EAST COAST PAVING

Founded 1995 • With Angi since April 2007

4.2

PO Box 760696

Melrose, MA 02176

6 EMPLOYEES. NO SUBS. COST IS DETERMINED BY THE JOB. NO TRAVEL CHARGES. ASK ABOUT ANGIE'S LIST DISCOUNT. ...

11/17/2020

Christa T.

This company was recommended to me by a few people in a local group, but I'm afraid I can't in good conscious recommend East Coast Paving to others. Our experience began well, but ended terribly. Pros: It was easy to book an estimate for a full driveway replacement, and when it came in, it was on the lower end. We had to wait a while for the job to start, but the East Coast Paving team showed up on time when scheduled. The crew was friendly and did the work requested. Cons: If they make a mistake, they will ghost you instead of fixing the issue. (Check out other reviews - this seems to be pretty common. Buyer beware.) We had told them that other than the cracks in our old driveway, the big issue was that it didn't drain. There were some large depressions in the old driveway causing major puddling. I specifically said grading and drainage were the two things most important to us. It rained soon after our driveway installation and there were two major puddles 1+ inches deep in the newly installed driveway. I reached out a few times to East Coast Paving, and when I finally got a response, they sent someone over to attempt to fix the issue manually. The guy blowtorched the asphalt and tried to flatten the depressions by tamping (leaving some rough edge marks in the process) but the depressions were too severe. A rep came by after that and said they'd need to put down another layer. That was no problem - we were willing to wait. First, they said it would be a couple of weeks. Weeks went by, then they said there was an illness in the family (which I understand). More weeks went by, and they said there'd been a death (which I also understand). Then Covid happened. They promised we'd be next on the list in spring. Spring came and went with no contact. I reached out and they said they'd throw in a free seal because we waited so long, but then ghosted me again. I gave them more and more time because life happens, but since then, East Coast Paving has stopped responding to emails, messages, etc. I decided to dig into more reviews and found that we're not the only customers this has happened to. One of the common themes you'll find is that there's a mistake and the company just stops responding. Now we're eventually going to have pay as much as we paid to East Coast paving for driveway resurfacing by another company, which is really disappointing. I don't recommend you take a risk on this company.

Description of Work
Driveway resurfacing

Category concrete repair

06/04/2020

Dan J.

East Coast Paving did an excellent job on my driveway earning my highest recommendation for a service provider. Dylan and the crew showed up on time, were friendly and courteous, communicated everything clearly, and did a great job. They redid and extended my driveway in record time and left my yard cleaner than when they arrived. On top of that, when I asked for some modifications to be made, they understood and came back the NEXT MORNING and made the changes I’d requested. A highly expert, responsive, friendly, affordable, local, family-owned business that stands behind their work. What’s not to like? I’d use them again in a second.

Description of Work
Asphalt driveway

05/09/2018

Kim C.

Jessie and crew were amazing. The driveway came out beautiful and totally exceeded my expectations!

Description of Work
New Driveway

03/26/2017

Nancy S.

Very well. On time. Did an excellent job

Description of Work
New driveway.

11/10/2014

James F.

I always hesitate to right negative reviews as this is someone's livelihood but feel obligated when enough things go wrong. I used East Coast paving before, and if you go their website they posted an email I wrote about the first experience, which was great and why I hired them a second time. But my experience was exactly the opposite. I trusted the advice of the owner, again based on my experience, even though the proposal was little more than a price on a yellow receipt. I explained to the owner that the main reason I was redoing the driveway, beyond the fact it was in poor repair, was that I wanted to create a flat even surface for a basketball court, I kept repeating the fact and I thought the owner understood. First problem, my wife came to find me on a Saturday morning away from home, 'the pavers needed to talk to me.' I get there any the owner tells me I need to put in a dry well they could not get it to grade/drain with out it so the driveway would drain properly that would be an extra $3000. This was never mentioned previous to starting that it would be an issue. Never put in a proposal. Feels like bait and switch, but because they had done another driveway in the home I owned before moving to this one, I said because I trust you okay. Mind you the driveway had already been torn up and out when they mentioned this so I felt I had little choice. I also told them I did not have enough money put away to pay the extra $3000. The owner, Rob, said he could put down a rough coat and they would finish in the spring. The rough coat is shedding black gravel. It's in my house from being stuck on shoes, there are piles of it next to the driveway, the snow blower picks it up and shoots it around. It is a mess. Meanwhile, when I told them at the start about the basketball court and told them that the drain for the dry well would have to be away from the court, and even drew an area with chalk away from where I was going to put the post in, they put the drain in the middle of the court. Now they start putting the asphalt down. I say again, that I need the slope to be as small as possible to try and create a flat surface. The slope ends up being about a six inch difference from the basketball post to the drain, about twenty feet away, this seems extreme. Around the drain the slope is even more severe and the drain itself is recessed into the pavement by more than 2 inches. My only hope is that when they can fix the severe slope and 2and quot; recess with the finish coat. The drain, unfortunately is stuck where it is,. In the middle of the court. Fast forward to April. I start calling / texting I am ready to start back up. Rob said they could start as early as March, I contact them early April. I keep on getting put off, next week, no next week, next week, I keep having to bug them for a start date, keep bugging them, the rough coat is shedding gravel everywhere. about eight weeks later, they finally start. Meanwhile, the rough coat has shed so much of the black gravel it is coating everything, They finally start, and I had to hassle them for a start date, I remind them that want it as flat as possible. They finish and leave while I am not home and the drain cap is still recessed by at least 2 inches into the pavement, that is what we would call an ankle breaker, a non starter, ridiculous. I I text/call the owner about my disappointment, it feels like they did not listen to what I said, they did not care about the end product, and he tells me it will be a couple of hundred dollars to fix the issue. “Are you kidding me?” The job site is littered with cigarette butts, their is black gravel everywhere, bunches of it all over the place, left exactly where it is. He eventually sends some guys over and they fix the grade, and bring the drain cap up, but the slope makes me feel that from everywhere on the court you are shooting at a different height rim. Now it rains, and I see small puddles and foot marks pooling where the roller work was not smooth and where the crew walked over the hot asphalt when they left. It was not me. I taped everything up and threatened my children not to walk over the asphalt for days or they would lose their cell phones, tv and internet rights. So every time it rains I get to see what I think is sub par finish job. Also, guess what, taking care of the dry well is a huge pain, it clogs easily leaving inches of water within a huge radius, so I am there scraping out the screen out. And did I tell you that they asked if they could use some loose screen material that I had sitting around, rather than it being part of the installation process it was more like, hey that would be a good idea. So now I have a dry well that I have to maintain, poor finish job that pools with water in different places, and a slope on the driveway that effectively ruins the reason for the new driveway. The owner never follows up about the job, asks how it went, even realizing what my thoughts are on the subjects. Its the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand, I call another asphalt driveway company who is well respected and has great reviews in Angie's list for an opinion. He comes over and I ask him about the need for the dry well. He takes some measurements. “I would not have put in a drywell,” he says. I ask him what how he would rate the work, 1-10, 1 being the worst, he says, “I'd give it a 6 maybe a 6.5” So that's an F 60-65% is an F, and when you spend thousands of dollars and get F work you get upset. When you get F work, plus you don't feel like you were being listened to you grade them less than an F. I ask if it can be fixed. “Not without tearing it up again.” So now every time it rains, and the water pools up in foot prints and groove marks, or a huge puddle forms where the difficult to maintain dry well is, or I take a shot at the hoop I put in I am reminded of the sub part job and communication and get angry. I am sure I became the customer the owner did not not want to listen or deal with because I was upset with the work, So now every time it rains, and the water pools up, and I am cleaning the drain, hands freezing, I think of the extra $3000 grand, the bad finish work and an uneven basketball court.

Description of Work
Removed/Replaced Driveway Installed Dry Well

Category landscaping,driveway pavers

06/03/2014

Gordon S.

My neighbors were all happy as there wasn't any asphalt anywhere but the driveway. They did a nice job of grading the driveway for proper water drainage. They were respectful of the plants surrounding the driveway.

Description of Work
They ripped up the old driveway (about 210 sq ft) and installed new gravel, three inches of asphalt and a topcoat. They completed the work in a day. They also removed a section of fence they agreed to move that was adjacent to the driveway. He also installed a curb and two bollards to protect my neighbor's house.

03/18/2013

DAVID L.

We called them for sealcoating late in the fall and they said the weather was too cold; they did come by and made a decent estimate. We called back in the spring and they said they would contact us when they could take us on. They did not call for weeks, and so I called back and they said to keep waiting. After four rounds of this I gave up. Then when I was on vacation, they called on a Monday and said they would be there to do the work on Wednesday -- all I needed to do was confirm. I called them back and said it would not work. I asked for a date a couple of weeks in the future and they said they could not do that -- we would get one or two days notice at best. I gave up -- totally unprofessional.

Description of Work
No services performed except an estimate. See the story.

12/07/2012

A.J. Y.

Price is good. Everything went according to plan. End product was great. BUT, the company never pulled the necessary permit for the job. After I informed them of this, they never did it and never return any of my calls. Very bad followup.

Description of Work
Expand driveway approx 5ft. put up new retaining wall. blacktop and level driveway.

10/24/2012

Lynne E.

East Coast was quick to respond to my request for an estimate. Bob spent time explaining the scope of the job and how he would approach it. I got four estimates and East Coast was considerably the lowest. The crew found many very large boulders under the existing driveway, which explained the problems we were having. They spent a day removing all this, regraded and prepared the base. The entire job was finished in two days and looks beautiful. I felt this company was honest and thorough.

Description of Work
EAST COAST PAVING excavated and totally rebuilt a large y shaped driveway which I share with my neighbor.

01/13/2012

Philip G.

These guys were great. Explained and went over everthing with me. Came ontime and did a better job than I expected. They even used extra asphalt making my driveway thicker than usual as the load of asphalt they brought for the job was too much. My neighbors couldn't believe how thick they we laying this on. Update. One year later in cool October and it's starting to act a little funny? It's soft enough to punch gouges in with just the tip of a boot. Put a ladder up to do some painting and left deep marks. I've seal coated it in the spring and everything should be well hardened by now. Not sure why the asphalt is soft???

Description of Work
I had my driveway repaved, widened and made longer. Also repaved my basketball half court

The Pros, Inc. - Landscape Design & Build

We specialize in designing & installing backyard with state of-the- art Hardscapes, Landscapes & outdoor living, Outdoor kitchen, water feature, lighting & more. With over 20 years in Combined experience, hundreds of successful project completed and a range of fully satisfied customers over the years, we guarantee a TRUE PROFESSIONAL service for your all of your outdoor projects needs with us. FULL project management! Best rates! Full satisfaction guaranteed!

Offers by The Pros, Inc. - Landscape Design & Build on Angi
    Vision Landscaping

With more than 10 years of professional landscaping experience, we are here to address all your landscaping needs and dreams.

Stefano's Landscaping Design and Construction

Stefano's Landscaping, located in Saugus, MA, is owned and operated by Greg Stefano, established in 2002, and incorporated in 2006. We pride ourselves on being a full-service landscape and construction company, serving both residential and commercial properties. Regardless of the size or complexity of each project, Stefano's excels at constructing environments noted for quality, and attention to detail. Projects are professionally designed, built, maintained and supervised by experienced management with a dedicated commitment to customer satisfaction. We provide only the highest quality products on all landscape and construction projects. When you choose Stefano’s Landscaping, you benefit from our extensive experience. Additional DBAs - Stefano's Landscaping Co, Stefano's Landscaping Greg Stefano. Stefano's Landscaping is a Belgard Authorized Contractor. We also belong to the following organizations, BBB, PLANET and SIMA. And are ICPI and NCMA certified.

PAVING, PAVERS, WALLS, SEAL COAT, PATIOS & EXCAVATION.