Abe Schickel & Co Inc

Massachusetts: Home Improvement

100 Galen St. Suite 203

Watertown, MA 02472

www.abeschickel.com

We are a meticulous and long-established house painting company that provides lasting and clean work for homeowners who want to carefully care for their home and living environment. We will really care for your home....

house painting (265)interior painting (229)pressure washing (23)wallpaper removal (23)plastering (14)deck cleaning (12)woodworking (9)wallpaper hanger (9)drywall (8)general contractors (7)door installation (6)window replacement (5)

12/28/2021

Jessica F.

Abe and his team painted two bedrooms, our stairwell, and did some touch up work as well. They did fantastic work and I would recommend them highly. Abe was very communicative throughout the process and was thorough, considering every detail and ensuring that the work would be done correctly. The team was timely each day and left our house spotless after each working session (or even cleaner than they found it). Abe, Carlos, Washington, and Ron were all very pleasant to work with and we will definitely call again when we need more painting done.

Description of Work
Interior painting

Work Completed On 12/20/2021

08/04/2020

Gamble W.

Abe’s team painted our new rental unit, and it came out beautifully! They were even able to paint the steel beam and stairs, which was no easy task. I highly recommend Abe!

Description of Work
Painting in rental unit

Work Completed On 07/13/2020

Review for Abe Schickel & Co Inc - 100 Galen St., Watertown, MA - 38773355

07/25/2020

S C A.

Abe and his crew are superior! Tremendous integrity, attention to detail, hard working, cleaned up every nite and thoroughly nice people. This is the 3rd time Abe did our house...1997, 2010, and they just finished this morning. Given all the Covid-19 challenges Abe was conscientious w posted signs, wash station, masks, etc.

Description of Work
Painted the outside of our house

Category contractors, replacement windows, pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 07/25/2020

06/25/2020

Catherine A.

Unprofessional, not checking what job was requested or distance from Watertown to job before making appointment for estimate. Calling after scheduled appointment time, informing job too small and too far away (23 miles and less than half an hour). Waste of time.

Description of Work
Deck Maintenance

Category deck cleaning

Work Completed On 06/25/2020

12/03/2019

Kristin H.

Abe and his crew were great to work with. By the time they patched the fairly large cracks in my walls, they looked like new. Also, they were incredibly clean. The job took 2 days and they cleaned up very well after each day. I hardly noticed they were there - except that the work was done!

Description of Work
Patched cracked walls and painted 2 interior rooms

Work Completed On 09/02/2019

10/29/2019

Darryl W.

Abe was very professional in every step of the process. He offered suggestions for color combinations that matched my tastes and even offered his ideas about painting the gutter downspouts the same as the house color to blend in nicely. The painters were very detailed in their work and made sure all painted surfaces were prepped and completely painted without any streaks or color bleeding. Exceptional job. I would definitely hire Abe services again.

Description of Work
exterior painting of home, garage with aluminum siding, and downspouts

Category pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 10/29/2019

06/12/2019

Nicole M.

Excellent!! Extremely professional and punctual painters. They worked efficiently and were meticulous with details throughout our home. This was the MOST PROFESSIONAL group of contractors my husband and I have ever worked with. Our house was honestly cleaner after it was painted than it was before. The owner Abe has a heart of gold and is an honest businessman that genuinely cares about the people he employs as well as his customers. I am tremendously satisfied.

Description of Work
Outside of house painted as well as 4 interior rooms; removed old wall a/c, patched shingles and repaired insulation and fixed interior walls

Category contractors, drywall, plastering, pressure washing, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 06/12/2019

01/17/2019

Jack S.

Responsive with quote; competitive price; answered all questions; arrived on time; hard working and polite crew; careful protection and cleanup; and a beautiful result. Truly worth the cost.

Description of Work
Full interior painting, with extensive preparation due to peeling ceilings and cracked plaster.

Work Completed On 12/17/2018

12/14/2018

Julian L.

Abe Schickel came to my house a few days after I emailed for an appointment, conforming to my schedule. He did a thorough inspection of the house and provided a detailed estimate for painting its interior. I am sure that if I had hired him for the work, he would have done an excellent job. He was courteous, professional, and communicative, letting me know what he planned and why he planned it. In the end, I chose to hire a different painter whose estimate was much lower: in this case, I am only looking for "good enough." But if you're looking for a really good job, and are willing to pay for it, I recommend considering him. (My note says I wouldn't hire him, but that's because I will be moving out of the area--I'm having the house painted in preparation for sale.)

Description of Work
Interior painting of my house

Work Completed On 12/14/2018

11/04/2018

Annie S.

Abe was extremely professional. He promptly responded to my inquiry and came out and gave me an estimate, which was fair. He then fit me in between outside jobs and re-painted several ceilings plus painted my kitchen and hallway. The team that came left my home spotless and were pleasant and professional. The work was very well done. I would recommend Abe and certainly use this company again.

Description of Work
Interior painting

Work Completed On 10/11/2018

01/16/2018

Paul G.

We were very satisfied with the painting that was done by Abe and his men. They did everything promised in very punctual and professional manner. Their prep and cleanup were superior. In addition, the men who did the work were friendly, courteous and professional. I have and will continue to recommend Abe Schickel to my friends and colleagues.

Description of Work
Abe and his very professional crew painted the interior of our home.

Work Completed On 12/20/2017

12/28/2017

Kristina R.

Abe's team once again did an excellent job for the second time we have hired them. Very professional and thorough. Cleanup was excellent with no debris. We are very pleased with the outcome.

Description of Work
Paint stairwell, upstairs hallway, and front door, including trim.

Category interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 12/19/2017

12/13/2017

DAVID R.

Extremely well. We were highly pleased with quality and workmanship and attention to detail including neatness and clean-up upon conclusion of work. Expectations were fully communicated and fully met.

Description of Work
Painting of kitchen walls, ceiling, trim and cabinetry including stripping of old wallpaper from kitchen walls.

Category wallpaper removal, interior painters

Work Completed On 11/01/2017

05/18/2017

Michael W.

I cannot praise their work highly enough. Not only was the work product exceptional, but they were highly professional to deal with. They showed up when they said they would, paid close attention to detail (there was a lot of trim work involved), and were meticulous about clean up EVERY DAY. Worth every penny, and would not hesitate to use them again or recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Scraping and painting a large Victorian house in Cambridge

Work Completed On 05/15/2017

05/07/2017

Scott C.

Abe was a pleasure to work with and was always very responsive. He was respectful of our needs here and helpful in making decisions on how to proceed. His team was amazing, and did some of the finest plasterwork I've seen. We had a lot of plaster repairs to accomplish here, and the walls look restored to original quality now. They did a beautiful job with the painting and we would and will hire them again for future work.

Description of Work
complete interior of house painted, and plasterwork repair.

Category plastering, interior painters

Work Completed On 04/21/2017

05/07/2017

Emily P.

They were fast, thorough and super clean (which was important to me because I have two young kids). I chose Abe after meeting with 3 other painters because his prices were competitive, and I liked his professionalism and responsiveness. I look forward to hiring Abe again for future painting projects.

Description of Work
Abe and his team expertly handled a LOT of both interior and exterior trim work for us after we had 20 windows in our home replaced.

Work Completed On 07/06/2016

04/10/2017

Maureen O.

Abe reviewed the property, advised me on what needed to be done and how it would be accomplished. We agreed on the price and a timeframe for completion of the work. As well, Abe said that power washing the fence would be necessary and suggested that we review how the fence looked after the washing. Abe thought that it wouldn't need to be painted...and he was correct. That saved me significant money. He also made wonderful suggestions about staining my deck and stairs. The crew that Abe sent were totally professional and worked diligently to complete the job. They did remarkable work on scraping the house to prep for painting. There was no slacking off with these folks. They cleaned up every day and were very polite and responsive to my questions. I expect to hire Abe in the future. He did a spectacular job with a very well trained crew of painters. I will be moving soon and expect to hire Abe again for the new location.

Description of Work
In the summer 0f 2016, I needed to paint the exterior of my garrison colonial home. I contacted Mr. Schickel and he responded very quickly with a visit to my home and a walk through followed by a quote. I also wanted by cedar fence painted and the deck/stairs stained.

Category deck cleaning, pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 04/10/2017

10/09/2016

Kelly C.

Abe walked into my large Brookline home and gave me an estimate for painting two bathrooms and filling a few holes of $4350! I found someone who gave me a price of $950 the next day, took him two days and he did a beautiful job. Buyer beware - "honest" Abe this ain't.

Description of Work
Estimate to paint two bathroos

Work Completed On 10/05/2016

I am happy for this homeowner that she received a good paint job for her bathrooms at such an inexpensive price. I submitted to this homeowner an honest proposal for the work that I saw and understood needed to be done on her large and complex rooms which needed a lot of TLC. My detailed proposal was based on my 32 years of knowledge and expertise operating a professional, registered, lead paint certified, fully insured company that provides excellent preparation and painting services. I hope that future customers will read the many, many other reviews that attest to the honesty and meticulous quality of my work. Thank you, Abe Schickel

08/22/2016

Amy C.

We hired Abe's team to paint nearly every room in our 130 year old victorian home before we moved in. The walls had not been touched in several years and Abe's crew did an incredible job repairing the plaster and prepping the walls as needed. While it was not an inexpensive project, I did not want to take a risk and go cheap on such an extensive project and Abe's quote was still slightly lower than 2 others we received, which I was happy about because I felt most confident in his ability to deliver after doing the initial walkthrough with him. Abe offered advice and his opinion to help me make decisions, which I appreciated as a first time owner of an older home. Abe's communication was terrific and he would call me with updates or questions often. They were able to slot our interior job in on rainy days and get it done ahead of schedule, but I had no concerns about it being done before moving day as Abe was very deadline focused. We are thrilled with the way it came out and are actually looking forward to having them back to finish one room when a renovation is complete this fall.

Description of Work
Painting entire interior of home, including some wallpaper removal and extensive wall prep.

Work Completed On 05/15/2016

06/09/2016

JoAnne and Lionel F.

The quality of work that was done was top notch. He is a bit expensive.

Description of Work
They painted the exterior of our home.

Work Completed On 10/15/2015

05/21/2016

Patricia D.

It was remarkable from beginning to end. This review should have been written last summer, and I apologize for not doing it then, for Abe's sake. However, the upside of the delay is that I can report one year out the house looks like it was painted last week. Abe came to do the initial review of the job, which was somewhat complicated because this is a very long, narrow dwelling, with several roof intersections, most areas of the siding were original to the house, i.e. close to 300 years old, and there were some repairs that needed to be done (which was taken care of by another terrific company, local and experienced in these old colonials). He was quite willing to look at ways to trim the costs, which would have added another $8,000-$10,000 to make it even better, but would have put us way out of our budget. So the wood muntins (mullions?) under the storms weren't painted, because that would have necessitated removing recently added storms; the window frames were painted the same color as the clapboards, and the house was spot primed rather than completely primed. That being said, the entire building was carefully washed and scraped, primed where needed, which was extensive, and all the substructures that could have been in poor condition (but for the most part weren't), were examined and those that did need repair were done by the outside carpenters. The crew members were to a man competent, careful, responsive to any questions or suggestions I had, and very pleasant to be around. When he wasn't on the premises, Abe called to check on how things were going, always made himself available if there were any concerns, and he did stop by at random times just to keep up with the progress. His crew spoke about how much they liked working for him, and one could tell this was a well-run, mutually respectful and successful team. In addition, Abe himself is an unusually kind, thoughtful, and attentive person, with not a trace of the impatience condescension one encounters from time to time with people working on properties.

Description of Work
Painted the exterior of a circa 1720 house.

Work Completed On 06/01/2015

05/16/2016

Adriaan L.

It was a fantastic experience. He painted all the trim on a brick house in 2 days, and it looks great. We have an old house and small kids and were concerned about lead. Abe's team did a wonderful job keeping everything clean, cleaning up each day,etc. They took out and then later put back the screens to prevent lead dust from getting in them. They also somehow managed not to trample on my flowers, which i didn't think was possible given their placement right under the windows to be painted. The painters (a team of 3) were all very nice. I will definitely hire them again whenever I need an inside or outside paint job.

Description of Work
Painted all trim of brick house, painted exterior doors.

Work Completed On 05/02/2016