura MDX's. However, he accurately observed that there might be a simple problem too, one that could be addressed with a simple solution. He applied grease to the gear shift and the problem went away. We liked it that he was very straight with us and that he did not guarantee that his solution would work. We were pleased that the grease successfully addressed the problem. The only aspect we felt could have been slightly better. He charged $125 for what could not have been more than a few minutes' work. But he knew - and we knew - that spending the $125 might help us avoid a much more expensive visit to the dealer. So overall, we were satisfied.

Description of Work
The provider assessed a problem with the transmission of our 9-year-old Acura. He recommended a fix. Then he fixed it.

Category transmission repair

Thanks for you're feedback we appreciate it greatly!!!

10/23/2013

Supreet M.

Joe was extremely professional and worked with me and my budget constraints due to loss of employment earlier this year. I am very grateful for his assistance and prompt attention to the repair of my Honda CR-V.

Description of Work
Transmission and broken axle replacement.

09/09/2013

Joe G.

I got three estimates from reputable transmission repair shops. Belmont Watertown Tranny was the most expensive and it was probably because he wanted to do a complete rebuild on the tranny and replace all parts. This was on a 2002 Ford Windstar, Total cost would have been more than the vehicle was worth. He should have other options.

Description of Work
He took a test drive and knew what the problem was.

Category transmission repair

I’m sorry to hear you felt that way while giving us the opportunity to potentially earn your business. Unfortunately some transmission today do cost more than vehicles are worth. In this industry when you call around from shop to shop you will get very different prices. When we do a transmission I expect it to last for a long time. If the job is done correctly and the proper parts are replaced it can be costly. It’s how I do business here I put master overhaul kits all new solenoids and a rebuilt torque converter at bear minimum in every single transmission we build because that’s what I would want put in my transmission in my vehicle. This industry is hard enough when you do everything the right way. You will pay more here but you get what you pay for. We do appreciate your feedback Thanks you …..Joe Belmont-Watertown Transmissions

08/21/2013

robert S.

Joe at Belmont Watertown Transmissions rebuilt the transmission on my 2003 Acura TL. These cars have a bad history in one area only, and that's the transmission. Having been through it before (dealer repaired the first time under warranty) I knew the symptoms and had also gotten a dash warning light diagnosed by the Acura dealer as a transmission problem, so this was a clear cut case of the transmission failing. I chose Joe after doing research on Angie's List and then Yelp. He's as good as the reviews say he is. He was great to deal with, and showed me exactly where he uses better parts than Acura does to improve the repair. I don't think he was the cheapest by any means, but under the heading of you get what you pay for, he's the real thing. He interrupted his 4th of July week in order to get my car processed faster than it otherwise would have been. This was voluntary on his part, I was willing to wait if he needed me to. His price came in exactly where the estimate did. I've driven the car over a month since then, highway and local and it seems just fine. He actually asked me to come back in a month after the repair, which I just did last week. He checked the transmission fluid, and test drove it with me. Given the questionable places and bad reviews I've seen for other shops, I would highly recommend him. He also does other kinds of repairs, and I would certainly use him for them. He does a fine job.

Category auto repair, transmission repair

Thanks for the wonderful feed back we strive to do the right job the first time!!!!! To do a transmission the RIGHT way you need to not take shortcuts and replace all those worn parts. I'm glad to have met you sir and it was a pleasure doing business with you thanks again!!!! Joe

07/11/2013

Paul J.

Category auto repair, car inspections

Oh yes you're daughters vehicle. We decided that the vehicle wasn't worth putting that much money into. I believe you made a great decision!! Thanks for the feed back.

06/12/2013

Muriel W.

Joe (the owner) was courteous and professional. We had the car towed there on a Friday as planned. He began work on the car the following Monday. He promised the car would be ready that Friday and much to our happiness we had the car back on Thursday.

Description of Work
Rebuild transmission, front brakes

Category auto repair, transmission repair

Thank you so much for the wonderful feed back!!!! You were also a pleasure to do business with thanks again for you're business. Joe

09/19/2012

gloria A.

I have been coming to Belmont-Watertown Transmission for a couple of years now for general repair work (don't be mislead by the name, they do a lot more than just transmissions) and I have been so pleased with the service, quality, and fair prices. I inherited a 2000 Audi A4 with a 120k miles, just in time for everything to slowly break piece by piece. These guys have been so honest! Once they even sent me to another shop that specializes in custom exhaust work where the bill was 1200$ less than if I had replaced the whole part through them. I recently brought my out of warranty 2007 BMW wagon for an oil change and new brake pads, and easily saved $600 from the dealer price. Needless to say car trouble is never fun, but BWT has made it much more painless.

Description of Work
General repairs

09/17/2012

Jodi G.

Extremely responsive and helpful throughout repair. Explained repairs in detail and showed me damaged parts when complete. Completed repairs ahead of schedule.

Description of Work
Rebuilt transmission for 1996 Chevy Impala.

Category auto repair, transmission repair

I'm so glad you were happy with the services we provided for you. thanks for the wonderful feed back

10/24/2011

Phillip N.

The guy there was a gentleman.

Description of Work
This was for an estimate for transmission work and auto service.

10/31/2009

Mary K.

Engine light related to transmission appeared on my 1999 Honda Odyssey. My mechanic doesn't do transmissions and recommended this company. They looked it over and said there was a problem with the pressure switch which caused a possible faulty reading. Replaced the switch and road tested and saw that cleared up indicator. When I requested changing the fluid he said that sometimes caused problems and talked me out of it. Thought that a good sign that they would turn down chance at more money. The shop looks deceptively small from street level, in the middle of urban street block, but when you go in the driveway it goes down a level and opens up much wider with room for six or so cars - I saw a Watertown police car when I was there. There is also a lot in back.

Description of Work
Checked out transmission due to engine light indicating transmission problem. Replace gear pressure switch and road tested and saw that cleared up indicator. Said they would credit payment to any future work necessary.

Auto Transmission
    Auto Service
    Auto Inspections
    $50

Automatic & Manual Transmission Repair & Services. Axle Repair & Replacement. Clutch Service & Replacement. Clutch & Transmission Rebuilds. Powertrain Service & Repair.