Sherman's Appliance & Refrigeration Service

LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly
Eco FriendlyEco Friendly

Melrose

Melrose, MA 02176

We are taking additional precautions to protect our customers.

Fully Insured Family owned business. Excellent reputation. Repair all major brands. Phones are always answered and we are happy to answer your questions. Marc has been repairing appliances since 1979. Please call us if you have a question....

appliance repair (130)small appliance repair (7)large appliances (2)plumbers (1)

03/18/2021

Lynne K.

Our ice maker died, and Marc came out with a replacement unit only to find the wiring harness had been cut and the unit had been installed with wing nuts and tape. That installation probably led to the electrical failure of my unit. Marc went above and beyond in replacing it in a way that is far less likely to fail- he returned with marine grade shrink wraps for the wires! Brilliant!! He comes over when he says he will, he returns your calls and- I have ice!!

Description of Work
Ice maker stopped working

Work Completed On 03/17/2021

02/10/2021

Rob C.

I called Marc after another outfit “disappeared” on me before the work was complete. At the initial service call, Marc examined my malfunctioning dishwasher and showed/explained to me why the problem would continue to occur in the 15+ year old machine. He didn’t try to perform a repair that he knew wouldn’t work, and he gave me a break on the service call knowing that I had a big purchase on my horizons. Appreciating his honesty, responsiveness and friendliness, I called on Marc to do the installation once the new machine was purchased. The ~$423 I paid included two service calls, installation and removal of the old machine. As I told Marc, I hope not to see him again for a while, but I know who to call when the need arises. Thank you, Sherman Appliance!

Description of Work
Dishwasher repair/replacement

10/21/2020

David B.

The initial visit was fast, but then it took several weeks and many phone calls to get him back to finish the repair. Also, no discussion about charges until the final bill which was probably more than the appliance was worth. Had I known that upfront, likely would have just replaced the unit. Also, he spent a lot of time talking and complaining about unrelated topics. Not very professional and will not call again.

Description of Work
Dishwasher Repair

Work Completed On 08/05/2020

sorry you feel that way. good luck in the future.

09/25/2020

Tracie E.

Good, I got my dishwasher fixed and put into position as it hadn't been before when it was originally installed -- so, actually it's better than before!

Description of Work
Dishwasher door

Work Completed On 09/22/2020

04/05/2020

Sharlee D.

Arrived when promised and fixed my problem. Thank you.

Description of Work
Gas oven repair

Work Completed On 03/18/2020

01/08/2020

Peg M.

ask about service charge before you hire it is higher than average for below average work

Description of Work
refridgerator repair

Work Completed On 01/02/2020

10/03/2019

Sarah G.

Washing machine is fixed, but the company was really unprofessional, was not clear about a timeframe for when they would arrive (I had to take a whole day off versus just the morning), and they left a large scratch in our hardwood floors.

Description of Work
washing machine

Work Completed On 09/12/2019

09/03/2019

Janet C.

Went great! They scheduled the appointment quickly, and figured out the problem within the first 5 minutes (a utensil that had dropped into the oven.) The repairman removed the utensil, cleaned the oven and put everything back together. My interaction with Sherman Appliances was so much more efficient than dealing with a large service company trying to handle a warranty. Would highly recommend them and will certainly use them again if the need arises.

Description of Work
Diagnosing the cause of an oven fire

Work Completed On 08/23/2019

02/19/2019

Douglas K.

This guy is great!! He answers his phone, he shows up when he says he's coming and did the work quickly at a fair price. He was going to be late when bringing a part and he called to apologize. He then showed when he said he would arrive. If only everyone was as professional! Marc Sherman is a treasure!

Description of Work
Dishwasher would not fill and run

Work Completed On 02/19/2019

A treasure:) Thanks for the kind review. Marc.

12/28/2018

NANCY L.

I called Marc who returned my call in 30 minutes. He thought it seemed to be a fan issue. Since I had back-up fridge in the basement he was able to order the fan and come 2 days later. Unfortunately I misunderstood one of his questions so it wasn't the fan. He thought we'd need a new fridge but then he literally got inside it and listened. He heard a grinding noise and realized that the gear that moved the vent to allow cold air into the fridge from the freezer wasn't working. He ordered the replacement part, came a few days later (no problem since we were away for Christmas) and installed it in a flash. A wonderful man (and his helper)!

Description of Work
The fridge part of my 14 year old Kenmore fridge was no longer cooling. The freezer was fine.

Work Completed On 12/28/2018

Thank you for the nice review. Have a Happy and Healty New Year. Marc

04/06/2018

Lydia C.

Mark is very knowledgeable in many aspects of appliance installing and repair. He did a quality job. We felt the total price was higher than we anticipated but to be fair we should have asked up front.

Description of Work
Cooktop & Fan installed

Category appliance repair, small appliance repair

Work Completed On 04/06/2018

Review for Sherman's Appliance & Refrigeration Service - Melrose, Melrose, MA - 36980708

03/05/2018

Margaret M.

They called before coming out. By then, the refrigerator was cooling and freezing somewhat. they diagnosed a blocked compressor drain. Cleaned the drain and realigned the bottom freezer draw so that it would close tightly. Was about an hour's work. Cleaned up well after the job. The refrigerator is working well now. Would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Our refrigerator stopped working - would not cool or freeze. I found Sherman's on Angie's list and called. He made an appointment for the following morning to come out and look at the refrigerator.

Work Completed On 02/09/2018

02/14/2018

erin J.

The work was done quickly, professionally and he and his assistant were very friendly. They got here later than I expected (by about an hour), but then again, it was the day after I called him. They gave a thorough description of the problem and solution. I was very pleased.

Description of Work
Repaired a broken wire in our refrigerator

Work Completed On 02/14/2018

Thanks for the kind and rather fast review. Im sorry we were 1 hour late, but the traffic around the Boston area is unpredictable. Hope all else is well. Thank you. Marc.

08/18/2017

Anne W.

Sherman Appliance Repair responded within the day of my email and was able to come by the next day to fix the dishwasher. He had the part needed based on my description of the problem and took care of everything in about an hour.

Description of Work
Repair Bosch dishwasher that was not filling properly.

Work Completed On 06/30/2017

It is nice to see a happy customer:) . Thank you for your kind review.

07/02/2017

Michelle G.

I called to schedule an appointment after Sears (see my review for details) had changed my appointment time without notifying me. Marc answered and was able to come to my home within the hour. After my disappointment with Sears, I was obviously elated (it took 8 days to get the Sears appointment). Marc diagnosed the problem in minutes. He had the parts necessary to repair my washer in his van, so he quoted me a price and proceeded to repair my washer. He answered all of my questions, was thorough and professional. I would definitely hire Sherman's again!

Description of Work
Sherman's repaired my washing machine which had stopped draining mid cycle.

Work Completed On 06/29/2017

Thanks for the nice review. I have to admit the hour thing doesnt usually happen, but i was right around the corner finishing up a job. Have a great New Year. Marc.

06/27/2017

Michael P.

On 6/26/16 -last year- Sherman Appliance Repair replaced our ice maker, arriving punctually, going out to get the new part, and putting in the new one efficiently and for a reasonable price. On 6/24/17, a Saturday, I called and got Marc Sherman on his cell phone and he immediately and good humoredly acknowledged that I was notifying him two days before the year he warrantees his work had run out. Even though I was now last year's business, he scheduled a time for early Monday to come look at the unit. On finding that it needed to be replaced again, he called his supplier and found that the part had only been warrantied for ninety days. I agreed to pay his cost for the part, and now, the next day, I have a new ice maker merrily cranking out the cubes. I could not have wished for a better or more professional response.

Description of Work
Replace a Frigidaire refrigerator's ice maker.

Category small appliance repair

Work Completed On 06/27/2017

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. A+ customer. Thanks for taking the time to write a great review. Thanks, Marc.

06/27/2017

James K.

Aweful. Five years ago, he came to repair gas burners on our stove that were not lighting. While he fixed the igniter, the very next day flames were shooting out of the bottom of the burners because of a failure to properly seal the connections. We thought the stove was going to explode. We had to have someone else come and fix his "repair" as we no longer trusted him. I never planned on hiring him again, but just last week but my wife forgot this past episode and had him back again to find our refrigerator's water leak. While he never found the leak, told us something else in the refrigerator was failing instead, said we needed to replace the $8,000 built in refrigerator/freezer, and charged us $150. So we hired for him to find and fix a water leak, of which he did neither, and he still billed us?!? So we were out $150, and no further ahead from when he stepped through the door. We since had "Same Day Service" in to check the same water leak, and within 15 min they identified its source and fixed it and now is working like a dream. So we didnt need to replace our $8,000 refrigerator after all as Sherman was claiming. Then, when Sherman saw the negative review above in Angie's List, he called my home at 7:00 am, angry as a hornet about how I was trying to "ruin his business" and was yelling the "F bomb" every 5th word, so I hung up on him! However when you read his response below, he is lying about the series of events making it sound like the gas leak just happened and trying to come across as such a caring gentlemen. I wish I could post an audio recording of him yelling at me, constantly throwing the F bomb. Beware, is a liar, a poor repairman, and appears to be mentally unstable. He might do a good job for you, but why take the risk when there are others that are so much better, like Same Day Service

Description of Work
Hired Sherman to do two jobs, fix a stove gas burner that wasn't igniting, and find a water leak in our refrigerator

Category appliance repair, small appliance repair

Work Completed On 06/20/2017

06/25/2017

JENNIFER Z.

Service was timely and clean. I have used Sherman before, but forgotten. After this repair I added them to my contact list.

Description of Work
Defrost Jenn Air refrigerator and install kit to prevent frost build up

Work Completed On 04/12/2017

06/18/2017

Rob E.

Marc was terrific. He answered when I called, showed up that day, diagnosed the problems, ordered the parts, and was back 3 days later to install and complete the repair. Just the way it is supposed to work. Would highly recommend.

Description of Work
Fixed dishwasher and washing machine.

Work Completed On 06/18/2017

05/17/2017

Peter H I.

Marc solved the issue by replacing a broken part but noted that the machine was on it's last leg due to more serious issues. He offered to take back the new part if we decided to replace the unit within 30 days, which we did and he kept his word. Excellent professionalism, consistent with my first experience when he fixed a filter issue on our refrigerator a couple of years ago.

Description of Work
Repair washer that was freezing on spin cycle.

Work Completed On 04/20/2017

05/03/2017

Naomi L.

Marc found the leak to be from the dishwasher resulting in the need to purchase a new one. He also educated us in the use of varying dishwasher detergents, and suggested installing a piece of plywood under the new dishwasher to level the floor. He removed the old dishwasher for us and installed the new one when it arrived. We are grateful for his knowledge and information

Description of Work
Check for leak of either garbage disposal or dishwasher

Work Completed On 05/03/2017

04/24/2017

Jay F.

Marc knows his stuff. He quickly figured out what needed to be done and parts to order. He did some work the day of the visit and then said he'd come back once he received the parts. After he went to the GE website and discovering that one part cost $700+, he proposed a different solution to save money. I appreciated that perspective. Marc returned a week later and installed the gasket and adjusted the door. The issues appear to be addressed. Cost of service listed below included parts.

Description of Work
GE Monogram refrigerator that needed the bottom freezer door gasket replaced, the freezer door & runners adjusted, and some general tune up work.

Work Completed On 04/24/2017