ASH-GO CHIMNEY

Founded 1997 • With Angi since December 2005

7 O'CONNELL WAY

Stow, MA 01775

all phases of chimney maintenance and repair. Custom jobs and jobs over $500 a third down is required. cash/check only

02/16/2021

Matthew F.

This is a good review in the end... The actual visit and subsequent sweep turned out to be not so great. Ash-Go had sent a young guy to my job and my gut told me he was not very good and maybe not too knowledgeable. I waited a month to write a review so that I could have another company come in and do another check; as I suspected the person Ash-Go had sent did not do the job right. I called and spoke to Jim who was very calm and understanding, sympathized with what happened, and refunded my money. He also promised that if I called them again, he would be the one to come out. I had done my research and Ash-Go seems to be reputable, so I'm happy that in the end they did the right thing and acknowledged the issue. So few people take accountability these days, so when a company does own up, I have to give them a high rating. I would hire Ash-Go again based on this experience. Every company is going to experience ups and downs with employees as time goes on, but we shouldn't judge them harshly on a single mistake, especially when they own up to it.

Description of Work
Chimney cleaning

Category chimney sweep

Thank you [Member Name Removed], We appreciate and respect all our customers and certainly appreciate the updated review. We are not perfect but being consumers too, we want to work with contractors that are honest and accept responsibility. So many (contractors) don't work this way and it gives all of us in the service industry a bad name.

10/31/2020

Jorge R.

Unfortunately work was not completed. Person who set up appointment was super nice, 2 guys who showed up at my house on time were nice, although they didn’t bother to wipe their feet and dragged wet leaves into my house. Guys showed up and after fiddling around with my pellet stove insert for about 20 mins they informed me they didn’t have proper Tools to do the job. They put everything back together and left. I waited 3 weeks for this appointment and lost 1/2 vac day for nothing. No one from the company even called to apologize. I had informed them I had a pellet stove insert and they assured me it wouldn’t be an issue. I went back to the company I bought the stove from and they will get the work done, in another 3 weeks. Would not hire or recommend.

Description of Work
Chimney cleaned

03/26/2020

michael L.

every thing went good. the were on time and told me everything that they wre going to do. they cleaned up after themself.

Description of Work
take out old liner and replace with new one.

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

04/30/2019

Sungjun P.

Jim sounds very nice, though. He cut a corner and did not work properly. I suggested him to correct his silly jobs. Unfortunately, he never answer back to me. Only after 6 months, look at my chimney and how terrible he has covered up.

Description of Work
1. Grind out and repoint all blown mortar joints on chimney exterior with new mortar / 2. Parge top 2 courses as discussed with new mortar / 3. Remove all moss and debris and apply 2 coats of chimney saver waterproofing to entire exterior of chimney to top and prevent saturation leaks and masonry damage.

02/11/2019

Peter S.

Went well. Had to reschedule a few times due to snow, but eventually connected. Was a relief to know the metal flue was in fine shape and after cleaning, we felt confident to have large, hot fires!

Description of Work
Chimney inspection and cleaning

11/21/2018

Peter T.

He was right on time, did a thorough inspection including a visual inspection of the cap. He could have told us it needed cleaning since it was an old house and we hadn’t had the chimney inspected before but he was honest that it did not need to be cleaned.

Description of Work
Chimney inspection (for potential cleaning)

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

02/12/2018

Jill C.

Great service. Johnny inspected and gave me a detailed assessment of the situation. He brought in drop cloths to protect our floor and prevent any dust from escaping into our room. He was pleasant and professional. I will recommend them to friends.

Description of Work
Chimney inspection and cleaning

02/08/2018

Bruce T.

Fine. He did it all from the fireplace (it was around 10° outside). He said they have new equipment now that keeps them from having to do it down the chimney near as much. He did a good job cleaning up too. I'll give him an A for quality, though it would really be hard to tell how good of a job he did up the flue. He certainly put in the effort.

Description of Work
Sweep the chimney.

01/09/2018

steven O.

It went great. James was right on time, very professional and did a great job. We are going to have him come back in the Spring to do some flashing work on our chimney and button up a few things that could use a little maintenance.

Description of Work
Had our wood stove flue cleaned.

12/17/2017

Bruce H.

Ash-Go was responsive and prompt all the way around; returning calls, keeping me updated and showing up for flue cleaning as scheduled. In this day and age that alone is worth some bucks. The chimney sweep was efficient and new his job.

Description of Work
Fireplace and oil burner flue cleaning.

Category chimney sweep

Thank you [Member Name Removed]! We try our best. We follow old school principles.!

08/22/2017

Andrew H.

service was professional and friendly; had to rent a lift supplied by them as part of the cost

Description of Work
repointed chimney and added 2 chimney caps

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

08/14/2017

Thom K.

Excellent! Great service, great value.

Description of Work
Chimney cleaning and inspec

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair, fireplaces

03/11/2017

Brett L.

The chimney inspection indicated a possible water leak. The ASH-GO representative then told me I needed to have my chimney re-flashed and suggested a product called FlashSeal. Desiring to be an educated consumer, and having prior experience with aluminum step flashing on a roof, I asked the rep for an explanation of why the flashing on my brand new roof was inadequate? At this point, he became agitated, told me he'd write me a quote, and left. I never received a quote for the flashing work. I have since called twice, and despite the postcard I received in the mail earlier this week saying "all calls returned within 24 hours," I have yet to receive a call back. I have called a few other chimney companies, and unfortunately, none perform the type of repair I need.

Description of Work
I contacted ASH-GO after purchasing a new home to perform a chimney inspection. I have a wood/stucco chimney for a wood fireplace insert.

Category chimney repair

Inspected customer's chimney on 11/[Member Information Removed]/16. At this time customer stated he had flashed the chimney himself but was having a leak. After a complete inspection/evaluation. My tech observed that only the roof against chimney was flashed with tin. However, there was no lead flashing installed on chimney which is a major part of flashing a chimney and is crucial to provide an overlap of tin and roof to prevent leaks. This step was totally skipped and should have been installed during construction of chimney itself. Tech. explained these facts to customer and advised that installation of lead after chimney is constructed is unreliable unless brick above lead line are removed then replaced after lead installation and that removing solid brick from newly built chimney usually creates damage to surrounding brick and will turn job into expensive nightmare. Customer quite aggressively disagreed stating he had experience in flashing work and had done many flashing jobs this way (no lead) Tech. displayed extreme patience, as all techs are trained to do in such situation and informed customer that he would relay information to me (owner). After discussion with tech. I agreed that diagnosis and solution suggested were correct properly explained to customer. Tech then recommended flash-seal as a much better less expensive and guaranteed solution. At this point I decided not to send quote for obvious reasons. I assumed it would be simply discarded and that the customer had already moved on in his search for a company that would do things "his way". We send out a postcard mailing to customers that we have worked with that may need other services come the next season. For this mail-out we try to be extremely diligent about weeding out people who for whatever reason we think would not be interested in our services, so as not to bother them or waste anyone's time. Occasionally one slips through that should not have gone out. Customer received the postcard approx. 3/3/17, called us 3/10/17, Friday evening, after no contact since 11/[Member Information Removed]/16. We were quite surprised to hear from him. He waited 2 days (Sunday) and submitted his review. We honestly hope customer can find someone to do the type of repair "he needs" in "his way".

02/25/2017

Gail K.

In the end, , ash-go was very responsive. Jim the owner, contacted me after my former negative review and offered to come to my home, and reassess the problem. He was very gracious, and, I believe knowledgable. He apologized for the prior cancellations which had prompted my previous negative review. I believe he found the source of the original problem . In the end, I appreciated that he cared about the quality of his company's work and about customer service. We parted friends!

Description of Work
research source of cellar smoke. The chimney was cleaning and furnace flue capped

02/13/2017

John P.

Very well. Arrived on time, cleaned up, advised re: some things to consider regarding our aging pre-fab firebox. Very professional.

Description of Work
Chimney swept and firebox inspected

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces

12/15/2016

MALCOLM C.

Asked them to quote, exchanged emails over a period of a month. Never received a quote. Apparently they have more business then they can handle.

Description of Work
Chimney cap

Category chimney caps

We have reached out to [Member Name Removed] via email and will be performing the work in the spring.

12/07/2016

Mark H.

Ash-Go passed with flying colors. He arrived on time, did a thorough cleaning and left our fireplace and floor spotless. He also spotted some erosion of the mortar on the 'shoulders' on the outside of the chimney, which is exposed to rain -- and recommended "repointing" the mortar, a minor problem I also noticed and planned to fix. Last but not least, he did not "discover" major problems (that were not there) and recommend costly fixes. (A common problem with fly-by-night "chimney maintenance" companies.) In short, if you need your chimney cleaned, call Ash-Go. They earned a AAA rating. If your chimney does need repairs, I would also trust this company based on the way they handled our job.

Description of Work
After 6 years of use every winter, our chimney definitely needed cleaning. I found Ash-Go on the Angies List website and called. Being an experienced home remodeler, it is always interesting to evaluate a new sub-contractor. Will they arrive on time? Will they do a good job, and clean up afterwards? Will they notice real problems? Will they try to cook up "urgent upgrades", to up-sell costly repairs?

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair, fireplaces

11/07/2016

Miles B.

Very well. As usual, things cost more than I'd like, but it wasn't unreasonable. I did not shop around, however, so I'm not really sure where the price fell in relation to competitors.

Description of Work
Patching roof around chimney and external pipe.

12/10/2015

Rip J.

Jim and Johnny were great! Very professional and knowledgeable. They started / finished the project exactly when they said they would....price was reasonable. I've been using my fireplace quite bit since the project was completed and it's working great! I highly recommend Ash Go.

Description of Work
re-pointed 3 chimneys; put in chimney liner; waterproofed

Category chimney repair, fireplaces

10/06/2015

Kelly T.

Was on time. Professional and completed the job in a timely manner. Took photos of the inside of our chimney with recommendations for repair to share with us via email. Would recommend.

Description of Work
Cleaned chimney.

10/02/2015

Heather S.

Johnny was awesome -- he was very polite, communicated timing and explained everything to me as he went through. By the time he was finished, my fireplaces were clean and clear, and I knew what I needed to do next to take care of the house. He was fabulous!

Description of Work
Clean two fireplaces, clear out ash dump and clean out dryer vent

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair, fireplaces, dryer vent cleaning

09/24/2015

Josh H.

Very knowledgeable and totally honest with us about what work he could and couldn't do and guided us in the right direction. Responsive and helpful.

Description of Work
Came out to give estimate of repairs and lining needed for chimney and furnace in old house.

07/11/2015

Daniel A.

He originally quoted me around $800.00. I assumed it may go as high as $1200.00. He then sent me an e-mail on the exact price, but I could not open it. I tried to call him a couple times to let them know and they never returned my call. I then had my nephew call for me. I was able to see the estimate which had suddenly become $1869.00. He then accused me of making him uncomfortable. He also accused me of having another company that dropped the job.

Description of Work
Jim came out and gave me an estimate for building new brick front steps.

Category masonry

07/02/2015

Marni K.

See above. Very happy to be working with AshGo and will be using them for maintenance going forward.

Description of Work
Assessed our repair needs, explained the process of installing and correcting the flue lining in our antique colonial including the safety and technical features, the warranty information, and the scope of time and expense. They were responsive, experienced, and friendly. A professional small local operation.

06/25/2015

PAUL H.

He was very professional. He laid dropclothes down so he didn't make a mess on my carpets. Very happy w/ service.

Description of Work
Inspected my fireplace and cleaned my dryer vent

Category chimney sweep, chimney repair, fireplaces, dryer vent cleaning

Thanks [Member name removed]. We always enjoy seeing you and appreciate the support!!!

MasonWorks LLC

MasonWorks specializes in design and construction of all types of stone and brick patios, walls and walkways, steps, decks and porches, outdoor kitchens and water falls, garden and retaining walls. From the first consultation to the final touches of each job, you will be in excellent hands. With more than three decades of experience, MasonWorks will assist you in every stage of the project, from materials choice to furniture selection. Your dream of owning an elegant and relaxing backyard retreat can become a reality. Family owned. Additional contact name - Jeff Souza. Additional e-mail - jeff@masonworks.me. Angie's List Award winning since 2009. Additional area served- Boston Metro, North sure and West

Award 2022
    Offers by MasonWorks LLC on Angi
    Eddie and Simon

Masonry; Stone wall, bricks, blocks, concrete, stairs, pavers, chimney, repairs.

Ebenezer Landscape Inc

We are a family company that offers a variety of lawn care, landscaping and outdoor designing services. We are proud to provide services to meet your full satisfaction whether your reside in Framingham, MA or in nearby Metrowest area towns. Whether you are a residential customer, commercial establishment, independent contractor or company, we will provide our best service to satisfy your particular needs. 10 years of experience.

Offers by Ebenezer Landscape Inc on Angi
    Massachusetts
    Massachusetts: Home Improvement
    09/13/2023

cleaning, caps, liners, woodstove/pellet installs, all phases of masonry repair/construction, repointing, brick replacement, rebuilds, flashing, waterproofing, animal removal. Other: dryer vents cleaned, step/wall repair/stonework, gutter cleaning